09-23-2014 02:55 PM
86 123 ...
tools
    Hey folks,
    Here we are with an excelent news. Yes, windows phone branding name is going to be change in future. And it would be just "Windows".
    Here are some clues you can see:
    *Windows phone india twitter account is now Windows india for all WP news.
    *HTC One M8 windows. ( It was looking strange before. because, HTC taken only WINDOWS instead of Windows Phone for Brand name)
    *And therefore because The verge reported that windows phone 9 would be able to work as Windows RT. Means in future update Our mobile phone will be our Pocket PC with WINDOWS 9 for mobile.
    08-30-2014 12:32 PM
    Anything official yet...
    08-30-2014 12:34 PM
    Bad decision. Will make public confuse. Everyone will expect to run PC apps on their "pocket pcs".
    08-30-2014 12:34 PM
    What's in the name really ??
    Just means that they are serious about the universal apps & stuff
    snowmutt likes this.
    08-30-2014 12:48 PM
    I think unifying the Windows Phone OS and Windows RT will be a very good move.

Hopefully most of the apps from the 2 stores will be re-released to the unified OS. Can't help but be a step forward IMO.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    08-30-2014 12:51 PM
    What's in the name really ??
    Just means that they are serious about the universal apps & stuff
    Yes, they are. We are in the world of windows. Possibilities are countless.
    08-30-2014 01:05 PM
    Just call it Windows Mobile
    08-30-2014 01:42 PM
    Did I miss the official part somewhere? I don't remember reading about Microsoft saying it. If they don't say it, it's not official, just conjecture.
    08-30-2014 02:06 PM
    people have bad experiences with that name, apparently. Surface or Windows is fine.
    08-30-2014 06:33 PM
    Just calling it Windows would mean MS is looking to repeat the Windows RT naming desaster. Apparently, if in doubt, choosing a name that suggests the OS is something it isn't, is just how MS roles.

Call it "Surface OS" for crying out loud. It creates a connection to being focused on touch input, and makes it clear it is NOT Windows, which it really isn't.

This naming idea is so bad it probably is true :-/
    08-30-2014 07:23 PM
    Just calling it Windows would mean MS is looking to repeat the Windows RT naming desaster. Apparently, if in doubt, choosing a name that suggests the OS is something it isn't, is just how MS roles.

Call it "Surface OS" for crying out loud. It creates a connection to being focused on touch input, and makes it clear it is NOT Windows, which it really isn't.

This naming idea is so bad it probably is true :-/
    Modern Windows for ARM, perhaps?

Yeah, this naming system is horrific.
    snowmutt and a5cent like this.
    08-30-2014 07:55 PM
    I for one is in favor of dropping the windows moniker altogether. Also, I'd want them to rebrand as Microsoft and drop with this XBox and One branding. They should rebrand their services as Microsoft Music, Video, Search, Drive, Maps, Mail. Also adopt generic naming system for OSes. OS M for PCs and mOS for mobile, tablets etc. Give them numbers with each iteration starting from 1. They could also give each update a name to define its significance. I for one would love to see next iteration of OSes marketed as Threshold commercially and what it means. And leave the XBox branding for gaming purposes only.
    pedmar007 and lkcbharath like this.
    08-30-2014 08:19 PM
    It make sense, now Windows is different in each form factor. For example, Surface RT is a tablet, won't have the desktop.
    08-31-2014 01:09 AM
    I for one is in favor of dropping the windows moniker altogether. Also, I'd want them to rebrand as Microsoft and drop with this XBox and One branding. .
    Funnily enough I thought it would actually make more sense to call OS9 something like Windows One, if the following hold true:

It is the same (or at least looks like it and makes it easy for the developers) OS across the various platforms (Xbox, PC, tablet and phone).

They come up with a ONE tag for the browser and search (They are looking to rebrand IE and to be honest "Bing" isn't the best name in the world).

Although I have no issue with the Xbox brand so for example Xbox Music does give an odd ring for non gamers (Although I am a non gamer but do have an Xbox) so "One Music" would actually be a better title (I know some of you have issues but for me it works well and is the only music system I need if they brought out a stand alone music/media player, so the One name would work).

Bob
    08-31-2014 02:02 AM
    I like the idea to call everything Windows.
    Why?
    -Why not?

Yes, confusion for some, but not for me. I know what's going on, and if anyone else wonders - well they better get reading articles n stuff.

It's cool because it unifies all of MS, but it will be cool only if those really are almost the same systems, not just look-alikes.
    R Robin likes this.
    08-31-2014 08:21 AM
    Unless they're mentally challenged!!! What type of phone do you have?? Oh I've just bought a WINDOWS phone, You did I heard they were improving their OS and App Store so how's it so far? So far I'm loving it you should try it out!! And yet I see EXACTLY how re-branding it to WINDOWS would be confusing.
    08-31-2014 08:30 AM
    What do we call Apple's Phone - iPhone, what do we call Google's OS - Android, nothing wrong with just windows. Anyone I work with asks me I tell them I have a windows phone as they mostly use iPhone and Androids.
    Shobin Drogan likes this.
    08-31-2014 08:32 AM
    people have bad experiences with that name, apparently. Surface or Windows is fine.
    And people who've had bad experiences with Android and IOS still own Android and IOS devices.
    08-31-2014 08:33 AM
    I for one is in favor of dropping the windows moniker altogether. Also, I'd want them to rebrand as Microsoft and drop with this XBox and One branding. They should rebrand their services as Microsoft Music, Video, Search, Drive, Maps, Mail. Also adopt generic naming system for OSes. OS M for PCs and mOS for mobile, tablets etc. Give them numbers with each iteration starting from 1. They could also give each update a name to define its significance. I for one would love to see next iteration of OSes marketed as Threshold commercially and what it means. And leave the XBox branding for gaming purposes only.

Completely agree!!!
    ivdza and DoctorSaline like this.
    08-31-2014 08:38 AM
    Would really love after whatever they decide to go with is that on this mobile OS that they FINALLY PUT THE SETTINGS MENU IN A CATEGORIZED FORMAT. MS does things their way yes but what's so difficult in having the settings menu in ORDER instead of scrolling up or down to pass what you're looking for to then go back up or down again.
    Torcher Death likes this.
    08-31-2014 08:48 AM
    I think OP speculates correctly. Even in India they advertise the Lumia 630 with Windows 8.1 instead of Windows phone 8.1
    08-31-2014 10:19 AM
    While its makes sense to refer to just Windows, it will cause confusion for the public. However with that said, if its that drastic of a change (it literally doesn't look like it does now with tiles but another form ot design) it will make sense as its no longer the same...if this does happen it will be interesting.
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-31-2014 10:26 AM
    While its makes sense to refer to just Windows, it will cause confusion for the public. However with that said, if its that drastic of a change (it literally doesn't look like it does now with tiles but another form ot design) it will make sense as its no longer the same...if this does happen it will be interesting.
    While I don't agree they will call this just Windows, I do agree that by doing so, it will only confound the market Microsoft is going after, mid to low end. But if this is the choice coming out of India, we just have to wait and see how they sell the idea. Maybe they did market analysis and this is the best course for the location they plan to address first. Not the US but India.
    elmacho likes this.
    08-31-2014 11:20 AM
    It's cool because it unifies all of MS, but it will be cool only if those really are almost the same systems, not just look-alikes.
    Except they won't be the same systems at all. One OS will be used on phones and tablets, the other on desktops and laptops. Both will share the identical WinRT runtime environment and APIs, but that is the extent of the similarities. It's best to think of one being a subset of the other, but they will definitely not be the same.

All OSes will run "Windows Store Apps" (another ridiculous name), but tablets and phones WON'T run WINDOWS programs.

In summary, the OSes will not be the same, they won't all run Windows programs, and on touch enabled devices you'll never see a UI component anyone would call a Window.

Yeah, calling them all "Windows" is a great idea. /s

The tech press will act all confused, and 90% of the population won't understand whether a particular windows device can run their windows programs...

I'm not sure this is really what's happening though. It sounds too strange, even for MS' marketing team.
    Last edited by a5cent; 08-31-2014 at 01:25 PM.
    elmacho likes this.
    08-31-2014 11:44 AM
    Call it... Fred. Full name- Fred O.S.

Honestly, Surface OS sounds catchy. I like it. Keep "Windows" for the PC/Laptop/Full function Tablet OS, Surface OS for phones and the current Windows RT line.

By the way- WIndows RT is my nomination for the worst branding ever and the tipping point for all this confusion.

No need to rename Bing or XBOX. Those brand names are well known and unique.
    a5cent likes this.
    08-31-2014 05:00 PM
86 123 ...