Windows Watch? PLEASE DON'T FAIL US, MICROSOFT!

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Because a crown on a touchscreen watch is an idiotic idea?

You forgot smartwatch only have 1 inch touchscreen, right? You have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Quick adjust volume when playing music without open the watch screen.
  • Zoom in/out on map by scrolling the crown instead putting your 2 finger on the watch screen.
  • Scrolling contact list and still can read the screen.
  • bla bla...
In short, the crown help you doing something on your watch without being half covered by your finger.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In short, Apple takes the click-wheel off the iPod and puts it onto the side of the watch...

I'm not engaged at all with this smartwatch fad - I wouldn't really like the impression of me it would give other people, and I'm not happy with the idea of the constant connection to information. If I had a smartwatch, I'd be looking at it all the time waiting for it to do something.

It's all **** Tracey's fault...

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
What sucks is that right now, watches are a giant black hole. Samsung and LG have built several watches that are basically terrible. Now Apple released a watch that overall fails to be interesting, and apparently suffers from all of the downsides of the other watches, terrible battery life, and at best, it's a companion device to your phone, which isn't out of reach, it's already in your pocket!

Microsoft would do well to avoid this black hole of a product for the time being, but the problem is, that one day, technology will allow these smart watches to not suck. I don't think it will be for a few years. Processors and battery capacity isn't there, but eventually, someone will release one that isn't garbage. And if Microsoft hasn't been building a loser product like Apple and Samsung all along, they'll be accused of being behind as always. It is an unfortunate catch-22.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
See, the smartwatch thing is STILL a new tech. Companies are making them and trying to do they best they can with current tech. There are limits on what they can do in a device that is that small. When you talk about motherboard, CPU, ram, sensors, battery all in side a little watch, something has to give and right now it's battery and over all design.

Apple knew they could not fit, iOS in a watch nor that it would work well. I think it's a decent design as a OS for a watch(a lot better than I have seen in some "Android wear" devices), and with proper application support, it could really be a awesome item. As we have learned, a phone OS is great but, if you don't have the applications to extend it, it then starts to show it's limits.

There is only rumor of Microsoft designing something for this. I can honestly say that I have not seen anything that truly shows a Microsoft watch besides some 3rd party concepts.

The big questions are, Is Microsoft actually working on something ? If they are, are they going for compatibly for other devices(iOS/Android) or something designed JUST for Windows Phone ? Or will this be a stand alone device ?

If Microsoft makes something JUST for Windows Phone, with a custom OS that Only works with Windows Phone, then AWESOME. If they design something for compatibility between iOS and Android, then I think it will be just like the other devices, with some driver to make it work with WP.

Sad to say, the money will drive them, so they MIGHT release something that is compatible across the board and in that case, it could be a fail.

I really hope they come up with a watch designed just for Windows Phone....and dedicate it to Windows Phone.

and yea, the Apple watch got me excited for a smartwatch...but, still not sure they are ready for prime time (1 day battery life)

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I really hope they come up with a watch designed just for Windows Phone....and dedicate it to Windows Phone.

I think this would be a mistake. A microsoft watch is not going to push sales of Windows phones at all I feel and to make a watch that is dedicated to Windows phone will ensure it dies an early death. That is just my opinion though.

uberlaff

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
So... I've been thinking about this. I'm not sure Microsoft should make a "watch" themselves but should team up with Fossil, Nixon, Omega, etc. (a bunch of watch makers) to make a cross platform watch.

I'm sure those guys to want to limit themselves to Android Wear and also want to work with iPhones. This is the perfect opportunity for them to get ahead of Google using Google's exact strategy, openness.

MS can still make a watch, they can focus it to do what they want it to do. But if they want to "win", they should get the big watch player involved and build a platform so they can participate in this land-grab.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think this would be a mistake. A microsoft watch is not going to push sales of Windows phones at all I feel and to make a watch that is dedicated to Windows phone will ensure it dies an early death. That is just my opinion though.

There is good and bad to this. If you make something across the board, then you lose your primary function, in this case, using it to fully extend Windows Phone. As for Android or iOS watches....take a look at ANY smartwatch, they will work with both OS's with full features (depending on the model).

With Windows Phone it's a joke, not ONE watch fully works with WIndows phone....out of the dozens of models out there now, Nothing. Really ? How long has it been and there is still -0- ?????

So, Windows Phone needs a dedicated watch, something that blows the top off the other models out there, just like apple and Andoid do...

It might not make MS rich but, it will show WP users that it they take it seriously....because every time I think they are, they do something to screw it up some how...

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'd dig it. I've seen the Gear 2 and I'd like all those features on a WP watch. It seems just about right to me, design, size....everything. Maybe a more robust Fitness thingy, but other than that it's aight.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I think they are all ugly and wouldn't be caught wearing something so big and bulky.

My coworker has one and it's as big as a brick on his arm. Not my style at all.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Smart watches are still trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. They don't do anything that my far more capable phone can't already do. Sure, it may be nice to respond to a text with voice commands but voice-to-text messes up a lot. It doesn't even matter what platform you're on. There's still a niche there though. For example, GPS while biking, exercise tracking... checking the time??? IMO, what smart watches really need is a SIM card that links with your smartphone. For example, you're at work but you left your phone at home. All your messages could still be pushed to your smart watch. Then you could leave your phone at home without leaving your phone at home. I think that would open up a whole new door of possibilities.

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Smart watches are still trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Because they are not trying to solve any problem.
It just a product line that help people lives easier or more comfortable or just for fun.

You don't need a shoes with wheels, right? But a lot of people still want it. :)

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Smart watches are still trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. They don't do anything that my far more capable phone can't already do. Sure, it may be nice to respond to a text with voice commands but voice-to-text messes up a lot. It doesn't even matter what platform you're on. There's still a niche there though. For example, GPS while biking, exercise tracking... checking the time??? IMO, what smart watches really need is a SIM card that links with your smartphone. For example, you're at work but you left your phone at home. All your messages could still be pushed to your smart watch. Then you could leave your phone at home without leaving your phone at home. I think that would open up a whole new door of possibilities.

You can have that now.....just get a cheaply made China Android Smart Watch.
More stuff..more space required, also bigger battery required, both add bulk.

The concept is to have a flow, to follow how things are an extension of some thing. A watch only needs to be an extension of the phone, much like a finger is an extension of the hand.
You start adding things into the watch and your eating up power. Right now people are outright enraged if you have to charge something at the end of each day. Something most do now with a phone any way.

You need to off load the grunt work to a phone, allow the Phone to become the watches brain. The watch should have only a set number of functions. Mainly Gather readings from your body and display information the phone provides to it. Simple interactions with SMS/Email

Yes add in Cortana, but it does not have to be full load...again have the guts of Cortana in the Phone, with base set of functions in the watch.

The Watch by itself should only act as a Watch, with what ever few functions it needs to do so. Time Keeping Day Date Month stop watch.

Now pair to a Phone and more comes into play...Weather/News Buzz Words/Sports Scores or any number of handy items you set on the phone to send to the watch. SMS/Email Alerts, Who's calling display and alert ( I don't think it really needs to handle the call, but maybe a feature someone wants). Media Play controls only ( does not need to show video and blast audio).

The Watch should be the Phones second screen almost, but does not need Super Hyper Mega Turbo Retna display.....no need to watch Netflix on a watch. However not so low res as to be like the old Pocket PC pixil popping days.

One last thing........Have you taken total leave of your mind???????????? Leave my Phone at home?????????? I'd be a bloody nervous wreck and never get any work done.
That is like telling a crack junkie "Here is all the crack you could want.......just no pipe".

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
So... I've been thinking about this. I'm not sure Microsoft should make a "watch" themselves but should team up with Fossil, Nixon, Omega, etc. (a bunch of watch makers) to make a cross platform watch.

I'm sure those guys to want to limit themselves to Android Wear and also want to work with iPhones. This is the perfect opportunity for them to get ahead of Google using Google's exact strategy, openness.

MS can still make a watch, they can focus it to do what they want it to do. But if they want to "win", they should get the big watch player involved and build a platform so they can participate in this land-grab.

If MS does go into wearables, they should definitely partner with a consumer oriented company. But the high fashion market probably isn't where they should be. Remember the original Microsoft watch?

Go outside and see who is actually wearing high tech wearables right now - it's the sports/fitness enthusiasts. There is Garmin at the high end with devices with integrated heart rate monitors, relatively accurate mileage counts using gps tracking with specialized workout software. At the low end there is Fitbit and Jawbone selling their electronic pedometers and simple but often effective goal setting fitness software. This is where Apple's entry could make a noticeable impact if their watch can take the daily physical pounding and if their software is any good. It's too bad the Bing Health app in Windows Phone cannot access the data from the various fitness devices but probably there isn't much incentive given Fitbit and Jawbone (soon on Windows Phone according to WPCentral) have their own apps.

Wall-SWE

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
You forgot smartwatch only have 1 inch touchscreen, right? You have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Quick adjust volume when playing music without open the watch screen.
  • Zoom in/out on map by scrolling the crown instead putting your 2 finger on the watch screen.
  • Scrolling contact list and still can read the screen.
  • bla bla...
In short, the crown help you doing something on your watch without being half covered by your finger.

The crown is stupid. Zoom, how about double touch the screen? If you zoom with the crown you will still need to pan with you fingers to where you want. Adjust volume drag your finger up or down on the screen? Scrolling is a UI question.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss