10-12-2014 02:05 PM
162 ... 567
tools
    Windows Phone is a global product. Microsoft is focusing on the next 1 billion users who don't yet have a smartphone. And rightly so. That's where the next wave of growth will come from in the smartphone market.
    Google is also focusing on the next 1 billion users. And with their momentum and Microsoft's lethargy, I guarantee you that most of those billion users will buy Androids.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    10-12-2014 11:14 AM
    How on Earth this thread survived 150 posts is beyond me. WP does not begin and end with Nokia/MS.
    Exactly, The Windows OS for phones and phones manufactured by Microsoft are two entirely different topics. I think Microsoft would prefer to not manufacture much hardware. They are in the tablet and phone business because 3rd parties couldn't be counted on to make the quantity and quality of devices to run MS software. Being in the hardware business lets them take up as much slack as they need.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    10-12-2014 11:24 AM
    LoL, the funny thing is that OP has only 2 posts, which is less than 75 times number of comments in his thread.
    And people keep arguing :))
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    10-12-2014 11:44 AM
    I think the main issue that's happening now is that a lot of us have set the one thing we need aside, "Patience". Yes most other manufacturers release a new flagship every year and we seem to want Microsoft to keep that pace. Now it would be nice to have that pace but is it really necessary, NO. Microsoft is and will always be primarily a software company; now they will have the opportunity of releasing both software and hardware but they will always focus on software. They have confirmed their support for WP with the announcement of Windows 10 and the hardware side of the equation will require patience from everyone. WP won't die until Microsoft says so, Verizon's eol of the icon, a setback but not the end of WP.
    My advice is this, Patience is free, take and use as much of it as you can. If you've had your fill of patience, do your research for the next best thing to fulfill what you want.
    I did and ordered an iPhone 6 because my patience cup was over spilling!!

I don't believe Windows Phone is dead but Microsoft would be doing a good thing by giving some info on what is happening and when they plan on bringing out their next flagship.

Top end phones arnt made overnight and with their very recent takeover of Nokia I'm bot sure if they have had a chance to get to the drawing board, but saying that I believe they would have at least some drawings on what they would like. Its so difficult to design a phone these days, is there a design form that hasn't been made?

This is a transitional period and it will test the loyalty of the most loyal WP customers. Unfortunately for Microsoft I keep reading more and more of these threads, begs the question, are they reading them???
    10-12-2014 11:48 AM
    Google is also focusing on the next 1 billion users. And with their momentum and Microsoft's lethargy, I guarantee you that most of those billion users will buy Androids.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    Android is already saturated, 1-2% growth doesn't matter as it already has more than 75% market share. But due to very low market share, that 1-2% matters a lot for WP. Billions are already using Android, & many android users have turned to others OSes. As Android has saturated the smartphone market share, big companies like Samsung are going into loses now, I don't see how billions would still buy Android.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    10-12-2014 12:16 PM
    1-2% growth doesn't matter
    Do you have any idea how many individual users that 1-2% growth represents? Of course it matters.
    10-12-2014 01:14 PM
    I am relatively new to WP, got a 1520 about 4 months ago. Personally this debate has been interesting at times but it always seems, as it does with blackberry, that the only real differentiated issue between WP/BB and iOS/android is apps. Well I'm not a software engineer nor a computer scientist, but it seems to me that the one, easy to say and I'm sure difficult to implement, solution would be to make WP capable of running iOS/android apps. I mean the phones out there now have some ridiculous processing power, is it that hard to make an ios emulator run along side windows? Probably not an original idea, but hell it would prove to be a disruptive technology.... making the one powerful distinction between brands irrelevant to the decision making process.
    10-12-2014 01:24 PM
    I see a lot of comments suggesting that people should just sit back and wait until next year, when Windows 10 arrives, assuming that somehow, it fixes the issues that ail the platform. What's the incentive for anyone to wait? So far, no one has an answer.
    EssThree likes this.
    10-12-2014 01:24 PM
    I see a lot of comments suggesting that people should just sit back and wait until next year, when Windows 10 arrives, assuming that somehow, it fixes the issues that ail the platform. What's the incentive for anyone to wait? So far, no one has an answer.
    So you'd prefer we do the alternative? Lets ***** and moan and act like we are the only relevant users; predicting the end of an entire platform because it doesn't exist the way we want it to exist in our own naive paradigm? Cause that's all it is. Our own selfish agenda as to what and how the platform should be or not. Ask yourselves this question? When was Windows Phone 8.1 officially launched? A couple months ago.. When was the new flagship for WP launched? A few months ago... Additionally, yall are expecting a platform to,move as quickly as other well established platforms that had ample time to streamline their refresh cycles? One of them with a literal army of third party OEM support? Like I said.. Have some patience. Stop expecting WP to operate like Android and or iOS. I think that has a lot to do with some of the doom and gloom posts. Yall are eating oranges but expecting it to taste like apples.
    Karthik Naik and Donny James like this.
    10-12-2014 01:41 PM
    i like how stupid rants and doomsayers who love other platforms will come here and make silly statements such as app situation etc which is no longer true and how they think US is the largest market for phones etc
    people need to get over such things,theres the rest of the world in which US ranks 7th and theres no app situation for most of us,especially since most Indian apps are available on windows phone and other platforms
    fatclue_98 and Donny James like this.
    10-12-2014 02:02 PM
    Android is already saturated, 1-2% growth doesn't matter as it already has more than 75% market share. But due to very low market share, that 1-2% matters a lot for WP. Billions are already using Android, & many android users have turned to others OSes. As Android has saturated the smartphone market share, big companies like Samsung are going into loses now, I don't see how billions would still buy Android.
    Because those who use them want better too. People buy what they can afford and what they are used to.

You have to remember that cellphones are disposable and the market is still dynamic.

While low end phones are needed, flagship phones are what drives the masses desires. As new and exciting Androids become available and marketed those who are using them will continue to buy new.

While low end Windows devices certainly draw from those on the low end Android devices it's not having as a much effects drawing from the high end markets.

The reasons why people choose Android over the other platforms are many. Even though it has faults the platform offers choices for those who want them. If Microsoft wants the same market share they have to offer the same or better plus correct the major faults getting top end devices out. Android fans aren't like IOS fanatics because most know hardware matters and like the fact that they can buy the device that fits them from the smallest and cheapest to the largest and most expensive. They aren't as limited as they are with Windows or Apple.

Windows has to have excitement not boredom. They have to offer more choices and offer a better experience on all of those choices.

People here forget this because they like how things are with the platform but the majority of the world disagrees.

We all hope that the platform does survive but if things don't change to give the people who aren't on it what they want and need, then they can't expect it to grow. Focusing on just the low end or on the midgrade end isn't going to cut it.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App
    Karthik Naik and TonyDedrick like this.
    10-12-2014 02:04 PM
    I don't think we need to discuss or drive this anymore.
    Let's place our focus on helping the members of WPC improve the mobile experience.

Thank you!
    Closed
    10-12-2014 02:05 PM
162 ... 567