For the first time Microsoft is actually working as "One" company. They are communicating and we can see now. Way more transparent than last decade.

Skype updated its app. Now we know how we all like to moan about Skype being the most crappiest and ugliest experience on Microsoft's own OS. Someone at Microsoft has a different story to tell us. They are actually making it tailored to Microsoft's own hardware - Lumia.

We are bringing you great audio quality regardless of your environment – - Skype Blogs

Here is an interesting quote:
    “Audio signal processing over mobile devices is getting more sophisticated all the time. We can therefore leverage the audio capabilities that have been optimized for a specific device’s acoustics,” notes Sriram Srinivasan, Senior Program Manager, Audio Digital Signal Processing. “Several Lumia phones, for example, have multiple microphones, and what we do is work with the Lumia team to make sure those devices’ capabilities are perfectly aligned with what we want Skype to do.” Sriram gave a very common example – what happens when you want to make a video call with your Lumia in a noisy place like an airport? “When you’re activating the front facing camera, signals from all the microphones are combined using Lumia’s smart signal processing technology to zoom in to your voice and cancel everything else.”

I suppose, now we can no longer shout that Microsoft's own apps suck on its own platform. Granted, we don't have the feature parity yet, but we surely can see Microsoft working in the right direction - the best experience of Microsoft services on Microsoft hardware, right? :)
    09-25-2014 05:07 AM
    When ALL of Microsoft works together like this, you'll be right. For now, this is just one feature and the truth is Skype, OneNote and office are better on other platforms so sadly we can still say their products suck on their own platform. When that changes we can all have a hoe down.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

MikeX74 and rockstarzzz like this.
    09-25-2014 05:36 AM
    When ALL of Microsoft works together like this, you'll be right. For now, this is just one feature and the truth is Skype, OneNote and office are better on other platforms so sadly we can still say their products suck on their own platform. When that changes we can all have a hoe down.

How is Skype better on other platforms? What are we missing still? - genuine question.
    09-25-2014 06:49 AM
    Great feature but it's not really the first thing they should improve first...
    I hope it wouldn't make Skype slower because of having more function...
    I really hope the next thing they will improve is the performance of skype app on WP!
    09-25-2014 06:55 AM
    I don't know. Wife has an iPhone and I really prefer my WP8 Skype app.
    09-25-2014 08:36 AM
    How is Skype better on other platforms? What are we missing still? - genuine question.
    Skype for WP and Windows 8 still lack voicemail support. I have to use my iPad to listen to voicemail messages, or install the Windows desktop version on a computer. I recognize that video calling is the primary focus, but why offer Skype numbers and Skype subscriptions then if not all the features are supported?
    09-25-2014 08:45 AM
    Skype for WP and Windows 8 still lack voicemail support. I have to use my iPad to listen to voicemail messages, or install the Windows desktop version on a computer. I recognize that video calling is the primary focus, but why offer Skype numbers and Skype subscriptions then if not all the features are supported?
    I've never checked my voicemails... Interesting, gotta do that!
    09-25-2014 03:20 PM