tools
    Why not?

From what I understand
    -There is Full Windows. It has two components:
    1) Modern UI(WinRT)
    2) Desktop UI(Win32)

-There is Windows RT. Currently it has two components:
    1) Modern UI(WinRT)
    2) Desktop UI(Win32 for ARM; locked down)

-There is Windows Phone. Currently it has only one component.
    1) Modern UI(WinPRT; since WP8.1)
    NO DESKTOP UI

It remains to be seen how Microsoft implements Threshold.

From what I see, Threshold will mean:

-Shared code or subset of a greater code in Modern UI.
    - No Desktop UI in Phones and tablets. (According to sources).

It remains to be seen if they completely remove Desktop UI or just disable it. Technically, from what I understand, Desktop UI is an independent component that MS can attach and bundle with anything if they so desire, given the compatible hardware i-e
    -Desktop UI(win32)
    on Intel X86/64 and atom chipsets.
    -Desktop UI(win32 for ARM; currently locked down) on ARM chipsets.

If they could code some sort of universal ModernUI, the possibilities will be endless.

Am I right? Or did I mix things up? Lol.
    The rumors say it's the same code, same kernel, pretty much the same OS on every device, except the UI morphs to change depending on the form factor (obviously the phone won't have the desktop, and laptops may not have some phone-specific functions).

The reason why they took Windows 8 into the live tiles interface is to line up the UI with WP and XBO. Obviously that UI will get a few tweaks but MS is trying to get a sense of continuity here - that is if I've been using a Windows Phone I can pick up a tablet with Windows 9 on it a use it with no major problems - basically they're trying to reduce the learning curve WITHIN the MS ecosystem with the same design philosophies in the UI. So trees, they are trying to get at a (common, not totally universal) UI for the next version of Windows
    DoctorSaline likes this.
    09-02-2014 02:41 PM
    nononono. I love the XBox name. Why would they drop something that has such a loyal base? It took billions for create that brand recognition, ya can't just toss it out the window. I don't know.... I'm partial to Windows Phone.... because THAT'S what it is! It is not a "windows", it is a "windows" device. Which device I prithee? A phone... a Windows Phone :)

As for Surface, that's just the model of the device, not the platform.

Yes I agree. Changing a successful name like XBox is as smart as apple changing there iPhone to AppleTree or GridFest. Even if windows phone's name was changed they should keep the phone in the name. Like Xphone or WinXphone. Just naming it windows is confusing.
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 09-17-2014 at 12:12 AM.
    09-02-2014 02:44 PM
    Ehm, no, but granted, iOS is by far the fattest of the three. It occupies about 1.4 GB. That would be 14 hundred megabytes, and I did say hundreds of megabytes, not just "a couple megabytes" as you've falsely implied.

You are likely refering to the fact that to download, unpack, and install iOS requires about 3GB of free storage space, but that is irrelevant in this context.

WP clocks in around 400 megabytes. AOSP Android can be even smaller.

The point is, again, that these are all much leaner and cheaper to accommodate than a full blown Windows/RT installation of 7GB or more.

Finally, I never said MS would cut out the desktop on your surface (Pro). Such devices will continue to ship with full blown Windows, just as they do today. Completely different topic. However, MS will completely remove it from the simpler Surface (non Pro) tablets... they already kind of have.

Technically, yes. So? Again, that is completely irrelevant to my point.

I think your reaction kind of proves how refering to both OS' by the same name would just confuse people.
    Personally I prefer the name Windows 9 tbh because technically it will all be the same OS with slightly changed interfaces on each form factor, but I can understand if MS want to get away from that negative "Windows 8" stigma
    09-02-2014 02:48 PM
    because technically it will all be the same OS with slightly changed interfaces on each form factor,
    This is where you are making your mistake. If that were true, then I'd completely understand your point and agree with you.

The rumors say it's the same code, same kernel, pretty much the same OS on every device, except
    Yup, exactly this is why we disagree. It's true that many "consumery" websites with zero engineering knowledge are "reporting" along those lines, but it's complete malarkey.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... these will be two different operating systems. They will share the kernel (a very small part of the OS overall) and the WinRT runtime and APIs, but that is all. Even together, that represents a very small part of the OS we currently call Windows. These two OSes won't at all be "the same OS with slightly changed interfaces".
    09-02-2014 03:14 PM
    I have an awesome idea for a mobile OS name:

Windows Vista.

What? Why are you looking at me like that??
    tgp, DavidinCT and myfyp2 like this.
    09-02-2014 06:55 PM

Windows Vista.

lol.
    09-02-2014 07:48 PM
    Bad decision. Will make public confuse. Everyone will expect to run PC apps on their "pocket pcs".

Will only be confusing if they continue to market and operate as separate products, but if it marketed as and operates as one product on your computer,tablet,phone then there is no reason for confusion. Windows 8, Windows 8Rt, Windows Phone 8, that is confusing.
    Last edited by lcw731; 09-08-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    09-08-2014 12:24 PM

Windows Vista.

I remember at Vista's release I thought it was a cool sounding name. The actual product would be equally as good, right?

But for the record, I still think it was a cool sounding name!
    09-08-2014 12:30 PM
    MS Surface running Windows PRO (x86) with 8" ~ 12"
    MS Lumia running Windows PRT (phone+rt arm) with 4" ~ 6"

and please microsoft, stop rebranding

microsoft windows live hotmail, microsoft bing maps??

MS Maps
    MS Bing
    MS Explorer (internet explorer)

no more Microsoft Bing Live Hotmail for Windows 8.1.1.1.1.1..1
    09-09-2014 04:30 PM
    The idea of branding everything as "Windows" sounds interesting, however, it seems to suggest that this will be the one definite way we are all going to use our stuff for at least the next 50 years or so (which I kind of doubt). So once they start overhauling this whole thing again, they would run into some serious branding problems I suppose.
    09-09-2014 04:41 PM
    09-10-2014 11:07 AM
    Thanks for that. Pretty much what I expected. A self proclaimed geek with a background in dental work, but no knowledge of software, engineering, nor what MS' plans actually are. Nothing wrong with that, but like many other bloggers, he probably shouldn't attempt to interpret MS press releases that are intended for developers.

He could be correct about Nokia and Windows branding, but he definitely isn't correct about WP and Windows merging to become one and the same OS.
    09-10-2014 11:40 AM
    Some more fodder for our discussion is the article about the same on Verge (Can't post links yet. 10 post limit)
    09-10-2014 12:02 PM
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/10/61...ws-phone-brand

If Tom Warren confirms it, that's telling.
    a5cent likes this.
    09-10-2014 12:06 PM

Seems that the link was taken down, but here is the one from neowin
    Microsoft to drop Nokia and Windows Phone brands [Update] - Neowin
    09-10-2014 12:57 PM

A quote from the article:

"That doesn't mean the Windows Phone operating system is dead, just that Microsoft won't be using it as a brand in marketing materials in future. "

This is pretty much what I've been saying all along. We've already seen how much confusion this move has created in this thread alone, with people assuming that calling it all the same thing, means it is all the same thing. It's not surprising that people who understand what an OS is would suspect that.

To me this sounds pretty confusing, even more confusing than Windows RT. I wonder how this is intended to help MS sell Windows (a.k.a. WP+RT) and Windows (a.k.a. the original Windows) to the masses.

Since all versions of "Windows" will run the same ModerUI apps, calling it all the same thing isn't completely unjustified, but how many will scold MS for making it so hard for the average Joe to determine if a specific device will actually run Windows desktop applications, or only the ModernUI apps?
    09-10-2014 01:00 PM
    Not sure I like where it's going but, I'll ride it out....

I do not think they should change the name of Windows Phone... They have spent BILLIONS to get people to even hear the Windows Phone name and now they are going to change it and possibly confuse people ?

There are good and bad to everything of course but, changing the name of Windows Phone devices is not a good move...
    09-10-2014 01:30 PM
    Just Windows sounds really odd. I somehow preferred the way it currently is termed as Windows Phone.
    09-10-2014 01:52 PM
    Yeah, they could just use Windows Desktop, Windows Touch (for the old RT, and potentially "merged" RT/Phone), and Windows Phone.
    09-10-2014 02:38 PM
    Windows 9
    09-10-2014 02:49 PM
    Getting rid to the names to reduce confusion, in this case just made me confused. To me this is not helping much :( .
    09-10-2014 07:41 PM
    I think Windows Phone should stay... It makes sense and it will make it more valid in a Phone platform.
    09-10-2014 07:45 PM
    I think Windows Phone should stay... It makes sense and it will make it more valid in a Phone platform.
    See, the problem is that one of the upcoming SKUs of Windows will combine WP and RT. They can't call a 10-inch tablet Windows Phone.
    09-10-2014 08:45 PM
    My God! This is Windows RT all over. But this time, phones running on windows will get affected too. See, how silly it sounds?
    09-10-2014 08:50 PM
    See, the problem is that one of the upcoming SKUs of Windows will combine WP and RT. They can't call a 10-inch tablet Windows Phone.
    Hold on... The GUI in the phone and tablet are different... Are you saying that the next version of Windows will combine the same GUI?
    09-10-2014 08:52 PM
86 1234