Windows TH (Threshold) is the dumbest name ever! What's wrong with Windows9???

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This name is only for native english user. WOW. New OSX name is yosemite. WOW.
There are many good names that everybody knows.

Last time I checked, Google, Apple and Microsoft are all US companies. Although it has never been officially named as such, English is the predominant language spoken here and is if it's good enough to be the international standard for aviation, it's good enough for me.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Last time I checked, Google, Apple and Microsoft are all US companies. Although it has never been officially named as such, English is the predominant language spoken here and is if it's good enough to be the international standard for aviation, it's good enough for me.

Well said sir. Well said.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I didn't answer the poll question. Two choices are what they come down to. You like it or you are worthless for liking it. lol.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Threshold is fine. It conveys the meaning of transitioning from a stage to another and it's ok. However, when you go shorten it into TH the name becomes not only terrible but also confusing. My brain keeps mistaking TH for Thailand and there is a reason for that. TH is the international acronym for THAILAND in a variety of fields, from planes to mobile phone ROMs. Marketing wise Microsoft should just go for "T" or for the whole thing "THRESHOLD"....third alternative, find a new name. Since they are merging all Win versions into one they could call it "Windows Convergence" or "Windows Unity" or whatever. But i'd prefer not to see that TH around. It's really misleading.

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Mate you need to calm down. To me the name Threshold sounds cool too as it means the point where changes, revolutions and innovations happen. Of course if translated to Vietnamese it sounds rather odd but tell me has there ever been any electronic product that got it name translated to or is named in Vietnamese before? The answer is flagrantly no. Even the electronic devices that are manufactured by Vietnamese companies have their names in English (or Chinese lol) to make them sound more appealing and more recognisable I suppose. It sucks but it's true.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Just for sh**s and giggles, how do we know it WON'T be named Windows 9? I think Threshold is a pretty strong and symbolic name that sends a message to the competition - Watch out! We're just getting started and this is the "portal" to the future. See how I threw the door reference in there?

Threshold is also inspired from a planet in Halo, which is what Apple and Google will be wearing when Microsoft unveils the next Windows. There, solved it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Threshold is fine. It conveys the meaning of transitioning from a stage to another and it's ok. However, when you go shorten it into TH the name becomes not only terrible but also confusing. My brain keeps mistaking TH for Thailand and there is a reason for that. TH is the international acronym for THAILAND in a variety of fields, from planes to mobile phone ROMs. Marketing wise Microsoft should just go for "T" or for the whole thing "THRESHOLD"....third alternative, find a new name. Since they are merging all Win versions into one they could call it "Windows Convergence" or "Windows Unity" or whatever. But i'd prefer not to see that TH around. It's really misleading.

The actual name has not been chosen/announced yet. The "Windows TH" shown on the preview download page is simply a placeholder to be replaced by something else.

p111

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Apple used to use some big cat names. That really good! The name make me feel "strong", "powerful", and "scary" but "lovely".
Now they're using place names. The feeling is "great", "nature" and "beautiful". That's great too!

Sorry, but if names of operating systems give you these feelings and are a concern to you in the first place I think you are missing the point....

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Come on guys... I think we all have a little bit of door fetish. Just admit it.

But really, I think it's a placeholder name. If not, who cares? It's just a name; the OS is what matters most.

Off topic: Is this processor nice? (HP Pavilion g7 (500 GB, 6 GB RAM, AMD A8-4500M @ 1.9 Ghz, AMD Radeon HD 7640G ) Yours is probably a laptop but I'm looking at updating my mobo soon and I want to stick with AMD.

Ashalinia

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it's actually pretty good, I got the laptop refurbished for ~$350 and was able to play Assassin's Creed IV (on lowest settings of course) pretty smoothly.

Boot times are great as far as laptops go and there's no lag when browsing or word processing. If you're going to upgrade your desktop, I'd look at the FX-6300 (my desktop processor) or FX-8450, they're beasts.

But yeah, totally OT.

On topic: Even though I previously said it's just a name, I really would think the Windows team is smart enough not to give it such an unusual name.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's actually pretty good, I got the laptop refurbished for ~$350 and was able to play Assassin's Creed IV (on lowest settings of course) pretty smoothly.

Boot times are great as far as laptops go and there's no lag when browsing or word processing. If you're going to upgrade your desktop, I'd look at the FX-6300 (my desktop processor) or FX-8450, they're beasts.

But yeah, totally OT.

On topic: Even though I previously said it's just a name, I really would think the Windows team is smart enough not to give it such an unusual name.

You're right. They wouldn't be dumb enough to name a device "Kin" right? :winktongue:

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Dude. If you're that worked up over an operating system name, you need to get out some. Put the keyboard down, enjoy the fresh air and some sunshine. Seriously.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
what worse than denim? - besides threshold sounds like an internal codename to me, am sure it will be more consumer friendly by RTM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon