09-23-2014 02:55 PM
86 ... 234
tools
    See, the problem is that one of the upcoming SKUs of Windows will combine WP and RT. They can't call a 10-inch tablet Windows Phone.
    That is surely a good point. But then I say again, why not "Surface OS"? Okay, someone will surely shorten that to S.O.S., which may not be such a good thing, but still. Just anything other than plain "Windows" would be better, no? I still think we must be missing something... :-/
    DoctorSaline likes this.
    09-10-2014 08:53 PM
    Hold on... The GUI in the phone and tablet are different... Are you saying that the next version of Windows will combine the same GUI?
    I'm not sure what it'll look like, but it has been unofficially confirmed that there will only be one SKU of Windows on ARM and it combines WP and RT.
    09-10-2014 08:55 PM
    That is surely a good point. But then I say again, why not "Surface OS"? Okay, someone will surely shorten that to S.O.S., which may not be such a good thing, but still. Just anything other than plain "Windows" would be better, no? I still think we must be missing something... :-/
    I've thought about it a lot, but the only conclusion that I've come to is that I'm glad I'm not the one in charge of the branding lol. I'm honestly not sure what to call it.
    DoctorSaline and a5cent like this.
    09-10-2014 08:56 PM
    So I found this interesting....

I finally decided to look at the picture instead of just reading the article and I noticed that it says "we will drop the manufacturer name from product references during the Holiday Campaign'". I found that interesting because it said that it's only doing that for the holiday CAMPAIGN. I think these articles could have it wrong and the name could only be dropped in the advertisements. Idk, but to me, "holiday campaign" sounds like an advertisement, not a product. So the Nokia name might not be leaving from the phones *yet*.
    09-11-2014 12:06 PM
    I just hope its more RT and less WP... the side swipe/charm thing on RT is very efficient.

Whatever they do, we are in for another semi-major overhaul of the OS.. no in terms of core, but UI..
    09-11-2014 12:49 PM
    They should simplify things:

Microsoft Windows Phone Pro Home Edition Deluxe 3.
    HeyCori, tgp and a5cent like this.
    09-11-2014 02:31 PM
    So I found this interesting....

I finally decided to look at the picture instead of just reading the article and I noticed that it says "we will drop the manufacturer name from product references during the Holiday Campaign'". I found that interesting because it said that it's only doing that for the holiday CAMPAIGN. I think these articles could have it wrong and the name could only be dropped in the advertisements. Idk, but to me, "holiday campaign" sounds like an advertisement, not a product. So the Nokia name might not be leaving from the phones *yet*.
    To be more specific, the section said "As part of our phased transition we will drop the manufacturer name from product references during the Holiday campaign". To me, that first part is essential in understanding that this is a further step to drop the Nokia brand (which Microsoft don't have the rights to) and apply their own branding. This phase transition has been planned and in the works for a long time, we just haven't known how the new brand would shape up. It would be folly to spend a lot of money on an expensive Holiday campaign with a brand you're never going to use.
    09-11-2014 03:04 PM
    I just hope its more RT and less WP... the side swipe/charm thing on RT is very efficient.

Whatever they do, we are in for another semi-major overhaul of the OS.. no in terms of core, but UI..

I don't see how they will make the UI the same, the charm rt thing was designed for larger screens. The core OS might be the same, but the UI elements? The phone UI could be used on larger screens but the other way around? Think about having desktop windows 8/8.1 on your phone without the desktop portion. It doesn't work. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here?
    09-14-2014 03:02 PM
    Heck yeah. A more universal approach.
    09-14-2014 04:24 PM
    i like the whole one core idea!
    09-16-2014 03:47 AM
    So their phones will be called Lumia Windows?
    09-23-2014 02:55 PM
86 ... 234