No smartwatch? Really?

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Anyone knows if there will be another event where Microsoft can announce new devices? 'Cause I consider a HUGE mistake holding off the market that new Smartwatch, which was suposed to be released in October... I'm dying to buy one and I was considering a Pebble, but I was holding my breath waiting for a MSFT unity... Should I hope to see one this year?

Marco Ciccone

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I prefer smartbands. I'm waiting for new fit bits or Atlas, a very powerful smart band for strength training... and they said they'll develop a WP app! Cannot wait...

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Are smartwatches even selling for other platforms? Last I heard they were a bit of a flop, and I don't think I've seen anyone use one in public aside from one guy talking into his watch. He looked like a bit of a dork doing so.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Are smartwatches even selling for other platforms? Last I heard they were a bit of a flop, and I don't think I've seen anyone use one in public aside from one guy talking into his watch. He looked like a bit of a dork doing so.

Exactly. I read Samsung and LG have several watches in the market, not to mention the various other companies like Pebble that have been selling them, but I have yet to see one out in the world.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft's probably waiting to see what Apple does... I'm sure putting a 'micro-smartphone on the wrist' was an idea, but like Android Wear, was deemed too geeky or limited for a mainstream market.

I suspect Microsoft (or at least Myerson's team) is trying to develop an "OS" that could fit on exceptionally small and low-powered hardware. But the main challenge on that front might be figuring out exactly what one ought to put on such a system without going overboard (like Android Wear).

The ideal smartwatch, in my opinion, would be something that's light, small and stylish that gives me the information I actually need all the time. A boarding pass or navigation data is great, but travel is still an occasional or infrequent event. On the other hand, basic notifications (e.g. do I have texts, social network updates, emails, calls, etc) are frequent events, and to display such info, how much hardware do you really need?

I suspect Microsoft's thinking on the latter perspective, i.e. pushing what is essentially an updated Pebble (and supplemented by a much more powerful fitness and health band for those who need it). But they're probably holding back to see what Apple does, so as to ensure that they're en-route with the mainstream.

But if I were Microsoft, I'd consider developing a watch that is relatively basic, i.e. show me the # of texts, calls, emails, messaging texts (WhatsApp, FB msgr, etc). Offer a $150 Lumia-esque device in different colours and focused on durability, and a $500 set of premium ones (2 for men and 2 for women) in partnership with well established watchmakers.

Last edited:

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft's probably waiting to see what Apple does... I'm sure putting a 'micro-smartphone on the wrist' was an idea, but like Android Wear, was deemed too geeky or limited for a mainstream market.

I suspect Microsoft (or at least Myerson's team) is trying to develop an "OS" that could fit on exceptionally small and low-powered hardware. But the main challenge on that front might be figuring out exactly what one ought to put on such a system without going overboard (like Android Wear).

The ideal smartwatch, in my opinion, would be something that's light, small and stylish that gives me the information I actually need all the time. A boarding pass or navigation data is great, but travel is still an occasional or infrequent event. On the other hand, basic notifications (e.g. do I have texts, social network updates, emails, calls, etc) are frequent events, and to display such info, how much hardware do you really need?

I suspect Microsoft's thinking on the latter perspective, i.e. pushing what is essentially an updated Pebble (and supplemented by a much more powerful fitness and health band for those who need it). But they're probably holding back to see what Apple does, so as to ensure that they're en-route with the mainstream.

But if I were Microsoft, I'd consider developing a watch that is relatively basic, i.e. show me the # of texts, calls, emails, messaging texts (WhatsApp, FB msgr, etc). Offer a $150 Lumia-esque device in different colours and focused on durability, and a $500 set of premium ones (2 for men and 2 for women) in partnership with well established watchmakers.

This is what I would love to see come out. At the present, I use a "throwback" watch, but would love to see this type of device from Microsoft. Throw some music controls on it and its golden. I'm not a hardcore runner, but would just love this in the right form factor.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I prefer smartbands. I'm waiting for new fit bits or Atlas, a very powerful smart band for strength training... and they said they'll develop a WP app! Cannot wait...

This is what MS is supposed to be developing, a band type device focussed on fitness. I have no idea why nothing was announced, unless they're planning another event for October. The rumours are that the band is a big deal so maybe they want to announce it separately?

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Just bcos all the other brands are bringing out smartwatches now doesnt mean Microsoft will have to bring out a smartwatch too. We can live without it. There are many other improvements left to be done. Let them polish those first. We dont want to see any more flops from Microsoft.

osallent

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Yay, another gadget to carry a charger for and to have to stress over it's power supply. With my smartphone, tablet, fitbit, laptop, bluetooth portable mini-speaker, and dedicated e-reader (I'm a heavy reader) I think I already have enough gadgets to worry about charging. The last thing I want is another gadget to charge up. Call me old fashioned, but I'll stick to my automatic Swiss and German sports and dress watches. I'm fine with having to service a fine watch once every 6-8 years instead of having to plug a digital one up every 8-12 hours to a wall plug.

If I want updates, that's what my smartphone is for. I really don't need another gadget to duplicate the same information...especially when my phone is on me at all times. The only times a smartwatch might be useful is when I'm bathing or swimming, but who wants to be distracted by Twitter updates or emails when taking a bath or going for a nice swim? Not me! I find it refreshing to have one or two moments during the day when I'm not constantly plugged in to the world and being distracted by emails, social media, or news updates.

Last edited:

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
With my smartphone, tablet, fitbit, laptop, bluetooth portable mini-speaker, and dedicated e-reader (I'm a heavy reader) I think I already have enough gadgets to worry about charging. The last thing I want is another gadget to charge up.

The rumours are that Microsoft is making a device more like a fitness band, so it would replace your fitbit rather than be another device and might also then provide better battery life than other smartwatches.

I also own an automatic watch and have no intention of replacing it entirely with a smart watch but I am excited about a better fitness band (inc. heart rate & galvanic skin response) that also integrates with my phone.

A true smart watch I could do if it was an automatic movement with an oled or e-ink screen on top that was just for notifications & maybe quick access to music controls or the currently open app (e.g. to start & stop GPS tracking). I used to have a Casio Twincept so I'm thinking similar to that but mechanical, modernised & more classically stylish.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Yay, another gadget to carry a charger for and to have to stress over it's power supply. With my smartphone, tablet, fitbit, laptop, bluetooth portable mini-speaker, and dedicated e-reader (I'm a heavy reader) I think I already have enough gadgets to worry about charging. The last thing I want is another gadget to charge up. Call me old fashioned, but I'll stick to my automatic Swiss and German sports and dress watches. I'm fine with having to service a fine watch once every 6-8 years instead of having to plug a digital one up every 8-12 hours to a wall plug.

If I want updates, that's what my smartphone is for. I really don't need another gadget to duplicate the same information...especially when my phone is on me at all times. The only times a smartwatch might be useful is when I'm bathing or swimming, but who wants to be distracted by Twitter updates or emails when taking a bath or going for a nice swim? Not me! I find it refreshing to have one or two moments during the day when I'm not constantly plugged in to the world and being distracted by emails, social media, or news updates.
What if they're all one day Qi charging capable and there's a giant Qi charging bowl you could dump it all into?

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
One concern I have about these so called "smart" watches is that they are not clever enough to tell the time accurately. If they time-sync to the phone then that is no good as my phone (which in turn syncs to my service provider) can be up to a minute out. No thanks, I will stick with my trusty old radio-controlled watch which syncs to the split second with the local atomic clock.

blinkk2

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I really hope that they will release one before the end of the year. I've been thinking of buying a smart band for a while now but since the rumors of Microsoft releasing one - I've been waiting on the purchase. I was also considering another phone, one with 1080, for development of course :)) but no flagship device.

Disappointing really.

Kahuna Cowboy

May 25, 2011
Visit site
No need for one. All have failed until the Moto 360, and it remains to be seen if that is just a flash in the pan. Also, these smart watches are basically a notifications screen, health monitor, and virtual assistant on the wrist. Until WP 8.1 Microsoft had none of these, might be better to iron out the notifications shade, health kits, and Cortana before expanding them into a wearable.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
No need for one. All have failed until the Moto 360, and it remains to be seen if that is just a flash in the pan. Also, these smart watches are basically a notifications screen, health monitor, and virtual assistant on the wrist. Until WP 8.1 Microsoft had none of these, might be better to iron out the notifications shade, health kits, and Cortana before expanding them into a wearable.
Yeah, the problem is that we don't have an idea of what a 'smart wearable' actually is! I think companies are jumping on watches because it's a familiar concept, but is that true smart wearable?

Star Trek had tricorders, com badges, etc, but those solutions didn't manifest over to real life. Instead, we got the smartphone with combines a lot of that. Smart watches are ideas from the 1950s, maybe they weren't meant to happen...

Instead, I think the 'true' smart wearable are goods that can last forever on their own (no charging) and make our lives noticeably easier. I am thinking about jewelry such as rings and basic watches that could let us engage in wireless transactions without pulling out our wallets or phones. I am thinking about implants that affect our eating and exercise behaviours.

J Ice70

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Only smart watch I've seen used made two accidental calls, one of which it had trouble hanging up on. I'll stick to my phone, it just works well for me.

anon(5340153)

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Other than Pebble, I have no interest in other smartwatches. The Android Wear watches look nice, but the poor battery life is an extreme turn off. I don't want to charge my watch every night. At least with a Pebble watch, I can charge every 5 days or so. However, there is no Pebble app for WP (official or third party), so....

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Smart watches will be a fad, much like tablets are proving to be. Why spend the money to develop something that won't be around long enough to cover the development costs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon