Mobile payments: WP, iOS, Andoid .. oh my

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
It's been almost 2 years since Microsoft announced mobile payments with WP8. I got my secure SIM as soon as my carrier had it and waited patiently to use the feature. As soon as the tap-to-pay feature showed up in my NFC setting, I turned it on and headed to my local store with my 1520 to try it out. Needless to say, disappointment and a little embarrassment followed as it didn't work. Come to find out I still have to wait on an app and/or carrier enablement.

I look at the Verizon M8 Android and it says ISIS Ready. Yet WP M8 on Verizon does not show ISIS ready. I wonder why the long wait..

Now leaked info on iPhone 6 to include NFC and mobile payments. With all my waiting, is the iPhone going to get mobile NFC payments before I will with WP 8.1?

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
There's no reason Isis can't work on WP, at least to my knowledge. It's very disappointing that after all this time tap to pay doesn't work.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Heck, they ALREADY have an iOS app for ISIS -- they released a case to implement NFC functionality!

So while tens of millions of WP and BB X devices are ready to use to use it they through all that to release it to a platform with no NFC native to it.

Arghhhh

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Stuff such as wireless payments, card scans, boarding passes, tickets, etc should be standardized across everything.

Not only should it be standard in terms of hardware (NFC), but the core protocols or whatever should be the same such that all it would take is for the actual OS and hardware maker to enable payments. For example, I shouldn't have to wait for my bank *and* network carrier to enable payments on my phone, but rather, these guys should push a standard that Microsoft could adopt and put into WP to enable payments immediately.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not all Androids with NFC have this capability. It must be on KitKat for it to work. My LG Intuition has NFC but no go on ISIS, in fact the app won't even download.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Not all Androids with NFC have this capability. It must be on KitKat for it to work. My LG Intuition has NFC but no go on ISIS, in fact the app won't even download.
Yes that's right. In KitKat, Google used what has been described as "clever coding" to bypass carrier restrictions.

I hope that rumors about the iPhone 6 having tap to pay with NFC is correct. It will hopefully become mainstream very quickly. Hopefully WP will follow suit.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I used Isis on my G2 when it was on 4.2.2 but I couldn't use google wallet. Now that I'm on 4.4 I can use either Isis or Google wallet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss