Will Windows 9 Save Microsoft's Ecosystem?

Anubis4574

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Ever since Metro came out, the average person has been more or less indifferent (and sometimes downright hateful) towards the 'new' Microsoft ecosystem (Windows Store, WP Store). Now in 2014, Microsoft's main goal for Windows 9 is to attract Win7 and XP users-which take up around 75% of the entire PC user base. Right now in the Windows 8 era, Microsoft is generally hated; Windows Phone is suffering from tiny percentages of share, and Windows 8 is considered the worst thing since Vista. Why? APPS. It is a vicious cycle- 1: Consumers want apps 2: A new ecosystem has no consumers or developers, therefore no apps 3: No developers want to spend their time on a tiny percentage of share 4: consumers then stay away from Windows (the metro Windows, that is. People still like 7). If Microsoft could somehow convince those stubborn consumers to enlist in Windows 9's awesomeness (I have no doubt that it will be quite awesome), then Microsoft will win quite a victory. Windows 9 will act as a Metro Trojan horse, hiding the 'Store' apps inside a more familiar setting. They will benefit Windows Phone from this approach as well, because since both OS' will be connected via apps, developers will once again consider Windows a priority to publish their acts.
Then, the app-gap will disappear from Windows Phone and Windows (9). This all hinges upon Windows XP and 7 users making that switch to 9. After that, it will only be a matter of time until WP gains market share as well. I am keeping my fingers crossed on Windows 9, because if they lose this final battle, Modern Windows (Phone), will certainly go the way of Blackberry.
Do you think Windows 9 will save us?

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Windows 9 will save MS's PC market. I'm not so sure about "Modern" windows. Modern Windows is still a baby as compared to Desktop windows. Till modern windows has the power and accessibility options of traditional windows plus more rich libraries and less restrictions for app developers, it is gonna take time. I'd guess maybe two or three major updates within next five years. But this is definitely a start.

Another reason I'm not too optimistic about modern windows' market share is because I feel that not many people are attracted to the UI of modern windows for some reason and MS may have to work on that.

Conclusion: Our store ecosystem will definitely start growing with threshold because of PC users market share.
But phones and tablets' market share? Only time will tell.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Ever since Metro came out, the average person has been more or less indifferent (and sometimes downright hateful) towards the 'new' Microsoft ecosystem (Windows Store, WP Store). Now in 2014, Microsoft's main goal for Windows 9 is to attract Win7 and XP users-which take up around 75% of the entire PC user base. Right now in the Windows 8 era, Microsoft is generally hated; Windows Phone is suffering from tiny percentages of share, and Windows 8 is considered the worst thing since Vista. Why? APPS. It is a vicious cycle- 1: Consumers want apps 2: A new ecosystem has no consumers or developers, therefore no apps 3: No developers want to spend their time on a tiny percentage of share 4: consumers then stay away from Windows (the metro Windows, that is. People still like 7). If Microsoft could somehow convince those stubborn consumers to enlist in Windows 9's awesomeness (I have no doubt that it will be quite awesome), then Microsoft will win quite a victory. Windows 9 will act as a Metro Trojan horse, hiding the 'Store' apps inside a more familiar setting. They will benefit Windows Phone from this approach as well, because since both OS' will be connected via apps, developers will once again consider Windows a priority to publish their acts.
Then, the app-gap will disappear from Windows Phone and Windows (9). This all hinges upon Windows XP and 7 users making that switch to 9. After that, it will only be a matter of time until WP gains market share as well. I am keeping my fingers crossed on Windows 9, because if they lose this final battle, Modern Windows (Phone), will certainly go the way of Blackberry.
Do you think Windows 9 will save us?

Apps has little to do with why folks hate Windows on the pc.

For most it is the metro ui and the changes that were forced on them and money is tight.

While some may like the idea most do not which is why 7 xp and Vista is still on most desktops for home usage.

Enterprise is different, most places aren't wanting to upgrade entire systems and programs.

Mobile is a different story.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Anubis4574

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Apps has little to do with why folks hate Windows on the pc.

For most it is the metro ui and the changes that were forced on them and money is tight.

While some may like the idea most do not which is why 7 xp and Vista is still on most desktops for home usage.

Enterprise is different, most places aren't wanting to upgrade entire systems and programs.

Mobile is a different story.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

I do agree that Windows 8 had a repulsive IU for most. However, that has already been addressed with Windows 9, so I didn't mention it. And my discussion is aimed more towards MS's whole ecosystem. Which is being smashed apart by Apple and Google in terms of consumer adoption and definitely appeal. Nobody cares or has MS devices nowadays and I would love for that to at least change a bit. Another thing I'd like is for sales reps not to claim that WP and Windows 8 are 'crap', or 'glitchy', etc. I haven't encountered a single human (literally never) who worked at a tech store that didn't try to steer me or my family away from Windows Phone.
My hope is that Windows 9 will at least re-validate Microsoft's competency. I apologize for what seems to be a lot of complaining, but there is much about which to complain.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I do agree that Windows 8 had a repulsive IU for most. However, that has already been addressed with Windows 9, so I didn't mention it. And my discussion is aimed more towards MS's whole ecosystem. Which is being smashed apart by Apple and Google in terms of consumer adoption and definitely appeal. Nobody cares or has MS devices nowadays and I would love for that to at least change a bit. Another thing I'd like is for sales reps not to claim that WP and Windows 8 are 'crap', or 'glitchy', etc. I haven't encountered a single human (literally never) who worked at a tech store that didn't try to steer me or my family away from Windows Phone.
My hope is that Windows 9 will at least re-validate Microsoft's competency. I apologize for what seems to be a lot of complaining, but there is much about which to complain.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. Plenty of people use: outlook.com, OneDrive, Skype, Office. Microsoft's ecosystem doesn't need saving, as all of those products are available for any platform. Office for iOS was a huge success.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

When Windows 8 was released, Microsoft practically gave it away for $15. And the only real problem with the "metro" UI is that when it was released, Microsoft failed to show keyboard/mouse users how it can be efficiently used in that scenario and that you don't have to use all the "metro" UI apps.

Anubis4574

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't agree. Almost every argument I hear about why Win8 is bad is that they just hate tiles. The tile concept on desktop windows just made people feel like it was a phone UI and they hated it. It's not hard to navigate with a mouse; people just never tried.

Anubis4574

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
By ecosystem, I generally mean all of Windows, Windows Phone. Maybe a few select apps/services fare decently on other platforms (but not as much as Google Drive/iCloud), but that is in no way benefitting Windows itself. It may make Microsoft Corporation more money, but that's not the point.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
By ecosystem, I generally mean all of Windows, Windows Phone. Maybe a few select apps/services fare decently on other platforms (but not as much as Google Drive/iCloud), but that is in no way benefitting Windows itself. It may make Microsoft Corporation more money, but that's not the point.

When you state "Microsoft's ecosystem", though, that means all of the apps/programs/services. Microsoft is now about these apps/programs/services, not just about Windows. http://www.windowscentral.com/satya-nadella-mobile-first-cloud-first-vision-accelerateindia
Microsoft helps enterprises embrace mobile-first, cloud-first world

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
As far as anyone knows it has been addressed you mean to say.

Here's my perspective on this, since I am a very long time user of Windows as well as dos.

I dislike looking at tiles on the desktop. Navigation for a non touch 27" monitor sucks. I want to set up my environment as I choose to do so. It's been this way since the beginning and there is no reason to change what works best for me, regardless of what anyone else wants to do.

There is a real reluctance on the majority of people to accept Microsoft's idea of what the desktop should look like that feels exactly as I do too. When you purposely change around with what the majority of the people who are using the product want to have, you loose the trust of those you want to sell to which is exactly what happened.

Now.... make your phone look just like the way you made your desktop look like, is there any reason to wonder why sales have tanked?

Now add to the mess Microsoft has done all the people who have to go out and spend more money on a desktop computer or on upgrades because if you don't it won't work or dog down... How many people are going to spend more money to do this, or switch to something else?

People are po'd and aren't in a buying mood.... Not when there is a platform that has a very similar desktop from another company.

Will threshold change this, with WP... no.. It won't not unless Microsoft does something really radical... People don't want tiles because tiles haven't been shown in the best way of using a WP.. It's just a reminder of a look most people hate.

Remember that thread Phil had a while back on perception? This is what needs to be addressed, not the lack of apps not wither cortana is better than siri... How nice the tiles can be especially if you can't see them.

What reason are they framed? None they are framed because no one has coded them not to be or give full transparency control to the user yet.. Why does every add have to show big solid boring tiles? Because Microsoft can't understand that the majority of people don't like them. Oh I know that a lot of WP fans do, but that is a tiny fraction of smartphone users...

See Microsoft whole strategy is to get apple iPhone users to switch... That's the wrong group to go after.. Those folks don't want to switch they like it too much.

The only way the whole ecosystem of Microsoft is going to change and WP which is a vital part of it, to really be in contention is to give Android users what they are used to. If they don't, then as a whole ecosystem it won't be a contender. Sure.. there software will still be top Sellers.. but that is all.. and the bad news is that Microsoft doesn't really care as long as they control the pc market share they have.

They realized their mistake there.. if they don't about their phones.... It's not going to matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb