Here maps coming to Android

Radecho007

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Is there even a reason to own a windows phone anymore? If Microsoft is giving away all its advantages and having none of the competition's?

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
This move by Nokia going to kill wp.because only offline capability is real useful feature which android is lacking.now happy switching to android.android has apps like syngic navigation but they cost you 1000 rs.so nokia is going to loose indian consumers .already redmi 1 s is going to launch at 6000 rs.android one so android I going to pretty much kill wp .very sad 😢.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This move by Nokia going to kill wp.because only offline capability is real useful feature which android is lacking.

Was HERE Maps the only thing keeping WP afloat? :angel: I welcome HERE Maps on Android because of the offline feature. I prefer Google Maps otherwise, but offline use is huge.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
This move by Nokia going to kill wp.because only offline capability is real useful feature which android is lacking.now happy switching to android.android has apps like syngic navigation but they cost you 1000 rs.so nokia is going to loose indian consumers .already redmi 1 s is going to launch at 6000 rs.android one so android I going to pretty much kill wp .very sad 😢.
Well your right about that, if HERE Maps is free then it will become pretty popular on Android and this will be another reason for why you wouldn't have to get a Windows Phone to enjoy Microsoft services.

HERE Maps seemed pretty good but it didn't support my country, when I moved back to Android I bought Sygic for $19, haven't regretted doing so.

But HERE Maps would be an interesting addition.

Radecho007

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Was HERE Maps the only thing keeping WP afloat? :angel: I welcome HERE Maps on Android because of the offline feature. I prefer Google Maps otherwise, but offline use is huge.

No but it adds up. What do we get in return? Still no official YouTube app...

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
No but it adds up. What do we get in return? Still no official YouTube app...
If you ask a lot of Windows Phone users, they don't want an official YouTube app and say they are fine with myTube and MetroTube and the countless other 3rd party clients.

So there is pretty much no real demand for an official app.

HyperKid

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Everyone calm down. If you think Lumia users lost this,think again. The HERE maps and HERE drive+ was already made available to ALL WINDOWS PHONE users last year...REMEMBER???
And now since Microsoft didn't bought HERE, so they can do it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Is there even a reason to own a windows phone anymore? If Microsoft is giving away all its advantages and having none of the competition's?

The problem is not that other platforms are getting a taste of these services. That is good and necessary. The problem is that WP doesn't necessarily always offer the best implementation of them.

However, in this case, it's just Nokia doing what they must... bringing their services to where the market share is. Nokia no longer cares about Windows Phone sales. That is all in MS' hands now.

I really hope MS does a comprehensive restructuring of the multiple maps apps they currently have (including City Lens). It's a disorganized mess, and most have lackluster UIs (watching my fiancee get to grips with how the back button works in Nokia Drive was painful). All of them have a lot of potential for improvement. Having all these apps use the same address and POI database, with world wide coverage, would be another long overdue step.

Maps on WP haven't improved much in the last three years. That is the far bigger issue than Nokia maps coming to Samsung's Android devices.

Last edited:

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Android has google maps but here map is very useful offline.Then it means one more reason not to ditch android.ohh next would be Cortana to ios nd android.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Android has google maps but here map is very useful offline.Then it means one more reason not to ditch android.ohh next would be Cortana to ios nd android.

While I agree that Here Maps may have given Windows Phone a small competitive advantage, it also goes the other way too. Someone accustomed to Here Maps may be more willing to switch to Windows Phone than someone accustomed to Google Maps. Navteq, which Nokia has owned for a few years, is a very large mapping company and many GPS systems use their maps. It's not something that was special to Windows Phone. The problem is that Google pushed their services to Android users through bundling and other means so it didn't make sense for Android OEMs to try to go with a different mapping service. However, with recent disagreements between Samsung and Google, Samsung is looking for alternatives so it made sense to bring HERE maps because of the Navteq data which is comparable to what Google offers in Google maps.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
You've been able to keep huge map sections offline in Google maps for quite a while now. Online has it's advantages too when it comes to traffic, accidents, and construction alerts.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site

Haha. Let them have HERE Maps. It's pretty damn crap in the UK. It can't even find my local shopping centre where google maps gets it right first try.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo