Apple beats Microsoft to the encryption party?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
It's an app. Look it up in your app list. It should be right above Store.

It isn't on my app list? I checked the Windows Phone app store and it wasn't there either?
Edit:
Oops. Sorry. I just did a BING search and Microsoft says it's only 8.1 and Cyan so it doesn't apply to me.

No encryption?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
And if Windows phones are already encrypted, then this begs the question why Apple gets attention for having encryption now.

Why is Apple getting marketing for NFC when it's been on Android since 2010 (and Windows Phone since 2012, I think)? Why did Apple get attention for their Magic Drive crap, when it was just and HDD/SSD combo drive that had been released by others months before? Why did people settle for low-resolution displays on Apple devices while every major manufacturer other than Apple offered up HD displays, which Apple is putting into devices for the first time in 2014?

Apple markets like crazy. Apple's followers are completely unwilling to listen to the sales pitches from the competition. So, when Google or Microsoft (or OEMs for Android/WP) talks up features for devices, the general Apple crowd doesn't hear it because it doesn't want to hear or understand technology. Then, when Apple shows up 1-4 years later with tech that the competition is already improving/replacing (like how Apple's just now going 1080p while others are pushing 2K and 4K displays), the masses get all excited because it's new, and it's only new because of ignorance.

Ignorance and marketing keep Apple afloat, not great hardware or software or competitive pricing.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Why is Apple getting marketing for NFC when it's been on Android since 2010 (and Windows Phone since 2012, I think)? Why did Apple get attention for their Magic Drive crap, when it was just and HDD/SSD combo drive that had been released by others months before? Why did people settle for low-resolution displays on Apple devices while every major manufacturer other than Apple offered up HD displays, which Apple is putting into devices for the first time in 2014?

Apple markets like crazy. Apple's followers are completely unwilling to listen to the sales pitches from the competition. So, when Google or Microsoft (or OEMs for Android/WP) talks up features for devices, the general Apple crowd doesn't hear it because it doesn't want to hear or understand technology. Then, when Apple shows up 1-4 years later with tech that the competition is already improving/replacing (like how Apple's just now going 1080p while others are pushing 2K and 4K displays), the masses get all excited because it's new, and it's only new because of ignorance.

Ignorance and marketing keep Apple afloat, not great hardware or software or competitive pricing.

The thing is, Apple has a habit of taking specs and making them into features. NFC by itself is not very useful. You need software like Android Beam or Superbeam to take advantage of NFC. With Apple Pay, Apple can offer consumers a virtual guarantee that most banks and stores will be accepting NFC cards by the end of this year. So now NFC is something that actually adds significant value to my life. Android has had tap to pay in most major chains in the UK (both NFC cards and smartphones with Google Wallet) but I have NEVER heard of a single WP EVER working with tap to pay. The feature exists, but can't be used in the US without an ISIS/Softcard app which doesn't exist. Similarly many other markets don't provide the secure SIM needed as well.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
If your phone is encrypted you will see it.

GDR3 and the Black update allowed users to enable encryption. Apple did not come out with this first.

With Windows Phone, the admins configuring your phone with their mdm tools have access to the Bitlocker encryption keys to your phone, right? Also, iOS and Android already had device encryption options available before this latest Apple announcement.

What Apple has done with iOS 8 is make their device encryption a bit more secure. The consumer controls the encryption keys to the the device, not Apple or a third party like your company. That way, if a consumer encrypts their iOS 8 device, no one but the consumer should be able to decrypt the personal data on that device. In this post-Snowden era, that's the reason for the media splash. Consumer first in terms of personal privacy. For most people, it is a marketing gimmick but if it helps sell iPhones...

Of course the downside is that if the user forgets his or her pin code for their encrypted iPhone 6, Apple won't be able to ever help them get their data back - unless it was backed up to iCloud.

Last edited:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, Apple has a habit of taking specs and making them into features. NFC by itself is not very useful. You need software like Android Beam or Superbeam to take advantage of NFC. With Apple Pay, Apple can offer consumers a virtual guarantee that most banks and stores will be accepting NFC cards by the end of this year. So now NFC is something that actually adds significant value to my life. Android has had tap to pay in most major chains in the UK (both NFC cards and smartphones with Google Wallet) but I have NEVER heard of a single WP EVER working with tap to pay. The feature exists, but can't be used in the US without an ISIS/Softcard app which doesn't exist. Similarly many other markets don't provide the secure SIM needed as well.

I doubt I am adding to the debate, but here in Canada through our major coffee chain I can Tap to Pay with my Lumia 1020 and the Tim Hortons app.

Mind you I had to set it to my Tim's Card, but I have a range of options once I paired my card. If the store is not set with an NFC enabled debit machine, they can scan a bar code my phone will show on screen.

They have even teamed with Visa to offer an NFC combo Credit/Timmies card.

Windows Phone NFC tap and pay is here, just not widely accepted right now ( as you have said).

Apple is late to the party again with a feature that they can Hype and the iSheep will soon be yelling from the mountain tops that Apple invented this feature.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I doubt I am adding to the debate, but here in Canada through our major coffee chain I can Tap to Pay with my Lumia 1020 and the Tim Hortons app.

Seriously, this is the first time I've ever heard of tap to pay actually working on WP! Although this is 100% specialized, it does prove that it can work.

Now I'm curious: does Tim Hortons have a regular Paypass terminal? Could someone with an Android phone use the regular tap to pay with Google Wallet? Or is it strictly limited to using the Tim Hortons app?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, this is the first time I've ever heard of tap to pay actually working on WP! Although this is 100% specialized, it does prove that it can work.

Now I'm curious: does Tim Hortons have a regular Paypass terminal? Could someone with an Android phone use the regular tap to pay with Google Wallet? Or is it strictly limited to using the Tim Hortons app?

Most if not all Tim's now have NFC enabled Pay Terminals ( for sure every Tim's in major population centers), and the app covers all major OS phones.
Android/Blackberry/iPhone/Windows Phone

You must link your Tim's card to what ever phone you use, and I will guess with the launch of the iPhone6 their app now offers Tap to Pay, or will soon once the app gets updated.

As to using Google wallet and Tap to pay I am not sure. As Tim's can now accept Visa and Master Card. An Android user would have to offer comment on this ability as I don't own an Android.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
And I predict this Naik's next post will have a) hyperbole about how Android will kill you and eat your testicles b) threats to run to the mods about how I broke forum rules and c) something that demonstrates stunning ignorance

Hi, it's me again. You just lied (again). To illustrate the depth of your idiocy, consider the security of the world's most popular closed source desktop OS and compare it to the security of the world's most popular open source desktop OS (UNIX/Linux).

You see, open source has nothing to do with how secure an OS is. Remember the first rule of information security: No system is safe. If someone sets their mind to cracking something open and has the skills needed, they will most likely succeed. Popularity is the metric to keep an eye on; the more popular the OS, the more people will try to break into it. Some of them will succeed.

I remember a saying I heard somewhere - the only place you'll find Android malware is on antivirus provider sites and WP sites :D

Android is safe if you stick to the Play Store, avoid sideloading APKs and avoid rooting.

You sir are a I'm sorry to say,if you cannot say anything relevant dont say a thing
You want proof about how open source stuff usually is easier to hack see androids own malware
There's more malware on android than apps
Play store itself has malware,if you really believe in your posts I wish you luck
As for your name calling and stupid remarks about other forum members like in that other thread,you are lucky none of us reported you,the way you posted ,be thankful for that and don't try to reply to our posts because you don't have anything revelant or helpful to contribute and only like to attack people

anon(5590893)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok, guys, now you got me more confused than before.
I am an ordinary private smartphone-user without any business usage and admins activating bitlocker or whatsoever.
I would be thankful if some of you could help me with the following questions. Thanks in advance.

1.As far as I understand Apple and Google will automatically encrypt the whole phone. Microsoft does not. But there seems to be bitlocker somewhere in the os but only accessable for business-users or phone experts unlike 95% of mankind. Is that true or am I just too stupid to encrypt my Lumia?

2. Does anybody know about plans by MS to implement easy = automatic encryption?

3. Is it paranoid to expect that degree of security on my phone? I don't care about the NSA but what about stolen phones and other attacks?

4. Am I unfair to say that Windows Phone is behind the market - again - though they have bitlocker but only give it to business clients?

The industry wants us to manage our whole life with our smartphones but I have my doubts. Why for example are there only 4 numbers to unlock my 920? Doesn't give me a feeling of good protection of my data.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
MS has a pdf called the "Windows Phone 8.1 Security Overview" dated April 2014 that is worth reading. Sorry, I don't have the link but you should be able to find it on windowsphone or microsoft sites using Bing.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok, guys, now you got me more confused than before.
I am an ordinary private smartphone-user without any business usage and admins activating bitlocker or whatsoever.
I would be thankful if some of you could help me with the following questions. Thanks in advance.

1.As far as I understand Apple and Google will automatically encrypt the whole phone. Microsoft does not. But there seems to be bitlocker somewhere in the os but only accessable for business-users or phone experts unlike 95% of mankind. Is that true or am I just too stupid to encrypt my Lumia?

2. Does anybody know about plans by MS to implement easy = automatic encryption?

3. Is it paranoid to expect that degree of security on my phone? I don't care about the NSA but what about stolen phones and other attacks?

4. Am I unfair to say that Windows Phone is behind the market - again - though they have bitlocker but only give it to business clients?

The industry wants us to manage our whole life with our smartphones but I have my doubts. Why for example are there only 4 numbers to unlock my 920? Doesn't give me a feeling of good protection of my data.

the proof and answer to your question is out there:-
theres literally no piracy on windows phone(very tough and unreliable plus not worth the effort to save a couple bucks)
windows phone and BB10 are the most secure operating systems in phones and havent been hacked yet
even ios's icloud got breached but it was due to one small bug
android/google will always have privacy,piracy and security issues in comarison to the rest owing to open source stuff
i know naysayers will boo me for this comment and give explainations like windows phone and BB10 have a low marketshare and hence dont get hacked but we consumers need not care even if thats true(which its not,windows phone and BB10 and even ios are well secured),as consumers as long as we get our moneys worth security etc and no piracy as developers,we need not care about marketshare issues etc

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
theres literally no piracy on windows phone(very tough and unreliable plus not worth the effort to save a couple bucks)

What do you call piracy? If you're talking about installing paid apps for free, then it's very easy, especially now that $19 will get you a developer's license (which I believe has just been changed to be a one-time fee rather than annual).

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
the proof and answer to your question is out there:-
windows phone and BB10 are the most secure operating systems in phones and havent been hacked yet
even ios's icloud got breached but it was due to one small bug
android/google will always have privacy,piracy and security issues in comarison to the rest owing to open source stuff
i know naysayers will boo me for this comment and give explainations like windows phone and BB10 have a low marketshare and hence dont get hacked but we consumers need not care even if thats true(which its not,windows phone and BB10 and even ios are well secured),as consumers as long as we get our moneys worth security etc and no piracy as developers,we need not care about marketshare issues etc

Talk about living in a fantasy world... Wow

There was no bug in the icloud the hack was because of the users stupidity on their own passwords and was gotten by a brute force hack, and by software used by law enforcement agencies.

As to WP customers not necessarily needing to worry.... Your way off base. Every cell phone user needs to worry about security regardless of what platform they are on. Open source software doesn't make it any easier to hack accounts or devices, it is all dependant on the individuals habits and wither they are sideloading apps, or opening email attachments that are infected. All platforms have vulnerabilities and can be exploited All of the app stores are good at getting rid of rouge apps and cleaning up things

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

There was no bug in the icloud the hack was because of the users stupidity on their own passwords and was gotten by a brute force hack, and by software used by law enforcement agencies.

As to WP customers not necessarily needing to worry.... Your way off base. Every cell phone user needs to worry about security regardless of what platform they are on. Open source software doesn't make it any easier to hack accounts or devices, it is all dependant on the individuals habits and wither they are sideloading apps, or opening email attachments that are infected. All platforms have vulnerabilities and can be exploited All of the app stores are good at getting rid of rouge apps and cleaning up things

Oh really? Nothing wrong with iCloud? Then explain to me how they were able to brute force it then? I mean, if they tried to do it to OneDrive/Dropbox/Google Drive they would've been shut out. Now, Apple has fixed the flaw, but to say that it was 100% user stupidity is just a lie.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Oh really? Nothing wrong with iCloud? Then explain to me how they were able to brute force it then? I mean, if they tried to do it to OneDrive/Dropbox/Google Drive they would've been shut out. Now, Apple has fixed the flaw, but to say that it was 100% user stupidity is just a lie.
The problem is your knowledge on how a brute force program or those that the various law enforcement agencies use works, or where those individuals passwords were obtained.

Making claims that it can't happen on other platforms is wrong.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The problem is your knowledge on how a brute force program or those that the various law enforcement agencies use works, or where those individuals passwords were obtained.

Making claims that it can't happen on other platforms is wrong.

No, the problem is that you don't understand what happened. If Apple didn't allow you have unlimited tries to log in, the consequences wouldn't have been nearly as bad.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
What do you call piracy? If you're talking about installing paid apps for free, then it's very easy, especially now that $19 will get you a developer's license (which I believe has just been changed to be a one-time fee rather than annual).

like i said its tougher and not worth the effort
would you pay $19 just for unreliable piracy when you can get the app reliably from the store for $1-2

^^not true at all
and im way off base
speak for yourself mate speak for yourself or dont say anything
im a developer on every platform and know a thing or two about security
my comment mentioned that naysayers will boo me and give an explaination which makes no sense
as for icloud- 100 celebs hacked at once,seems a bit insecure doesnt it
as for all app store being good at removing rogue apps-LOL play store has 90% malware/fake apps
apple and ms do a great job at keeping malware at bay
open source is easier to hack,just accept it even symbian got 2 viruses after going open source

No, the problem is that you don't understand what happened. If Apple didn't allow you have unlimited tries to log in, the consequences wouldn't have been nearly as bad.

^^exactly!! some people fail to see the bugs which allowed the hack in the first place
blame the consumer as the system goes!!just like apples statement which denied it at first

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99