Let's discuss this Google vs Microsoft War ( because we're the ones losing :p )

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
only bing is subpar,other things work in india

If we look at the overall picture, I was referring to everything MS vs everything Google. By comparison, Google wins for offering consistent services to the majority of the planet. MS is far behind in that regard.

That's what I was going on. Not one thing or country specific.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I'll just say a few things in the end, because I got a refraction due to my earlier post.

I'm not trying to undermine Microsoft or it's services, I am simply trying to say that Windows Phone needs Google services, primarily because Bing does not provide the same level of global coverage that Google does.

Having used a Windows Phone for over eight months, there was no good navigation application for Pakistan(HERE and Bing didn't support it either).

Not to mention the fact that Micrsoft applications and services have a negative reputation all over the world, from Internet Explorer to Bing and so on.

You could have the argument about Microsoft vs Google services all day long, however you can't deny that most people prefer Google over Microsoft and need their necessary Google apps regardless of the platform they are on.

Moving on, Microsoft and Google both collect pretty much the same amount of data from you but both explain why they do it, they don't sell your data or anything. But if you have reasoned criticism against Google's privacy, please comment on this thread on Android Central:

The Google privacy challenge. - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

That's all I wanted to say, Windows Phone does indeed need Google services.

about privacy:-
i dont trust any company but id trust apple and microsoft any day over google
proof-
Google Drive files can end up in ads, even though you still own them | Ars Technica
Google is selling your privacy for a price - Telegraph
Google handed over 11,385 people’s personal info to the government in the past 6 months
Is Google Drive worse for privacy than iCloud, Skydrive, and Dropbox? | The Verge
Who owns your files on Google Drive? - CNET

they did issue a statement saying they dont own your data but will still go through them etc and sell your data and pics etc to advertisers to put ads based on that,basically they dont own it but they can use it

i cant confirm this but coming from soo many reliable sources,it cannot be wrong imho
microsoft gives you a privacy kill switch,why cant google give one (advertising id)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
If we look at the overall picture, I was referring to everything MS vs everything Google. By comparison, Google wins for offering consistent services to the majority of the planet. MS is far behind in that regard.

That's what I was going on. Not one thing or country specific.

if you mean desktop IE and Bing in India yes but i dont see why microsoft can be considered subpar to google

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
if you mean desktop IE and Bing in India yes but i dont see why microsoft can be considered subpar to google

I'm not talking about India specific, I said globally. I said Google services were more consistent globally compared to MS. What you personally want to use is not what I was talking about.

There's more to the world than just India you know. You may feel differently but I've been to many parts of it, there's quite a bit out there. :p

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I'll just say a few things in the end, because I got a refraction due to my earlier post.
That's all I wanted to say, Windows Phone does indeed need Google services.

Really? 'a refraction' you didn't get my point at all did you? Or the following reply.

Being biased isn't a bad thing, if my kids had an argument with some other kids, I'd take their side. That's biased, but it doesn't make it a bad thing.

Not sure if it's the language barrier, but you took offence to something that wasn't.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
about privacy:-
i dont trust any company but id trust apple and microsoft any day over google
proof-
Google Drive files can end up in ads, even though you still own them | Ars Technica
Google is selling your privacy for a price - Telegraph
Google handed over 11,385 people?s personal info to the government in the past 6 months
Is Google Drive worse for privacy than iCloud, Skydrive, and Dropbox? | The Verge
Who owns your files on Google Drive? - CNET

they did issue a statement saying they dont own your data but will still go through them etc and sell your data and pics etc to advertisers to put ads based on that,basically they dont own it but they can use it

i cant confirm this but coming from soo many reliable sources,it cannot be wrong imho
microsoft gives you a privacy kill switch,why cant google give one (advertising id)

I read most of those articles, but the one article you posted about Google Drive on the Verge, pretty much destroyed your argument.

I think you just searched random articles without reading them to support your argument, anyways it clearly says in the Verge article:

1409660999889.jpg

The Verge pretty much backs up what I am trying to say, Google and Microsoft collect the same amount of data about you, and they reserve all permissions to pretty much anything with it.

Please read the articles carefully before posting them on a forum, the Verge article pretty much dispelled your theories.

I believe that you once again understood me wrong, I didn't say that Bing and Internet Explorer are subpar, both services have improved a lot in the past few months but still retain a negative reputation all over the world.

People would prefer Google services over Microsoft any day, most times and that's why Windows Phone does need it.

Regardless of how good Microsoft's products and services are, they are today receiving a negative reputation for a lot of things, be it Windows 8, Internet Explorer, Bing Search, and Bing Maps.

There are clear reasons why Windows Phone needs "official" Google services.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I believe that you once again understood me wrong, I didn't say that Bing and Internet Explorer are subpar, both services have improved a lot in the past few months but still retain a negative reputation all over the world.

People would prefer Google services over Microsoft any day, most times and that's why Windows Phone does need it.

Regardless of how good Microsoft's products and services are, they are today receiving a negative reputation for a lot of things, be it Windows 8, Internet Explorer, Bing Search, and Bing Maps.

There are clear reasons why Windows Phone needs "official" Google services.

He was talking to me as I stated they were sub par in most places outside the US on a consistency level with Google.

Aman2901

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
A company's success is known by its earnings....
Microsoft=61 Billion Per Annum
Google=45 Billion Per Annum
Got the winner??

While Microsoft has many services..Google has mainly Chrome OS and Browser+Google Search+Android and????

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say that Bing and Internet Explorer are subpar, both services have improved a lot in the past few months but still retain a negative reputation all over the world.

Do you have any proof of this, or is it just your opinion? The last thing I saw, the Bing search engine is continuing it's market share year on year and Internet Explorer versions claim almost 60%. Consistent market growth doesn't really tie in with your claim of them having general negative reputations.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
A company's success is known by its earnings....
Microsoft=61 Billion Per Annum
Google=45 Billion Per Annum
Got the winner??

While Microsoft has many services..Google has mainly Chrome OS and Browser+Google Search+Android and????

If you're going to by money, sure if that's what you think makes someone a winner. Take away MS's enterprise profits (their biggest money maker) and then we'll talk.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
If you're going to by money, sure if that's what you think makes someone a winner. Take away MS's enterprise profits (their biggest money maker) and then we'll talk.

That doesn't make any sense at all. Why would you take away their enterprise? Hell, while were at it, lets take away Search for Google, for no apparent reason, while we're at it. It doesn't matter how they make their money.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't make any sense at all. Why would you take away their enterprise? Hell, while were at it, lets take away Search for Google, for no apparent reason, while we're at it. It doesn't matter how they make their money.

The reason I said it is because we're not talking about the same thing. Enterprise is a big part of MS money, next is PC OS. Google is in neither of those two fields. If it's only about money, sure MS wins. If we're talking about web and mobile services on a global scale, Google puts MS to shame. That's where I was going.

We were supposed to be discussing Google on WP and if it would ever happen. All it's turned into is a slinging match and a bunch of nonsense. Who wins and loses is the consumer, us. We deserve choice not this petty mud slinging matches that go on. If I want to use Google services I need to go to Android or iOS. That's sad. If I want better app selection I need to go Android or iOS. That's sad as well.

You want to play with numbers, WP is at 2.5% market share globally, that's truly sad. Where is WP winning? I don't see it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
[INFO]Anyway, it would be nice if someone found a way to tie all this back to the original topic (I have a faint memory that this thread should be about resolving the MS/Google war, not throwing more fuel on the fire). I'm not sure such a connection exists, but I'm willing to let people try. Failing that, well, you know...[/INFO]

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
[INFO]Anyway, it would be nice if someone found a way to tie all this back to the original topic (I have a faint memory that this thread should be about resolving the MS/Google war, not throwing more fuel on the fire). I'm not sure such a connection exists, but I'm willing to let people try. Failing that, well, you know...[/INFO]

Good luck with that one...

JasoX

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Does it really matter? The fan boy mentality is ridiculous, it's like two five year old kids argue at the sandbox...."my dad I stronger than yours". EDIT: Pointless in other words.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Does it really matter? The fan boy mentality is ridiculous.

Isn't that precisely why it matters? Starting now, we can either get back to the actual thread topic, or let this thread R.I.P. If anybody feels the urge, they are of course free to open a new thread specifically for a debate on MS vs Google services, but that isn't what the OP wanted this thread to be about. I think we've disrespected the thread topic long enough. It stops here.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Here, I've got an idea...

---------------------

And THIS ladies and gentlemen, is why we need to end the war between Google and Microsoft. It ends up starting ridiculous fights and is hurting everyone.

Alright, now lets go from there.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't call this a war since Google (and Apple) have very different business models. This is something that many people keep mixing up all the time but it makes such a huge difference. Bottom line is:

Google's core business is advertising and they are performing exceptionally well in this field. Almost everything that you will read in the media about balloons providing Internet access in underdeveloped spots, smart homes etc. is done in order do expand their advertising power in the medium to long term.

Apple's core business is hardware and they are doing it remarkably well because I don't know any other company where people would voluntarily spend huge amounts of money without the need to target them expensively. They have a strong brand and what I admire from a business point of view is that they have understood that this shark pool called price competition would only have negative ramifications for their business. In other words: They don't need to try and get every single user out there aboard. There's a sufficient amount of folks that have the characteristics of an ordinary Apple consumer. And they need to get both Google and Microsoft as well as other partners onboard because traditonally they are a hardware company and can't provide all services on their own (they don't even have a search engine, let's not forget that you can't build a product like Cortana without having a search engine feeding it with all kind of data).

So as for the relationship between Microsoft and Apple I don't see any need for Microsoft to try and attack them. Products like Office are a selling point for Apple's products and Microsoft can earn money with them. So from my perspective it's good for both. The only area where I see Apple and Microsoft competing is in the field of flagship phones. But if you look at the statistics, the 1520 or 930 don't make up a large fraction and as written above Apple doesn't care at all if someone buys a 520 or 630.

I'm also sure that Google will start to support the MS ecosystem once it has build a strong userbase. They have some of the smartest employees our planet holds in store and I would be very surprised if they were to ignore them completely. By the way, the working environment at Google is a strong advantage. I'm not a strong supporter of those religious corporate cultures, but businesswise it's obvious that employees who are so strongly dedicated to their employer will build better products on average.

So to bring this post to a close: The upshot simply is that MS should focus on what they are strong at while stopping to compare their products with Apple and Google all the time. It doesn't make any sense at all and gives the media yet another reason to come up with negative press about MS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99