$199 HP Stream looks VERY interesting

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I took a look at the service and maintenance guide of the HP Stream (link) and came across some interesting details.

The specs - 2GB RAM, AMD A4 Micro-6400T CPU (quad-core) and 32/64GB eMMC flash memory - make this a potentially good device. If tablets such as the Dell Venue 8 Pro and Toshiba Encore are of any indication, the HP Stream could deliver a pleasant experience. Though I imagine the experience on this device would be optimal with Threshold considering how it restores the Start Menu and windows Store apps.

Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting to run intensive creative applications or the latest Steam games on this device, but for the casual computer user, this could be great, truly great. Imagine a device that works well in terms of speed and responsiveness, gives you Windows' far-reaching compatibility (especially with device drivers) and gives you a selection (albeit limited) of Store apps designed to run on low-powered hardware.

People who know what they're doing will definitely exact a lot of mileage out of the HP Stream, but I would definitely be interested in seeing how it catches on with normal people. In fact, the guide suggests that multiple colour options will be offered with the Stream including silver, green and purple. It sounds as though HP is definitely eager to push this kind of device.

Toshiba and ASUS will also offer comparable devices. For example, Toshiba will offer an 11 inch device with 2GB RAM and 32GB SSD for $249.99, not sure about the CPU though. ASUS will also offer an 11-inch device for $199 device with an Atom CPU, 32GB SSD and 4GB of RAM. Interesting times ahead.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Netbook 2.0. This screams Netbook 2.0.

And, as if there isn't enough proof already, this'll run fine with Windows 8.1.
When I hear 'Netbook' I think about single core Atom CPUs, 10 inch screens and clunky HDDs. A traumatic experience, more so than those DBZ episodes where there's no progress in the plot.

Microsoft should put a damper on any talk about this being a Netbook 2.0...they should refer to these devices as 'Streambooks' or something.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
That AMD CPU is worst than the Atom?

What about battery life?
The AMD was probably chosen for cost reasons, but Atom-powered alternatives will be available, though from Asus and probably others. That said, given how efficient Windows 8.x has been with older and lesser spec'd hardware, I think this AMD CPU will offer a fairly pleasant experience.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
When I hear 'Netbook' I think about single core Atom CPUs, 10 inch screens and clunky HDDs. A traumatic experience, more so than those DBZ episodes where there's no progress in the plot.

Microsoft should put a damper on any talk about this being a Netbook 2.0...they should refer to these devices as 'Streambooks' or something.
You just reminded me of those anime where the ratio between filler to plot is 10:1. *shudders*

How to market this is an issue that is easily solved with a side-by-side comparison between this and a netbook from 2009.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos