Serious TechCrunch hatred against Microsoft on Minecraft acquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastBattle

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Came across this post on TechCrunch by Josh Constine (@joshconstine).

This guy's smoking weed? :amaze:
I've been to one of the Hackaton in my country and Josh Constine was one of the judges, and yes. This post simply validates his behavior. He hates Windows to the core, to the point where he simply have everything to complain about my work because the app I wrote for is Windows Phone.

I've just unsubscribed TechCrunch from my reading list.

Hey Microsoft, Acquiring A Hit Game Like Minecraft Is Stupid
Hey Microsoft, Acquiring A Hit Game Like Minecraft Is Stupid | TechCrunch

players will eventually move on from Minecraft, and I doubt anyone is going to buy a dopey Windows Phone just to play a slightly different version of the pixelated sandbox game.

And I’m sorry, Microsoft, but no one is going to ditch all their other apps and Androids or iPhones for a laughable Windows Phone just to play some special version of Minecraft

You know what is cool? Minecraft. You know what’s an easy way to change that? Have one of the lamest, old-man corporations buy it.

Not just because it could be dumb for Microsoft, but for the sake of the children.

On top of that, he contradicts here and there by telling you how acquisition of game companies will fail such as Rovio (50% decrease in revenue), King's IPO, etc. Then he ends off by the following:
Minecraft has some characteristics that make it a slightly less risky acquisition than some hit games. It’s like a digital Lego set rather than a game with a linear narrative, so it has more opportunity for experimentation and replay value. It began as a desktop game, so it has considerably more depth built in than most mobile-first games. It’s spawned a community of creators that keep kids tuned in. And its iconic pixelated aesthetic powers a strong physical merchandise business.

It has opportunities for growth, too, especially if Mojang can morph Minecraft into more of a massively multiplayer game. A built-in Twitch-style video sharing feature could also extend its shelf life and keep players engaged longer

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Does he even have any basis for this seeming-undeserved hate of Microsoft?

Based off of the quotes you used, I'm guessing he's never used a Windows phone, never will, but will always enjoy spewing negativity about them. I know Microsoft hasn't been the best in some ways, but neither have Apple and Google.

I honestly don't understand, and pity someone like this. Needless to say he's missing out on certain Microsoft services..

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Nothing better to do in this professional life than to talk negative things for something he may or may not have tried. It is best to just ignore and move on, it just wastes time and energy for no purpose.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Good grief. It's one thing to be biased toward a particular platform but this is outright hatred for no reason at all. And here I thought The Verge was bad. I'll be sure not to be reading TechCrunch, at least as long this Josh Constine works for them.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, TechCrunch in general just seems anti-Microsoft.

Remember this gem?

In Dumbest Possible Launch, Instagram’s Windows Phone App Leaves Out (Or Hides, Actually) The Photo Taking | TechCrunch

But really... dopey Windows Phone? These people seem to want to be journalists when it makes them sound good, but when you point out how they're being unprofessional, they're suddenly "just bloggers".

Well most iphone fanatics I know swear by techcrunch hence why I call them "fanatics", the term isheep doesn't cut the mustard for these types of people :winktongue: . Here is one sweet example "it is not wireless charging because you have to charge it using a wire", referring to the DC-50 - Nokia's portable qi wireless charging plate. Yet this nut carries around a portable powerbank (this one: Tecknet iEP1000 to keep his iphone topped up). After a guys night out, it mysteriously disappeared :eck: so next one I buy I'm going to superglue a mini treasure tag on it lol.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
No fun reading consistent beating of the brow negative foundless rants.

I pretty much get all my tech news from MN anyway.
To me it's much more enjoyable to read from thoughtful professionals than "poke and jab" writers that could really care less.
I would distrust any writer who is focused on an agenda vs. writing that elevates all points in a fair manner.

The comments below the blog were good too...

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So he's complaining because you have to charge the charger with a wire. Whereas with what he uses he's got to charge it with a wire, then plug his phone into it using a device cable.. Correct?

He's got me confused, that's for sure! :shocked:

I had a suspicion he would be surrounded by Apple products before I even got through half the post; the picture only helped.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The Purchase of that gaming studio makes sense for MS on so many levels. Gaming is the window (get it?? WINDOW?? I crack myself up!!) to get younger users to relate to MS. It is why the development of the XBOX was so stinking important at the time and is still so important. Microsoft has an image problem that is 75% their own fault. They need younger consumers and developers to grow not only their mobile brand, but all their cload based services and hold their lead in all their other divisions.

This "tech-writer" is looking at the enterprise sector through one narrow lens. MS is a decade down the line monolith that is trying to be a leader in multiple industries into the 2020s.

I know who I would place my money on.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Linus Sebastian is another such "reviewer" who cant review windows phone without bias and has vague opinions
i guess such reviewers are hardcore fanatics(not ****** because fanatic is an extreme form)

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Came across this post on TechCrunch by Josh Constine (@joshconstine).

This guy's smoking weed? :amaze:
I've been to one of the Hackaton in my country and Josh Constine was one of the judges, and yes. This post simply validates his behavior. He hates Windows to the core, to the point where he simply have everything to complain about my work because the app I wrote for is Windows Phone.

I've just unsubscribed TechCrunch from my reading list.

Hey Microsoft, Acquiring A Hit Game Like Minecraft Is Stupid
Hey Microsoft, Acquiring A Hit Game Like Minecraft Is Stupid | TechCrunch

On top of that, he contradicts here and there by telling you how acquisition of game companies will fail such as Rovio (50% decrease in revenue), King's IPO, etc. Then he ends off by the following:

I came across this article while swiping away in my Feedly news feed, didn't read it before though.

This guy clearly has some issues with Windows Phone.

Unsubbed.

Thanks for the revelation OP.

Linus Sebastian is another such "reviewer" who cant review windows phone without bias and has vague opinions
i guess such reviewers are hardcore fanatics(not ****** because fanatic is an extreme form)

Linus holds zero relevance here. He reviews products he didn't diss Microsoft purchasing Minecraft with such a biased behavior.

And he's not a ******, nor a fantic nor biased. Oh and most important, he's not relevant here.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Guys... guys... seriously, this's what internet news nowaday. Giving out blatant and stupid, biased article to gain view. They do this because they know heartly that people will bash them, link their articles everywhere and gain view from that. And they'll keep doing this because we'll keep doing that.
If you faced some plain stupid article this this one, just ignore it, don't comment or anything, just look at it like you look at a pile of final results from digest system.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Tech Crunch is the "Weekly World News" of tech sites. They were the same site that did a review of the Surface when it first came out and ended the review with a picture of the tablet in a waste paper bin.

C'mon. Any review that uses the word "dopey" has absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss