View Poll Results: Which Windows name do you perfer?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows 9

6 35.29%
  • Windows

8 47.06%
  • Windows One

4 23.53%
  • Other (Please specific)

1 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Microsoft i going to drop "Phone" from "Windows Phone", changing "Windows 9" to "Windows", remove "Nokia" brand from the phone (they brought Nokia so that MAY do this as long as they didn't break the rules), just to let new customer to have new experience from those bad experience they have been. (like virus on Windows 98, buggy 2000, weird vista, and currently "not so desktop friendly and easy access" Windows 8, but repacked in Windows 8.1)

If you have a choice to choose what windows name it should be, which one will you choose?
    (Please comment for adding more name to pool)

I will choose Windows One, because Microsoft has lots of name using One (eg: OneDrive, XBox One, OneNote, currently most popular/well-known name for Microsoft branding name )
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-12-2014 08:05 AM
    I would not choose One because its used way too much IMO. and its not the best decision IMO because we also happen to have Windows 1.0.

windows1.01b.gif

and wow so many One's

HTC One
    Xbox One
    OneDrive
    OnePlus One
    Ubuntu One
    OneNote

Its practically the new "i".

EDIT: OK, I literally close this tab and go to facebook and I see an ad for "OneClass"
    Last edited by xandros9; 09-12-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    aximtreo and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-12-2014 08:15 AM
    ...and wow so many One's: HTC One, Xbox One, OneDrive, OnePlus One, Ubuntu One, OneNote...
    you got a point, One is frequently used and other company might sue Microsoft, and OneDrive will gonna change a name after that...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-12-2014 08:59 AM
    To reset those names is an obvious and necessary step in Microsoft's transformation plans, and I think as sooner as better, in order to clarify Microsoft branding and the software's names and product's names related to that Brand. The change of Nokia as the name for handsets has no discussion as it was part of the deal, because Microsoft just acquired device's branch, not the entire Company which is still working in other projects such as HERE Maps. The change of those names will clear the perception of Microsoft's name for users and will reinforce their confidence in the Company. What I don't think as necessary is the idea to change "Intrenet Explorer" as Microsoft's Browser name by the same reason exposed above. This name is part of a global perception; is a name already present in everybody's mind. Maybe could be a good change to renew the logo of this browser to make it more attractive , and in a way magnetic for people to have it on their screens.

Sent from my Lumia 505 using Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-13-2014 12:31 PM
    Where you would use the word "ONE" would be in an ad campaign for the New Windows.

Show a guy making his way on a daily trip in the city, where he swipes his Windows Phone, then swipes his Surface, gets to work and swipes on his All in one so a Window goes up for a Presentation. Then show a Busy Mom swipe her phone, and Surface that sends pictures of the kids to one drive, so Grand Dad can download them and put them on his Surface and Windows Phone to share them on the HD TV with Grand Ma.

Then have the whole Family Gather at the end and a voice say we are all "ONE" Windows Family.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-13-2014 03:38 PM
    I like "Windows Wonder."
    Didn't see "Windows Wonder" as a choice...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-13-2014 04:28 PM
    I picked Windows One, but I really don't think any of the brand names are really tarnished other than: Windows 8/8.1, Vista and Internet Explorer.

Note: I see you have a Firefox avatar. I also use Firefox as my default desktop browser--I started using Firefox when IE6/7 were terrible--now I still use Firefox since it is also available for Linux and syncs my bookmarks in Windows and Linux.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk
    Guytronic likes this.
    09-13-2014 04:37 PM
    I picked Windows but I like MICROSOFT the best.
    09-13-2014 04:59 PM
    Microsoft should come up with Nokosoft or Microkia😁 jk, lol
    Guytronic and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-13-2014 10:30 PM
    Just windows? So windows for pc, window for phone, windows for tablet?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-13-2014 11:35 PM
    If they make their OS subscription-based with frequent improvements and updates following consumer demands, simply naming it "Windows" is great.
    If they stick to their current tactic of releasing a new major Windows version every 2 years which you buy once, naming it Windows 9 would make sense.

Then there's the problem of cross-compatibility. If there's a complete cross-compatibility between PC-Tablet-Phone, then simply calling it "Windows" or "Windows 9" is perfect. If there's no cross-compatibility, I'd argue they'd need a brand difference to ensure people can tell the difference between the different versions. With "Windows RT", consumers have been shown not to have a clue about the difference anyway, so it likely wouldn't matter.

So in short:

Subscription-based OS: Windows
    Legacy release: Windows 9
    09-14-2014 11:51 AM
    wait a second... Nokia Lumia 930 slogan is "Windows on your Phone", now Microsoft changing Windows Phone to Windows..... which means.... Microsoft is going to let full Windows on your Phone literally? I hope we can upgrade to there then...
    09-17-2014 06:26 AM
    Lots of rebrands just gets rid of excess names and restart with the single name. Windows isn't a tarnished brand either. It's been around forever and most people recognize XP and 7 as the best ones. Internet explorer is probably just there at this point in a neutral position after being garbage during its beginnings. I would suggest they rename as just Windows (advertise it as "the new windows") And for tablets and phone, Windows touch or windows lite. The name should at least tell you its somewhat different than the full thing, without making it confusing or unclear.
    09-17-2014 05:32 PM
    Windows for PC or Windows for Lumia etc.
    09-17-2014 05:37 PM
    In an unpopular move to copy Apple, I vouch for mOS(for mobiles and tablets) and OS M(for full windows). Where M(m) stands for Microsoft/Mobile/Metro/Modern/Merge yada yada. And call it revolutionary.
    09-17-2014 07:39 PM
    The updates will be frequent so Windows and a build number should be fine.

For the hardware they need to capitalize on the Surface brand. The Surface Pro 3 is everywhere. The Surface phone line is a natural extension of the software and hardware design seen on the computer.
    09-17-2014 08:12 PM
    In an unpopular move to copy Apple, I vouch for mOS(for mobiles and tablets) and OS M(for full windows). Where M(m) stands for Microsoft/Mobile/Metro/Modern/Merge yada yada. And call it revolutionary.
    no, apple will sue Microsoft for copying their product name, how it "look and feel" like apple, then more apple *** will bash Microsoft
    09-18-2014 07:24 AM
    Whats interesting to me in my late 20's, the name Nokia doesn't have any negative connotation. Microsoft does, warranted or not... and also, Microsoft to me, implies software, Windows software, not hardware and honestly, in the real world conversations with family and friends Microsoft has one customer: Cheap or business use.

This needs to change for any gains to be had.
    Beijendorf likes this.
    09-18-2014 07:54 AM