I think Windows Phone is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan T

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Some of you have made valid points, but the elephant in the room that refuses to go away (aside from MS's silence on new phones) is that I have spoken personally to reps at Vz, ATT, and T-mobile and ALL have said they refuse to sell WIndows phones because they TAKE TOO LONG TO SELL. You can sell an iPhone or an android in a minute, but if the person isn't already familiar with the Windows UI, the sales clerk doesn't want to invest 10-30 minutes in conversation about a phone that they have personally told me they either hate or simply never invested the time to learn the UI. Now, if MS offered some kind of significant commission for each Win phone sold, THEN the retailers might care. But as it stands now, none of the stores I visited have any Windows phones on display or in stock. And THAT is the reason for my gloom and doom. I'm sure MS is aware of this as well. Whether they'll fix the situation or not is anybody's guess.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
is not the UI

just the people have stuck samsung as the biggest phone manufacturer and also kids which have born in 1992-1994 have never heard of Nokia , just have watched samsung-lg products and that is all the marketing strategy in Chile is none Nokia just now in the subway is showing the lumia 635 and 530 but before they did not any advertissement so the people will tend to think that Nokia just on 2014 started again to make phones .

the people which have choosed phones like the lumias just already known to Nokia , by example i had a Nokia 5190 so to me the brand was familiar, but if do an survey to younger people than 22 years old, to them is not familiar or even heard of the name Nokia.

an product is sold by the marketing strategy, if you do not show up the product would somebody knows about the product or even try out ?
, an product get famous when the enterprise do ads about it and show up the product in Chile microsoft have done no ads about Windows Phone and in fact i knew about windows phones due my twin brother which purchased an Nokia Lumia 710 there i heard about windows phone just i got stuck in windows mobile 6.5 , and neither about Nokia doing smartphones just the last smartphone that saw were the ones based on symbian and one that my mom had an 6210 navigator phone which i loved the gps and the maps precision.

the strategy of marketing that should take Microsoft oy is show up the strong points and do not start into stupid arguments which phone is better to me the best OS for smartphones is Windows phone later come IOS and as last Android

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Does nobody else remember how much Google struggled with Android at the beginning? That alone is enough evidence that MS can succeed here; Android had its own app gap and hardware failings and PR disasters. Think of this as WP's awkward puberty. Windows 10 could be the Windows 95 to Windows 8's Windows 3.1 (if those numbers aren't too confusing).

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Some of you have made valid points, but the elephant in the room that refuses to go away (aside from MS's silence on new phones) is that I have spoken personally to reps at Vz, ATT, and T-mobile and ALL have said they refuse to sell WIndows phones because they TAKE TOO LONG TO SELL. You can sell an iPhone or an android in a minute, but if the person isn't already familiar with the Windows UI, the sales clerk doesn't want to invest 10-30 minutes in conversation about a phone that they have personally told me they either hate or simply never invested the time to learn the UI. Now, if MS offered some kind of significant commission for each Win phone sold, THEN the retailers might care. But as it stands now, none of the stores I visited have any Windows phones on display or in stock. And THAT is the reason for my gloom and doom. I'm sure MS is aware of this as well. Whether they'll fix the situation or not is anybody's guess.

Unless you have visited a few thousand stores in different states, this statement really holds no wait. If this analysis is so true, then the sales numbers we see for WP would be drastically lower. And WP wouldn't have had over 100% yoy growth.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Does nobody else remember how much Google struggled with Android at the beginning? That alone is enough evidence that MS can succeed here; Android had its own app gap and hardware failings and PR disasters. Think of this as WP's awkward puberty. Windows 10 could be the Windows 95 to Windows 8's Windows 3.1 (if those numbers aren't too confusing).

Android had plenty of space to grow in the low-end. Now It's even harder, Android and iOS fill all the segments with good products, there is no space for a third platform.

I think you're right, Windows 10 use the same UI that Microsoft introduced 20 years ago in Windows 95. This regression is going to hurt the mobile efforts.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think you're right, Windows 10 use the same UI that Microsoft introduced 20 years ago in Windows 95. This regression is going to hurt the mobile efforts.

How do desktops having a UI that it's 1.5 billion people are familiar with have anything to do with their phones? If anything, getting people slowly use to using the Modern apps would be a huge help to their mobile efforts by making the universal apps available on WP too, thus helping close the app gap. I have no idea where you're going with this....

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I meant that Windows 95 was a huge success for Microsoft, especially in public perception. In that way, I think Windows 10 can be another Windows 95 in that Windows 10 will be a turnaround and a success.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I meant that Windows 95 was a huge success for Microsoft, especially in public perception. In that way, I think Windows 10 can be another Windows 95 in that Windows 10 will be a turnaround and a success.

I think a better comparison would've been "Windows 10 could help Microsoft with Windows 8 as Windows 7 did to Vista".

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Its done man its done. I agree with the OP

My carrier released an app for Android and iPhone over a year ago now. WP still gets no love.
My favourite sports F1 and MotoGP both have official apps for Android and iPhone. WP again gets no love due to very poor market share.
My bank has an app for WP but it was released during the WP 7 era and has never been updated for WP8/8.1

The market share is not increasing at a steady rate. Its basically fluctuating around a stagnation point in many markets.
China dont give a **** about WP
Japan dont give a **** either

MS are incompetant with marketing and basically offer no hope of ever gaining decent market share with WP. They cannot even crack 10% worldwide which is pitiful in comparison to Android and iPhone. The platform has been around for quite sometime and quite frankly this level of support is all we can expect to see from MS.

Windows 10 won't fare any better if MS continues with its pathetic marketing efforts. People need to look at the trend to really get a clue as to how dismal WP has fared since it was released. The only people stickin with WP are current users.
WP fails to attract any significant percentage of users from Android or iPhone and thats not going to change for a very long time.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has no problem buying companies for their IP, then s**tcanning the rest of the company. Ask any Danger ex-employee how it works out.

This would make complete sense if MS had actually acquired any of Nokia's patents, but they did not. Nokia's IP remains with Nokia. MS just has a license to use it.

If MS bought Nokia for the patents, then they just spent 7bn for nothing.

However, I don't think MS purchasing Nokia says anything about MS' commitment to WP either. That was then. MS execs may think differently today.

Last edited:

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I started with WP with the launch of the Icon and I also now have a 1520. I think it is by far the best platform. My impression is that WP is slow to update their model lines (for example the 1020 is still presented to the public with a slow, 720p, outdated unit). I don't think they are done, but they certainly need an update schedule that would suggest they are a player.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
How do desktops having a UI that it's 1.5 billion people are familiar with have anything to do with their phones? If anything, getting people slowly use to using the Modern apps would be a huge help to their mobile efforts by making the universal apps available on WP too, thus helping close the app gap. I have no idea where you're going with this....

Hybrids were the key product category to improve the adoption of the platform, but now they will be shipped with the Windows 95 UI.

I don't see a good reason for Windows 7 users to upgrade. Probably the adoption will be higher than Windows 8's, but not great.

Modern apps look awful and alien in the desktop. A subpar experience won't increase usage.

The uninspired implementation of the Modern UI mixed with the Windows 95 UI, won't motivate people to buy the true Modern UI devices like WP and tablets, It's bad publicity.

Windows 10 will be perceived as the old, boring and complex OS that you have to use to run legacy Windows apps. It's not attractive for the consumer market.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
sigh another silly baseless rant
why dont people get what ms is doing here
by mid 2015 i think you will say google and apple are doomed(after windows 10)
windows 10 brings them a leap forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo