View Poll Results: Do you agree with the conclusion or do you prefer another?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I agree

5 10.64%
  • No. I prefer the Icon/930

8 17.02%
  • 830 FTW

9 19.15%
  • Meh, first world problems, gimme the 635

0 0%
  • I hate my life, I want a 538

1 2.13%
  • HTC is the One for me

2 4.26%
  • Moar Megapixels(1020)

2 4.26%
  • Size doesn't matter, 1520

20 42.55%
10-06-2014 10:29 AM
54 123
tools
    A person doesn't need huge hands or big pockets to think the 1520 is the best phone.

That's like if I said that the 1520 is the best unless you have tiny hands or tight pockets. Does that sound fair to you?
    Read an article today - because of the adoption of the phablet (& the recent iPhone6+), manufacturers are making pants / jeans with larger pockets !

Fashion brands are increasing the size of pockets to fit the iPhone 6 Plus
    Reflexx likes this.
    10-04-2014 02:55 PM
    I prefer 930&830
    10-04-2014 03:45 PM
    we need something with 930 specs packed into a thinner body of the 830, but with an excellent front facing camera of the 73x
    10-04-2014 04:27 PM
    Personally, I'm all about waiting, because the options are all pretty much crap right now. My sister got the Icon on Friday, but that's her impatience. I voted for the 1520, because it's the only device with a good SoC, camera, and display. Here are my complaints across the spectrum of devices:

Anything in the 5xx-7xx line: Low-resolution display, weak camera, low-end SoC, minimal RAM, little on-board storage
    830: Low-end SoC, average camera, below-average display, poor long-term viability (inability to support new features like Hey Cortana)
    Icon/930: Not available on AT&T, AMOLED display doesn't support Glance, reports of potential display burn-in, American colors are limited to black and white.
    1020: 2-year-old SoC (now junk), small-ish body (camera housing belongs in a bigger device, IMO), color options are mediocre, display is mediocre in 2014
    1520: Size COULD be too much, wireless charging is removed on AT&T, only 16 GB of base, on-board storage, slightly-old SoC

The 1520 got my vote because I'm on AT&T, but it's still a real compromise. I don't know that I'd want a 6" device. I don't like that AT&T removed the wireless charging. Halving the base storage is disappointing. The Snapdragon 800 is due for an upgrade (which will mean the hexa- and octa-core stuff running in big.LITTLE). I just think that my 920 does more than enough to carry me to a 1030 or 1530, while I think that a new customer is better off waiting, or getting a low-end device to tide himself over to a new release, rather than signing up for 2 years of the mediocre (at best) 830.
    10-05-2014 12:01 AM
    Personally, I'm all about waiting, because the options are all pretty much crap right now. My sister got the Icon on Friday, but that's her impatience. I voted for the 1520, because it's the only device with a good SoC, camera, and display. Here are my complaints across the spectrum of devices:

Anything in the 5xx-7xx line: Low-resolution display, weak camera, low-end SoC, minimal RAM, little on-board storage
    830: Low-end SoC, average camera, below-average display, poor long-term viability (inability to support new features like Hey Cortana)
    Icon/930: Not available on AT&T, AMOLED display doesn't support Glance, reports of potential display burn-in, American colors are limited to black and white.
    1020: 2-year-old SoC (now junk), small-ish body (camera housing belongs in a bigger device, IMO), color options are mediocre, display is mediocre in 2014
    1520: Size COULD be too much, wireless charging is removed on AT&T, only 16 GB of base, on-board storage, slightly-old SoC

The 1520 got my vote because I'm on AT&T, but it's still a real compromise. I don't know that I'd want a 6" device. I don't like that AT&T removed the wireless charging. Halving the base storage is disappointing. The Snapdragon 800 is due for an upgrade (which will mean the hexa- and octa-core stuff running in big.LITTLE). I just think that my 920 does more than enough to carry me to a 1030 or 1530, while I think that a new customer is better off waiting, or getting a low-end device to tide himself over to a new release, rather than signing up for 2 years of the mediocre (at best) 830.
    The ,7XX has a decent camera on both ends, better display than the 830, wireless charging, etc.
    10-05-2014 03:27 AM
    The Lumia 730/735 are receiving a lot of praise from experts, it truly deserves the spot for being the top Windows Phone.
    10-05-2014 05:25 AM
    The best overall windows phone is the 1520

Followed by 930

Midrange 730, 830

Low end 630

I don't consider the m8 or any of those other phones.
    10-05-2014 05:33 AM
    All WPs are good, its a personal choice what you want to buy, if someone is not concerned about his budget, he will definitely go for 1520/930. Or 830. If someone is willing to buy a mid ranged phone, 730/735 is the best one. If someone is low on budget, he can go for 530, 630/635. Its a personal choice, whatever phone you use it becomes the perfect one for you...
    10-05-2014 08:09 AM
    whats the best medicine in the world?
    no answer right! its all down to illness etc
    same with the thread title,its all down to prefernces

the most balanced windows phone so far is the 720 imho,730/735 isnt much of an upgrade considering loss of glance,camera button,capacitive keys
    though battery and camera performance etc is the best on the 7xx!!
    runner up phone is the 830 and 820!!
    (note- this is purely my preference and opinion,it need not be everyones opinion and on paper the best windows phones are the 1520,1020..
    920,930 ,925 dont make it here because of higher price tag,lack of glance on the 930,no sd card slot and limited storage options-16gb and 32gb)
    10-05-2014 09:06 AM
    If you're budget constrained, a (very) good option is still the (2 year old) Lumia 920.
    Very solid spec'd phone, 32gb onboard ... can be had for ~~ $200. USD ...

I gave mine to my wife (I'd still be using it, but, when she wanted it, I upgraded to the Lumia 1520), she absolutely luvs it (though, she's NOT a power user) & has NO plans to upgrade it for the foreseeable future. It's NOT the latest spec'd phone, but, for the regular user, just might be a very good choice - plus, it's built like a tank (could be a pro or a con).
    10-05-2014 11:02 AM
    Well L730 is a great phone. It will be sold like hot cake. I am going to get it myself as it's in my budget. But I have to say L1520 is the best WP. Overall it's the best.
    10-05-2014 11:42 AM
    Personally. I hope that the One comes out on TMO in the near future. The styling is down right stunning, and it's feature packed. The fact it can more than likely share accessories with the Android version is a huge plus for me. As great as the other phones are, they aren't as chuffing great as the HTC. Only real drawback is the fact the camera isn't quite as strong, but I'm not exactly an avid photographer... so this isn't a huge drawback for me.

Otherwise I wouldn't mind an Ativ SE. Solid update of the Ative S.
    10-05-2014 11:45 PM
    Even better, if within budget, I would say, is the 925. Thinner, slightly better camera, almost the same price, much more compact than the Icon.
    10-06-2014 03:11 AM
    Even better, if within budget, I would say, is the 925. Thinner, slightly better camera, almost the same price, much more compact than the Icon.
    16gb internal memory and no sd card slot(32gb variant is very very rare)
    10-06-2014 04:24 AM
    Much older CPU and GPU.
    10-06-2014 07:39 AM
    Is this thread the best Windows Phone or the best Lumia? A token mention of the Ativ SE and nothing else. The SE is indeed a Verizon exclusive but it's also a GSM phone for the rest of the world. Gorgeous 5" AMOLED screen, 2 gigs of RAM, 13MP shooter, expandable storage, removable battery. What else do you need?
    10-06-2014 08:02 AM
    Is this thread the best Windows Phone or the best Lumia? A token mention of the Ativ SE and nothing else. The SE is indeed a Verizon exclusive but it's also a GSM phone for the rest of the world. Gorgeous 5" AMOLED screen, 2 gigs of RAM, 13MP shooter, expandable storage, removable battery. What else do you need?
    Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1. :P
    10-06-2014 08:05 AM
    Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1. :P
    We're strictly discussing phones. Software should not be a tipping point.
    10-06-2014 08:09 AM
    We're strictly discussing phones. Software should not be a tipping point.
    Software is part of what makes a phone great and the OP did mention the Ativ SE and said that you should get this phone if you fancy being on Windows Phone 8, and not 8.1
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    10-06-2014 08:15 AM
    Software is part of what makes a phone great and the OP did mention the Ativ SE and said that you should get this phone if you fancy being on Windows Phone 8, and not 8.1
    I did say he mentioned the SE. It was a token shout-out and he made it sound like being on Verizon was a bad thing. Funny thing is that there was no such mention of Verizon when he wrote about the Icon just before the SE. I don't recall seeing any references to software other than a passing mention of Glance concerning one of the models. It is obvious that the intent of the OP was to discuss hardware, not software.

"The qualities I have chosen for this post are value for money, camera quality, storage capacity and battery life as well as OEM support."

This is how internet flame wars start.
    salmanahmad and Karthik Naik like this.
    10-06-2014 08:25 AM
    To be fair, the 930 is the Icon and is widely available unless you're in America. Living in England, the HTC one M8 and Ativ SE can bake cookies and fart diamonds for all I care. In general, the software for all the devices should be the same aside from the SE which does not play well with the dev preview.
    OEM support also relates to the SE which is an abandoned stepchild tbh
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    10-06-2014 08:54 AM
    The answer to your question, guaranteed support. Also the SE doesn't play nice with UK LTE bands. The HTC One M8 was mentioned as well and I cannot think of any other WP worth consideration
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    10-06-2014 08:56 AM
    Much older CPU and GPU.
    thats not a valid reason to diss a phone,windows phone doesnt need very high end hardware to get stuff done
    10-06-2014 09:21 AM
    polycarbonate body :P and Lumia exclusive apps
    10-06-2014 09:21 AM
    this is rare but i actually agree with you!! Ativ SE's were even getting bricked with DP
    10-06-2014 09:22 AM
54 123