Why doesn't Microsoft allow WP user to install Android apk files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samy Ibrahim

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Why Microsoft not allow WP user to install android apk file in their phone?
it will improve they market share as many people didn't buy the WP due to it's missing alot of app and games and please note that many companies make they app for android and iPhone even windows PC but they didn't want to make version for WP.
Thanks. And sorry for my bad English.😊

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Your English isn't bad.

The whole idea of getting Android apps to earn marketshare isn't a silver bullet, it'll be a frustration that may force existing Windows Phone users back to Android.

If a Windows Phone user doesn't have an app, he'll learn to deal with it. But the frustration that would come with downloading an .apk, updating it manually every few days and the crashes that would come with the apps being unoptimised.

On the other hand if Microsoft allowed an Amazon App Store or some of the other stores that have .apks, that could be a better move.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There were actually rumors of WP running Android apps awhile ago, but they turned out to be just that, rumors.

They can look to BlackBerry as an example, although I doubt whether the decision to run Android apps is the reason they are where they are now. In fact, it could have slowed the fall, but we don't know one way or the other.

For WP, I don't think it would be a good decision. Because of OS restrictions, a lot of the apps wouldn't have worked properly anyways (at least pre WP8.1), compromising the experience.

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
At first I really didn't want Windows Phone to run Android apps, but now after seeing the lack of quality+updates, I really want that to happen.

Soulstream

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
We can use BB as an example and having the ability to run Android apps hasn't actually gained them any new marketshare. It's more of a way to make existing users not leave.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Having Windows Phone run Android apps won't guarantee that Android apps will run well. The performance could be poor, or there could be APIs that Microsoft cannot use that Android apps require. But if Microsoft were to allow Android apps to run on Windows Phone, why would any app developer bother to write an app for Windows Phone? That would be the worst thing that could happen to Windows Phone.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The Amazon store would be great for WP.

BlackBerry Passport is the first phone with the Amazon store pre-installed, and It's doing quite well in sales.

BlackBerry sold 2.4 million of units to end users in the last quarter, that's not bad at all compared with WP. They could take #3 in a couple of quarters if they grow more.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
There were actually rumors of WP running Android apps awhile ago, but they turned out to be just that, rumors.

They can look to BlackBerry as an example, although I doubt whether the decision to run Android apps is the reason they are where they are now. In fact, it could have slowed the fall, but we don't know one way or the other.

For WP, I don't think it would be a good decision. Because of OS restrictions, a lot of the apps wouldn't have worked properly anyways (at least pre WP8.1), compromising the experience.

I remember reading about it here on another thread a while back, probably during summertime; only thing i remembered it made alot of members on here very angry and upset, with some other members agree to it as well.

Heading over to crackberry and a handful of member mentioned about application stability issues of those running blackberry 10 with apps for android apk. I can only think that microsoft maybe doing something about bringing more good applications to windows phone.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Heading over to crackberry and a handful of member mentioned about application stability issues of those running blackberry 10 with apps for android apk. I can only think that microsoft maybe doing something about bringing more good applications to windows phone.

The 10.3.x updates really improves the Android runtime. The upgrade from jellybean 4.2 to 4.3 runtime really has fixed the delay in some key apps. I did a side by side start up of Showbox on my 10.3 against my wife's 10.2.1, and it loaded up really fast.

The purist are a strange group. If you can get a decent selection of native apps, a great email hub, and the only drawback is some android apps to fill in the gaps, then what's the big deal?

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Z30

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Personally I don't think running android apps will make msft any more desirable because if ppl wanted an android device they'll just get one. If you use BlackBerry as an example, then you know that android apps don't run the same on a BB device as they do on an Android device. I think Microsoft is better off bringing quality apps.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I can count the number of android apps I want to run on one finger. And I already have that one running in BlueStacks on my Surface Pro 3 so it's really redundant.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I need a few apps that aren't coming to the platform, for example Candy Crush, my bank's app, government apps, local newspapers apps, etc.. The Amazon store would solve most of my needs.

Now BlackBerry has better apps than WP, I would be worried.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I need a few apps that aren't coming to the platform, for example Candy Crush, my bank's app, government apps, local newspapers apps, etc.. The Amazon store would solve most of my needs.

Now BlackBerry has better apps than WP, I would be worried.

I'd be more worried if Android apps came to Windows phones, as developers would abandon the platform. If you "need" those apps, stop undermining the OS.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While running Android apps on WP might be great for the WP user, it would be a horrible business decision for Microsoft. It wouldn't draw Android users away from Android, and it certainly wouldn't influence developers to develop apps for WP.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The 10.3.x updates really improves the Android runtime. The upgrade from jellybean 4.2 to 4.3 runtime really has fixed the delay in some key apps. I did a side by side start up of Showbox on my 10.3 against my wife's 10.2.1, and it loaded up really fast.

The purist are a strange group. If you can get a decent selection of native apps, a great email hub, and the only drawback is some android apps to fill in the gaps, then what's the big deal?

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Z30

The only compelling reason to have Android apps on WP would be to run Google Apps on WP but since the Android runtime on Blackberry doesn't support the Google Services Framework and I doubt it would on WP what would be the point when about 90-99% of the most popular apps are on WP anyway:

Facebook
Facebook Messenger
Twitter
LinkedIn
Foursquare
Swarm
Instagram
Vine
Uber
Pinterest
Flipboard

Those are just a few of them on Windows Phone so using Android apps would be a desperation move for Microsoft, like it is for Blackberry. It takes time to build up an ecosystem, Android and iOS didn't have millions of apps overnight. Microsoft are doing the right thing by getting the apps on board as native apps in most cases and not resorting to methods that would see developers abandon the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)