Why doesn't Microsoft allow WP user to install Android apk files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samy Ibrahim

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I can count the number of android apps I want to run on one finger. And I already have that one running in BlueStacks on my Surface Pro 3 so it's really redundant.

I think that will be nice if we have BlueStacks running in WP as it working fine in my laptop but I asked them and they not interested in this time to make version for WP :cry:

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I need a few apps that aren't coming to the platform, for example Candy Crush, my bank's app, government apps, local newspapers apps, etc.. The Amazon store would solve most of my needs.

Now BlackBerry has better apps than WP, I would be worried.

You "need" Candy Crush? The only thing I'm missing my bank's app but its not a deal breaker.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The only compelling reason to have Android apps on WP would be to run Google Apps on WP but since the Android runtime on Blackberry doesn't support the Google Services Framework and I doubt it would on WP what would be the point when about 90-99% of the most popular apps are on WP anyway:

Facebook
Facebook Messenger
Twitter
LinkedIn
Foursquare
Swarm
Instagram
Vine
Uber
Pinterest
Flipboard

Those are just a few of them on Windows Phone so using Android apps would be a desperation move for Microsoft, like it is for Blackberry. It takes time to build up an ecosystem, Android and iOS didn't have millions of apps overnight. Microsoft are doing the right thing by getting the apps on board as native apps in most cases and not resorting to methods that would see developers abandon the platform.

What we are missing are :
Snapchat
Official YouTube
Candy Crush
Clash of clans and then I think that's the most needed apps done already. WP has come a really long way.

timmy95

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm running BlackBerry, and while some people don't mind running Android apps on their BlackBerrys, I preferably don't. I have a few, like Tapatalk for example and it works pretty good but there is nothing like a good native app. And the ability to install apk's on anything other than an Android phone is only a temporary fix.

Samy Ibrahim

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I can wait. I don't mind as long as we have native apps. If we did get Android apps I wouldn't use even one of them.

My dear I am not talking about Android apps I just need some app and I don't matter what is they extension if it .apk or .ipa or .exe noting that most of the app available for iPhone & Android and PC's but not for WP.

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
The sandbox approach like BlackBerry did is a band aid, not a sustainable solution. We should want quality native apps, not something running in a virtual machine.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
What we are missing are :
Snapchat
Official YouTube
Candy Crush
Clash of clans and then I think that's the most needed apps done already. WP has come a really long way.

Snapchat - Never used it but others do so fair enough.
Official YouTube - While Google continue with their mission of WP hate this won't ever happen.
Candy Crush - King won't develop for WP so I'm not interested in their apps if they aren't interested in developing for the platform I use.
Clash of Clans - Not really needed as we have Total Conquest which is pretty much the same game with a different name, not only that but AoE: Castle Siege is pretty good as well.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Your English isn't bad.

The whole idea of getting Android apps to earn marketshare isn't a silver bullet, it'll be a frustration that may force existing Windows Phone users back to Android.

If a Windows Phone user doesn't have an app, he'll learn to deal with it. But the frustration that would come with downloading an .apk, updating it manually every few days and the crashes that would come with the apps being unoptimised.

On the other hand if Microsoft allowed an Amazon App Store or some of the other stores that have .apks, that could be a better move.

Speak for yourself on going back to android. If I disappear from here, you'll likely find me on imore. :)

Paul Park1

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
The most foolish question I ever saw. It will eventually kill all WP developers and have to rely on Google forever. Plus, Android apps on WP?? Yuck

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Snapchat - Never used it but others do so fair enough.
Official YouTube - While Google continue with their mission of WP hate this won't ever happen.
Candy Crush - King won't develop for WP so I'm not interested in their apps if they aren't interested in developing for the platform I use.
Clash of Clans - Not really needed as we have Total Conquest which is pretty much the same game with a different name, not only that but AoE: Castle Siege is pretty good as well.
People want to play with their friends though. And people don't want to sacrifice their progress. Believe it or not. Nowadays these apps are deal breakers

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
People want to play with their friends though. And people don't want to sacrifice their progress. Believe it or not. Nowadays these apps are deal breakers

Total Conquest is available on ALL platforms anyway, if King don't want to develop for WP then users can't do anything about that can they. As I said with Google hating on WP for no reason we will NEVER see an official YouTube app.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Speak for yourself on going back to android. If I disappear from here, you'll likely find me on imore. :)

Like I said, it "may" cause Windows Phone users to switch to another platform because manually installing and updating .apks can eventually become frustrating.

pgg101

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Like I said, it "may" cause Windows Phone users to switch to another platform because manually installing and updating .apks can eventually become frustrating.

It's not frustrating at all. Amazon Appstore has a nice UI, and Snap (Google Play client) is really nice too. Sure you can't get Google services app, but the most important app, Google Maps, doesn't require Google Services.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Z30

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
It's not frustrating at all. Amazon Appstore has a nice UI, and Snap (Google Play client) is really nice too. Sure you can't get Google services app, but the most important app, Google Maps, doesn't require Google Services.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Z30

Read my original post. I already said that if they add a market, like the Amazon App Store then it wouldn't be frustrating and could "maybe" prove to be useful.

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
As I think about this more, I would be concerned about how jarring of a experience it would be. WP has a design language of its own like Android and iOS. And as soon as various design languages are in one OS it is a bit confusing.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site

I certainly do understand people switching platforms out of frustration, although to switch to a different platform such as blackberry os 10 and above or android; the option for manually updating and installing apk is still an option regardless of the switch. I also do understand that there are a handful of phone users that simply do not have time or are not willing to put effort into manual updating.

clvrbas

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I certainly do understand people switching platforms out of frustration, although to switch to a different platform such as blackberry os 10 and above or android; the option for manually updating and installing apk is still an option regardless of the switch. I also do understand that there are a handful of phone users that simply do not have time or are not willing to put effort into manual updating.

Its also a no guarantee that the app will work as smooth or proper. Ports and sandboxing is not always a smooth process. It would also limit any app that wanted to use google services such as drive for a backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05