Microsoft bringing Bing suite of apps to Android and iOS

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm so surprised by this news! It means the end of WP! How could they do this! Why MS??? WHY!!!?!?!?!?!

In other news, MS calls itself a software company and has decided that Bing really was a dumb name...

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Where's the big deal? That Google doesn't bring any of their services over to WP doesn't mean Microsoft has to act the very same ignorant way. I couldn't care less if apps I use on WP are exclusive or not. I'm using WP because I like it best from all available mobile OSes and not because I feel somewhat superior when I have apps that aren't available for other platforms. Even though Microsoft now even produces hardware doesn't change a thing about the fact that their main focus still is software. And if they want users to take advantage of their large portfolio of services, they need to make them broadly available.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I get that Microsoft is a software company, and I don't think that it indicates the end of Windows Phone. But it'd be good to have something to differentiate us from competing platforms when my friends ask "so why do you own a Lumia?".

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
In other news, MS calls itself a software company and has decided that Bing really was a dumb name...

lol, completely agree, but you forgot one important part:

Going to other platforms is good. It's only a problem if MS' apps on other platforms are better than on WP.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I get that Microsoft is a software company, and I don't think that it indicates the end of Windows Phone. But it'd be good to have something to differentiate us from competing platforms when my friends ask "so why do you own a Lumia?".

There's a very simple answer to questions like that:

"Because I like the build quality, the stunning camera, the UI, especially the consistency throughout the entire OS and apps and furthermore I rather be an individual that doesn't follow the flock."

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well, the simple reasons should be 1 - you like the OS and 2 - you like the hardware. Everything else is dressing.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I also think it's great that MS should bring services and apps to other platforms.

The thing I'm really struggling with though is the MSN branding. Microsoft put a lot of effort into pushing the "Bing" thing and tied apps to that high-visibility trademark. And now they're "MSN". To my mind, "MSN" is on the "old" pile with Yahoo.com, Aol.com and AskJeeves (yes I know they're still current, but it's not the same thing for me - Aol fell out out my life at the same time as CompuServe). Microsoft spent quite some effort in transitioning people away from MSN messenger and on to Skype.

And now MSN is suddenly alive again....

anon(5340153)

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
As long as the WP apps will be treated as the same as (or better than) the Android/iOS apps, I am ok. However, I am not really optimistic of that.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft brings all its apps to Android and iOS. Google should learn something from them and stop being selfish !

MS would benefit from this in one way but on the other hand since its apps loose exclusiveness to Windows Phone, people might not go in for WP when they have everything in one place on Android.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft brings all its apps to Android and iOS. Google should learn something from them and stop being selfish !

MS would benefit from this in one way but on the other hand since its apps loose exclusiveness to Windows Phone, people might not go in for WP when they have everything in one place on Android.

Maybe this is the start of a better relationship between Google and MS... then again, maybe not. :p

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. Maybe we'll all be surprised one decade, I mean day...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It seems like this decision has more to do with consistency and worldwide branding than Microsoft's dislike for the Bing name. There's currently a preview for the new MSN home page. IMO, it looks quite nice. It also does a much better job of integrating Microsoft's core Bing services. You can even customize the page. It's also Microsoft's main web portal and the default home page on internet explorer. I could see why Microsoft wouldn't want to confuse people by directing them to MSN to access Bing Finance - but not to go to Bing for Bing Finance - because Bing Finance is on MSN but not on Bing... It's much easier to have one consistent brand name. Plus, it helps in parts of the world where the Bing brand isn't as trusted and used. People that use MSN Finance are likely to stay with that brand (even if they don't realize it's still powered by Bing)

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Or if you have WP you benefit from switching to Android and not lose any of services that you have become accustomed to along with the benefit of having more available apps. It's a tough situation for Microsoft.

Last edited:

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
It seems like this decision has more to do with consistency and worldwide branding than Microsoft's dislike for the Bing name. There's currently a preview for the new MSN home page. IMO, it looks quite nice. It also does a much better job of integrating Microsoft's core Bing services. You can even customize the page. It's also Microsoft's main web portal and the default home page on internet explorer. I could see why Microsoft wouldn't want to confuse people by directing them to MSN to access Bing Finance - but not to go to Bing for Bing Finance - because Bing Finance is on MSN but not on Bing... It's much easier to have one consistent brand name. Plus, it helps in parts of the world where the Bing brand isn't as trusted and used. People that use MSN Finance are likely to stay with that brand (even if they don't realize it's still powered by Bing)

It's looks the same as the old page but shades of grey and fewer colors. Whoever came up with this used should have been part of the 18,000 recently downsized.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft services must be allowed to roam on other platforms. It doesn't at all spell the end of WP. If you think MS spent billions for Nokia without a serious mission in mind, you are being a little short sighted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium