So, I conducted a survey on another forum regarding which OS they prefer their phones to run on.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that, well, Windows Phone actually came close to beating iOS at one point.
OhLookAtThis.png
So, your take?
(And, yes, this really is me, sheesh.)

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
18% is very good.

Its just a shame that isn't the worldwide figure. Imagine the apps that would be made if Windows Phone had that much marketshare.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. I believe that since they were on a tech site, they are tech geeks and they know about windows phone. Ordinary consumers may not know windows phone even exists because of poor advertising. Marketing is the way to go but that seems to be falling on deaf ears.

Edit: Wait what? 844 posts since 13 August 2014? Or is the year the other way around?

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I think we're starting to see a slight shift in the culture of thinking that MSFT is,used to. We've spread seen WP overtake iOS in some European markets, and is close to 5% in the US. I think as Windows 10 comes more into fruition with Cortana and other mobile centric features people will see the benefits of WP as MSFT fully implements their mobile first vision.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I believe that since they were on a tech site, they are tech geeks and they know about windows phone. Ordinary consumers may not know windows phone even exists because of poor advertising. Marketing is the way to go but that seems to be falling on deaf ears.

Edit: Wait what? 844 posts since 13 August 2014? Or is the year the other way around?
This is a site for gaming. A lot of them don't really care what OS their phone runs on, as long as they like it: i.e. They're open-minded.

And, it seems a lot of them tried WP and liked it.

Also:
Capture.PNG

I swear, Muessig is going to be so mad at me for this.

anon(9122125)

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
So, I conducted a survey on another forum regarding which OS they prefer thei...

I'm considering to move from my old iPhone4 to a Lumia 930 instead of a new iPhone. I advised my mom to buy a Lumia 925 and she loved it.
I'm worried about what I have seen on Windows 10 presentation. Even if they have not shown a mobile device, i seems to me they are losing the focus on mobile experience.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: So, I conducted a survey on another forum regarding which OS they prefer thei...

I'm considering to move from my old iPhone4 to a Lumia 930 instead of a new iPhone. I advised my mom to buy a Lumia 925 and she loved it.
I'm worried about what I have seen on Windows 10 presentation. Even if they have not shown a mobile device, i seems to me they are losing the focus on mobile experience.

Although I'm a little concerned what will happen. I think it will work out. Everything I read about Satya Nadella he says Mobile first Cloud first. I also love the idea of 1 Os running on everything. It just needs to know how to adapt to each scenario.

Didier3001

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: So, I conducted a survey on another forum regarding which OS they prefer thei...

Windows 10 is in very early stage. The most two important features have not yet been implemented:
1. Continuum mode to switch from tablet to regular pc: http://tabtec.com/windows/windows-10-continuum-mode-2-1-devices-video/
2. One store for all devices

Before you move to windows phone I would advise you to verify that the most important apps that you use are available. Sometimes you will need to use a different one that does the exact same things or even better.

For example I was always trying to find multiple apps for bus, train, metro timetable for different country / city when I was travelling and most of the time the app did not exist on WP and I was not happy about it. Then one day I found Nokia here transit and it changed everything. One single app to get real time information on public transport for all countries / cities I visited so far and it's brilliant. That's why sometimes you just need to think differently.

All Nokia apps are brilliant and most Microsoft apps are very good too. After few android devices and one iPhone I really enjoy my Windows Phone. Mainly for the camera but also because it's very stable and I love live tiles and Cortana

anon(9122125)

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I really liked Windows Phone, altough I never had one. I have researched and I don't think I'll be missing any app. Cortana is a problem, since it does not work in Brazil, where I live. Siri does, not in portuguese, but it works with no need to change the region in my configs.
But, what I'm really worried about, is that they come with a new Windows unified OS, that works with desktops and notebooks and mobile devices, but is not good for any of them. That's what usually happens when you don't focus. I think 2 versions of Windows, like we have today, with good integration, would be better.

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Man, as a brazilian here, don't worry to much. You can set your location to USA and it won't do a thing to your phone. Only issue you will find is getting temp in Farenheit and distance in miles. Since I live and use Cortana in Canada, I get the metric system. If you have enough english to get along with that dumb assistance called Siri, you will be just fine with Cortana, specially because she has a "speach recognition" system designed for people with heavy accent.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
This. And I'll take it one step further. How many folks go in to a store open minded about upgrading their phone or getting one for their aging parent, or kid, or whatever. They ask the sales ****** about what they suggest and the rest is history. Even if they ask about a Windows Phone the reply is something like "Nobody buys them" or "don't get one they're not that good" or "There are too many problems with Windows Phone" or "there aren't any apps" or "it's complicated to use." All of which are bull**** answers, and until Microsoft and the Windows Phone community find a way to break their barrier, WP market share in the U.S. will remain at 3-5%

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Why would a store rep recommend WP to a customer, when no one knows where WP is going. No one knows if they are going to continue to manufacture only bargain spec phones or when they'll have another device with updated specs. Its a lot simpler and smarter to recommend an Android or IPhone, at least they'll know what they're getting. Only 39 percent of WP are running Cyan, and yet they are talking about a new OS, good luck with that!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Why would a store rep recommend WP to a customer, when no one knows where WP is going. No one knows if they are going to continue to manufacture only bargain spec phones or when they'll have another device with updated specs. Its a lot simpler and smarter to recommend an Android or IPhone, at least they'll know what they're getting. Only 39 percent of WP are running Cyan, and yet they are talking about a new OS, good luck with that!

Actually Microsoft never explicitly talked about Windows 10 for phones, only to answer a direct question whether that would be the next version of the phone OS.

Unfortunately, as has been posted several times here, people just cant seem to grasp that the W10 tech preview is an early look at the OS and its not finished, and Microsoft has not "lost focus" on their mobile platform. Wouldnt be surprised if some people are actually expecting the desktop to be included in W10 for phones, complete with taskbar and control panel......

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

For the most part, sales staff talk down Windows Phone, because they'd have to show how little they know about their job (& all devices), otherwise. (I did NOT say all sales staff !)

Let's see ' ... Oh, Windows Phone, uh ah I don't know ... '
and most consumers will take the salespersons word, because they don't know any better - even though most people distrust sales staff !

Makes NO freakin' sense to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon