Windows Watch? PLEASE DON'T FAIL US, MICROSOFT!

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm so excited about these smart-wearable right now!

Apple - Apple Watch

LOOK AT ALL THESE STAINLESS STEEL STRAPS AND THE CROWN!!!!

The damn CROWN! Why there's nobody thought about it! We always using the crown to config a mechanical watch!!!

No, I don't have any plan buy an apple watch! I excited just because there is a real watch that has smart features and really existing! It's a real watch! Not a smartphone that are scaled to become a watch! Android smart watchs are never make me excited like this, including Moto360 (too big for me). Maybe it's because they're all focus on hardware and android stuff. I don't want to buy a smartwatch to play games or typing document, so why should I care about those hardware? Seriously!

Now i'm waiting to see what will Microsoft doing with their wearable. Can't wait to see some real watch with Lumia/Surface/HTC metal design including Cortana features!!! One more (and hope it's not the last) thing to bet on Microsoft beside Windows 9!

Is there anyone got excited about Windows(?) Watch like me now?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, they look terrible. Even if I liked them I'd only wear them if I was a woman, as they all look very feminine, but I admit that is completely subjective.

Anyway, if I wanted a luxury watch, I'd get one that actually is a luxury watch. To me this just seems to say: "I want a luxury watch but can't afford a real one":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLGQgJctb60

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The apple watch disappointed, an ugly device with a complex UI and a high price. Microsoft should wait until q4 2015.

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't think any of them are worth it until the battery tech advances. Really couldn't be bothered to charge one every night. Out of interest my solar powered watch I bought about 14 years ago is still going strong without any battery change.

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Not the coolest looking, but claims to work with Windows Phone as well iPhone and Android - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/secretlabs/agent-the-worlds-smartest-watch

No Cortana. :(

Seriously, they look terrible. Even if I liked them I'd only wear them if I was a woman, as they all look very feminine, but I admit that is completely subjective.

Anyway, if I wanted a luxury watch, I'd get one that actually is a luxury watch. To me this just seems to say: "I want a luxury watch but can't afford a real one":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLGQgJctb60

Yeah, I just excited because it has some elements of a real watch and focus on fashion stuff.
How about luxury hybrid watch? https://kairoswatches.com/ (too big though)

I don't think any of them are worth it until the battery tech advances. Really couldn't be bothered to charge one every night. Out of interest my solar powered watch I bought about 14 years ago is still going strong without any battery change.

I can take my watch off before go to sleep. So if there is a smartwatch that has the battery which is good enough for 3 days or up and has the power saved mode, it's not really a problem (I think).

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
After having the night to reflect on it, I think the hardware tech for a large feature set "watch" just isn't there yet. I really don't think Apple wanted to reveal it just yet, but felt compelled to in order to show something to the media and financial analysts and in order to not let Samsung completely define the category. This is a text book example of being a victim of their own success.

Honestly, Apple's approach in this case reminds me of Flavor-Flav more than it evokes Apple's design language.

I truly think this kills the full featured smartwatch for a while in favor of specialized, limited function bands. Speaking of which, and again after an evening of reflection, my feature list is: Music controls, Caller ID, Ignore only call control (I'll use the phone for everything else), a clock, alarm, and fitness controls (start/stop/pause/resume workout). That's it for me. A more svelte Samsung Gear Fit if you will.

Last edited:

philhachey

Banned
Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I think apple missed an opportunity to add wireless charging to the iPhone and make a dock that holds both... I mean that would not be innovative, but imagine how apple fans would react to something like that.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, the Apple watch is cool, I like it.... but, want something for Windows Phone that is seamless with cortana and everything else WP can do, not a Android Watch with a driver to work with WP....

Just like everything else with Windows Phone....wait, and wait, and wait for what you really want (Cyan for the ICON, and about 20 apps, still waiting)

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Cf
I think apple missed an opportunity to add wireless charging to the iPhone and make a dock that holds both... I mean that would not be innovative, but imagine how apple fans would react to something like that.

That... Would be kind of neat, no matter who the maker is - Apple, Samsung or Microsoft / Nokia.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I am less exited about the Apple Watch than I am about the opportunity this announcement means for MSFT if, yes IF, they could benefit from it.

I believe Apple got something fundamentally wrong with their watch.
The watch should be an extension to your phone and provide convenience. The Apple watch is packed with stuff nobody needs. Who would want to watch pictures on that tiny screen? Who would want to be nudged by someone via a watch? (I personally think that is creepy). Who would want to draw doodles on the watch (looks really childish to me)?
While they got some things right, I think the amount of features they tried to load on that thing resulted in battery life they didn't even want to mention.

Availability in 2015 leaves a nice window of opportunity though, because Apple did one thing: I took the smart watch from nerd to mainstream. Pretty much everyone I know did not have a last clue about what is out there on smart watches before the announcement and now they all talk about it.

Microsoft could rule the market if they would have a watch ready centered around Cortana with notification features, fitness tracker and basic navigation and music control. That is all it needs. And if it would work on all major platforms (including older iPhone models) AND be in stores in time for the holiday shopping business, priced at least 100 dollars below the Apple Watch, I bet they would be able to capture a nice big junk of the market before Apple could even get their watch out there.

Now all that would be pretty cool for Microsoft.

Unfortunately, I am not too confident that any of that will actually happen. If it did though, it would allow Microsoft to define the market while having let Apple do the groundwork.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe that my interest has been woken up by apple watch, and I am so invested into the Microsoft ecosystem. I was for real blown away by the new interesting way of adding to instant messaging, adding a heart beat or little doodles.

Microsoft has now seen what Apple is focused on, so the gauntlet has been thrown.

I have wanted a Smart Watch for a long time now, going back to the very first Microsoft Spot Watch. I am glad I did not buy back then, as with Tablet, Microsoft was out of the gate far to early.

However now Microsoft had better take a good hard look at direction, as this new watch could pull away even some of the most loyal Windows Phone users. If I am an example of what can happen.....apple has turned my eyes. As much as I hate to say it, it is true.

I don't care what name any future watch from Microsoft comes out under ( Surface or Lumia), but I want a Smart Watch and I am going to pull the trigger soon. I hope Microsoft does the right thing and release something to pair with my Lumia phone that will turn my eyes back to Microsoft.

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
The apple watch disappointed, an ugly device with a complex UI and a high price. Microsoft should wait until q4 2015.
One word to describe it...UGLY!
the hype on apple watch.. lol the watch is **** ugly.

Well, I heard this a lot. But Apple still success to selling their product. Don't say anything like people buying apple product are "iSheep" because the real "sheep" are WP fan. The only people who really want to buy a product using an OS that even their company don't even care to marketing.

Now i'm losing my hope about some "windows watch"... dammit!

Last edited:

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, I heard this a lot. But Apple still success to selling their product. Don't say anything like people buying apple product are "iSheep" because the real "sheep" are WP fan. The only people who really want to buy a product using an OS that even their company don't even care to marketing.

Now i'm losing my hope about some "windows watch"... dammit!

I like Apple, but that watch is ugly and it didn't add much over the failed Android watches already in the market. It was a disappointment.

People won't pay $250 - $350 for a device that has to be charged everyday and add so little value. The cost in money and time is too high for so little.

Microsoft should concentrate their efforts on a fitness band.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I like Apple, but that watch is ugly and it didn't add much over the failed Android watches already in the market. It was a disappointment.
People won't pay $250 - $350 for a device that has to be charged everyday and add so little value. The cost in money and time is too high for so little.
Microsoft should concentrate their efforts on a fitness band.

Most here at Windows Phone Central are not Apples Market, so in truth what is said here matters not.

Apple lovers for the most part are in love with the new Watch. Stephen Fry, who has been an Apple Fan over 30 years, is over the Moon for it.

Just a few errors in your thinking....... People won't pay $250-$300 for a device that needs to be charged each day and adds little value.........ummmmm sorry but please refer to Google Glass $1500 for Explorer Edition and they had to limit who they sold to, and the line was huge.

I bought my Nokia Lumia 1020 outright + paid for unlock.....well over $700 all in.

Both require daily charge. This is no great hardship. People will just add a plug next to the bed side and plug in their phone and Apple Watch, which will add maybe 2 seconds to their daily things to do.....

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site

Oh god don't talk about the UI, I don't know who's idea was it to have a UI that is 5 pixels wide for icons but come on, not everyone has feminine fingers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12