Microsoft vs. Everything Ever...is getting tiring

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I understand the creation of every thread yelling at Microsoft than yelling at Google than yelling at Apple...etc. but it gets tiring, repetitive and often results in pointless, illogical arguments leading to nowhere. Next we'll be yelling at toasters because they're shinier than our phones.
Yeah, it's true, Microsoft isn't doing as well in Windows Phones as we wished they were, with only 2.5% market share, but arguing isn't going to make it any better. The only way we can, as the consumer, effectively support and help Microsoft is to buy their products and provide support and advice to new comers who are trying out Windows Phones. The more people we convince to buy Microsoft, the better.
In addition, how is arguing about Google vs. Microsoft going to help if all we're saying is that Google is trying to crush Microsoft and has a grudge and isn't helping and etc. etc. etc.
Maybe it would be simpler to go: Look Microsoft, this is what you can do to improve Windows Phones in my opinion. Oh look, these people agree. Look, Microsoft, look at how many people are agreeing that this will improve both your OS and your sales.
I'm not trying to insult anyone's opinions, not at all, but saying that we NEED BETTER APPS NOW. OH AND THIS LONG...LONG...LONG LIST OF FEATURES. OH, DID WE MENTION WE WANT IT NOW? Isn't going to help. These things take time, and Microsoft is getting better. Since Nadella, better phones have come out (Icon/930) and Windows Phone 8.1. Windows Phone 9 is just around the corner, an update much bigger than 8.1, which by itself brought Windows Phones way closer to Android and iOS(Cortana and Notifications Center).
Just a thought, since Windows Phones are-realistically-not the center of Microsoft. Their money is in their software, and that's where they'll focus. If Windows Phones succeed, GREAT, but it's not going to happen NOW.
All we can do is give our ideas, agree and second, third...etc. ideas we agree with and convince other people that Windows Phones are worth buying.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you love Windows Phone, go ahead and enjoy it. Just don't expect the world to approve of your purchase.

Last edited:

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Lol! I was just about to said same thing.

The point here is for Windows Phone enthusiasts, is be more productive than argumentative. Too much fussing and whining will eventually give us a bad name. Plus it leads to frustration and eventually leaving the platform after making a mountain out of a mole hill. The more you focus on a problem negatively it becomes bigger.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The point here is for Windows Phone enthusiasts, is be more productive than argumentative. Too much fussing and whining will eventually give us a bad name. Plus it leads to frustration and eventually leaving the platform after making a mountain out of a mole hill. The more you focus on a problem negatively it becomes bigger.

Well said. And the funniest thing is...I try to make a thread about being productive and then there's those people who come and...well. Scroll up. It's not a bad thing, just not necessary.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
huh? Windows phone has 10% market share.

Joking aside, I REALLY REALLY wish you Americans would stop talking about U.S. market share as if it's the only market share that matters or exists! global average market share matters a lot more than US-only.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Very true, actually Windows Phones sell better in Asian countries and the UK compared to America.
The only reason why ad duplex shows US more is because people from other countries want apps and features that are exclusive to the US. I remember when I changed the search language to US. Bing search was absolutely amazing. I had these squares I could tap for more info on the image, i could scroll over and see the latest news and if i scrolled again I could see trending videos, another scroll would show me local deals and coupons. Why is isn't that available for all countries? Well they are rolling out those features with cortana if you think about it but they should have done this way sooner.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
US may indeed be an important Market for Microsoft but for that they need to get rid of carrier exclusives. For them to penetrate in US, they have to make their phones available with all four major carriers, from cheapo 530 to 930successor/1520successor/1020successor to all other partners. They need to bring back Samsung, LG and existing HTC to all major carriers in US as well.

Around the globe, they need to improve their services. Support and curate for more countries in translation, keyboards, speech, language, maps, search, music, video, cortana. They also have to make more of their hardware globally i-e surface line of tablets both RT and Pro and XBox console.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I understand that, and I do. But at the same time I want to help Microsoft. I'd like my phones to continue being upgraded and supported.

If you want to help Microsoft you have to be willing to acknowledge and allow others to express their opinions (negative and positive) on the platform. I like WP and MS, but I've got a lot of issues the way they do things (I am one of the pro 2 buyers that's a little pissed pro 3 was released so soon after). Debates are good in my opinion, if we just accepted and praised MS none of the updates and features in 8.1 wouldnt exist.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
If you want to help Microsoft you have to be willing to acknowledge and allow others to express their opinions (negative and positive) on the platform. I like WP and MS, but I've got a lot of issues the way they do things (I am one of the pro 2 buyers that's a little pissed pro 3 was released so soon after). Debates are good in my opinion, if we just accepted and praised MS none of the updates and features in 8.1 wouldnt exist.
Well, first off, I am overjoyed that the Pro 3 was released so soon, as it's far far far superior than the Pro 2, in my opinion. The 2 was an experimental device, a stepping stone to the vision Microsoft had for the Surface series. The Pro 3 is better with the screen-size, resolution, ratio, colors, etc.-and the kick stand, and performance, and battery life, and keyboard...so on. Anyways, it's true that Microsoft isn't doing enough for U.S.A.
They need to push Bing-and Cortana-internationally, getting everyone to use them. Also, Windows Phone 9 will hopefully solve a lot of problems we have with 8.1.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has messed up with WP really big time on its way to this point.

First the WP7x > WP8 left many people stuck with the "same" OS, but they dont have apps or support for their devices. The regular folks dont understand this at all. Could this been avoided? I don't know, I'm not a software guy, smarter ones can let us know.

Integrated Facebook mess... Really? No one at Microsoft didn't think "what if something changes at FB side, we can't update our app" or if we look past that, who in their right mind at Microsoft thought the integrated part would be enough? "people are fine without liking answers or sending pictures" If the answer is that they knew that the app is needed anyway; why was it the ****tiest app in the world for ages? It is also VERY confusing for the average user that you have two ways of doing the same thing. Do it once and do it good!

And now the hubs have been taken apart... Ok I get that, maybe its a step for the better. However that doesn't change the fact that its very poor management going back and forth like this.

Whatever pull MS and WP got from Nokia its gone and lost. Many users had poor experience and they are gone. It will be super hard to get them back with bad experience in their mind.

I have the L1520 at the moment. Good device, but it could be a great (greatest) device if WP wasn't dragging it down. In many places just making everything bigger for the 6" screen is not good use of the potential.

I hope MS can pull their s*hit together, but I personally would fire many people in regards on things above. I'm using FB here because the user base is so large, you CANNOT f*up with it.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Microsoft has messed up with WP really big time on its way to this point.

First the WP7x > WP8 left many people stuck with the "same" OS, but they dont have apps or support for their devices. The regular folks dont understand this at all. Could this been avoided? I don't know, I'm not a software guy, smarter ones can let us know.

Integrated Facebook mess... Really? No one at Microsoft didn't think "what if something changes at FB side, we can't update our app" or if we look past that, who in their right mind at Microsoft thought the integrated part would be enough? "people are fine without liking answers or sending pictures" If the answer is that they knew that the app is needed anyway; why was it the ****tiest app in the world for ages? It is also VERY confusing for the average user that you have two ways of doing the same thing. Do it once and do it good!

And now the hubs have been taken apart... Ok I get that, maybe its a step for the better. However that doesn't change the fact that its very poor management going back and forth like this.

Whatever pull MS and WP got from Nokia its gone and lost. Many users had poor experience and they are gone. It will be super hard to get them back with bad experience in their mind.

I have the L1520 at the moment. Good device, but it could be a great (greatest) device if WP wasn't dragging it down. In many places just making everything bigger for the 6" screen is not good use of the potential.

I hope MS can pull their s*hit together, but I personally would fire many people in regards on things above. I'm using FB here because the user base is so large, you CANNOT f*up with it.

Quite the rant there, my friend.
Well first off, WP7 to WP8 wasn't necessary. Microsoft just got lazy. They thought they could make more money by making people by another device and they didn't want to spend the money to optimize WP8 with previous devices. They won't pull that off again, they understand that it would destroy them.
Secondly, they haven't made the best choices, obviously, but hopefully we're looking up at a new future. New flagship devices, a 1520 successor peeking over the horizon maybe? HTC released the best phone they ever made with Windows installed. Windows 8.1 fixed the biggest problems people had with Windows Phones, and Windows Phone 9 promises to massively improve Windows Phones.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
And, also, although apps aren't the best-in fact they're the worst out of every platform-they're improving massively and with new devices, Windows Phone 9 upcoming. HTC has jumped on board yet again, and with the hopeful success of the newest flagship Windows device, there's a good chance that app developers will see the intelligence in app support for Windows.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
No, could the WP7 > WP8 mess been avoided, by starting to code differently from the beginning, that was my question... WPCentral has become a funny place. What ever criticism people bring out, it's considered as rant.

Considering the things above purely from perspective of running and building a business, I see huge mistakes. I don't expect everyone to get it, but seriously people should be (maybe have been) fired over them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786