Let's discuss this Google vs Microsoft War ( because we're the ones losing :p )

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/30/935121a6f261e11f543d9716e637726f.jpg

Google has explained this quite well, and I can guarantee that ever since Google+ has been required for commenting, the quality of comments and finding more relevant comments has become way more easy.

While yes, Google has a hidden agenda to "promote Google+" it still doesn't mean that this is bad.

To the best of my knowledge, the co founder was enraged but did not quit YouTube and I'm pretty sure he realized later that what Google did was actually a good idea.

Requiring Google+ has has done more good than harm, and I don't understand why you people call Google+ subpar? What is your definition of a good social network?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The problem is,I don't need another social network account. Nor do I need another email account just to comment on YouTube videos. I already have an outlook account, and a Facebook account(Which, by the way, is far better than Google+). Why should there be a "YouTube account" like before where you could enter any email account and sign up? Google is just forcing people to use gmail and Google+. I hate this kind of monopoly. I bet if Microsoft made it a requirement to logon to Skype only with a Microsoft account, and not by a Skype name, outlook would skyrocket. But do people like that? To be forced to use an intermediate service in order to access a service? I don't.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The problem is,I don't need another social network account. Nor do I need another email account just to comment on YouTube videos. I already have an outlook account, and a Facebook account(Which, by the way, is far better than Google+). Why should there be a "YouTube account" like before where you could enter any email account and sign up? Google is just forcing people to use gmail and Google+. I hate this kind of monopoly. I bet if Microsoft made it a requirement to logon to Skype only with a Microsoft account, and not by a Skype name, outlook would skyrocket. But do people like that? To be forced to use an intermediate service in order to access a service? I don't.
We are forced to use a microsoft account for skype in WP. Nobody likes it, complains,stops using it. Google forces us to make a google+ account to become a youtube user, nobody likes it, complains, continues to use it. I don't think you guys understand. Even though they are forcing a monopoply, the services are actually really good, thats why people continue to make google+ accounts and continue to use youtube. But the Skype app just sucks completely. Google just does things better. That's all there is to it.

fadi dababneh1

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Guys we dont need google to get a youtube app on lumia phones. I have installed on my phone the official youtube app that was released by google the one that has been pulled out and yes it is running perfectly although i wont mind if there is an update to it. You could download that app by just having a developer unlocked phone and no it is not hard to developer unlock a lumia phone im a newbie in these things and i have managed to do it im sure youll be fine doing it. So as far as the google vs microsoft it doesnt actually affect my windows phone experience.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
We are forced to use a microsoft account for skype in WP. Nobody likes it, complains,stops using it. Google forces us to make a google+ account to become a youtube user, nobody likes it, complains, continues to use it. I don't think you guys understand. Even though they are forcing a monopoply, the services are actually really good, thats why people continue to make google+ accounts and continue to use youtube. But the Skype app just sucks completely. Google just does things better. That's all there is to it.
I have no problems with the Skype app, get notifications, missed calls and am able to receive video calls and messages just fine. Dunno about ur experience tho.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
When we're talking about a SOCIAL network, yes, in that situation it matters who is using it. You're using WP as an example, so the proper analogy would be that me not being able to be social with my friends on a social network would be the equivalent of my Windows Phone not being able to be used as a phone. They're completely different metrics to judge by.

Also, I'm not sure who you're following on YouTube, but my comment feed is always full of "I made $5000 a month from home, see how to here!" Or something racist or sexist pop up. Maybe you follow smaller youtubers, but I could honestly find 5 bad comments in under a minute. It's a mess.

Google+ may not appeal to you as your regular social networks, but why use a dozen social networks to interact with the same people? Google+ provided me with the opportunity to talk to different YouTubers, as well as join different groups and stuff related to Android, I also get updates when one of my favorite YouTubers uploads a video, Google+ is worth trying but since it has no app on Windows Phone you guys can't effectively tell if it's good or not.

1409426586714.jpg

Here are some of the YouTubers I follow and I can tell you the comments on their videos are pretty positive, funny or useful, plus since a lot of those people have Google+ it brings new life into the comments section.

If people stopped buying smartphones or using apps because of the ads they would soon be ad free.

They would also be become paid. -.-

Dude developers work their *** off developing good content, the least you can do is watch a few ads for them.

Microsoft IMO doesn't care about it's services as much as Google does, that's why Microsoft often releases their apps first on iOS/Android or have better versions of their apps on other platforms, Google isn't like that, it legitimately wants people to explore the various services it has, and things such as this have made Google one of the most valuable companies in the world.

It makes a lot of sense why Google is boosting their own social network, whether you use it or not, this isn't such a huge issue, IMO it's improved the experience.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Interesting read:

Microsoft*hired*ex-Clintonite Mark Penn, who pioneered the practice of micro-targeting ads based on consumer behavior, to work his black magic on Google. Penn, however, seems to not have recognized that there are some fundamental differences between consumer product battles and political campaigns, and mistaking one for the other can render them almost completely ineffective.*

For starters, political races have concrete deadlines. When election day comes, voters will make their decisions based on what's managed to stick in their brain about either candidate. On consumer issues, people can decide to adopt a new product at any time in the future, and if one brand doesn't convince them it's worth it, they just won't.*

In addition, the bar for buying or using something different is a lot higher than deciding who to vote for. One ballot might play a tiny role in determining who runs the free world, but switching your search engine or email client is a unilateral change to your day-to-day life?both in the ways you conduct business, and the image you project to the outside world.*

?You may or may not be labeled by who you're voting for for President,? saysEdward Boches, a professor of advertising at Boston University who has designed many campaigns for tech companies. "There's just more at stake [in product choices]. And I think it will be more likely to be effective if there's ways in which I can benefit from another product rather than things that are wrong with the product I'm using." Microsoft's ads don?t make much of an attempt to demonstrate that its own email service is better, and "Outlook.com: We don't go through your email to sell ads"?which the TV spots end on?isn't exactly a rousing slogan.*

As much as Microsoft has tried to make this ad blitz about Google, smear campaigns will always reflect on the entities that attach their names to them. In the political world, the bulk of negative advertising actually comes from outside groups with names like "America's Future PAC" or "Concerned Citizens of Wisconsin," shielding the candidate from having to say such nasty things (and even if the campaign did foot the bill, it?s only acknowledged in a perfunctory message at the end). In this case, lacking a viable surrogate, Microsoft takes on the full burden of looking petty and snide. That already comports with public perception?Microsoft doesn't have the nickname the "Evil Empire" for nothing?but there's no need to make the problem worse.*
Source:
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/112421/microsofts-scroogle-ads-and-mark-penn

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
LOL! you should give a little thought what you are saying.
My comment is for whole internet.

Tell me how many websites you visit in a day?
and tell me the your estimated cost if every sites start taking money from users for using website

If every website implement your suggestion then Internet browsing will become Luxury.

Ads are necessary. Like it or not.
Without ads internet will doomed.

Some users lets go with most users prefer ads over payment.
View attachment 79175

Time is money, there is always an alternative use of time. You could be working, learning something, or doing your personal stuff. The value of the time that people waste waiting for heavy pages full of ads, and watching/reading ads, is much bigger than the amount of money that companies pay to publish the ads in the websites. That's why It's inefficient.

For example, people could work XX% of the time they spend with ads, use that money to pay for an ad free internet, and website would receive more money than in the current system. And someone would benefit of that additional work, in this case nobody benefits when you wait for a bloated page full of ads or while you're watching irrelevant ads.

Humans have problems understanding time. The alternative value of time, how short the life is. That's why they get to wrong conclusions as the chart you posted. Governments should correct this misconceptions through policies, in the same way that they correct other misconceptions. The internet free from ads has to be leaded by governments.

In the current situation Google (the biggest ads intermediary in the world), website managers and companies that advertise are taking money from the pockets of the consumers to finance an inefficient system. That money is: time.

AdSense is a global network of ads intermediation. The effort to build a system to distribute an internet fee to websites that people visit wouldn't be bigger than the effort that took to develop AdSense/AdWords.

In 50 years people won't believe that the internet was full of ads in our time, It's so stupid and inefficient. With big data and AI, marketing has to evolve to a system that suggest products with amazing probability that the target could decide to buy the them, even at the same time she's seeing the ad. The fee in that case is closer to a commission for sales.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
The truth is that most of you guys are angry because google haven't realeased their apps for windows yet. If they did, you would download them in a heartbest. *cough* *cough* official Youtube *cough**cough* official hangouts. Official maps. Some of you guys are dying for one of the google apps to come to WP.

I would download the Youtube app and use it as much as Metrotube. Which is hardly ever.

I'm not dying or dependent on them. MS services work quite nicely.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Time is money, there is always an alternative use of time. You could be working, learning something, or doing your personal stuff. The value of the time that people waste waiting for heavy pages full of ads, and watching/reading ads, is much bigger than the amount of money that companies pay to publish the ads in the websites. That's why It's inefficient.

For example, people could work XX% of the time they spend with ads, use that money to pay for an ad free internet, and website would receive more money than in the current system. And someone would benefit of that additional work, in this case nobody benefits when you wait for a bloated page full of ads or while you're watching irrelevant ads.

Humans have problems understanding time. The alternative value of time, how short the life is. That's why they get to wrong conclusions as the chart you posted. Governments should correct this misconceptions through policies, in the same way that they correct other misconceptions. The internet free from ads has to be leaded by governments.

In the current situation Google (the biggest ads intermediary in the world), website managers and companies that advertise are taking money from the pockets of the consumers to finance an inefficient system. That money is: time.

AdSense is a global network of ads intermediation. The effort to build a system to distribute an internet fee to websites that people visit wouldn't be bigger than the effort that took to develop AdSense/AdWords.

In 50 years people won't believe that the internet was full of ads in our time, It's so stupid and inefficient. With big data and AI, marketing has to evolve to a system that suggest products with amazing probability that the target could decide to buy the them, even at the same time she's seeing the ad. The fee in that case is closer to a commission for sales.

But your logic doesn't make any sense.

You haven't able to answer a single question I asked.
Ads are necessity.
making paid everything.................come on. What are you billionaire?
What you are talking is to make internet browsing a Luxury.

BuyingApps.png
People have weird perspective when it comes to buying apps or paying for website.
the whole internet world will be finished the day idea like this implemented.

Anyway
all I get from your comment is that you hate Google.

I am not going to respond any further on you comment unless you answer what I asked.
and I know when you will answer those question this conversation between you and me will be over.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

we are forced to login for the app store,which is why someone would even even buy a smartphone
google thinks its ok to pay for subpar products which lag and give bad battery life and customisation but sells your data to shady advert companies and puts ads everywhere
i agree the skype app sucks on all mobile platforms but i dont agree google does things better,sure its more popular but its services are not upto the mark compared to microsoft and facebook and even apple for that matter
google search and youtube are the only things google got right,sadly bing doesnt get local results as good as google search and youtube is the largest video site ,otherwise id have ditched google completely
google docs and google drive etc are a joke compared to ms office/365 etc and onedrive,i cant multiple download stuff in google drive,onedrive lets you download the entire folder in a zip format

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Like I said, to the best of my knowledge, Google does not put advertisements in all videos. It's up to the person creating the videos.

Your friends(or anyone else with a capped plan) shouldn't watch YouTube channels that have ads in them, until they get a WiFi.

Or...if watching a certain video creator really matters for them they shouldn't complain about ads because they are intentionally watching videos with ads.

All in all, advertisements supports the video creator and I don't mind see an ad every now and then, in exchange for better YouTube content.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

so you dont mind spending your precious mobile minutes/recharge whatever on youtube ads ? well im on a unlimted 3G network but my friends on a capped plan have a huuge pain thanks to youtube ads when we stream music videos off youtube and ads keep popping up

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
so you dont mind spending your precious mobile minutes/recharge whatever on youtube ads ? well im on a unlimted 3G network but my friends on a capped plan have a huuge pain thanks to youtube ads when we stream music videos off youtube and ads keep popping up

It still better than if it come paid.
It's a cost.
Otherwise tell me how YouTube is going to earn profit.
Now you are questioning their business.

Lets takes thing other way around then may be you understand.
Why don't MS sold it's W8 at $10.
Or why not they sell 5 year old W7 for free or $5.

Why MS sells office & Windows separately. Why not they sell it pre-installed office in Windows?

One way or other you have to pay for.
MS depends on users money & Google depends on ads.
Their is nothing wrong about it

Watching YouTube ads free is same as using pirated Windows.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

The thing I'm wondering about your friends is the contradiction. First of all they have capped plans and yet they use YouTube for streaming music? Do you know how much more data it takes to load a video instead of just music?

Is YouTube the only music streaming application/website?

Stop giving me false examples and ads are not in all videos, refrain from watching the videos with ads in them. If ads didn't exist how would you support content creators?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It still better than if it come paid.
It's a cost.
Otherwise tell me how YouTube is going to earn profit.
Now you are questioning their business.

Lets takes thing other way around then may be you understand.
Why don't MS sold it's W8 at $10.
Or why not they sell 5 year old W7 for free or $5.

Why MS sells office & Windows separately. Why not they sell it pre-installed office in Windows?

One way or other you have to pay for.
MS depends on users money & Google depends on ads.
Their is nothing wrong about it

Watching YouTube ads free is same as using pirated Windows.

nope you missed the point
ads arent bad,selling my personal data to shady advertisers and using up my 3G cap is bad

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The thing I'm wondering about your friends is the contradiction. First of all they have capped plans and yet they use YouTube for streaming music? Do you know how much more data it takes to load a video instead of just music?

Is YouTube the only music streaming application/website?

Stop giving me false examples and ads are not in all videos, refrain from watching the videos with ads in them. If ads didn't exist how would you support content creators?

thats not true at all
first off 99% of youtube videos have lame ads , how do i distinguish between a video with ads and without??
second ads arent bad,selling my data to advertisers and using my 3G cap to display ads with each video is pathetic
thirdly i dont know about your country but out here our 3G reaches 12mbps in Mumbai itself so i dont see the buffer bar on 3G ever
fourthly my friends pay for a 3G plan and use it however they want to use it why do you want to change that??its their money their wish
fifthly what else should an internet connection be used for?? entertainment , media,IM etc right so why should youtube not be considered just that
sixthly tell me a site with a library like youtube
seventhly dont defend google,they have gotten this system wrong

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
nope you missed the point
ads arent bad,selling my personal data to shady advertisers and using up my 3G cap is bad

If you have problem then don't use it. It's their terms and condition.

What you are gonna say to a guy who tell you that he has problem to pay for Windows?
Don't buy it and go for Linux.

I am gonna tell you same don't use it & look for alternatives.

But billions of users don't mind this.

But one thing I don't understand that whole(billions of users) data handles by machines then what problem you have with machines.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
In android we can install ad blocker by rooting nd remove all ads.but anyway we have option to skip ads at least for some videos.streaming music I think you can use nokia mix radio you can get some new songs though you cannot download after some period.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
thats not true at all
first off 99% of youtube videos have lame ads , how do i distinguish between a video with ads and without??
second ads arent bad,selling my data to advertisers and using my 3G cap to display ads with each video is pathetic
thirdly i dont know about your country but out here our 3G reaches 12mbps in Mumbai itself so i dont see the buffer bar on 3G ever
fourthly my friends pay for a 3G plan and use it however they want to use it why do you want to change that??its their money their wish
fifthly what else should an internet connection be used for?? entertainment , media,IM etc right so why should youtube not be considered just that
sixthly tell me a site with a library like youtube
seventhly dont defend google,they have gotten this system wrong

First of all, I don't know what channels you watch but whenever I view YouTube for over an hour, I rarely see ads before a video starts, maybe a few times. In addition to this you can skip a lot of the ads after you watch the first five seconds. There are videos with ads but the percentage isn't 99%.

The buffer bar has nothing to do with this, if you friends have capped plans and watching a few ads every now and then disturbs their plans, they should just listen to music using a dedicated music streaming service, which will cause way less data usage.

The system Google devised wasn't wrong, the ads support both YouTube and the content creators, the ability to make money via YouTube has greatly improved the content on the site.

Plus because of people like you, who are so against advertisements, quality YouTubers now have to show ads somewhere in their video, instead of at the beginning. If you go and watch a few videos by TechnoBuffalo, LinusTechTips, Techquikie, PhoneBuff, SoldierKnowsBest, you'll see that they advertise in their videos.

We defend Google in this regard because this is something that genuinely helps the service that most of us love.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12