9 free for 8.1 users but discounted for retail or OEM 8 versions?

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't get what this means...

This news comes courtesy of well-known leaker WZOR, reported Myce, who has claimed that Windows 8.1 users will be offered the upgrade to Windows 9 for free, while those currently working with a retail or OEM version of Windows 8 could get it for a heavily discounted price ($20 in the US).

Source: Windows 9 to be free for Windows 8.1 users? | IT PRO

I understand that 8.1 users will get it for free but what does it mean that OEM or retail versions will have discounted price?

Does it mean that those who didn't update to 8.1 earlier will have to pay $20 to upgrade? Or does it mean that those with 8.1 versions that came with their machines will have to pay $20 for upgrade?

I am going to buy a laptop soon but this article holds me back.

Really thankful if somebody can explain it thoroughly.
Thanks!

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
This sounds goofy. Everyone who has 8.0 has access to a free upgrade to 8.1 through the Windows store. Why would anyone be running 8.0?

While I haven't seen anything about 9.0 that makes me want it, if the rumor is true that 8.1 users can upgrade to it free, that would mean that everyone who has a start screen can upgrade free. They'll just have to go through the 8.1 process first.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Honestly this sounds like one of those things that only a bit of time will clarify. We'll know soon if this is reported wider, meaning it might be true - or if it's quickly debunked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans