Here maps coming to Android

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Wait. One thing at the time. Nokia's imaging goodness on Android is coming ;)

Really? That should be interesting to see... It seems that much of Nokia's imaging quality is due to the quality of the camera hardware and firmware. Software that must be compatible with diverse hardware (some of which is better than others) over which Nokia has no control may not achieve the desired result.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Another thread about this. Really?

The other thread that was trending was closed by Snowmutt, the Moderator, on the grounds that it was speculative and had gotten off topic. Apparently, there are people who wanted to continue the discussion...

The wonderful thing about community forums? You can choose which threads you post to and which threads you ignore. One thing I've noticed about the vibrant WPC community is there are many threads for almost every topic. Much better than a ghost town forum.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Really? That should be interesting to see... It seems that much of Nokia's imaging quality is due to the quality of the camera hardware and firmware. Software that must be compatible with diverse hardware (some of which is better than others) over which Nokia has no control may not achieve the desired result.

Actually most of Nokia's imaging quality is in the software. There are a lot of OEMs with good quality camera hardware but they can't figure out the software side. A great example is Sony. Sony flagships use Sony G lenses which are really good lenses. They use Sony's camera hardware which are great pieces of hardware. The iPhone 5S also uses the same Sony G lenses and Sony camera tech. The difference is that Apple was able to put up a software construction that took great advantage of Sony's hardware, while Sony itself is still trying to iron out the software on their own cameras.
(Ok, said like that it seems like Sony is struggling with the cameras. They aren't. Sony Xperia phones are the only ones that can actually compete with Nokia's but they're still not 100% there).

So Nokia is working on putting all their camera tech knowledge (and patents) to use. Because Android is open source, it's easier for Nokia to actually create a Camera App that takes good advantage of the camera on a phone than it is if the OS is closed-down. Of course, perfect results can only be achieved through a partnership with the OEM to get deeper access to the camera. And hey...who knows...maybe Nokia already has a couple of partnerships in the works ;)

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
For a price. Samsung is paying Nokia to develop the app for them, just as MS is paying for it on Windows Phone.

Actually Samsung is paying for the exclusivity for a couple of months. Nokia has plans to bring HERE to all Android phones by the end of 2014/ beginning of 2015.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
But in android we have google maps which is gud except u need data connection.but anyway I use it in my android xperia C .data consumption is only few mbs .not a huge data consumption.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Was here maps the only thing keeping some people on wp? As if there are a ton of people thinking "if only android had here maps...I would switch for sure." Here maps is ok but Google maps is so much better and more reliable. Offline storage is the only advantage of here maps, which may be important to some but not really to me. Well I take that back. I also liked that when I had my wp Here maps would show me what the speed limit was.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
New update from gsmarena is here mapps and all the offline navigation I available to android running 4 or above version via latest apk release.so here maps is free for android.another exclusivity lost.
From Windows phone

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Update working fine on xperia c.so here maps for android is in beta but it has arrived for android running version 4 or higher.
From Windows phone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo