No smartwatch? Really?

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, mostly features I want on a smartwatch are present on a smartband, which means... Fitness, fitness and fitness... If MSFT develop such thing, I will be more than happy. Problem is... No word from MSFT over smartwatches or smartbands...

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Other than Pebble, I have no interest in other smartwatches. The Android Wear watches look nice, but the poor battery life is an extreme turn off. I don't want to charge my watch every night. At least with a Pebble watch, I can charge every 5 days or so. However, there is no Pebble app for WP (official or third party), so....

Technically there is a 3rd party Pebble app for WP8 called Pebble Watch Pro. It is limited to what WP8 allows so no background capability, no phone call info, no SMS and no email alerts.

It does offer music control and calendar, twitter, network, battery weather alerts. In addition it can update the Pebble firmware and easily install lots of watch faces, apps and games on the Pebble. Also allows remote control of the WP8 FM radio. Of course you also get the date and time.

Jean Sagarese

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well I may be back to Windows depending on what comes down the road but it looks like I will return to Apple I like the larger phone and yes I sure would love the watch

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Considering Nadella scrapped McLaren, I wouldn't be surprised if he scrapped the smartwatch/band thing too. He seems to be hell-bent on getting out of the hardware business. Never mind that the underwhelming Apple Watch leaves a HUGE opportunity, he just doesn't have any vision.

spydaweb

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
My smartwatch features wishlist:
As I'm quite happy with my average fatness, I don't care much for fitness/health bands and associated devices and features. I also don't care to do much text typing from my wrist. These are the features (app-functionality) I'd actually take advantage of.

- Cross platform (Windows Phone, Android, iOS, and Windows desktop)
- Atomic clock, accurate time telling regardless of connectivity.
- Auto-time (including DST) update based on current geo-location.
- Automated time/date info based on contact list. For example, what time is it where Jane Doe on my contact list is so that I can call her at an appropriate time.
- I'd like smartglass style remote functionality where I can use my watch to control things like media playback (including basic DVD/BD software controls)
- It would be nice to control simple stuff on my XBOX ONE/ X360 from my watch. For example, switch between snapped apps without picking up a controller or smartphone and without waiting the currently too long software resume times in smartglass.
- Simple turn-by-turn directions
- Simple airline boarding pass.
- Personal business card exchange via QR code (just example).
- Tip / Regular Calculator.
- Voice controlled UI navigation in addition to standard physical non-touch based control ala Apple Watch. I actually don't think touch is necessary on such a small screen device.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Since there are several Microsoft/Watch threads running around, I'll just c/p this here:

After having the night to reflect on it, I think the hardware tech for a large feature set "watch" just isn't there yet. I really don't think Apple wanted to reveal it just yet, but felt compelled to in order to show something to the media and financial analysts and in order to not let Samsung completely define the category. This is a text book example of being a victim of their own success.

Honestly, Apple's approach in this case reminds me of Flavor-Flav more than it evokes Apple's design language.

I truly think this kills the full featured smartwatch for a while in favor of specialized, limited function bands. Speaking of which, and again after an evening of reflection, my feature list is: Music controls, Caller ID, Ignore only call control (I'll use the phone for everything else), a clock, alarm, and fitness controls (start/stop/pause/resume workout). That's it for me. A more svelte Samsung Gear Fit if you will.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
Yay, another gadget to carry a charger for and to have to stress over it's power supply. With my smartphone, tablet, fitbit, laptop, bluetooth portable mini-speaker, and dedicated e-reader (I'm a heavy reader) I think I already have enough gadgets to worry about charging. The last thing I want is another gadget to charge up. Call me old fashioned, but I'll stick to my automatic Swiss and German sports and dress watches. I'm fine with having to service a fine watch once every 6-8 years instead of having to plug a digital one up every 8-12 hours to a wall plug.

If I want updates, that's what my smartphone is for. I really don't need another gadget to duplicate the same information...especially when my phone is on me at all times. The only times a smartwatch might be useful is when I'm bathing or swimming, but who wants to be distracted by Twitter updates or emails when taking a bath or going for a nice swim? Not me! I find it refreshing to have one or two moments during the day when I'm not constantly plugged in to the world and being distracted by emails, social media, or news updates.
Exactly. No offense guys, but I don't get the hype by some of you. It seems to me you're more excited just because it's something new you don't have rather than something new that's actually good. Current smartwatches suck IMO purely because they still require your existing smartphone to work and have terrible battery life. And the majority so far are fugly. Like 1980's $10 Casio fugly.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Current smartwatches suck IMO purely because they still require your existing smartphone to work and have terrible battery life. And the majority so far are fugly. Like 1980's $10 Casio fugly.

I see that as a good thing, I don't want another device with Internet access and that has direct access to all my accounts. I'd much rather everything was pushed/pulled out from my phone.

I agree about battery life and looks.

I like what Apple has done with using the crown as an input device and some intelligent use of touch & haptic feedback (not saying it's perfect, but I like what they've done so far). I believe the way we interact with devices should be less about viewing/touching a screen and instead be a more physical experience like the way we interact with other, non-tech, things in our world. (also not saying a screen with touch input is always bad, I just think it's over used).

So I very much for a smart watch that's more watch than phone. I'm ok with it showing important notifications, in context and when they are relevant (e.g. Cortana or Google Now), and I'd like certain controls (also contextual, like playing music, start/stop the current GPS tracking, etc., even Xbox One integration as mentioned before), the navigation via vibration in the Apple watch seems usable too, and having a microphone to access Cortana would be useful in some situations (voice control still needs some work but it is a natural way for us to communicate). I don't want all my notifications showing up (e.g. Facebook event invites and every email or Tweet that comes in) and I don't need to reply to text messages, etc.

I see the benefit of a smart watch, over just using your phone, as being the fact that it's always strapped to your wrist and doesn't necessarily need to be locked (or even if you want to then this could be done through some biometrics like heart beat so it's basically always unlocked on your wrist). It also should have a long battery life (like the Pebble). Some benefits of this are being able to control music easily while on the move and getting important notifications that you might miss with your phone in you bag (I stress important, as per my comments above).

Separate to that (for me) is a fitness band of some kind, that fills a specific need and I'm ok with it not looking and working like a traditional watch.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I still cant find one I like....even the pebble looks like a smartwatch (never mind does not fully work with WP)....

I will admit, even though I don't like the look of the Apple watch itself, I admire the seamless feel between the iPhone and the watch. Never mind all the other things and sensors it has.

Getting a Android smartwatch working on Windows Phone is NOT what I am looking for. I am looking for a seemless feel like the Apple watch would give but, for Windows Phone...not a band aide to get it to work.

Unless Microsoft goes for it, builds something really cool and stylish for Windows Phone (no Apple or Android compatibility) that has a full Windows Phone experience, I will be disappointed...

For some reason, I don't actually think I will find what I want....and the only way to get it would be (YUCK) getting a iDevice and a iWatch......thanks MS...

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay so Apple just went and stuffed a full OS into a watch.

I expect Microsoft will adopt the Apple approach, but will moderate it to an extent.

Instead of producing one watch with everything and their cousin's heart loaded into it, they will probably split their wearable program into two parallel programs running on the same OS/engine:

1. A fully dedicated fitness band loaded with advanced sensors and an emphasis for relevant health/fitness information (mimic the Apple Watch in that regard) with some room for basic notifications.

2. A fully dedicated smartwatch *without* the fitness and health sensors (so as to free up room and have a thinner/lighter design), mimic the Apple Watch's approach to apps and social.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Yes but, it's been clearly said by Apple and assorted sites that the Watch will not work with out the phone. Whole OS, maybe but, with out the phone it's been said it's worthless.

I expect Microsoft will adopt the Apple approach, but will moderate it to an extent.

Instead of producing one watch with everything and their cousin's heart loaded into it, they will probably split their wearable program into two parallel programs running on the same OS/engine:

1. A fully dedicated fitness band loaded with advanced sensors and an emphasis for relevant health/fitness information (mimic the Apple Watch in that regard) with some room for basic notifications.

2. A fully dedicated smartwatch *without* the fitness and health sensors (so as to free up room and have a thinner/lighter design), mimic the Apple Watch's approach to apps and social.

Personally, I would want it all in one watch. A watch to use for everything and everything in your life. In your example, if I want to do fitness, then I would have to buy a 2nd watch if I want a every day watch. I think that would be a total fail.

A really nice option (like what apple is doing) would be changeable bands, so when your doing fitness, you change out your band for something that would work in that case.

Microsoft would need to make a watch that was as good or better than the Apple watch. Having a separate watch for fitness and one for day to day stuff would confuse and cost more in the long run. This is NOT what we need for Windows phone with only 4% of the marketplace.

If they are going to make a few different models, they should have different styles so it would apply to everyone. Everyone does the same thing but, a different look for different people. Square face, round face, etc...

Why would I get Windows Phone watch and get another one for when I run, when I can get it all in one with an Apple watch ?

Don't think it would be a smart move personally.

MikeX74

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft should focus on better explaining why people should buy their current products before introducing anything else. My two cents.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yay, another gadget to carry a charger for and to have to stress over it's power supply. With my smartphone, tablet, fitbit, laptop, bluetooth portable mini-speaker, and dedicated e-reader (I'm a heavy reader) I think I already have enough gadgets to worry about charging. The last thing I want is another gadget to charge up. Call me old fashioned, but I'll stick to my automatic Swiss and German sports and dress watches. I'm fine with having to service a fine watch once every 6-8 years instead of having to plug a digital one up every 8-12 hours to a wall plug.

If I want updates, that's what my smartphone is for. I really don't need another gadget to duplicate the same information...especially when my phone is on me at all times. The only times a smartwatch might be useful is when I'm bathing or swimming, but who wants to be distracted by Twitter updates or emails when taking a bath or going for a nice swim? Not me! I find it refreshing to have one or two moments during the day when I'm not constantly plugged in to the world and being distracted by emails, social media, or news updates.

I truly get it, but I don't think it's directed to consumers like you to buy. I don't wear accessories but I would definitely buy a Microsoft smartwatch that worked with Windows Phone. But I don't generally want to be disturbed by a barrage of notifications either so we'll see

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I truly get it, but I don't think it's directed to consumers like you to buy. I don't wear accessories but I would definitely buy a Microsoft smartwatch that worked with Windows Phone. But I don't generally want to be disturbed by a barrage of notifications either so we'll see

Personally, same here. I really did some hard thinking the other day about a smartwatch, would I use it, do I need it, etc ? I've been watching the market and seeing the different models. Nothing really is great looking so it's disappointing at this point so far.

But, would I use or need one ? I think I would use it, as now, I pull out my phone 40-50 times a day to look over notifications, never mind looking a quick things from email and Facebook/twitter, never mind all the little other things I do. I even pull out my phone to check the time (my current watch battery is dead and too lazy to change it).

Then we talk about the other sides of it, for fitness, telling heart rate and everything else...

I honestly think I would use it..and another thing I could not life without.... Just hope they make it waterproof with QI charging so I can really do anything with it...

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

I really think that for the smartwatch category to take off, it needs to start basic and simple and then expand features as the hardware and battery tech allow. I've become convinced the full featured out of the gate approach (Apple Watch) is doomed to stagnate the market with consumers frustrated over size/battery life/complexity/cost.

For *my personal* preferences, all I really want from a wearable band/watch at this point is a "remote" for the basic functions of the phone:
•Caller ID - So I don't have to remove phone from my pocket
•Ignore Call - If I want to answer it, I'll do so with the phone, Same with End Call. I don't want any call voice capabilities. Talking at your wrist is dumb.
•Music Controls: Start/Stop/Pause/Skip. Maybe Volume
•Start/Stop/Pause workout. This would need an integration with say, Bing H&F, Runtastic, etc. Along with those, a heartrate monitor.
•Oh, an actual clock display
•Undecided on Alarms and notifications....

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
"This is my problem with the whole smart watch thing- the smartphone meant we could finally get rid of that thing on our wrist and now manufacturers are trying to put it back on our wrist"
-Leo Laporte

Best ironic smart phone+watch tweet I've seen so far:
"Now the device I no longer use to tell what time it is, is tied to the device I no longer use to call people with"

ChrisP1

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Three things
1. MS is having an event on the 30th this month I believe.
2. MS has in development smartwatch and smart and tech.
3. There are smart watches that should already work with WP. Possibly the pebble and Kairos watch will as well.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think Microsoft should focus on better explaining why people should buy their current products before introducing anything else. My two cents.
If wearables are the next big wave (that mobile was at the height of PCs), then it'd be best for Microsoft to enter the new product category in full force. It can compete by offering a solution that's as powerful as Apple Watch and Android Wear, but one that's cross-platform (including not only WP, Android and iOS, but throw in BB10, Firefox and the Web too) and open to every kind of developer.

If I were MS I'd try putting Wi-Fi on its watches and connect the device to the web via APIs. Perhaps they can start with the new MSN services in weather, finance, news, etc, and gradually expand. This of course would be in addition to what's already done by Apple and Google.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I've already stated in another thread that apple (as much as I hate to admit), has turned my eye toward the Apple watch. It really has some neat little tricks.
Apple also has the right idea.....a Watch should be a companion to a phone. D'uh...no brain'er.

I don't need a phone on my wrist ( like all the garbage China made Android Watches), nor do I need a fitness band.

I need a Surface/Lumia Watch that pairs with my phone and can alert me of important text/mail/some social media, but also give me quick glances at news/weather/sports.
Sprinkle in some of the tricks that the apple does ( heart beat, basic doodle ) if I send a quick reply to a text,

Look at the old Spot Watch and bring it forward with a day of battery life,,,,because after all a quick plug in after the day is over is no hardship !!!!

Yes some touch ability is needed, but it does not have to be equal to the phone, it just needs some basic stuff with the ability to lean on the phone for GPS/Internet. It does not need a micro sd, but it should also have it's own version of Cortana that also pulls from a Windows Phone..

Lastly allow for color matching, phones to watch body......let me have a metal and cyan phone that looks good next to a metal and cyan watch.

Microsoft should know what to do by now.......if they don't I think this could start to erode an already shrinking market.

I mean this with all my heart......I hated Apple anything until a few days ago when I watched the Launch event for the Apple Watch. Apple now has my attention as they seem to have a grasp on what is going to become a bigger market. Now if my friends saw what I just said I would never be able to live it down, after all the cheep shots I took at them and their hardware.

Ok Microsoft the ball is in your court......serve up an ace or walk off into history. As I am sure both Microsoft and Google will loose people to what Tim and his boys have let loose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99