Why Microsoft never hire any famous people to using their phone?

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Ellen DeGeneres just post a "selfie" with iPhone 6 plus on Instagram
Tumblr: The Ellen DeGeneres Show

And it "only" gets over 100k likes in 30 minutes! Why Microsoft never do something like this?

They can throw away 2.5 billions dollar to buy a game company just to make it become a trash and can't even hire somebody to promote their phone?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Corporate priorities my friend...

Microsoft is angling for something.
Marketing is probably handled by an outside agency that Microsoft is currently happy with or not really watch-dogging closely.
Hard to say.

I remember when Sony was at the top and kept pushing competing formats that failed.
Sony survived after losses...

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
You want them to be using it regularly, not as a hand out for advertising. They had Jessica alba during wp8 announcement and that didn't fly. She ended up using iPhone later. Blackberry had alecia keyes in a completely useless role of practically doing nothing. Didn't help them at all. I bet Ellen bought the phone herself or was provided one to use. So she uses it. It also helps that the publicity is an extension of the apple phenomenon anyways. They can release whatever and it'll be forever ingrained in peoples minds

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So Ellen bailed on Samsung then :smile:
We were all over the Academy award selfie...

Is there no true commitment among these celebrities anymore :grin:
$$$ from big business > pocketbook = this weeks allegiance

anon(8763253)

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
What about the lumia phones in Katy Perry's music videos? Suppose that could have been Nokia but still promoting windows phone

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Windows and Microsoft is all over many TV shows NCIS, NCIS LA, The Mentalist and others...a Lumia 920 in Katy Perry's Roar video ( Boyfriend Selfie), Windows Phone sounds and a Lumia 530 in Perry's This is how we do video.

They have gone the product placement route rather then get a star to hold a phone.

The whole Jessica Alba mess was just awkward and forced, as Alba was just there to push her company of kid safe crap. Joe ( Emo Hair) Belfiore and Alba together were a train wreck at the Launch of Windows 8. Neither can act.

The Lumia 920 and 1020 cameras did more for Windows Phone then a Star could have done. As picture and Video quality caught the attention of many who reviewed the devices. Of course the original video of the OIS system being staged didn't help...but in the long run didn't fully hurt either.

Windows Phone does not need a growth of star struck sheep to enter the community and waffle on about WP being best because "so and so" use it so it has to be the best.

We need people who come to Windows Phone because the handsets are quality built and supported.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I agree that public tends to follow trends and if the who's who of the world is using apple products we'll use apple products, if they're with Samsung then so are we, and it goes on. Why it's easy for Apple to always be in the US public's eye is because their products simply works. It's hard for MS to catch up knowing that the features they're now putting in WP8.1->WP xxxx are those that were around in Apple and Samsung for a while now. What MS needs to do is to show that homegrown is the best way to go just like the US has adopted APPLE as their own no matter what Samsung drops, then MS needs to show how on PAR WP is with APPLE. What the public sees is that the IPHONE is 1 singular product being made better and better each time and not different variations of the OS on different devices. MS should look to make the WP OS on par with IOS, forget ANDROID as if IOS no matter how many ways they present the same phone year after year it just SELLS!!! So MS needs to hurry up and finish those GDR updates, release them, finish CORTANA unleash her, then look to see what can be done to make the OS, POP!! Makes 0 sense for us the consumers to actually talk about app and os parity knowing full well that WP 8-> is still under construction. Why do you think that people will always buy IOS?? the OS simply works and all APPLE does is improve what's already accepted. How many people truly complains about their IOS experience and still lines up for hrs to buy the next iteration of their IOS smartphone.

Let's talk again when MS says to the world this is us WP9/THRESHOLD!! and with it comes all that any smartphone user would want and when the DEVS actually see an OS from MS that actually is a thing to behold and actually WANT to develop apps to add to the store then we can actually have a sit down/stand up/knock down/drag out argument about which OS is truly the one of CHOICE!!!

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I remember when RIM unveiled Blackberry 10 and they had I believe Alecia Keys as their "ambassador" and like a month later she goes to iPhone. Hiring a celeb to represent your platform isn't going to work.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft spends money on their OS to make it better. They spend money on research and innovation. They dont need to spend money on marketing as the products they make sell themselves.
Beats by Dre is one such company who spend more on marketing and advertising and don't spend nearly as much on making a superior product. The sound of their headphones is poor, I have bought Sony ear buds and the sound is far better as they have been heavily studied and work has gone into their product in so far as hardware and sound production and they haven't been advertised very little on advertising or marketing has gone into them, the only time I saw them was flicking through a catalogue from my local store. Thank god Nokia and Windows dont do this. Superior products sell themselves.

Sent using my Nokia Lumia 520 via the Windows Phone Central app.

Jimmie Lee

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Windows and Microsoft is all over many TV shows NCIS, NCIS LA, The Mentalist and others...a Lumia 920 in Katy Perry's Roar video ( Boyfriend Selfie), Windows Phone sounds and a Lumia 530 in Perry's This is how we do video.

They have gone the product placement route rather then get a star to hold a phone.

The whole Jessica Alba mess was just awkward and forced, as Alba was just there to push her company of kid safe crap. Joe ( Emo Hair) Belfiore and Alba together were a train wreck at the Launch of Windows 8. Neither can act.

The Lumia 920 and 1020 cameras did more for Windows Phone then a Star could have done. As picture and Video quality caught the attention of many who reviewed the devices. Of course the original video of the OIS system being staged didn't help...but in the long run didn't fully hurt either.

Windows Phone does not need a growth of star struck sheep to enter the community and waffle on about WP being best because "so and so" use it so it has to be the best.

We need people who come to Windows Phone because the handsets are quality built and supported.

Regarding tv shows with Windows Phones, the character of Olivia Pope on Scandal, uses a Windows Phone. Let's see what she uses in the upcoming season:)

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
If you guys look at every TV ads of Microsoft, you will see it mostly lame as hell compared to apple!
Windows: youtube.com/watch?v=vTsp6WH_kkk
Mac: youtube.com/watch?v=5SIgYp3XTMk

Only one scene in a MV doesn't really have a big effect like someone hold their phone and post their photo with that phone on a social network. Imagine what if Katy Perry using that Lumia930 and selfie herself in front the mirror then share that on instagram. It would be more effective!

MS should hire someone who on TV everyday and can show people that they're using their WP device daily. It's not that hard, right?

Last edited:

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft spends money on their OS to make it better. They spend money on research and innovation. They dont need to spend money on marketing as the products they make sell themselves.
Beats by Dre is one such company who spend more on marketing and advertising and don't spend nearly as much on making a superior product. The sound of their headphones is poor, I have bought Sony ear buds and the sound is far better as they have been heavily studied and work has gone into their product in so far as hardware and sound production and they haven't been advertised very little on advertising or marketing has gone into them, the only time I saw them was flicking through a catalogue from my local store. Thank god Nokia and Windows dont do this. Superior products sell themselves.

And didn't they just fire some of their best people who did these innovations?

The problem with many on the forum here is they are so biased in their beliefs about both Nokia and Microsoft.. They aren't the best in all aspects of cellphones.... or decision making.

Yes... They desperately need high profile actors endorsing WP, just as they need to have the best marketing company develop Emmy award winning commercials.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Ellen DeGeneres just post a "selfie" with iPhone 6 plus on Instagram
Tumblr: The Ellen DeGeneres Show

And it "only" gets over 100k likes in 30 minutes! Why Microsoft never do something like this?

They can throw away 2.5 billions dollar to buy a game company just to make it become a trash and can't even hire somebody to promote their phone?

I can't believe that someone would by a phone based on if a Celeb is using it. Ellen is just another Apple Lemming. I guess iPhone lovers are very easy to brainwash...

Yep, I think most apple users buy for the brand and just want to see that little lighted apple on the back of their laptop. Beats is the same thing and a perfect fit for Apple. People actually by those things just because it has a "B" on it. I just can't believe how gullible people can be.

Last edited by a moderator:

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I think most apple users buy for the brand and just want to see that little lighted apple on the back of their laptop. Beats is the same thing and a perfect fit for Apple. People actually by those things just because it has a "B" on it. I just can't believe how gullible people can be.

That is so true. I mean like Sony have been round years and beats are slamming them in the headphone market. I very nearly bought a pair myself but a friend of mine advised me against it. After use of just a month he starts getting distortion and fuzzyness he paid near on 300euro for them. They are now thrown in d bottom of a storage box and he is using Seinheisser ones and he has them a few months.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Doesn't mean they can't do both! Marketing is simply needed in this world. Great products do not sell themselves. People need to know they exist at all and that they are indeed great products. I'm sure masses think beats is high qualify sound.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Yes you have to do some marketing but you also have to put the majority of money and resourses into development and production. Like if the product is good it will sell itself, you must be patient you cant just throw all the money into marketing and advertising. You cant advertise a product you haven't made or researched.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
These celebs are a dime a dozen now dayz.
Some years back you'd only see big names on TV backing different public service causes (and they still do)

Since money has become more than plentiful at the top for few minutes work entertainers stand in line for $$ and continued exposure.
Maybe Microsoft doesn't see hiring a name that doesn't truly believe in their product efforts as prudent.
I know I wouldn't.

Like I'm supposed to believe Shaquille O'Neal drives a Buick...
:smile:

buick-lacrosse-featuring-shaquille-oneal-large-7.jpg

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
These celebs are a dime a dozen now dayz.
Some years back you'd only see big names on TV backing different public service causes (and they still do)

Since money has become more than plentiful at the top for few minutes work entertainers stand in line for $$ and continued exposure.
Maybe Microsoft doesn't see hiring a name that doesn't truly believe in their product efforts as prudent.
I know I wouldn't.

Like I'm supposed to believe Shaquille O'Neal drives a Buick...
:smile:

View attachment 81666
Tore out the front seat and sits in the back. lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel