The Best Windows Phone You Can Buy

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The Best Windows Phone You Can Buy

For Windows Phone fans, it is an exciting time. There are tons of OEMs pumping out devices at all ends of the market. From the Nokias to the Prestigios. Buying a phone now comes down to one thing, what are the most important qualities you look for in a phone? What qualities can objectively make your phone a pleasure to use?

The qualities I have chosen for this post are value for money, camera quality, storage capacity and battery life as well as OEM support. In another world where people have massive hands and deep pockets, the only fair winner would be the Lumia 1520. This is however, not that world, and these need to be taken into consideration. So before I go forward, if you have massive hands and large pockets, buy the 1520, otherwise move on.

The best Windows Phone you can buy is the Lumia 735.
Lumia-735-hero1.jpg

Why the Nokia Lumia 735 is the best Windows Phone you can buy

The Lumia 735 is Nokia's killer midrange device and a successor to the Nokia Lumia 720. Aside from the processor, it sits comfortably ahead of the lower end Lumias and right beside the 830.

One of the major differentiators between high-end a low end smartphones is the camera, and the Lumia 735 is no slouch. It offers a 5 Megapixel wide-angle lens for it's front facing camera which should beat out the front and rear cameras of many mid-low end devices in picture quality. Its rear camera is a 6.7 megapixel camera lifted from the 720 which takes excellent low-light images. Need proof? Click the link below to watch the 720 demolish the HTC One in image quality.

Nokia Lumia 720 vs HTC One Camera Comparison | Nokia Revolution

Now, while the Lumia 735 comes with a measly 8 GB of storage, it also has an SD card which can take up to 128 GB of external storage. That is to say, it has maximum of 136 GB of storage, easily higher than the highest iPhone configuration. Previous Windows Phones that came with 8 GB were crippled by Windows Phone 8 handling of SD cards and the "Other" Storage bug but 8.1 now allows you to offload everything and anything on an SD Card (apart from a few apps). Frankly speaking, you should have no problem with storage on this Lumia.

Now, back to the processor. The Lumia comes with a Snapdragon 400 processor clocked at 1.2 GHz. Is it the fastest processor? It is not by any means. The Snapdragon 600 and 800 series outclass it. It is however enough to handle Windows Phone 8.1 when paired with it's healthy 1 GB of RAM. It has a 720p display and a 4.7 inch screen, which means it should sit comfortably at "retina" resolution (to borrow an Apple marketing term) without being too taxing on the processor and battery life. It has a beautiful design, building off the N9 design language which when paired with its screen size, weight and thinness makes it comfortable to hold and beautiful to look at.

However, it is not without its flaws. It lacks a camera button, the glance screen and access to Microsoft's "Hey Cortana " feature. Your mileage may vary depending on how much these features mean to you, it is worth noting that the only Windows Phone that has all these features is the 1520 and well...6 inches man.
Nokia-Lumia-1520-National-Geographic-jpg.jpg

Why the others don't measure up

The Lumia Icon/930 is expensive, has weak battery life and lacks expandable memory. 32 GB of storage is not nearly enough at that price.
Nokia-Lumia-930-Beauty2.jpg

The HTC One has a horrendous camera and no amount of ultra-pixel branding can change that. It's also limited to Verizon in the US for now
HTC-M8-PhoneHero_InvariantCulture_Default.png

The Samsung Ativ SE is a wonderful all-rounder with a thin and light design. But...if you fancy being stuck on Windows Phone 8 and on Verizon? be my guest.
v_ATIV_600x600_xlarge.jpg
The Lumia 1020, 925 and 920 have been EOL?d at this point and they perform similarly to the 735 on benchmarks. The 1020 is frankly only recommendable if you need those extra pixels.
MSFT-PP-Hero-Lumia1020-US-Image-Carousel-2000x1000-02-jpg.jpg

The closest competitor is the 830. Simply put, the 8XX series offers little value over either the 7XX series or 9XX series. You?re better off getting the 930 unless glance and the SD Card are important to you. If price is what you care about, the 735 is cheaper and has a comfortable design, better screen quality and a sleeker design (subjective).
Nokia-Lumia-830-hero1.jpg

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't see any mention of the Lumia 1520. This is the quintessential Windows phone. Strong processor, great camera, brilliant display, sdcard storage ... But the size is the elephant in the room.
After you have the phone for a week, everything seems just puny. Worth a try. And with the proliferation of large screened phones ... Hmmmm

Last edited:

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't see any mention of the Lumia 1520. This is the quintessential Windows phone. Strong processor, great camera, brilliant display, sdcard storage ... But the size is the elephant in the room.
After you have the phone for a week, everything seems just puny. Worth a try. And with the proliferation of large screened phones ... Hmmmm
Well... that elephant is mentioned twice along with a picture:).
Seen it, tried it. Too big :(

In another world where people have massive hands and deep pockets, the only fair winner would be the Lumia 1520. This is however, not that world, and these need to be taken into consideration. So before I go forward, if you have massive hands and large pockets, buy the 1520, otherwise move on.
However, it is not without its flaws. It lacks a camera button, the glance screen and access to Microsoft's "Hey Cortana " feature. Your mileage may vary depending on how much these features mean to you, it is worth noting that the only Windows Phone that has all these features is the 1520 and well...6 inches man.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The 735 is not even close to being the best WP you can buy. Lower res screen (how is this better quality over the 830 again?), comparatively lesser camera, no camera button. For all its supposed bulk the 1520 isn't even the biggest smartphone you can get but it seems to be pitched as such. The 830 is closest to being the WP that hits the sweet spot, high end camera, wireless charging, SD card, removable battery, and is "expensive" only in the eyes of cheapskates.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the OP, considering the pricing & specs, 730/735 is the best you can buy.

But If someone has a good budget they can surely go for 1520/930. Or even 830

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
720p Oled screen at 4.7 inches delivers a higher PPI than a 720p screen at 5.0inches.
The 735 is not even close to being the best WP you can buy. Lower res screen (how is this better quality over the 830 again?), comparatively lesser camera, no camera button. For all its supposed bulk the 1520 isn't even the biggest smartphone you can get but it seems to be pitched as such. The 830 is closest to being the WP that hits the sweet spot, high end camera, wireless charging, SD card, removable battery, and is "expensive" only in the eyes of cheapskates.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Is that really what matters? I like both the Lumia 830 and the HTC One M8. The first for the design and the second for its battery life. I'm not one who insists on a "kitchen sink" solution. If I want to take pictures, I have a Sammy that gets that job done.

Sure having a camera on my phone is convenient and the shots must be very good as what I can get from both the 920 and HTC One M8 but frame-ability isn't required. They will do just fine on Facebook, instagram and on my phone; which is the extent of their existence. I mean I have yet to have anyone look beyond the image produced by my Lumia or HTC One to talk about how much better my Schnauzers would look if I used more megapixels. In real life, it doesn't happen. I'm not going for the Oscar in photography after all, these are my family and friends looking at my life in pictures. Attempting to squeeze more out of that is straight up grandstanding.

I'm a realist. While a riposte of cores is fun on paper, in reality it means not very much when the person behind the phone has no concept how to utilize it. Not many do, especially those that use android.

For proof, just ask the average joe with an android phone how they like their phone. Most will say they like it. Then ask how many megapixels their phone has or cores for that matter. They won't have a dang clue. Which is why iphone will remain at the top of the stack for some time to come. Its a good phone but it has a great ecosystem. That's what iphone owners know and they are good with that. Android doesn't have much of an ecosystem and truth be told, our ecosystem, looks like theirs.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I haven't got massive hands, but the 1520 is fine, you just work it differently.

And I don't care what it looks like when I am on the phone as I can't see it :wink:

And as to ecosystem, if by that you mean how the various devices work together, all I can say is Apple stuff must be really impressive if ours isn't, I can pretty much share everything between all my devices and all our family at home or living away, I download music it's on everything, I write a word doc, I can edit it on everything (OK I can't edit it on the Xbox One, well I probably could via the web browser but I do have a life to live) and share it.

My wife's sister has an iPad and was well and truly jealous of my wife's Surface 2, now I admit neither of them are techies, but she couldn't believe how good the Surface was and how it integrated with her phone, laptop and the Xbox One through OneDrive etc.

Bob

Last edited:

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I haven't got massive hands, but the 1520 is fine, you just work it differently.

And I don't care what it looks like when I am on the phone as I can't see it :wink:

Bob
Hey, if you can handle it... then it is THE best Windows Phone period. I say it twice.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First off.... you made an outstanding case for the L735 being the best overall WP if you made a checklist and laid all the WP's out side by side and seen which one has the most checkmarks. Even if other users don't agree, it is the kind of post that makes you see why MS sees these types of devices as more important to the growth of WP then top end devices. Even if we wouldn't want it, those that get it will find it a great experience for the price.

Secondly.... the poll options made me laugh out loud. Automatically, I like this thread.

:grin:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey, if you can handle it... then it is THE best Windows Phone period. I say it twice.

I tried for about a month to talk myself into getting the L1520. I KNEW it was going to be the bomb-diggity and the most amazing WP.

But...... 6 inch screen?? Just couldn't do it. I want a bigger screen then my L920's 4.5", but my wife had a Note (5.3") and I carried it for a day and decided that was about it for me in screen size. I didn't want anything bigger then that, nothing smaller then 4.8".

After getting her an LG Flex with it's 6" screen, I have zero doubt I did the right thing for me.

But I sure do wish it was about .8" smaller. It is by far the best WP out there. Most likely will be for the rest of this calender year, unless someone surprises us with something in the next month. Heck, it could end up being the Bomb-diggity until the middle of 2015 at this rate.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
A person doesn't need huge hands or big pockets to think the 1520 is the best phone.

That's like if I said that the 1520 is the best unless you have tiny hands or tight pockets. Does that sound fair to you?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
My only complaint with the OP's post is that you say the M8 has a horrendous camera, one of my friends has an HTC One M8 and it has a pretty good camera.

Oh and the front facing selfie shooter is also the best I've seen. ;)

1412438336985.jpg

But yes apart from that the 730/735 is worthy of being called the best Windows Phone, I just hope it sells well.

1520 is worthy of a mention as well, if you don't mind the screen size that is but apart from that the 1520 is the zero compromise Windows Phone.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
A person doesn't need huge hands or big pockets to think the 1520 is the best phone.

That's like if I said that the 1520 is the best unless you have tiny hands or tight pockets. Does that sound fair to you?
Yeah.... kinda... It goes in your hands and pockets right?

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have 1320, I recommend it to anyone who finds my phone not big enough, if anybody thinks that 1320/1520 is a bit large, these phones are not for you. I don't have tiny hands, I can type on my phone with 1 hand but I don't always prefer it.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I have 1320, I recommend it to anyone who finds my phone not big enough, if anybody thinks that 1320/1520 is a bit large, these phones are not for you. I don't have tiny hands, I can type on my phone with 1 hand but I don't always prefer it.

Honestly speaking, the 1320 is a device that never appealed to me.

For the screen size the resolution is super low, causing the PPI to dip below 250 and add to that the rather weak hardware.

The camera and build quality also seem to be subject to discussion.

It hasn't received the best ratings from experts and sales have been far from great, the price in my country in around $310 off-contract which IMO is too much.

The battery life is nice though and I somehow like the design.

But in the end 1320 doesn't qualify to be a top Windows Phone.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Honestly speaking, the 1320 is a device that never appealed to me.

For the screen size the resolution is super low, causing the PPI to dip below 250 and add to that the rather weak hardware.

The camera and build quality also seem to be subject to discussion.

It hasn't received the best ratings from experts and sales have been far from great, the price in my country in around $310 off-contract which IMO is too much.

The battery life is nice though and I somehow like the design.

But in the end 1320 doesn't qualify to be a top Windows Phone.

Only a 1320 user can answer this question. This is an excellent phone.

This phone has got good ratings from experts, the only downfall is camera, but it isn't that bad as people say it is. Its display is a lot better then many phones, as it has 720p display. Its a mid ranged phone, you can't expect everything monstrous in it like 1520 otherwise 1320s price would be skyrocketing

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

This phone has got good ratings from experts, the only downfall is camera, but it isn't that bad as people say it is. Its display is a lot better then many phones, as it has 720p display. Its a mid ranged phone, you can't expect everything monstrous in it like 1520 otherwise 1320s price would be skyrocketing

You don't quite understand, resolution is a number that directly ties with the screen size in turn leading to how pixel packed a display is.

Any display with a PPI of above 326 held at regular phone distance you will not be able to discern pixels, at least this what Apple claimed when they came out with iPhone 4's "Retina" display.

But as the screen size increases you need more resolution to keep up with it, *ESPECIALLY* if you hold the device very close to your eyes.

This is why a 720p 4 inch display would be great, but if you had a 6 inch or above with a 720p display, it would be below average display, terrible actually if you read a lot of text.

Just as an example some Android OEMs and Snapdragon are also pushing towards 2K displays on devices with 5.5 inch+ screens, which is a bit overkill.

But for a 6 inch screen, a 1080p panel is must, or at least a high enough resolution to get above 290 PPI which is still acceptable.

Sorry for complicating everything so much, just wanted to share this.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

The 735 has better cameras, wireless charging, more manageable design for the majority of people, much better display and is priced better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750