09-20-2014 11:49 PM
69 123
tools
    WP needs a good reputation, it needs a new strategy to gain more fans by not focusing on USA only, but also in on other countries.
    Ads, MS needs ads on TV, YouTube, and streets.
    Also we WP fans must share the awesome of our devices and it's great OS, up to now 7 people have a WP because of me, and this number will increase soon as 3 of my friends+my math teacher found that WP is better than there's IOS and android phones.
    teckris, ohdesiree and Jose_Rey like this.
    09-18-2014 12:01 PM
    Does Microsoft gave you money to do that? What will you gain when WP will succeed? Money? If this will happen, you wont earn money. Microsoft will.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    09-18-2014 12:03 PM
    surely, money wont be thing we will be getting. But if we succeed in the notice, we get more consumer satisfaction as lot more audience comes to the platform. Developers wil finally get serious about the platform. Most importantly, we want to fight the stereotype against windows phone, right?
    teckris and Jose_Rey like this.
    09-18-2014 12:13 PM
    Also we WP fans must share the awesome of our devices and it's great OS, up to now 7 people have a WP because of me, and this number will increase soon as 3 of my friends+my math teacher found that WP is better than there's IOS and android phones.
    Here are some feedback that i got when i introduce them to use WP device:
    "does it have [insert any google app name]?"
    "does it have [insert a games name that don't have on WP]?"

The people who accepted my advice to use a WP device is the ones who lack of technological knowledge.
    It really hard for people who already using Google service. That's why Google never bring their apps to WP.
    MikeSo likes this.
    09-18-2014 01:15 PM
    My Microsoft Mobile phones aren't dead.
    I like them they are good and I am happy!
    09-18-2014 02:26 PM
    My Microsoft Mobile phones aren't dead.
    I like them they are good and I am happy!
    Guytronic, you and many thousands of us are in agreement. Doomsayers are many, those that recognize greatness are growing. Long Live Windows Phone.
    09-18-2014 02:51 PM
    Gee Ax,
    Maybe we could start a trend and start complaining about how happy we are with the phones
    Karthik Naik and a5cent like this.
    09-18-2014 02:54 PM
    WP needs a good reputation, it needs a new strategy to gain more fans by not focusing on USA only, but also in on other countries.
    Ads, MS needs ads on TV, YouTube, and streets.
    In some countries, like mine. No matter how much I've seen Nokia advertise their Windows Phone lineup no one seems to purchase them.

I saw ads every few hours when the 630 launched here, when I went to buy my Nexus 5 a few months back I saw huge billboards of the 41 megapixel Lumia 1020 but still barely anyone came out of a phone shop having purchased a Windows Phone.

It's a pretty tough spot for Microsoft to establish itself as a solid 3rd place OS, I hope it gets better though.

surely, money wont be thing we will be getting. But if we succeed in the notice, we get more consumer satisfaction as lot more audience comes to the platform. Developers wil finally get serious about the platform. Most importantly, we want to fight the stereotype against windows phone, right?
    The thing is that both those things are pretty far away right now.

Developers didn't take Android seriously for a pretty long time, and the apps found on Android lacked in some way compared to the iOS version.

While Microsoft may be able to finish the app gap by this or the next year, the quality of apps will be hard for them to improve, it could take a few more years.

As far as fighting stereotypes goes, that's impossible. Android and iPhone users have been doing it for years, so have Windows Phone fans now.
    MikeSo likes this.
    09-18-2014 02:55 PM
    Only time will tell.....i think MS are in for the long haul! ....if you had to build a "new Os" how would you do it? Who would you choose to represent your new system? Would you concentrate on apps? Marketing? Build quality? Specs? I think wp will become a force to reckon with....i just think its a "cool" os.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-18-2014 03:06 PM
    Just saying, my friends are excited about WP. Let me share you an incident:
    We(5 in numbers) met on a weekend and had dinner at one's house. It was 9PM and we suddenly decided to go for a movie. Another friend with Android(Intex Aqua) opened BookMyShow app and tried to book the ticket. In the interim, battery drained as it was not charged for a long time.
    There comes my Lumia 525 :-)
    Opened BookMyShow app and booked tickets for us and it was too fast. Screen transition, UI everything was like charm. He was very much impressed with the app and said that app works well on my phone. I took advantage of the situation and showed him more about WP UI(I already had GDR-1 then) and he said that if he would consider buying another phone it could be a windows phone. He may or may not buy the WP, but he was amazed with the OS and its fluidity :-)
    James8561 and a5cent like this.
    09-18-2014 03:19 PM
    Does Microsoft gave you money to do that? What will you gain when WP will succeed? Money? If this will happen, you wont earn money. Microsoft will.
    It's not about the money, first MS is working hard for and me to give us the best whatever is your device so we must thank them, second more customers more developers so you will help an OS to success (doing good thing in your short life is great), and third people must now that their iPhones are on fact nothing when compared to WP hardware and software.
    Ashish Gupta888 likes this.
    09-18-2014 04:33 PM
    Microsoft M U S T get into the property aquisitoin business, that's what Apple has done, you see stores everywhere, its free advertising in major cities around the world, a place curious people can walk in, touch, feel, lift, play and talk about great products. They go away and tell others about it and so on and so on. Microsoft hasn't got a single store in the UK - a place where market share is high (for WP that is) - Come on MS you wasted a BILLION dollars on writing off Srface stock, How many stores would that money have opened!!!

On another note.....I convinced one of my best friends and my aunt to buy a Surface 2.....both sent them back as faulty units, my aunt had 3 (three) faulty units!!! suffice to say they now have iPads :/
    09-18-2014 04:46 PM
    If more people join the OS will gain traction and more dev will make more apps that's what gonna happen
    FAHMI BASSEM likes this.
    09-18-2014 04:47 PM
    It seems to me that MSFT is determined to take the mid to low range route into emerging markets. It doesn't seem that they are interested in taking on Apple, HTC and Samsung in the high end market. They expect WP fans to be excited about the 635 and what's that other "new" phone, the 830?? Seriously??? Nah, they're losing what little progress they made with the 1520 and Icon as I type this. The iPhones are available tomorrow and the Note 4 will be available next month. I'm a high end phone consumer. If they don't want to bother with that segment of the biz then I'll gladly buy a Note 4.

sent using tapatalk app
    09-18-2014 04:55 PM
    Microsoft M U S T get into the property aquisitoin business, that's what Apple has done, you see stores everywhere, its free advertising in major cities around the world, a place curious people can walk in, touch, feel, lift, play and talk about great products. They go away and tell others about it and so on and so on. Microsoft hasn't got a single store in the UK - a place where market share is high (for WP that is) - Come on MS you wasted a BILLION dollars on writing off Srface stock, How many stores would that money have opened!!!

On another note.....I convinced one of my best friends and my aunt to buy a Surface 2.....both sent them back as faulty units, my aunt had 3 (three) faulty units!!! suffice to say they now have iPads :/
    There's some physical stores here on Saudi Arabia for NOKIA, but they are awfully bad, they have nothing, no accessories no phones, nothing , just open...
    09-18-2014 05:10 PM
    Read between the lines everyone it's blatantly obvious:

They buy Minecraft which is essentially on every mobile and gaming platform you can imagine (or will be soon).

All major services like Skype, Onedrive, Office etc are available for all mobile operating systems

Microsoft gets a huge amount of money from Android patents so they still benefit from those sales.

Nadella just stated in a recent interview mobility is not about devices- in other words its about services you use. He is not concerned about hardware marketshare he want Microsoft icons on every device.

They are focusing on phones in markets where there is little saturation- in other words a market that needs cheap devices that can offer Microsoft services cheap to get people hooked.

I kind of expect the possibility Windows phone may eventually not exist if they can promote their services across all mobile devices enough to render the existence of cheap WP not necessary.
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    09-18-2014 08:04 PM
    Read between the lines everyone it's blatantly obvious:
    I thought of something else that you didn't mention, dropping "Phone" from "Windows Phone". I'm not sure how much bother a company will go to in order to save face, but maybe we'll see a variation of this scenario: first Microsoft drops "Phone" from the name. Then a little later they announce that they're discontinuing <8" devices. It somehow sounds better than saying that they're dropping an entire department.

It's a weird theory with plenty of holes, but it's something that crossed my mind when I heard about WP's name change.

Microsoft gets a huge amount of money from Android patents so they still benefit from those sales.
    Because of this, I'm not sure why Microsoft is so bent on killing Android. It's a cash cow, and WP is a financial drain.

But at the end of the day, I don't see any of this as the writing on the proverbial wall for WP. It's a possibility of course, but I think it's highly unlikely to happen, at least in the near future. My feeling is that if we don't see significant increase in market share in a couple years it'll be much more likely to happen, but I think it's a little early for that now.
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    09-18-2014 08:53 PM
    He is emotionally invested like most of us, and yes it is silly as it is just a product.
    09-18-2014 09:03 PM
    Windows Phone is dead because they're going to drop the branding.

And, I personally don't see them shuttering the phone part, because people are on their smartphones more than ever nowadays, so they'll lose quite a bit if they discountinue it.
    Jazmac, Karthik Naik and teckris like this.
    09-18-2014 10:07 PM
    In some countries, like mine. No matter how much I've seen Nokia advertise their Windows Phone lineup no one seems to purchase them.

I saw ads every few hours when the 630 launched here, when I went to buy my Nexus 5 a few months back I saw huge billboards of the 41 megapixel Lumia 1020 but still barely anyone came out of a phone shop having purchased a Windows Phone.

It's a pretty tough spot for Microsoft to establish itself as a solid 3rd place OS, I hope it gets better though.

The thing is that both those things are pretty far away right now.

Developers didn't take Android seriously for a pretty long time, and the apps found on Android lacked in some way compared to the iOS version.

While Microsoft may be able to finish the app gap by this or the next year, the quality of apps will be hard for them to improve, it could take a few more years.

As far as fighting stereotypes goes, that's impossible. Android and iPhone users have been doing it for years, so have Windows Phone fans now.
    thing is there are more stereotypes about windows phone than android and ios
    09-19-2014 06:22 AM
    This topic is pretty worn out by now. WP may not be dead but the market share it has clearly shows that most users don't like it for a variety of reasons. Some of these are:
    - Lack of functionalities in the OS (many not a few)
    - Lack of apps in the market and very low quality (just to cut short, you can look at an objective way to meter those apps here: Microsoft promises a Windows Store full of quality, review scores say otherwise)
    - Microsoft taking four (read 4) years to add very basic functions and boasting "important updates" that are never such. If threshold doesn't change things you'll see the market share going further down. This regardless of what your two friends like more (they are not representative of global share which says otherwise).

Read the article i linked and you'll understand why people are not using WP. It may not be dead but surely looks in deep comatose status. It's not a matter of marketing, making new devices in fancy colors or boasting "new brands" (most of which unknown) supporting the platform. It's about fixing OS and APPS, then talk about marketing.

Self glorifying the platform will only help build a wrong image of what is happening. It's relieving for a short time but doesn't hide reality. The OS is promising but in an "as is" status that makes it look pure subpar crap.

Edit: I also have a good bunch of people from at least 3 countries (Italy, China and Taiwan) complaining about a boring non customizable interface. For me it's not very important as long as i have what i need and a decent margin of customization (i am ok now except i want 3 row wide tiles)...but these people are leaving the platform because their phone looks boring after a few months (same happens with iPhone). Like in the case of your friends i have no clue of how many of those are leaving WP for lack of customizability.....however i think a certain amount don't like it as it is.
    Edit 2: Just to say (i add as i catch up with news, apologies to everyone), read this http://www.androidcentral.com/insane-pace-android (focus on 3 keywords "INSANE + PACE of what? + ANDROID".

Is WP really fast? (I am still waiting for a decent email client and of course a keyboard input i can actually use to communicate with customers).
    Last edited by EC Translating Services; 09-19-2014 at 07:35 AM.
    09-19-2014 06:35 AM
    ^frankly i prefer windows phone not becoming another android in terms of changing launchers etc and messing up the phone
    people get confused with androids customisation options
    i agree windows phone needs more polishing but i feel its got a nice balance between every mobile OS so far
    ios,bb10,meego,android etc
    i have used every platform and while my windows phone is a pain for web browsing etc at times(tab browsing is a joke because it keeps reloading otherwise its fine),i find my 720 and z10 + ipad combo working out for me perfectly
    the 720s camera and battery life have yet to meet a perfect match in any phone yet which i have tried out(excluding extended aftermarket batteries in other phones) , the z10 is a lovely device for browsing and apps which are missing on wp(i use snap to install android apps) and my ipad for ios only apps etc
    09-19-2014 07:43 AM
    thing is there are more stereotypes about windows phone than android and ios
    Honestly the stereotypes of Android and iOS can get pretty crazy compared to Windows Phone primarily due to the huge number of consumers that own it.

I've not seen many stereotypes about Windows Phone as much as I see people complaining about the app gap on Windows Phone.

And the app gap isn't a stereotype, it's a genuine problem.

There are obviously stereotypes about Windows Phone out there, but I've seen that consumers stay away from Windows Phone due to logical reasons mostly(not because of stereotypes).

This topic is pretty worn out by now. WP may not be dead but the market share it has clearly shows that most users don't like it for a variety of reasons. Some of these are:
    - Lack of functionalities in the OS (many not a few)
    - Lack of apps in the market and very low quality (just to cut short, you can look at an objective way to meter those apps here: Microsoft promises a Windows Store full of quality, review scores say otherwise)
    - Microsoft taking four (read 4) years to add very basic functions and boasting "important updates" that are never such. If threshold doesn't change things you'll see the market share going further down. This regardless of what your two friends like more (they are not representative of global share which says otherwise).

Read the article i linked and you'll understand why people are not using WP. It may not be dead but surely looks in deep comatose status. It's not a matter of marketing, making new devices in fancy colors or boasting "new brands" (most of which unknown) supporting the platform. It's about fixing OS and APPS, then talk about marketing.

Self glorifying the platform will only help build a wrong image of what is happening. It's relieving for a short time but doesn't hide reality. The OS is promising but in an "as is" status that makes it look pure subpar crap.

Edit: I also have a good bunch of people from at least 3 countries (Italy, China and Taiwan) complaining about a boring non customizable interface. For me it's not very important as long as i have what i need and a decent margin of customization (i am ok now except i want 3 row wide tiles)...but these people are leaving the platform because their phone looks boring after a few months (same happens with iPhone). Like in the case of your friends i have no clue of how many of those are leaving WP for lack of customizability.....however i think a certain amount don't like it as it is.
    Edit 2: Just to say (i add as i catch up with news, apologies to everyone), read this http://www.androidcentral.com/insane-pace-android (focus on 3 keywords "INSANE + PACE of what? + ANDROID".

Is WP really fast? (I am still waiting for a decent email client and of course a keyboard input i can actually use to communicate with customers).
    I believe that if a person owns a Windows Phone, he's not going to get tired of it because of the aesthetics.

Primarily because live tiles are colorful and breathe life into the OS, they can be resized and put anywhere similar to how Android handles widgets.

You could easily become tired of the icons of iOS, but not Android or Windows Phone, at least in my opinion.

But yes Windows Phone needs more apps, and better quality apps.

^frankly i prefer windows phone not becoming another android in terms of changing launchers etc and messing up the phone
    people get confused with androids customisation options
    i agree windows phone needs more polishing but i feel its got a nice balance between every mobile OS so far
    ios,bb10,meego,android etc
    i have used every platform and while my windows phone is a pain for web browsing etc at times(tab browsing is a joke because it keeps reloading otherwise its fine),i find my 720 and z10 + ipad combo working out for me perfectly
    the 720s camera and battery life have yet to meet a perfect match in any phone yet which i have tried out(excluding extended aftermarket batteries in other phones) , the z10 is a lovely device for browsing and apps which are missing on wp(i use snap to install android apps) and my ipad for ios only apps etc
    I believe that customization and simplicity and go together pretty easily, Android 4.4 allowed people to change the default SMS app and default launcher directly from settings.

It's not like Google forces you to customize your device, you could keep it simple or make it more detailed.

Windows Phone could also do the same without sacrificing any of the user experience.
    09-19-2014 07:54 AM
    I kind of expect the possibility Windows phone may eventually not exist if they can promote their services across all mobile devices enough to render the existence of cheap WP not necessary.
    This is what I'm afraid of. That leaves us with really only two choices. There are a dozens of reasons why I wouldn't want to go to Apple or back to the evil empire (Android). The consumer market needs more than two players, and BB and Amazon don't count because of their tie-in with Android.
    theefman likes this.
    09-19-2014 07:54 AM

I believe that if a person owns a Windows Phone, he's not going to get tired of it because of the aesthetics.

Primarily because live tiles are colorful and breathe life into the OS, they can be resized and put anywhere similar to how Android handles widgets.

You could easily become tired of the icons of iOS, but not Android or Windows Phone, at least in my opinion

It's not like Google forces you to customize your device, you could keep it simple or make it more detailed.

Windows Phone could also do the same without sacrificing any of the user experience.
    WP has become fairly customizable for my needs. However, what you and i believe clashes with what others believe or are used to (things like Themer and totally different interfaces etc.). Italians in particular complained about the lack of colors, the fact they can't give tiles the colors they want, change tonality based on their need but only have a limited choice of colors and some icons can't even been changed. Now i believe the reason for lies in the fact some people don't like to see certain colors mixed with other colors and they would like to have a better granular control on it. I have solved my issue with a grey background that makes the phone more or less as i want. They still want to have the capacity to make a tile yellow, one light purple rather than one purple for everyone, one orange in a given shade of orange etc. I understand them to an extent and i believe WP will get there eventually. However they got bored and left the platform. I don't know how many are doing the same however.
    FAHMI BASSEM likes this.
    09-19-2014 08:05 AM
69 123