"moving the needle"

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I know lots of people are impressed by "Cortana vs Siri" ads, Surface ads or XBox One ads. But I feel like nothing MS does "moves the needle" when it comes to actual market share.

How to get Windows Phone to 10%?
How to get XBox One to 50%?
How to get Surface to 10%?

If were Satya Nadella I'd be asking these hard questions of my senior management.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
funny thing, the commentators and stuff referred to the Surface as an iPad.
something I remember seeing in an article.

they need a bigger, better marketing strategy. I see nothing, many people don't even know Windows Phone exists or are misinformed.

TV ads, web ads, newspaper! something! I see zip! pretty sure I may have seen more HP Veer ads.

but of course, thats just me, they might be doing better elsewhere, like on their website.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about the SP3 not "moving the needle"....the ads maybe not, but real world use, with the docking station - its not just moving the needle, its crushing the gauge! We piloted 3 SP3's with docking stations and now I have to beat people off with a stick that want that setup. Seriously. We have people/groups taking their own initiative and purposefully rethinking their workflow - thinking beyond the "this is how we've always done it," mindset. The easiest scenario is a desktop/iPad replacement for mobility in the immediate working area, but we've got a reimagining going on top to bottom with all parties engaged because of these things. In 25 years of IT, I haven't seen this much interest so quickly. Not even compared with the iPhone, and not with the iPad. Sure the iPad had a hand in priming that thought process, but the device/OS was too limited, and Apple seems reluctant to move it beyond a content consumption device.

Last edited:

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't have numbers, but I believe sales of the SP3 are quite good.

The hybrid devices are the natural path for Microsoft to enter in the mobile market. They need more OEMs building affordable 2 in 1 devices like the Asus T-1000. Many core-m devices were announced in Berlin last week, but not many Bay Trail convertibles.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
So, I work for a car dealership group. We represent Ford, Chrysler, and GM at various locations. If you have taken your vehicle to service at a dealership recently, you have probably noticed that they are likely using a tablet when the service advisor greets you. All the manufacturers have, or are developing walk-around courtesy inspection programs that are tablet based. Ford and Chrysler's happen to be web apps that work across platforms, while GM's is IOS based for an iPad only. Which is just bizarre, as *nothing* else in GM land works on anything but IE.

Anyway, this morning, one of my GM service managers asked me if they could get some of those Surfaces that the Ford and Chrysler guys are able to use, not only for just their inspection apps, but also everything else. After I told him the "everything else" would work but he would still need the iPads for the inspection app, his response: "Well, that really sucks."

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
The problem is ever since the late 90's when Microsoft was accused of being a monopoly which it was being it's name has been tarnished. Xbox, Zune, and even Kin never really prominently displayed the Microsoft name. IOS and Android have higher market share because Steve Ballmer (a business guy not a computer guy) dropped the ball and made it worse because Microsoft continually was late to the party. I myself only really liked Xbox. I never really had an interest in Microsoft till the end of Ballmers rein. I was a Google freak at one point. But when I realized of things like privacy issues and Android fragmentation. I moved to Microsoft. But don't get me wrong I still felt uncomfortable about them. But I have noticed changes happening to help Microsoft after Satya Nadella took over. I actually think Satya is trying to remove the tarnish from Microsoft's name. I mean I think Microsoft pushes hard for people to buy their stuff but it is still having a hard time. Google is part of that open source anti-Microsoft movement that has tried to shut them down. Satya is trying to get Microsoft to embrace open source. That might help Microsoft.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Its been 4 years almost (launched October 21, 2010) and WP is basically still nowhere. If it isnt time to fire those in charge I dont know what else needs to happen. Does anyone think they would still have a job after screwing up for 4 years? Get someone in there who has a passion for the platform and maybe the needle will move, till then WP will stay where it is.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Oh the needle is definitely moving. Its just that everyone else also has a needle and those are moving at the same pace or faster......

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Its been 4 years almost (launched October 21, 2010) and WP is basically still nowhere. If it isnt time to fire those in charge I dont know what else needs to happen. Does anyone think they would still have a job after screwing up for 4 years? Get someone in there who has a passion for the platform and maybe the needle will move, till then WP will stay where it is.

You really need to take a step back in a time machine to really see how far Windows Phone has come in that time.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

I agree with you on this. The issues require firing more than those left over from the Nokia acquisition though. They have too many department heads and too much infighting going on.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss