09-01-2014 10:50 PM
35 12
tools
    Sounds like a fanboy (a lot of MS devices/services) disappointment (so much anger).
    09-01-2014 07:42 PM
    Sounds like a fanboy (a lot of MS devices/services) disappointment (so much anger).
    Yep and you see it on every OS, phone or desktop.... Just go through the Apple forums on people waiting for the so called iPhone 6 and most of them will be disappointed...as apple does every year.

and there will be threads and threads about it...

Everyone deserves to vent....and what other place than a Windows Phone forum ?
    09-01-2014 07:57 PM
    Well I hope so, but honestly, I don't know if I want to spend anywhere between $100-$200 to find out. It's really just a couple of things that are bugging me, but these are BIG THINGS TO ME. The music app on my phone is used more than using the phone for calls. IE11 on the desktop just won't freaking work.

But as I mentioned, I am into aviation and there, Apple is king. As I also mentioned, my contract isn't up until December so I will have time to look things over with the new iOS. Fortunately, I don't have to do a whole lotta stuff that I have to do on a Windows-based PC...no Powerpoint, no developing of apps, gaming, etc.

I keep thinking about staying with WP and use an iPad Mini alongside it, but again, I keep going back to the fact that 100% of the apps are written for iPhone first...anything on WP is just a gimped and cheap port.

Sooo...let's see what happens. Should be interesting to say the least.
    09-01-2014 09:47 PM
    I hear you on that...when I was in school, Office XP was the current, but when the next version came out, I discovered that the work I was doing at home was totally botched on the machines at school. (and by school I mean college, not HS). These days, if I have to send a digital document, I fire up Acrobat and save it as a PDF. Pretty much solves those problems.
    09-01-2014 10:01 PM
    I'm definitely in the minority who doesn't mind the Metro side of Windows 8, though honestly, it's limitations stopped me from buying a Surface RT. Honestly though, I fire-up Metro for Dilbert Reader and Music (which I mentioned, has not been playing nicely with my local collection).

You're also right about the hit/miss cycle of Windows (who remembers that abortion called ME? lol), but Win8 is stable and the desktop part runs smooth enough...it's IE11 that's a mess. I really don't even miss the old Start menu.

...and I am not looking forward for the financial rape Apple puts on its customers...ugh.
    09-01-2014 10:07 PM
    Two things have stopped me from liking Surface Pro...

1. Weight. Too much for my liking.
    2. The kickstand.

SP3 does a great job on those two issues, but I can't justify the price since I don't have a need for such a device. I am not a road warrior who has to write code or articles day and night. A simple, easy to use, and lightweight consumption device is really all I need. Surface RT is slightly too large, but it's the fact that I don't want to work in those half-baked Metro apps that stops me.
    09-01-2014 10:10 PM
    God I agree with everything you said about Apple, I really do, but the fact is that the apps I want to use for aviation are on iPad (sure, there are some on Android as well, but I don't want to go that direction). Linux is still the red-headed stepchild to me.
    09-01-2014 10:18 PM
    It's not a tantrum, but thanks for playing.
    09-01-2014 10:19 PM
    BTW, I have read all replies and have replied to most. On my screen, all of my replies are being listed at the end of the thread without any "in response to..." anywhere to be seen. So if you're wondering why I have all of these seemingly disjointed replies, that's why.
    09-01-2014 10:36 PM
    An open letter to MS should be sent to MS.
    This ones done.
    Thread closed.
    09-01-2014 10:50 PM
35 12