09-05-2014 08:21 PM
185 123 ...
tools
    And by we I mean us windows phone users . I don't care who started , I don't care who's wrong and who's right , all I know is , I'm tired of WP/W8 being treated as a second class citizen by google , and even though the blame is on google , MS is the one responsible for enhancing the platform's status , so I went ahead and did one of these
    Make amends with google – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone
    ( I'm not sure if it has been done before , but what gives )
    PS : I know google has been ****** with YouTube but to be fair so has Microsoft with the scroogled thing ( I mean targeting google actually makes them even more popular , but saying like for example "superior" or "more secure" than " other products" is a better approach imo , but i'm not marketing expert so my opinion isn't that important I guess :p )
    Oh and twitter users , feel free to create a hashtag to use, that'd be useful
    Donny James and broughshane like this.
    08-27-2014 08:33 PM
    And let's face it , completely ignoring google services isn't an option for most of us ( youtube in my case )
    08-27-2014 08:33 PM
    And let's face it , completely ignoring google services isn't an option for most of us ( youtube in my case )
    Well some people would love the YouTube official app even though MetroTube and myTube are far more awesome
    08-27-2014 08:39 PM
    A first party youtube app would be awesome
    08-27-2014 08:45 PM
    Well some people would love the YouTube official app even though MetroTube and myTube are far more awesome
    TubeCast for me.
    http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...d-3b78eee804da

There is nothing MSFT can about this. Is all up to Google.
    MaxyBley likes this.
    08-27-2014 08:49 PM
    I personally believe that Google is strategically opposed to the existence of Microsoft. They support MS platform only where there are a large market presence - Windows & XBox. Otherwise, if they could wave a wand and have MS disappear, they would.

That said - Google makes superior software & services in a number of areas that I have actively chosen over the years over MS.

F.e., Search, Browser, Maps, Mail, Calendar.
    08-27-2014 09:28 PM

That said - Google makes superior software & services in a number of areas that I have actively chosen over the years over MS.

Browser , Mail and Calendar is debatable , especially Mail ( Outlook is way ahead of Gmail imo , try it out , you won't regret it )
    Search and Maps : well they've been way longer in the game and MS is investing more in search and Bing is catching up ( at least the US bing which I use for my English searches ) with the push of Cortana that's going to become even more apparent ;
    Maps : depends on where you but I personally prefer here maps and wish I could install it on my android ( hopefully to be replaced with a lumia 920 : students can't spend a small fortune on a phone ) because is it's superior in my region (north Africa , and from my previous reads the developing world in general due to the typical US centrism by the big 3)
    Genesis Coupe and sahib lopez like this.
    08-27-2014 10:08 PM
    Solving violence with violence can be an option... Right? jk
    08-27-2014 10:12 PM
    We're never going to get official support. So instead why not create some bounties for developers to provide the lack of support? I'd give $50 to a solid google hangouts app through an in-app donation upon inspection of it...
    kumar_rajan5000 likes this.
    08-27-2014 10:19 PM
    Google has acquired over 160 companies! On an average its been acquiring 1 company per week since 2010. Google works because of that
    Aashish13 likes this.
    08-27-2014 10:27 PM
    I can't blame Google for being greedy and not supporting the competition, but I don't miss Google services at all. I do use YouTube, but with MetroTube, which I like better than the YouTube app on Android. In fact, the other day someone asked how I was finding answers faster than they were. I explained I was using Bing, not Google. Priceless expression on their face.
    08-27-2014 10:28 PM
    We're never going to get official support. So instead why not create some bounties for developers to provide the lack of support?
    Let's not be pessimistic ;) that and an official app ,even a half baked one makes a big difference , e.g : instagram vs 6tag
    08-27-2014 10:53 PM
    Providing Google services is up to Google.

The only alternative Microsoft has is take on Google Search by driving worldwide Bing adoption. I'm not sure what Microsoft is doing in that regard, but it's clear Bing isn't anywhere near as pervasive or prolific in the international market as Google. And unfortunately, the current Microsoft isn't run by people seeking to take Google head-on, they'd sooner buy iPhones (or even Androids) than fight Google, IMHO.
    k72 likes this.
    08-27-2014 10:58 PM
    I agreed with OP.

MS done mistakes in marketing by comparing their products with Google specially where they got upper hand.
    For example - I didn't know about Chrome book until MS made an ad on it comparing with Windows.
    Man why do you compare with a competitive product which has nearly 1% market share and MS comparing it with their product which has 90% plus market share.
    It's more like they were promoting them.
    Have Google ever compare Bing with it's search engine.

As far as I know Google never make fun or compare it's product with MS.
    But MS always make fun and compare their products with Google.

And it's understandable that Google doesn't support WP because of it's small market share(2.5%)
    Which company support it's competitors.(it's a business not charity)

Isn't MS done same with Linux which has almost same market share as WP.
    Last edited by D M C; 08-27-2014 at 11:42 PM.
    08-27-2014 11:17 PM
    I'm planning on ditching Gmail for and make my Live account my primary Email.

Both are on par and at least I wouldn't be left with a mediocre app with Microsoft Live on my WP.

What Google is doing doesn't bother me except for Gmail. When Nadella implements this unified OS, I'm going all out on Microsoft and say goodbye to Google. Of course, I'll use YouTube but there's an app for that.
    Nakia Johnson1 likes this.
    08-27-2014 11:46 PM
    Google, IMHO, doesn't hate WP8. If Google wanted to "hurt" a competitor, Apple would be the logical target. Google loves to provide iOS resources though.

It boils down to eyeballs (aka marketshare). The day Android doesn't provide ROI, Google can and will ditch it.

When MSFT gets a bigger chunk of the mobile space, services will come. When it comes to its core business, Google does not harbor ill will.
    08-28-2014 12:08 AM
    I'm planning on ditching Gmail for and make my Live account my primary Email.

Both are on par and at least I wouldn't be left with a mediocre app with Microsoft Live on my WP.

What Google is doing doesn't bother me except for Gmail. When Nadella implements this unified OS, I'm going all out on Microsoft and say goodbye to Google. Of course, I'll use YouTube but there's an app for that.
    I never understood Gmail problem.
    Why users are looking for gmail app.

Gmail in WP is as good as outlook.

Just go to people and login Gmail a/c.

Don't you guys know about it?
    Makubex1980 likes this.
    08-28-2014 12:10 AM
    I personally believe that Google is strategically opposed to the existence of Microsoft. They support MS platform only where there are a large market presence - Windows & XBox. Otherwise, if they could wave a wand and have MS disappear, they would.

I don't think userbase matters to Google. I know for a fact that Windows Phone has more users yearning for YouTube than Xbox One or even Xbox 360. For some reason Google just wants to see Microsoft dead.

Sometimes I do wish Microsoft had maniacal people in charge. The kind who would take Bing and then relentlessly troll Google with it... Bing Maps, Office Online, Outlook, Skype, etc, everywhere, worldwide, to everyone.
    DoctorSaline and k72 like this.
    08-28-2014 12:57 AM
    I don't think userbase matters to Google. I know for a fact that Windows Phone has more users yearning for YouTube than Xbox One or even Xbox 360. For some reason Google just wants to see Microsoft dead.

Sometimes I do wish Microsoft had maniacal people in charge. The kind who would take Bing and then relentlessly troll Google with it... Bing Maps, Office Online, Outlook, Skype, etc, everywhere, worldwide, to everyone.
    It's business.And what Google is doing is pure business.

Any other company will do same as what google did.

But first you have to understand the way business done.
    Google do not hold any grudge against MS.
    It's just that they both are competitor's.
    About Xbox.
    Google isn't in game consoles business so they do not have problem in providing their services but Google is in smartphone business.
    It's very simple to understand this.
    08-28-2014 01:30 AM
    Browser , Mail and Calendar is debatable , especially Mail ( Outlook is way ahead of Gmail imo , try it out , you won't regret it )
    Search and Maps : well they've been way longer in the game and MS is investing more in search and Bing is catching up ( at least the US bing which I use for my English searches ) with the push of Cortana that's going to become even more apparent ;
    Maps : depends on where you but I personally prefer here maps and wish I could install it on my android ( hopefully to be replaced with a lumia 920 : students can't spend a small fortune on a phone ) because is it's superior in my region (north Africa , and from my previous reads the developing world in general due to the typical US centrism by the big 3)
    Gmail has better search than Outlook.com. Otherwise, I wouldn't call either 'superior', they are both equally powerful. I had no problems moving to outlook.com from gmail.
    About bing search, it's still not all that great. Whenever I try searching for something with the phone, it uses bing, and I can't find what I'm looking for even if I change the query, where with google the result I'm looking for is usually top 3.
    About Chrome, I wouldn't use that even if Firefox suddenly became unavailable, I only stick with Firefox because of many extentions and plugins, and if that's gone, I'd just stick to IE or Opera.
    08-28-2014 01:34 AM
    About Chrome, I wouldn't use that even if Firefox suddenly became unavailable, I only stick with Firefox because of many extentions and plugins, and if that's gone, I'd just stick to IE or Opera.
    This is something else we need on WP, I mean since Firefox OS isn't a direct competiton to WP and windows phone allows we should definitely ask for it , or at least tell MS to make a sort of IE with an app store , extensions AND is 100 % ( but let's face it we'll get 70 % if we're lucky ) standard compliant just to show google that they should stop F****** up internet standards with their chrome store and convince web devs how much ie and MS have changes
    Bonus tip : I hear the IE teams and FF teams are kind of friendly , would love to see the collaborate( in a wilder dream a browser based on both ; but with ME and Vista ,I'm now convinced merging two different products is a BAD idea :p )
    08-28-2014 04:03 PM
    Providing Google services is up to Google.

The only alternative Microsoft has is take on Google Search by driving worldwide Bing adoption. I'm not sure what Microsoft is doing in that regard, but it's clear Bing isn't anywhere near as pervasive or prolific in the international market as Google. And unfortunately, the current Microsoft isn't run by people seeking to take Google head-on, they'd sooner buy iPhones (or even Androids) than fight Google, IMHO.
    Actually with their scroogled campaign , they sort of are , but badly :p and the main problem with old MS , it's errible in investing in projects that will only generate in the future aka their web services and WP , with the new management that's changing ( to a degree) , and well bing isn't even supposed to be a direct competitor to google any more , BUT more like a research project that's the backbone of a lot of MS services . And while I agree providing google services is up to google , it certainly WILL NOT hurt MS to provide incentives ,( Kill scroogled , allow Google AD Mob sdk better access , help them in building the apps , etc . ) I mean Google still wants to increase its gravity and always wants to be platform independent , and it's also NOT a software company , BUT an Advertising company , you support their business and they'll do the same , e.g : the google and apple relation ship .Apple is a competitor but the apps exist and are well supported in iOS not only because they enhance the gravity of android ( the same apps will exist when you switch , especially that google makes 5 of the top 10 ) but because it brings them quite a sum of money .
    08-28-2014 04:11 PM
    I say Cage Match between Satya Nedella and Larry Paige.

cage-matches.jpg
    08-28-2014 04:48 PM
    Google probably has bigger ambitions than people give them credit.

For years, MS was the King of PCs market through windows and Enterprise through Office software. There was no real competitor to them. Linux could never get people's trust (perhaps) and Apple always had a niche customer base.

But now, google has come and winds have shifted. Google is as reputable as MS, perhaps even more. On top of that, they are ruling smartphone market. When smartphones started taking jobs of computers, google was there to provide for consumers. When enterprise demand called, google filled in with google docs. It probably helped them that MS didn't have its offerings on either iOS or android until now. What this has done is that people are getting to get comfortable with google's offerings as an alternative to Microsoft. Remember Office is Microsoft's biggest cash cow. Now it is in jeopardy. Google sensing blood waged war on OS market as well with its android and chrome OS. As far as most consumers are concerned, chrome OS or android is enough for their needs. Their media needs are in check. ARM already offers longer battery life. Their social needs are in check through android's vast ecosystem of apps and games. They have google docs for productivity. And where google lacks, 3rd party developers take care of them. And it helps that people are dependant on Google services may it be mail, maps, calendar or YouTube. And they are using this dependency to pull people from other platforms(mainly people from Windows and windows phone) towards Google's platform and thus, ecosystem. If successful, google may probably enter x86/64 PC market as well as gaming. It is already present everywhere else. They reason why they don't target Apple is because Apple has already carved a dedicated loyal market for itself. Plus Apple's expansion is always controlled since they don't expand their services to other hardware. Plus their target demographic is a small no of people in the world.
    This scenario explains what is going on between Google and Microsoft in my opinion. There are some tough years ahead for MS and the only area they can truly sustain seeing how things look now a days is back end cloud services. If they have to stay relevant, they need to establish themselves in mobile platform which in turn will provide strength to their other money generating services such as office etc. MS are aware of it which probably explains "Cloud first, mobile first" motto by Satya Nadella.
    08-28-2014 04:54 PM
    To the OP, if we are the ones losing as you say, why are you here? Why do we stay? Is our collective heads in the sand? Why hasn't the doors to WPCentral closed yet if this is losing?

I look at it this way, Balmer got Windows Phone launched. He also got the stores launched and got more apps in that store quicker than did Apple for the iphone. In this environment, not a simple task. And lets not forget MS Office 2013 and Office 365.

Windows Vista is a fluke because it dropped between CEO installations but Windows 7 is stellar and that was also done under Balmer. We have a new CEO and it is expected that during the sometimes painful transition period, we get another lull in the processes. I say we are surviving well without an official youtube client and those that need gmail is still getting it. If Nadella can get his troops in place, perhaps we'll get official. And when that happens, most of us will opt to use one of the many third party Youtube apps anyway, simply because they are better designed. Metrotube, MyTube toib and ProTube.and especially for the MetroUI, my fav, Youtube for Windows 8. That one is beautiful.
    Businesses like money more than squabbling. So it could still happen. We got a long life to go with Windows Phone and this PTSD, self-mutilation.we are so quick to believe written by bloggers we KNOW hate MS, and carelessly toss around like door prizes about Windows Phone, is no benefit to the community.

We are not going to fix those nasty bloggers and we should limit publishing their hate or trying to extract reality from their perverted view of what and who we are. They are in too deep with the hate anyway. Their fans would run them out of town if they even attempt to say something positive about Windows Phone. So quit expecting it.
    08-28-2014 05:35 PM
185 123 ...