Windows Phone to be renamed just "Windows"?

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey folks,
Here we are with an excelent news. Yes, windows phone branding name is going to be change in future. And it would be just "Windows".
Here are some clues you can see:
*Windows phone india twitter account is now Windows india for all WP news.
*HTC One M8 windows. ( It was looking strange before. because, HTC taken only WINDOWS instead of Windows Phone for Brand name)
*And therefore because The verge reported that windows phone 9 would be able to work as Windows RT. Means in future update Our mobile phone will be our Pocket PC with WINDOWS 9 for mobile.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
re: Windows Phone to be renamed just "Windows"?

Bad decision. Will make public confuse. Everyone will expect to run PC apps on their "pocket pcs".

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

What's in the name really ??
Just means that they are serious about the universal apps & stuff

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

I think unifying the Windows Phone OS and Windows RT will be a very good move.

Hopefully most of the apps from the 2 stores will be re-released to the unified OS. Can't help but be a step forward IMO.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Did I miss the official part somewhere? I don't remember reading about Microsoft saying it. If they don't say it, it's not official, just conjecture.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just calling it Windows would mean MS is looking to repeat the Windows RT naming desaster. Apparently, if in doubt, choosing a name that suggests the OS is something it isn't, is just how MS roles.

Call it "Surface OS" for crying out loud. It creates a connection to being focused on touch input, and makes it clear it is NOT Windows, which it really isn't.

This naming idea is so bad it probably is true :-/

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Just calling it Windows would mean MS is looking to repeat the Windows RT naming desaster. Apparently, if in doubt, choosing a name that suggests the OS is something it isn't, is just how MS roles.

Call it "Surface OS" for crying out loud. It creates a connection to being focused on touch input, and makes it clear it is NOT Windows, which it really isn't.

This naming idea is so bad it probably is true :-/
Modern Windows for ARM, perhaps?

Yeah, this naming system is horrific.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I for one is in favor of dropping the windows moniker altogether. Also, I'd want them to rebrand as Microsoft and drop with this XBox and One branding. They should rebrand their services as Microsoft Music, Video, Search, Drive, Maps, Mail. Also adopt generic naming system for OSes. OS M for PCs and mOS for mobile, tablets etc. Give them numbers with each iteration starting from 1. They could also give each update a name to define its significance. I for one would love to see next iteration of OSes marketed as Threshold commercially and what it means. And leave the XBox branding for gaming purposes only.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

It make sense, now Windows is different in each form factor. For example, Surface RT is a tablet, won't have the desktop.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

I for one is in favor of dropping the windows moniker altogether. Also, I'd want them to rebrand as Microsoft and drop with this XBox and One branding. .

Funnily enough I thought it would actually make more sense to call OS9 something like Windows One, if the following hold true:

It is the same (or at least looks like it and makes it easy for the developers) OS across the various platforms (Xbox, PC, tablet and phone).

They come up with a ONE tag for the browser and search (They are looking to rebrand IE and to be honest "Bing" isn't the best name in the world).

Although I have no issue with the Xbox brand so for example Xbox Music does give an odd ring for non gamers (Although I am a non gamer but do have an Xbox) so "One Music" would actually be a better title (I know some of you have issues but for me it works well and is the only music system I need if they brought out a stand alone music/media player, so the One name would work).

Bob

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I like the idea to call everything Windows.
Why?
-Why not?

Yes, confusion for some, but not for me. I know what's going on, and if anyone else wonders - well they better get reading articles n stuff.

It's cool because it unifies all of MS, but it will be cool only if those really are almost the same systems, not just look-alikes.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

Unless they're mentally challenged!!! What type of phone do you have?? Oh I've just bought a WINDOWS phone, You did I heard they were improving their OS and App Store so how's it so far? So far I'm loving it you should try it out!! And yet I see EXACTLY how re-branding it to WINDOWS would be confusing.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

Just call it Windows Mobile

What do we call Apple's Phone - iPhone, what do we call Google's OS - Android, nothing wrong with just windows. Anyone I work with asks me I tell them I have a windows phone as they mostly use iPhone and Androids.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

I for one is in favor of dropping the windows moniker altogether. Also, I'd want them to rebrand as Microsoft and drop with this XBox and One branding. They should rebrand their services as Microsoft Music, Video, Search, Drive, Maps, Mail. Also adopt generic naming system for OSes. OS M for PCs and mOS for mobile, tablets etc. Give them numbers with each iteration starting from 1. They could also give each update a name to define its significance. I for one would love to see next iteration of OSes marketed as Threshold commercially and what it means. And leave the XBox branding for gaming purposes only.

Completely agree!!!

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

Would really love after whatever they decide to go with is that on this mobile OS that they FINALLY PUT THE SETTINGS MENU IN A CATEGORIZED FORMAT. MS does things their way yes but what's so difficult in having the settings menu in ORDER instead of scrolling up or down to pass what you're looking for to then go back up or down again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro