No windows phones in stores!!

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm very confused why microsoft focus on the US so much anyway

The US is the third most populous country in the world, with the largest market for mobile phones of any kind. The US has the highest sales of Windows phones of any sales region, even if the market share is a little lower here. We have almost 5x the population of the UK, just as a simple example. Also, the majority of the WP team live and work in the US. I'm not arguing against MS putting more effort into other countries, because they certainly should wherever they can, but they'd be silly to deemphasize the US. I agree they need to find ways to get some enthusiasm built up in the carriers and retailers, though.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I see 520 in walmart its pretty big cuz of its low price. I think it was on smart talk, even had a banner for the phone there

joelinpa

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Well a similar thing happened to me today here in Pennsylvania. I walked into a Verizon Wireless company store in a major shopping mall to see the HTC One for WP. I asked to see the phone and they answered that they didn't have any on display. They would ask someone else who might know if they had any WPs at all. After waiting several minutes for an answer (because obviously this particular salesperson knew nothing at all about WP!) I was appalled at the result of their inquiry. They replied that there were several new HTC One's in stock in the back room, but I couldn't actually see one for myself! They continued that these phones were only reserved for those who were actually purchasing the phone! They then recommended that I maybe find the Android version and take a look at that. I was so disgusted that I said no thanks and left the store immediately.

Again, I could not believe how Verizon is treating the new HTC phone and WP in general. For such a major carrier to put such a minor emphasis on this new quality product is beyond comprehension to me. Microsoft really needs to see what they really can do about this!

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
They would ask They then recommended that I maybe find the Android version and take a look at that. I was so disgusted that I said no thanks and left the store immediately.

Again, I could not believe how Verizon is treating the new HTC phone and WP in general. For such a major carrier to put such a minor emphasis on this new quality product is beyond comprehension to me. Microsoft really needs to see what they really can do about this!
That's why the market share is so low, they push the Android first than the WP. Microsoft should take a look at this issue in Verizon and AT&T.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I've asked about Windows Phones in a couple of AT&T stores and one T-Mobile store. Not once did the sales clerk question my interests, or try to steer me away from buying one. If you stand in a carrier store saying nothing, or simply tell them you are looking for a phone, they will right off the bat tell you to check out the Galaxy S5. But it's only because so many people buy S5's that it's natural for them recommend it first.

I don't believe that there's any secret agenda in carrier stores to keep people from buying Windows Phones. And I think the only reason why some stores don't have them on display or keep them in stock is because they simply don't sell well in some regions. If the interest was there, and the phones were popular, you can bet your last dollar that carrier store would have them prominently displayed and fully stocked.

I had a young female teeny bopper sales person tell me that all of the Windows Phones in the store had great cameras, and that the phones were great if you wanted something different. I think that's about all we can really hope to get out of sales people, especially if the store is busy.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
[h=1]No windows phones in stores!![/h]

If you go into the all inclusive retailers around there's Windows phones to be had.
I'm on T-Mobile and all my Winphones were bought from Amazon, Newegg or HSN.

Almost 2 years since I've set foot in a T-Mobile or any provider store.
There's simply too many other cheaper sources these days.

Unkn0wnU53r

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Something like this happened to me here in M?xico, wanted to buy a Wp for a friend, went to the few stores around, asked to see the Wp available, they have nothing, even they think that WhatsApp doesn't work anymore on Wp... Replied him that it works, tries other store and they don't have any Wp, not even the 520, and when I asked for a Lumia,they said "we don't sell any Nokia, but we can show you better phones" I left the place and tried other store, found a 520 a little overpriced, but my friend was really interested on try a Wp, Microsoft have a lot of work to do, is not enough what they are doing (whatever it is)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It is not the retailers, but the people who actually run the store and do the displays. There have been countless instances where reps have deliberately not set up the display phones correctly, unplugged the cord so the phone dies since it is not being charged, turn the phones off and lead the customers to android or ios phones. I have been into every store - EE, O2, Virgin, Vodafone, Carphone Warehouse, Phones4U, little corner shops.. it is rife like a plague of animosity.

These are just a few examples that show how bias these store reps are, which is a given as most are teenagers or in their early twenties therefore would probably have never seen or used a windows phone as their daily driver (let alone a phone running windows mobile).

The lies they come out with, are just plain aggravating even though I have worked in sales before and I know that most sales people have no morals whatsoever. They will lie out of their teeth to make a sale and to earn some commission, which is why when they ask if i need any assistance I wave them off.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've asked about Windows Phones in a couple of AT&T stores and one T-Mobile store. Not once did the sales clerk question my interests, or try to steer me away from buying one. If you stand in a carrier store saying nothing, or simply tell them you are looking for a phone, they will right off the bat tell you to check out the Galaxy S5. But it's only because so many people buy S5's that it's natural for them recommend it first.

I don't believe that there's any secret agenda in carrier stores to keep people from buying Windows Phones. And I think the only reason why some stores don't have them on display or keep them in stock is because they simply don't sell well in some regions. If the interest was there, and the phones were popular, you can bet your last dollar that carrier store would have them prominently displayed and fully stocked.

I had a young female teeny bopper sales person tell me that all of the Windows Phones in the store had great cameras, and that the phones were great if you wanted something different. I think that's about all we can really hope to get out of sales people, especially if the store is busy.

I disagree ...

is it possible that other manufacturers are incentivizing the sale of their phones - I have nothing concrete, but ... (agree, it does appear to be simple economics)

In addition, the carriers must agree to purchase a certain number of phones from manufacturer, which results in trickle down pressure to push these phones. That would account for the bad mouthing of Windows phone by carrier reps (it hurts their wallet - they may make a bit xtra if they sell that iPhone / SGS 5 / (or blow out the remaining) Galaxy Note 3). The carriers appear to be saying ' ... they're lucky we stock their phones ...' referring to WinPhone.

Perhaps, MS's deep pockets, incentivize the sale of Windows Phone ... after all, the Windows Phone just works. The sales niche would be pushback about Apple / iPhone prices vs. Android, with Windows Phone right smack in the middle re: ease of use. The (soon to be released) iPhone6 may come in @ $100 more on contract.

Simply my opinion.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
By the sounds of it the UK must be one of the only markets that actually display Windows Phone's in the mobile phone shops.

I went in to 2 different phone shops on the day the 930 was launched here & the whole range of Windows Phone's available in the UK was on display in both retailers.

NokianWP

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I happened to find myself at the Steeplegate Mall in Concord, NH today. The Verizon store had NO windows phones. "But we can order one if you want," stated the salesperson.
The Radio Shack had only a 928 in stock and one other phone on display ( I think an 822.)
I then went to the Best Buy across the street who had NO windows phones in stock or on display! A Best Buy!!!! "We are just a small store. Maybe a larger one will have them," stated that salesperson.
My daughter's response was, "perhaps the windows phones are not as good as you think!"
Microsoft needs to WAKE UP and get phones in the stores!!!!!!
I was very disappointed that I was unable to touch and share with my daughter, a potential customer a 635, a 1020, a 1520, an Icon or the new HTC M8!!!!

hmm, at&t seems to always have them in posters, so I assume they are inside.

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I happened to find myself at the Steeplegate Mall in Concord, NH today. The Verizon store had NO windows phones. "But we can order one if you want," stated the salesperson.
The Radio Shack had only a 928 in stock and one other phone on display ( I think an 822.)
I then went to the Best Buy across the street who had NO windows phones in stock or on display! A Best Buy!!!! "We are just a small store. Maybe a larger one will have them," stated that salesperson.
My daughter's response was, "perhaps the windows phones are not as good as you think!"
Microsoft needs to WAKE UP and get phones in the stores!!!!!!
I was very disappointed that I was unable to touch and share with my daughter, a potential customer a 635, a 1020, a 1520, an Icon or the new HTC M8!!!!
I

I'm from concord as well. The Verizon company store on Fort Eddie Rd had them all.. The store in the mall is just a dealer, best buy only sells online. WalMart sells prepaid via store but more online.

Honestly, i just drive to the Microsoft store in Salem. Great service and obviously knowledgeable. MS extended warranty is awesome.. My 925 broke and they no longer carried it, so they let me pay the difference from original retail value of the 925 to the new M8 plus the$49 deductible. So i walked out for $150 no contract Verizon phone. Plus the balance of the two year warranty.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't confuse carrier or electronics retail store reps steering people away from WP as being from some kind of dislike or bias. These stores normally only stock and promote products that they know will move. The store managers know they can safely put a restocking order in on certain brands without being stuck with inventory that's not moving. It's not just WP, you'll see that finding electronics in stock for items that don't move regularly is always more difficult. Managers don't want them sitting unsold in inventory. It's more cost effective to order products that aren't moving on an as-needed basis.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Paid a visit to the local AT&T shop. They had the top end Lumia phones as well as the 635 on display!! The 635 looked and felt great....
My problem with AT&T is their notoriously spotty coverage in my area (Verizon is slightly better)! I have a 925 and 520 and get 1-2 bars in my home. I get no bars at the homes of my family in the area.....
Only U.S.Cellular has decent coverage in SW-NH but they have CDMA phones.....

Svoboda

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
AT&T stores in my area carry a bunch of WP phones, even in the smaller stores (in small towns).

People want to hold and look at items before they buy them. And for a lot of us, we do not have a Microsoft store anywhere near us. I'd have to go 73 miles to find one.

I find that hard to believe. What models?

I've been into 5 different AT&T stores in my market and each of them have 3 phones available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro