Its really annoying that all the flagships lack features found in the lower end models. The 1030 should be as thin as the 830/730, Have glance, micro SD card with 32-64GB (the 1020 had both), wireless charging and a Selfie FFC cam as well as the obligatory 41MP camera...updated of course with. Bigger pixels. The hump can stay. Its awesome. 5.2 inch JD screen or QHD with a massive battery and an up to date SOC optimized for max performance and minimal battery drain. Available same day like the HTC One. Lol, that makes sense and sounds like a flagship , hence it'll never happen. *sadface
    09-05-2014 02:16 AM
    Haha I usually dont talk about these, but I would much prefer if it comes with these

Windows Phone 9 or w/e it's called.
    Snapdragon 810 64 bit processor
    3 GB RAM
    32 GB Internal and MicroSD upto 128 GB
    5.2 Inch QHD
    5 MP Front Facing and 41 MP (The best of both 808 and 1020) with 4k @ 30 fps, 1080p @ 120 FPS and 720p @ 240 fps (if its possible by todays hardware)
    3200 mAh battery
    And if the 3D touch has advanced any further to the point that its really useful for regular use, that!

Most of these is already possible, so this device could very much be possible.

Obviously, this wont be for the sales but to promote Windows Phone and will be a premium device.

You can argue that WP doesn't need such hardware, but in real world, specs sell. :)
    Donny James likes this.
    09-07-2014 02:29 AM
    Unfortunately there are usually good reasons for the compromises. Thinner phones means fewer internal components, smaller batteries, camera optics limitations and so forth. Too many high-end components would drive up costs to a point where the phone is no longer able to sell in the market. Unless someone draws a half-eaten apple on it, for some reason.

The reason for the long delays before a release is debated though, and so far Nokia have claimed it's due to manufacturing limitations. Hopefully Microsoft can mobilise their full manufacturing capabilities and remove these delays. I'm not too convinced about this though since it took Microsoft 3 months from the announcement of the Surface Pro 3 to the release.

The latest rumour concerning the Lumia 1020 successor said the phone division was having issues mass producing this handset as well, so we'll see how it all fares. This isn't rare in the mobile industry, considering the Samsung Galaxy S5 had camera manufacturing issues, Sony Xperia Z2 had several component issues and the HTC One (M8) had supply chain issues.
    Last edited by Beijendorf; 09-10-2014 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Spleling
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-10-2014 06:17 AM
    32 GB Internal and MicroSD upto 128 GB
    Do we really still live in the era of 32GB? Memory is cheaper than ever, 250GB SSD costs 100 nowadays, I sure they can fit 64GB in by default and 128 for extra 50. Plus the sd slot.

5.2 Inch QHD
    See this is where we won't find an agreement. I'd much rather take a 4,5 1280*768. It's easier on the hand and it doesn't waste battery for no use. Just because they can make a QHD 5,2" display, doesn't mean they should. Yes it's pretty, but this is the only pro against: it's expensive to make, it's expensive to replace, it's expensive on the battery. Until we have batteries to support current hardware for 1 week of active use, I couldn't care less about anything higher than 720p or 1080p.
    Honestly, I think a killer device would be a normal, 4,7" 1080p, with great cpu and lot's of ram, with the best camera ever (41MP with no yellow tint, ring LED flash (dual tone) + xenon flash with less of a bulge on the back, sleek design and with off contract price 300 or less. M$ has plenty of money, if they really want WP to succeed, they need to build a fantastic device and sell it under price. It's still cheaper than advertising, and people would buy the truly affordable flagship with no compromises and the best freaking camera in the world. I know I would.

The Icon and 1520 came with all the latest specs, but the 1520 was too big for mainstream and Icon was locked to one carrier in a country where WP isn't even big. 930 came with nothing extra over Icon, and it was already aging hardware, but still top of the class, and still awesome, and people didn't care all that much. It's still too expensive.

They need to include the SD card slot in every flagship, and put glance in every phone as well, and make it better and sell that. Free navigation is also a big selling point, but they barely mention it. M$ only really promotes WP for
    - Office (which is garbage, just like any other mobile office apps)
    - OneDrive, which is great, but doesn't get you anything extra with WP, you get 15GB no matter which phone you own, they could AT LEAST give away extra storage for WP users
    - Skype, which is garbage (slow, unresponsive, unable to send/recieve files, loading....., and is available on every other smartphone), again, they could give you free 100 minutes with WP, but no, you only get a worse skype experience than on android
    - Cortana, which is currently useful in a small bunch of countries, and useless in the rest of the world. It can't remember that I want my weather in celsius and my distances in kilometers, it does shuffle music well at least.

They think people will run to their stores to buy a phone that does nothing more than their existing phones.

They should focus more on free, offline world navigation (similar apps cost 30-50 in app stores), security of the phone (unhackable so far, no malware whatsoever, secure data for company use etc)

They should also close the gap completely when it comes to certain features that just work on other platforms, and do it in one update. iOS has big enough user base to be able to release marginal updates to iOS (iOS 7 was just a facelift etc), but even they opened up thousands of new APIs for developers. Okay, WP devs can integrate Cortana with their apps, I guess that's pretty cool.

I like WP, it's still my OS of choice, but M$ need to step up the game and offer something that was never seen before, and stop the whole office-skype-onedrive mantra, because those apps suck on WP more than on any other platform.

Two examples I've encountered so far that would make WP unsuitable for some work enviroments: SIP calling doesn't work unless you specifically tweak your server for the app you want to use (push notifications), VPN only works with IKEv2 (we use OVPN), and clicking 'Download an SSL VPN app from the store' does nothing.
    They should also fix the notifications in the action center so it actually opens the notification that you click on. Now clicking a notification only opens the app, and you have to figure out yourself where that notification came from.

There's a lot of room for improvements to WP, and M$ needs to step up the game.
    Beijendorf and n7slc like this.
    09-10-2014 08:03 AM
    Definitely not. The 10xx series has always been marketed as "Camera flagship". The "all your powers combined phone" like what you described must be the 15xx. Because it has to have the latest hardware, best batteries, best screen, excellent to best camera, best features and be a flagship. I'm afraid that the phone that is currently having these qualities is the 1520. At the time it came out, it was a real beast. Now, even with a year passed, it still stands as one of the best, if not the best WP available.
    10-07-2014 01:16 AM
    Loc Ngo, 1520 has all those features cause Microsoft made it happen with wp8 gdr3. I am sure I 1020 were to be released after gdr3, it would have been a 5 inch flagship.
    10-10-2014 01:12 PM