09-27-2014 04:38 PM
61 123
tools
    Nobody's happier than Nadella this morning. Bendgate, iOS 8 update failure and stock losses are hammering Cupertino today. I don't like to see any company take PR hits because in the long run, the only ones who suffer are those who lose their jobs from the fallout. But at least it ain't MS today. Everybody, say "thank you" to Apple for taking one for the team.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-25-2014 10:09 AM
    Thank you!

Hopefully this will maybe make some people realize that Apple isn't the only company out there and will get them to migrate to other, better companies. I don't care much for Apple but I feel like they've been going downhill with their recent products, so I can't exactly sympathize with them here.
    Nerdy Woman likes this.
    09-25-2014 10:12 AM
    Haha I kinda feel sorry for Apple. Though iPhone could possibly be my last choice when buying a phone, they've brought some pretty nice features to the table that other OEMs later used.

A good example being TouchID and slow-mo video.
    09-25-2014 11:15 AM
    If any other company had as many blunders as Apple in recent years the mainstream media would have buried it. Since it's Apple the media is taking a more sympathetic tone and doing free PR work and damage control for their beloved company.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    09-25-2014 11:29 AM
    Haha I kinda feel sorry for Apple. Though iPhone could possibly be my last choice when buying a phone, they've brought some pretty nice features to the table that other OEMs later used.

A good example being TouchID and slow-mo video.
    Sorry but biometrics have been on Windows laptops and smartphones for years. It's that kind of mindset that people have that Apple invents everything and others follow. The only thing that Apple was ever first with was capacitive screens, that's it. Siri is a much better version of WinMo's "Tell Me" so don't bring that one up. Tell Me is the reason Cortana is so good right off the bat. MS has had years to improve on the system and it shows. There were app stores before iTunes, just not as polished. ActiveSync/WMDC was better than iTunes in many respects, just not as polished. Yet Apple has the cojones to sue other companies for copying what they had shamelessly stolen before. God bless America.
    Nerdy Woman and SwimSwim like this.
    09-25-2014 11:34 AM
    Sorry but biometrics have been on Windows laptops and smartphones for years. It's that kind of mindset that people have that Apple invents everything and others follow. The only thing that Apple was ever first with was capacitive screens, that's it. Siri is a much better version of WinMo's "Tell Me" so don't bring that one up. Tell Me is the reason Cortana is so good right off the bat. MS has had years to improve on the system and it shows. There were app stores before iTunes, just not as polished. ActiveSync/WMDC was better than iTunes in many respects, just not as polished. Yet Apple has the cojones to sue other companies for copying what they had shamelessly stolen before. God bless America.
    I'm sorry if I didn't clarify. Apple isn't known as one of the main innovators, but what I like about them is that they bring back dead ideas and sometimes implement awesome ideas from other types of devices.

Obviously biometrics existed way before TouchID came, but I am talking about the way it was implemented. The TouchID integrated into the home button is amazing, and I really like the concept over having a sensor on the back or what Samsung has done.

Features such as TouchID had come on phones before, but they honestly sucked. Apple just showed off the first truly complete fingerprint sensor.

Slow-mo is also a feature that existed on professional video cameras, and HTC added it to phones first if I am not wrong, but Apple went a step further and went to 120 FPS slow-mo. Which other OEMs later also added, now Apple has added 240FPS slow-mo.

Understand what I'm trying to say? The way they bring back dead ideas or improve on existing ones is what I like about Apple.
    snowmutt and carlos12001 like this.
    09-25-2014 12:50 PM
    The problem is not Apple trying to improve old or dead technology... the problem is Apple making those concepts their own and sue others for those "borrowed" ideas... not the nicest behavior if you ask me.
    09-25-2014 02:02 PM
    I'm sorry if I didn't clarify. Apple isn't known as one of the main innovators, but what I like about them is that they bring back dead ideas and sometimes implement awesome ideas from other types of devices.

Obviously biometrics existed way before TouchID came, but I am talking about the way it was implemented. The TouchID integrated into the home button is amazing, and I really like the concept over having a sensor on the back or what Samsung has done.

Features such as TouchID had come on phones before, but they honestly sucked. Apple just showed off the first truly complete fingerprint sensor.

Slow-mo is also a feature that existed on professional video cameras, and HTC added it to phones first if I am not wrong, but Apple went a step further and went to 120 FPS slow-mo. Which other OEMs later also added, now Apple has added 240FPS slow-mo.

Understand what I'm trying to say? The way they bring back dead ideas or improve on existing ones is what I like about Apple.
    TouchID on iPhones isn't perfect but having something like it or better on Windows Phones would be very cool. But where is it on uservoice? Just another reason why I don't have much faith in uservoice.
    09-25-2014 04:35 PM
    Before we all start gloating let's wait and see just how much damage has been done. Maybe not as bad as some people think. It depends how forgiving the Apple gang is. What non-Apple think really does not matter as most of those people were not going to buy Apple anyway. COOK must be drinking at lot of Alka-Seltzer the last few days. This could be a disaster or it could be a SO WHAT. Will be interesting, to bad Microsoft has very little to sell to Apple Not-Want-A-B' s.
    STXVI likes this.
    09-25-2014 06:43 PM
    I think bendgate might've been overblown, but iOS 8.0.1 was a huge slap in the face. So now that whole patch tuesday incident from last month has pretty much been forgiven. Maybe even more so because this is for a product that just came out. I hate to see a company have a bad day, but still, better Apple than Microsoft.
    09-25-2014 07:02 PM
    I think bendgate might've been overblown, but iOS 8.0.1 was a huge slap in the face. So now that whole patch tuesday incident from last month has pretty much been forgiven. Maybe even more so because this is for a product that just came out. I hate to see a company have a bad day, but still, better Apple than Microsoft.
    Wall Street would disagree with you. AAPL is taking a standing 8-count right now.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
    Guytronic and Captains like this.
    09-25-2014 07:17 PM
    First off, Apple's stock is of enough caliber they could have a bad year and it wouldn't hurt much.

But I do see a pattern- Slowly, people became sick of the i-devices being presented to them as improvements when really there were only touch-ups. Slowly, people became tired of premium prices. Slowly, the iPhone's fragile nature was showing.

The iPhone 6/6+ were Apple's answer. So was iOS 8. For these to be getting a rough start is a bit of a downer for them.

I do not think this makes a bit of difference in Apples success/sales over the next few months. But, I do think it is a pattern that is indeed troubling for a company who is in no way competitive in pricing. They push quality and performance. If those two start to slip, what does Apple truly offer?
    09-25-2014 07:29 PM
    I'm amazed how a couple of YT vids and the news stories inflated this "horrible, stupendous debacle!" <<< be sure to LOL because this is meant as a joke.
    Far as I remember Apple reported that as of this A.M. 9 people officially reported the bending boo-boo.

I'm wondering now what the actual cost per device is for iOS8?
    09-25-2014 07:29 PM
    Wall Street would disagree with you. AAPL is taking a standing 8-count right now.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk

Well, to be fair, everyone is down today.

09-25-2014 07:33 PM
    Well, to be fair, everyone is down today.
    Global events are taking a toll I'm thinking...
    09-25-2014 07:35 PM
    The problem is US media/blog like Verge, BGR, Cnet, Mashable etc.
    09-25-2014 07:39 PM
    I'm amazed how a couple of YT vids and the news stories inflated this "horrible, stupendous debacle!" <<< be sure to LOL because this is meant as a joke.
    Far as I remember Apple reported that as of this A.M. 9 people officially reported the bending boo-boo.

I'm wondering now what the actual cost per device is for iOS8?
    I don't understand the last part, "Cost per device".
    09-25-2014 07:40 PM
    I don't understand the last part, "Cost per device".
    Apple used to install iOS on the devices manufactured for them under license charging something like $369.00 USD back for each phone sold.
    Guess I could Bing for an answer.
    09-25-2014 07:47 PM
    First off, Apple's stock is of enough caliber they could have a bad year and it wouldn't hurt much.

But I do see a pattern- Slowly, people became sick of the i-devices being presented to them as improvements when really there were only touch-ups. Slowly, people became tired of premium prices. Slowly, the iPhone's fragile nature was showing.

The iPhone 6/6+ were Apple's answer. So was iOS 8. For these to be getting a rough start is a bit of a downer for them.

I do not think this makes a bit of difference in Apples success/sales over the next few months. But, I do think it is a pattern that is indeed troubling for a company who is in no way competitive in pricing. They push quality and performance. If those two start to slip, what does Apple truly offer?

I read somewhere today that since the 6's release, the stock had lost 23 billion in valuation. That's billion with a capital B-iotch!!!! I'm sure it was on USA Today. I doubt Buffett is looking for a ledge to jump off.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-25-2014 09:50 PM
    I read somewhere today that since the 6's release, the stock had lost 23 billion in valuation. That's billion with a capital B-iotch!!!! I'm sure it was on USA Today. I doubt Buffett is looking for a ledge to jump off.
    Seems like Bendgate took a "Bigger Bite of the Apple"apple-core.jpg
    fatclue_98 and Karthik Naik like this.
    09-26-2014 05:41 PM
    You guys need to Stfu. 1. iOS 8.02 fixed the issues users had. 2. Apple only has 9 complaints about #bendgate people make a deal out of the littlest things and 3. The iPhone 6's have sold as much as the 520 did in a year in one week. 10 million units. And the 520 is the best selling windows phone. You guys may prefer WP but the rest of the world surely isn't. We even have some WP converts in these forums that have changed to the iPhone 6. Even when Apple is taking it in the chin, it still does better than WP. That says a lot about our platform doesn't it?
    techiez likes this.
    09-26-2014 05:57 PM
    You guys need to Stfu. 1. iOS 8.02 fixed the issues users had. 2. Apple only has 9 complaints about #bendgate people make a deal out of the littlest things and 3. The iPhone 6's have sold as much as the 520 did in a year in one week. 10 million units. And the 520 is the best selling windows phone. You guys may prefer WP but the rest of the world surely isn't. We even have some WP converts in these forums that have changed to the iPhone 6. Even when Apple is taking it in the chin, it still does better than WP. That says a lot about our platform doesn't it?
    Wow tetchy! If you dislike 'our platform' that much, why are you still here?
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-26-2014 06:06 PM
    I agree except the last sentence. :)
    09-26-2014 06:14 PM
    Nobody's happier than Nadella this morning. Bendgate, iOS 8 update failure and stock losses are hammering Cupertino today. I don't like to see any company take PR hits because in the long run, the only ones who suffer are those who lose their jobs from the fallout. But at least it ain't MS today. Everybody, say "thank you" to Apple for taking one for the team.
    1) The phrase is "taking it on the chin." Taking it in the chin would be some sort of surgical procedure. If you want to play the superiority game you might at least get the expression correct,
    2) I seriously doubt anyone at Microsoft is happy since they make at least something off of most things Apple sells; have multiple cooperative agreements; and are run by grown ups.
    3) I expect they would love to have the "problem" of having sold 10,000,000 of anything in a weekend.

Seriously, gloating from one's bicycle because the person with the Ferrari needs to fix a flat tire seems more than a bit silly. Microsoft would do well to emulate Apple's model and live with the problem of quirks in millions of sales and this is coming form someone who runs a Microsoft only operation. Oh BTW, in as much as Microsoft is emulating anyone it is Apple, just not yet with the same type of success.
    09-26-2014 06:21 PM
    I agree except the last sentence. :)
    Yeah maybe I went too far on that one. Might as well call me an iSheep lool.
    09-26-2014 06:32 PM
61 123