I think Windows Phone is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(8763253)

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree I don't see the point in staying with windows phone I know the hardware will always improve but that's not what I want.. All I want is some decent fully featured apps.. All the apps I use are missing features when compared to android or iOS

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree, Windows 10 is a sign of that, the Modern UI was practically removed.
Probably Microsoft will concentrate their efforts in the enterprise market where Windows is still relevant, and use iOS and Android to distribute their apps and services for consumers.

Sent from my GeForce7050M-M using Tapatalk

Did you even watch the video, did you even read the news? The Modern UI has just moved to tablets, Hybrids, Phones and Xbox One. Hell you can still get it on Desktop PCs too.

This thread is based on pure ignorance. Please do some solid research before posting nonsense like this. We really need a thumbs down button in here.
If WP is dead;
Why did MS buy Nokia devices and services?
Why are they going through the effort to merge WP and Win RT?
Why did they announce Window 10 will run on everything from Phones to desktops and IoT?
Why do we have so many MS partners signing up to the launch their own WPs?
Why did Joe Belfiore say Dev Prev for Windows 10 on phones isn't coming till later? If it wasn't coming they wouldn't waist the money to build it or announce it.
Why is MS pushing universal apps that make it crazy easy to build WP apps and Desktop apps alike?
Why did MS merge Windows and WP stores?
Why did they lower developer fees?
Why MS say they were working on 1020 successor?
A New Camera King? Microsoft to Work on a Lumia 1020 Successor : My Nokia Blog
Why Why Why?

If you ask me focus right now is on Windows 10 the universal OS. And I'm a casual reader and I know this stuff c'mon people lets use some common sense. MS is using Windows PCs and XBox One to push people to WP.

Last edited:

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree I don't see the point in staying with windows phone I know the hardware will always improve but that's not what I want.. All I want is some decent fully featured apps.. All the apps I use are missing features when compared to android or iOS

Windows Phone has had an app problem since forever. So why did you come to windows phone? You waited until now to fuss and wine about it?

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that Nokia's Devices & Services loses a lot of money each quarter, so It could be worst if they stay in the business. Better sell the assets to an Android OEM and recover a part of the investment.

Android OEMs are loosing money like a gusher, haven't you seen the latest financial reports from Sony and LG and HTC? Only Samsung is making money and their profits are down too.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree msft failed their phone business. They take Nokia with them down too. If Nokia have used Android instead of Windows Phone or insist on MeeGo, everything would be different now and much better than the current situation.

If Nokia had used Android or MeeGo they would be out of business right now. Again, All Android OEMs except Samsung are loosing money on Android and Samsung's sales are decreasing. Meego needed too much development and would have caused Nokia to loose even more money. Read the news.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
This is a bad time for Windows Phone because it seems like nothing is being released as Microsoft appears to be gearing up for WP10. However, the problem here is that we don't know what is going on behind the scenes. As Microsoft controls the software, hardware and even manufacturing, it is possible that they could release a new phone soon that nobody saw coming. Even apple cannot match that level of product line secrecy.

Or, they could be sitting on their hands until WP10 comes out. Who knows. But it isn't as simple as Microsoft is done. Your only evidence that Windows Phone is failing is that Verizon isn't selling a larger phone. Verizon is clearly ambivalent about Windows Phone as we recently discussed, since they decided to can the Icon from their shelves only a few months after putting it on sale.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you, but there is a flip side to the idea. Microsoft might have been after whatever patents came with the deal, like Google with Motorola. Or, buying the devices division might have been the cheapest and/or easiest way to get out of the contract Microsoft had with Nokia.

MS made 1 billion off of Samsung last year and you think paying 7 Billion is cheaper? No. They Bought Nokia D&S so they could keep WP alive.

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure everyone thought that about android and Iphone? I mean how many phones can we own? Apple only bring out 1 a year. A phone should Last for a while before we get board and not weeks or months.
If Microsoft brought out a new phone every month.......idiots would still moan!

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Android OEMs are loosing money like a gusher, haven't you seen the latest financial reports from Sony and LG and HTC? Only Samsung is making money and their profits are down too.

Apple, Samsung and Lenovo are making money, probably Huawei too.

HP bought Palm and just couple of quarters later everybody already knew that It was expensive mistake.

Windows 10 killing the Modern UI is just the perfect sign of the times to come. Microsoft has a big advantage over Apple and Google in laptops and hybrids, and in precisely those devices is killing the Modern UI.
So, do you expect Modern UI to thrive in the phones and tablets where Android and iOS have a huge advantage? Nobody is buying Windows phones and tablets, with Windows 10 the platform is dead.

Microsoft is done in the consumer market, they will focus in the enterprise.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I think instead of MS being solely responsible for releasing hardware for WP it needs to be other OEMs too. Check it, LG G3 with Windows, awwwwwe snap! Look how MS built in features into WP Os for HTC One M8 for the dot view case. Windows Phone is not dead relax. And stop all this doom and gloom.

Apple, Samsung and Lenovo are making money, probably Huawei too.

HP bought Palm and just couple of quarters later everybody already knew that It was expensive mistake.

Windows 10 killing the Modern UI is just the perfect sign of the times to come. Microsoft has a big advantage over Apple and Google in laptops and hybrids, and in precisely those devices is killing the Modern UI.
So, do you expect Modern UI to thrive in the phones and tablets where Android and iOS have a huge advantage? Nobody is buying Windows phones and tablets, with Windows 10 the platform is dead.

Microsoft is done in the consumer market, they will focus in the enterprise.

Well I guess the writing is on the wall for you then. Peace!

Did you know that the money MS makes on Android patents alone is more than enough the keep WP and XBox afloat? Well now you do.

Last edited by a moderator:

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Did you know that the money MS makes on Android patents alone is more than enough the keep WP and XBox afloat? Well now you do.

Microsoft is not a charity, so throwing the money they make on Android patents out the window is not a good idea.

I think is more reasonable to distribute dividends to shareholders, buyback stocks or invest in profitable projects in which they have an advantage.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Rodan: Microsoft is hardly killing the Modern UI. We have seen one early build of Windows 10 that was geared towards an enterprise market. So to presume that this early build of Windows 10 means that Metro is gone and Microsoft is abandoning the entire idea is presumptuous at the least. Microsoft will display tablet and touch first Windows 10 at a later date, and I think it is reasonable to expect that the interface will more closely resemble the Windows 8 start screen than what we've seen so far with Windows 10.

And to say that Microsoft should take the patent money from Android OEMs and do dividends will only make stockholders happy. This goes further towards your decidedly glass-half-empty approach to Microsoft to say that they cannot (and are not) making any money from Windows Phone.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Rodan: Microsoft is hardly killing the Modern UI. We have seen one early build of Windows 10 that was geared towards an enterprise market. So to presume that this early build of Windows 10 means that Metro is gone and Microsoft is abandoning the entire idea is presumptuous at the least. Microsoft will display tablet and touch first Windows 10 at a later date, and I think it is reasonable to expect that the interface will more closely resemble the Windows 8 start screen than what we've seen so far with Windows 10.

I agree, the problem is that sales of Windows phones and tablets are insignificant.

And to say that Microsoft should take the patent money from Android OEMs and do dividends will only make stockholders happy. This goes further towards your decidedly glass-half-empty approach to Microsoft to say that they cannot (and are not) making any money from Windows Phone.

Microsoft's mission by definition is to make stockholders happy, maximize their benefits.
It's not my glass-half-empty approach, I think a few more people agree with that.

Sent from my GeForce7050M-M using Tapatalk

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Rodan: Microsoft is hardly killing the Modern UI. We have seen one early build of Windows 10 that was geared towards an enterprise market. So to presume that this early build of Windows 10 means that Metro is gone and Microsoft is abandoning the entire idea is presumptuous at the least. ...

It's actually extremely presumptuous. Even though MS stated this announced is geared towards the enterprise and the consumer version announcement will come later, we still get people like this spreading doomed and gloom because of their short memory.

Microsoft is not a charity, so throwing the money they make on Android patents out the window is not a good idea.

I think is more reasonable to distribute dividends to shareholders, buyback stocks or invest in profitable projects in which they have an advantage.

How is this a seen as a charity? You use the money you make off of your competition to fuel a product your building to compete with your competition. It's seems more like a slap in the face to the competition. They better they do, the better WP does.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been a huge promoter of Windows Phones since I bought my 810 from T-Mobile 2 years ago. Friends and colleagues I showed it to loved it. A few even switched from the iphones/androids to Nokia Lumia. But now I see the writing on the wall. T-mobile EOL'ed my 810 about 60 days after I bought it. I didn't mind. I still loved the phone. But for the last 10 months, I've eagerly wanted a larger Lumia. I've been patient, but now with the news that Verizon has stopped carrying the Icon, and MS completely silently as to any new flagship phones on the horizon, I personally believe they're getting ready to bail out of the hardware and phone OS system completely.

Sure, they'll still make apps for the competition, Cortana will eventually end up on the X1 and pc ecosystem, possibly even as an option on android and iphone. But I really think all of us current Windows phone owners are really just owners of "Zunes" at this point. I would love to be proven wrong. But the silence from MS regarding any new flagship phones is deafening, and I think they're just waiting to announce the death . Rip Windows Phone Ecosystem.

Wow, first post is a pronouncement of doom. You also claim to be a T-mobile customer but are complaining about VZW retiring a phone. Why am I inclined to not take this post seriously?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I've been a huge promoter of Windows Phones since I bought my 810 from T-Mobile 2 years ago. Friends and colleagues I showed it to loved it. A few even switched from the iphones/androids to Nokia Lumia. But now I see the writing on the wall. T-mobile EOL'ed my 810 about 60 days after I bought it. I didn't mind. I still loved the phone. But for the last 10 months, I've eagerly wanted a larger Lumia. I've been patient, but now with the news that Verizon has stopped carrying the Icon, and MS completely silently as to any new flagship phones on the horizon, I personally believe they're getting ready to bail out of the hardware and phone OS system completely.

Sure, they'll still make apps for the competition, Cortana will eventually end up on the X1 and pc ecosystem, possibly even as an option on android and iphone. But I really think all of us current Windows phone owners are really just owners of "Zunes" at this point. I would love to be proven wrong. But the silence from MS regarding any new flagship phones is deafening, and I think they're just waiting to announce the death . Rip Windows Phone Ecosystem.

This is your brain on drugs.

MicrosoftCoreFan

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
If that is the case, then why did Microsoft go through the trouble of buying Nokia?? I don't believe they would do something like that just to give up on the idea of Windows Phone. Does WP have the traction that I think it deserves?? No, of course not, and, contrary to popular opinion, I don't believe it is through any fault of Microsoft's but, rather, the fault of consumers who "don't like it." They say that without ever having tried a Windows Phone (like how people KNOW that sushi is gross even though they've never tried it).

The lack of vision is the fault of people with no imagination because, since Windows 8/8.1 looks different than the icons and arrangement of icons on Android devices, iPhones and even the older versions of Windows, it must be bad. Windows is suffering under the weight of that ignorance, but I don't believe that they're even close to ready to throwing in the proverbial towel. I admit, they need more "sexy" devices like the 1520 (and some people may disagree with my classifying it as "sexy" because it's size is an issue, but try looking at the specs--processor, expandable memory, screen resolution and camera--and at the same time telling me that it wasn't a show-stopper when it was released) or the Icon because when I first learned about the 1520, I was drooling over it and HAD TO HAVE IT.

Yes, Microsoft needs more devices like that and just because the road map has changed (no McLaren anymore, and the Talkman seems to gave disappeared, too, along with several others) doesn't mean flagships aren't on the horizon. Those things are a big secret until they aren't anymore. I remember telling a Microsoft Store Sales Associate that I only wished the Surface PRO 2 came in magnesium instead of only the dark titanium--a statement with which the Associate agreed would be a good idea--but there was no such option so I bought the black SP2. A month later, the SP3 was announced and I was livid, but that's the way it goes. Good things are ahead for the WP enthusiast. However, until perceptions change, the gains will be minimal because they will only be within a dedicated and loyal group of users who are already onboard and, therefore, not noticed by everybody else at all. I just wish more people had some imagination and would give Windows a realistic shot instead of just ruling it out without giving it any real consideration. That, and people think Nokia is an uncool phone to have. Admit it, you know that's true.

Any time you tell someone you have a Nokia, you get a weird look or a comment about how this isn't 2001 anymore, or that they didn't know Nokia even still existed. Just this week, one of my best friends--a long-time iPhone user--after letting me know that he was going to upgrade his phone soon and was looking at a Samsung, also disclosed that I was the only person he knows with a Nokia. He made no effort to hide the condescension in his voice. That also makes me the only person he knows with a Windows Phone--which is the real salient point--and that's okay with me, but Windows deserves better. If people would just realistically give WP a second look, they would love it.

Oh well...I guess people won't consider something new, fresh and unique if it's too much trouble and if their friends will bristle at the mere suggestion of it. Until that changes, Windows Phone will be a distant third place and it really deserves much better, but I don't think it's going anywhere. Microsoft has really out too much time, effort and money into it to just walk away. At least, that's what I think. And it's what I hope is true, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I find it interesting that many people think Windows Phone is about to die because no new high-end Lumia has been announced. Most of these people don't seem to understand that the people who make Lumias, formerly Nokia employees and now Microsoft workers, have been through a rather rough two years.

Consider:
First, Nokia was desperately trying to fend off bankruptcy any way it could. Risky decisions were avoided.
Then, it was announced that Microsoft was buying part of the company, especially the part that makes Lumias. But there was a lengthy waiting period while approvals were sought and received, plans were made, etc. There was much uncertainty about what would happen when the sale was complete. Risky decisions were avoided.
Then, the sale did complete, and Microsoft put the division into reorganization mode. With layoffs, of course. And risky decisions were, again, avoided.
So now, finally, we're probably at a point where that division has enough stability to be really able to make some plans. Unfortunately, the development of the rumored new high-end phone was canceled, and the backup plan (whatever it is) hasn't produced results yet. But since Microsoft has owned the company for 6 months or so, this must be because Microsoft is killing Windows Phone! Uh-huh...

Then we have the people who don't like that there are suddenly lots of cheap Windows Phones coming out. This, of course, is because Microsoft (the OS people, not the Lumia people) did two things:
They made WP 8.1 so it could run on virtually unchanged Android hardware - all it needs is firmware tailored to it.
They made WP free to OEMs.

Gosh, low end OEMs can take their Android phones, slap together some firmware (with MS assistance), sell the phone for the same price as with Android, and make higher margins because they don't have to pay the patent royalties that they would with Android. And so, they're giving it a shot, and maybe this will bring some market share to WP, although at the low end where it doesn't really count. So, this is going to kill Windows Phone, too, because MS is too focused on this and the Lumia people haven't produced a new high-end phone, which of course doesn't matter much to market share worldwide, but is the phone that so many well-off people like the ones complaining want yesterday...

If this all sounds illogical, bear in mind that it's what I get out of a lot of the posts here. If I were trying to be logical, I'd leave out the sarcasm. Y'all have a nice day, now! :wink:

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Could someone please inform me what a "flagship" phone is? The way I see it, WP does not need to have the fastest processor etc because wp runs so good on lesser phones. As far as I am concerned the 830 is a great phone, icon is awesome, 1020 is awesome and 1520 is the best phablet out there.

No the specs are not on top, but they don't need to be unless people have small ****** syndrome. IF you NEED the top spec, JUST BECAUSE you need to re evaluate yourself.

Oh, one spec windows phone has over everyone else and its something that acutally makes a difference is photo performance. NOTHING comes close to Lumia phones for camera image quality. NONE>

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
i am not really agree with the original post, you are comparing android with windows phone, and are doing an big mistake, because Android do not offer the same user experience as android does and not the same as IOS does, doing comparison back to back

Windows phones runs incredible in an entry level phone as is the Nokia Lumia 520 no lags, no freezing, in android for get the same experience have to go to Samsung or other high end android phone to get the same worry free experience, , i have had 5 android phones all entry and mid entry levels and all being horribly slow and the experience if try of use again those phones is not the great experience of an windows phones in terms of reliability, speed , if well many developers do not want or refuse to work in applications for WP platform , i would say that is just not done the market to Windows phone, is right that the models that Nokia used to manufactuare could come with outdated processors and chipsets because Samsung almost every 6 months are launching an new product by example, but that is their business model and not the Nokia business model based in sell phones with great quality of materials and not give us the lastest Qualcomm processor , that is why just did an shy test with android made to the Nokia way which have not heard a lot of the x series of Nokia so looks that the attempt was not good.

the only mistake that s Microsoft doing is doing applications to android that is the mistake they are doing , because in fact apple have not done any of their applications for android and if Nokia or now Microsoft mobile wants do something should follow the apple way, no applications to your rival and also the updates be centralized and not depending of the phone operator, is like absurd wait a month to get released Cyan in Chile if suppose that the phones are universal, just works in any network.

Also i find an big mistake in stop of manufacture the 1020 without have an new upgrade for that model with same features or even upgraded processor and better camera yet , those mistakes to Microsoft could make that the rivals takes advantage of the gap left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb