WP is dead! What people are saying that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
WP needs a good reputation, it needs a new strategy to gain more fans by not focusing on USA only, but also in on other countries.
Ads, MS needs ads on TV, YouTube, and streets.
Also we WP fans must share the awesome of our devices and it's great OS, up to now 7 people have a WP because of me, and this number will increase soon as 3 of my friends+my math teacher found that WP is better than there's IOS and android phones.

omer620

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Does Microsoft gave you money to do that? What will you gain when WP will succeed? Money? If this will happen, you wont earn money. Microsoft will.

Pranshul Sood

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
surely, money wont be thing we will be getting. But if we succeed in the notice, we get more consumer satisfaction as lot more audience comes to the platform. Developers wil finally get serious about the platform. Most importantly, we want to fight the stereotype against windows phone, right?

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Also we WP fans must share the awesome of our devices and it's great OS, up to now 7 people have a WP because of me, and this number will increase soon as 3 of my friends+my math teacher found that WP is better than there's IOS and android phones.

Here are some feedback that i got when i introduce them to use WP device:
"does it have [insert any google app name]?"
"does it have [insert a games name that don't have on WP]?"

The people who accepted my advice to use a WP device is the ones who lack of technological knowledge.
It really hard for people who already using Google service. That's why Google never bring their apps to WP.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
WP needs a good reputation, it needs a new strategy to gain more fans by not focusing on USA only, but also in on other countries.
Ads, MS needs ads on TV, YouTube, and streets.

In some countries, like mine. No matter how much I've seen Nokia advertise their Windows Phone lineup no one seems to purchase them.

I saw ads every few hours when the 630 launched here, when I went to buy my Nexus 5 a few months back I saw huge billboards of the 41 megapixel Lumia 1020 but still barely anyone came out of a phone shop having purchased a Windows Phone.

It's a pretty tough spot for Microsoft to establish itself as a solid 3rd place OS, I hope it gets better though.

surely, money wont be thing we will be getting. But if we succeed in the notice, we get more consumer satisfaction as lot more audience comes to the platform. Developers wil finally get serious about the platform. Most importantly, we want to fight the stereotype against windows phone, right?

The thing is that both those things are pretty far away right now.

Developers didn't take Android seriously for a pretty long time, and the apps found on Android lacked in some way compared to the iOS version.

While Microsoft may be able to finish the app gap by this or the next year, the quality of apps will be hard for them to improve, it could take a few more years.

As far as fighting stereotypes goes, that's impossible. Android and iPhone users have been doing it for years, so have Windows Phone fans now.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Only time will tell.....i think MS are in for the long haul! ....if you had to build a "new Os" how would you do it? Who would you choose to represent your new system? Would you concentrate on apps? Marketing? Build quality? Specs? I think wp will become a force to reckon with....i just think its a "cool" os.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Just saying, my friends are excited about WP. Let me share you an incident:
We(5 in numbers) met on a weekend and had dinner at one's house. It was 9PM and we suddenly decided to go for a movie. Another friend with Android(Intex Aqua) opened BookMyShow app and tried to book the ticket. In the interim, battery drained as it was not charged for a long time.
There comes my Lumia 525 :)
Opened BookMyShow app and booked tickets for us and it was too fast. Screen transition, UI everything was like charm. He was very much impressed with the app and said that app works well on my phone. I took advantage of the situation and showed him more about WP UI(I already had GDR-1 then) and he said that if he would consider buying another phone it could be a windows phone. He may or may not buy the WP, but he was amazed with the OS and its fluidity :)

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Does Microsoft gave you money to do that? What will you gain when WP will succeed? Money? If this will happen, you wont earn money. Microsoft will.
It's not about the money, first MS is working hard for and me to give us the best whatever is your device so we must thank them, second more customers more developers so you will help an OS to success (doing good thing in your short life is great), and third people must now that their iPhones are on fact nothing when compared to WP hardware and software.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft M U S T get into the property aquisitoin business, that's what Apple has done, you see stores everywhere, its free advertising in major cities around the world, a place curious people can walk in, touch, feel, lift, play and talk about great products. They go away and tell others about it and so on and so on. Microsoft hasn't got a single store in the UK - a place where market share is high (for WP that is) - Come on MS you wasted a BILLION dollars on writing off Srface stock, How many stores would that money have opened!!!

On another note.....I convinced one of my best friends and my aunt to buy a Surface 2.....both sent them back as faulty units, my aunt had 3 (three) faulty units!!! suffice to say they now have iPads :/

anism

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
If more people join the OS will gain traction and more dev will make more apps that's what gonna happen

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me that MSFT is determined to take the mid to low range route into emerging markets. It doesn't seem that they are interested in taking on Apple, HTC and Samsung in the high end market. They expect WP fans to be excited about the 635 and what's that other "new" phone, the 830?? Seriously??? Nah, they're losing what little progress they made with the 1520 and Icon as I type this. The iPhones are available tomorrow and the Note 4 will be available next month. I'm a high end phone consumer. If they don't want to bother with that segment of the biz then I'll gladly buy a Note 4.

sent using tapatalk app

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft M U S T get into the property aquisitoin business, that's what Apple has done, you see stores everywhere, its free advertising in major cities around the world, a place curious people can walk in, touch, feel, lift, play and talk about great products. They go away and tell others about it and so on and so on. Microsoft hasn't got a single store in the UK - a place where market share is high (for WP that is) - Come on MS you wasted a BILLION dollars on writing off Srface stock, How many stores would that money have opened!!!

On another note.....I convinced one of my best friends and my aunt to buy a Surface 2.....both sent them back as faulty units, my aunt had 3 (three) faulty units!!! suffice to say they now have iPads :/
There's some physical stores here on Saudi Arabia for NOKIA, but they are awfully bad, they have nothing, no accessories no phones, nothing , just open...

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Read between the lines everyone it's blatantly obvious:

They buy Minecraft which is essentially on every mobile and gaming platform you can imagine (or will be soon).

All major services like Skype, Onedrive, Office etc are available for all mobile operating systems

Microsoft gets a huge amount of money from Android patents so they still benefit from those sales.

Nadella just stated in a recent interview mobility is not about devices- in other words its about services you use. He is not concerned about hardware marketshare he want Microsoft icons on every device.

They are focusing on phones in markets where there is little saturation- in other words a market that needs cheap devices that can offer Microsoft services cheap to get people hooked.

I kind of expect the possibility Windows phone may eventually not exist if they can promote their services across all mobile devices enough to render the existence of cheap WP not necessary.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Read between the lines everyone it's blatantly obvious:

I thought of something else that you didn't mention, dropping "Phone" from "Windows Phone". I'm not sure how much bother a company will go to in order to save face, but maybe we'll see a variation of this scenario: first Microsoft drops "Phone" from the name. Then a little later they announce that they're discontinuing <8" devices. It somehow sounds better than saying that they're dropping an entire department.

It's a weird theory with plenty of holes, but it's something that crossed my mind when I heard about WP's name change.

Microsoft gets a huge amount of money from Android patents so they still benefit from those sales.

Because of this, I'm not sure why Microsoft is so bent on killing Android. It's a cash cow, and WP is a financial drain.

But at the end of the day, I don't see any of this as the writing on the proverbial wall for WP. It's a possibility of course, but I think it's highly unlikely to happen, at least in the near future. My feeling is that if we don't see significant increase in market share in a couple years it'll be much more likely to happen, but I think it's a little early for that now.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

He is emotionally invested like most of us, and yes it is silly as it is just a product.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is dead because they're going to drop the branding.

And, I personally don't see them shuttering the phone part, because people are on their smartphones more than ever nowadays, so they'll lose quite a bit if they discountinue it.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
In some countries, like mine. No matter how much I've seen Nokia advertise their Windows Phone lineup no one seems to purchase them.

I saw ads every few hours when the 630 launched here, when I went to buy my Nexus 5 a few months back I saw huge billboards of the 41 megapixel Lumia 1020 but still barely anyone came out of a phone shop having purchased a Windows Phone.

It's a pretty tough spot for Microsoft to establish itself as a solid 3rd place OS, I hope it gets better though.

The thing is that both those things are pretty far away right now.

Developers didn't take Android seriously for a pretty long time, and the apps found on Android lacked in some way compared to the iOS version.

While Microsoft may be able to finish the app gap by this or the next year, the quality of apps will be hard for them to improve, it could take a few more years.

As far as fighting stereotypes goes, that's impossible. Android and iPhone users have been doing it for years, so have Windows Phone fans now.

thing is there are more stereotypes about windows phone than android and ios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss