I think Windows Phone is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 84263

I believe the numbers speak for themselves.

Your biggest mistake is thinking that Windows Phone has enough features. Maybe for you it does, but not for everyone.

But Microsoft didn't, did it? So saying that Windows 10 will put Android and iOS in danger is totally irrelevant when we don't even know what Windows 10 will have for mobile.

Windows Phone is #3 with less than 5% marketshare after 4 years, not really a huge achievement if you ask, or anyone for that matter.

But we aren't talking about Nokia here, we're talking about Windows Phone and it's giant "comeback" that everyone speaks of, every single year.

Windows Phone was never on top, stop mentioning other OSes, it can't make a "comeback".

Can it grow? Yes for sure. But there is no comeback, when it was never popular.

thats just something android heads think and say
come back when chrome os reaches 0.5% and mac osx can be installed on regular pcs and the OS convergence thingy
in short MS's future is certainly brighter
dont come here to rant on baseless stuff if you dont have geniune points etc
if you love android so much,go to androidcentral(not being harsh but-1.you no longer have a WP ,2.you hate wp and like android 3. try to "convince/convert" people to android even when they say they dont)

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Nice post.

Yes, it seems that everyone is caught up in the dominance of Android and iOS like something the likes of them has never occurred before. They also are ignorant of the fact that BlackBerry and Windows Mobile were in very similar positions before those other Mobile OS' came into being. Who is to say that Android will remain tops forever, especially when a much more advanced and scalable version of Windows is on the horizon?

Just because they are in first place now doesn't mean it will always be that way. As Karthik Naik said, history proves otherwise.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I disagree.

It's just always those with the most extreme views that stand out. I think there are a lot of reasonable posts in this thread too, but as with all media, the reasonable voices are drowned out because it's the extreme views that get the most attention.

Human nature at work ...

except optimism is always welcome,the pessimists post vague stuff
im surprised soo many baseless rant and "doomsday" threads are on the rise this week,even though MS's future looks very bright
ive seen people post about geniune concerns etc but nowadays its just sad,vague stuff..

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Nice post.

Yes, it seems that everyone is caught up in the dominance of Android and iOS like something the likes of them has never occurred before. They also are ignorant of the fact that BlackBerry and Windows Mobile were in very similar positions before those other Mobile OS' came into being. Who is to say that Android will remain tops forever, especially when a much more advanced and scalable version of Windows is on the horizon?

Just because they are in first place now doesn't mean it will always be that way. As Karthik Naik said, history proves otherwise.

exactly MS has dominance in areas google and apple can only dream of-enterprise,xbox , PC etc
they also give patents and services licenses to apple,google etc so they anyways earn off android and ios,mac,facebook,yahoo etc as well
the one OS thing shows that people will just need to switch to windows phone to complete the ecosystem
chrome os is too featureless and inferior to even Ubuntu etc despite being a form of linux
android is terrible on anything other than phones (where its still pretty grim)-android laptops and tablets <<<macs,ipads,windows laptops,windows tablets overall except maybe nexus to an extent but lacks sd card slots and small storage

plot_almighty

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Don't pick up a mobile OS if you think its A) going to fail, B) swallow all the sensationalist/click bait articles proclaiming doom and gloom, or C) pick it up JUST to silence the crowd who would say you've never used it and justify your usage that way.

I'm so literally sick of seeing these threads. Why would you leave a mobile OS you know and love, and come bring this level of jeering to a forum full of enthusiasts and people like me who love their Windows Phones?

Windows Phones may never be on top. Do we care? Absolutely. Will we bring this level of negativity to another site? Doubt it. We know Android and iOS sit above us.

Last edited by a moderator:

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Maybe. I still really like the platform and I think it can have a place still in emerging markets and prepaid. However, I can't see it really taking off in the states in the higher end market, which is where a lot of money can be made.

Where would you go instead? Android? I wonder if most WP users here would go Android just out of some weird Apple spite.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

labsii

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I've been a huge promoter of Windows Phones since I bought my 810 from T-Mobile 2 years ago. Friends and colleagues I showed it to loved it. A few even switched from the iphones/androids to Nokia Lumia. But now I see the writing on the wall. T-mobile EOL'ed my 810 about 60 days after I bought it. I didn't mind. I still loved the phone. But for the last 10 months, I've eagerly wanted a larger Lumia. I've been patient, but now with the news that Verizon has stopped carrying the Icon, and MS completely silently as to any new flagship phones on the horizon, I personally believe they're getting ready to bail out of the hardware and phone OS system completely.

Sure, they'll still make apps for the competition, Cortana will eventually end up on the X1 and pc ecosystem, possibly even as an option on android and iphone. But I really think all of us current Windows phone owners are really just owners of "Zunes" at this point. I would love to be proven wrong. But the silence from MS regarding any new flagship phones is deafening, and I think they're just waiting to announce the death . Rip Windows Phone Ecosystem.

Well, you're simply biased by your own preferences. And you might be somewhat right if you consider yourself as the model for the market - it seems that Microsoft is at least temporary scaling down its Windows Phone efforts for people like you - buyers of the flagship phones. But that doesn't mean that Microsoft is abandoning Windows Phone, it is just trying to shift its resources where they yield better - low end of the market and mid market.

And to be perfectly fair, there are not too much reasons to recommend whatever Windows Phone flagship (even whatever conceptual non-existing phone) over iPhone 6 and 6 plus. Those phones are very good from every perspective and have the best app library. And there are lot of reason to recommend Windows Phones over cheap or mid priced Android phones. It is more reasonable to put finite resources into this part of the market where you have a noticeable competitive advantage.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree, Windows 10 is a sign of that, the Modern UI was practically removed.

You realize that the only Windows 10 that exists right now is a Technical Preview focused on desktop, keyboard/mouse users, right?

You further realize that Windows 10 on the tablet and other touch-based devices will not use the default interface on Windows 10, right?

Beyond that, you realize that the majority of the Windows 10 Start Menu is, in fact, a Modern UI launch pad, very much like the Start Screen, yes?

And finally, you realize that with about three clicks, you can have the Modern UI Start Screen replace the Start Menu, right?

"Practically removed" is just about as much of a misrepresentation as one can make, I believe.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
the big problem of microsoft with WP or whatever is called now is called marketing , also is too centered in the United States markets, in fact Microsoft or even Nokia have never done any advertissement or even Microsoft do not have even made an effort for make things be same as Android or IOS, specially their market, WP store is centered and co depend of my carrier for purchases and ie in Chile only 1 carrier offer the ability of purchase WP apps in the market and get charged in the bill of the phone the application that you purchased, also some services of windows Phone only are avalaible in the United States like Cortana by now do not speak any other language than English and are over focusing in the Indian market but are forgetting the rest of the markets, for what say about Local Scout which do not exist in Chile in my phone,and mix radio i wish have fully but not avalaible the service for Chile or other countries in the list that they offer.

if wants Windows Phone or Microsoft cause real damage to Google and IOS is very easy, start to make the same services in the whole market of other countries, improve bing services, and start to offer and improve services quality, IE in Chile is not Local Scout because bing is unable to know where is near an supermarket or a park, and if they will bring to us Cortana with half capabilities that have in the USA then would cause shrink the market share (i have done an mistake in put marketplace) of WP. also i wish an direct support by Nokia or Microsoft and an formal place to get original accesories to my phones, in Chile is the main shopping centers is an samsung store where even can get accesories to their phones LG have 1 office in Santiago and Motorola too have 1 too. also in the past till 2006 was an nokia care in the downtown Santiago but all suddenly they gone and nobody knows why happened that.

sell an product is not only the ads also is much more, have to set up offices and an direct relationship to the customer in fact i wish we have an nokia care office in here to get an extra battery to my phone and even more accesories or even know and purchase an new phone directly to them and not throught my carrier or phone operator. we just have the lucky that have the nokia phones due that Movistar Chile have an agreement of exclusivity to to bring to here the lumia phones also to O2 and other phone operators whgich they are owners in the entire world , also Claro have one agreement of even get charged the application purchase on your bill or discounted from your prepaid credit.

that is the problem with Nokia and Microsoft

the UI is not that complex and in fact my mom have 66 years old and i gave as present an Nokia Lumia 520 and to she is easier than android the UI i explained to her the things, and pinned the basic things like phone, contacts, calendar, messages and she is very used to this phone, so the alibis of UI is just an not valid reason if an person of 66 years old can get used with the UI then an young person can do too.

Last edited:

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
now I think that most people hate their phones! In short, I have two words for our community: OPTIMISM and PATIENCE!!
I love my phone, I'm just concerned about the next phone after :)
the UI is not that complex and in fact my mom have 66 years old and i gave as present an Nokia Lumia 520 and to she is easier than android the UI i explained to her the things, and pinned the basic things like phone, contacts, calendar, messages and she is very used to this phone, so the alibis of UI is just an not valid reason if an person of 66 years old can get used with the UI then an young person can do too.
My mum loves her 1520, first smart phone she's had where she isn't texting me for help all the time haha

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
is funny that ask for patience we been patient since windows phone 7.5 and 7.8 already Microsoft and Nokia do not have noticed this, then should fire to their advertisemment team or agency and also their marketing team because is planning bad their strategies, i would be glad if they call me to the team of Microsoft, i am accountant and also know a bit of international commerce too, lol

do not get wrong i like Windows phone later of try android phones and 1 ipod touch with IOS 6 i love Windows phone because just works and do not have problems , the problem in here is just the strategy of market and customer service of Nokia and Microsoft that is all

also my mom had before an Nokia 6210 navigator and she missed the GPS and well the lumia have the same GPS too so is she happy by the GPS and the never freezed phone when have to hang up her phone or answer an call unlike Android phones of basic to mid end ones which gets freezed

Last edited:

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
As someone who's used Windows Phone before and mostly sat on the sidelines I'm pretty disappointed with how Microsoft's managed it this year. Originally it seemed like there was a huge buzz around Windows Phone 8.1 about how it would change the game for Microsoft and would show that Microsoft is committed to the OS. Now that we're starting to come to the end of the year Microsoft has seemed to completely back away from Windows Phone as a whole and their recent acquisition of Nokia only looks more baffling than it originally did.

-It's been months now that people have been asking about new devices (Especially the AT&T/T-Mobile Crowd), we've seen numerous new flagship devices from other Manufacturers launch over the last few months (Hell even BlackBerry) and yet Microsoft is still as silent as they were back in May (When the US crowd had no idea if we were getting the Lumia 930 or not).
-The app situation is still pretty sub-par with Windows Phone still missing some critical apps (Like Banking/Payment Apps), and many of its other apps can only be said to be crippled in comparison to the iOS/Android versions of the same app. At this point it doesn't seem like Microsoft's taken any initiative to push developers to the platform.
-Marketing has been absolutely horrible especially in the face of the Juggernaut marketing campaigns Samsung and Apple go through, the only Windows Phone commercial I see occasionally is the one showing off Cortana, but even then it's completely embarrassing that they use the Lumia 635 in that commercial because they don't have a lot of high-end handsets to show off. In all honesty Microsoft's been really bad at marketing Windows Phone and I feel like the users of the platform spend more time trying to market it by showing the handset off then Microsoft has done themselves.

I see discussions around the web about how people think Windows Phone 10 is going to truly be the definitive moment for Windows Phone and how Microsoft will show how committed to the OS they are once it releases, but I've heard this talk before with the releases of Windows Phone 8 and then again with Windows Phone 8.1, and I can't say I believe it anymore.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I see discussions around the web about how people think Windows Phone 10 is going to truly be the definitive moment for Windows Phone and how Microsoft will show how committed to the OS they are once it releases, but I've heard this talk before with the releases of Windows Phone 8 and then again with Windows Phone 8.1, and I can't say I believe it anymore.

I feel the same way. If I hadn't seen the history of WP, I would have no doubt that Windows 10 is where things will take off. Common sense and reasoning would indicate as much. But like you, I don't believe it anymore. I'll only change my mind when I see it happening. We've been hearing it for the last couple years with almost every update. So far, nothing. The last year or so WP has actually been going backwards. In Q2 2013 it sold 8.9 million units. In Q2 2014, it was 8.0 million, a drop of more than 10%.

mokibrabrant

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
My first windows phone was the focus...........been with it a few years. And it was a mess. Really. Had a guy complaining about not being able to put a ringtone on his Lumia 1520.......damn. Are you kidding? It took about 5 seconds: Try that with the Samsung Focus: Yeah I did it eventually. Sure took a lot longer than five seconds. LOL......not to mention Microsoft didn't want there phones coming from Samsung with expandable memory, the windows phone. They wanted to nickle and dime you with proprietary memory cards. What a mess trying to expand the memory on the first generation Samsung WP. Yeah the system will always be funky for some.

But let's get real. Dead? Dying? On the contrary Windows phone is just beginning. And Microsoft is for the first time, I believe showing a dedicated and concerted logistical attack on the IOS, Android dominated Market.

And enter the Phablet. I have gone from the Samsung Focus to the NL 1520. Please point to a more complete phone. Irrespective of System. I was unfortunate that I have gotten a phone with a bad sd card reader. But I love the damn thing more than any other phone I've ever had. The Camera, and the available apps just on that score are quite satisfying. I've never taken pictures with a Camera that come close to those of these this phone takes and all the editing software is simply insane. Reading Web pages. Flawless Surfing. Quick, Snappy.........oh and did I say legible, daytime, night time?.............I could just go on for another hour. Love this thing. Have a prepaid shipping ticket for the repair of the sd reader. Can I have a loaner while it's away? LMAO. Dead? This animal is still dripping with placenta, alive taking it's first breaths.............it may be a monster.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Maybe. I still really like the platform and I think it can have a place still in emerging markets and prepaid. However, I can't see it really taking off in the states in the higher end market, which is where a lot of money can be made.

Where would you go instead? Android? I wonder if most WP users here would go Android just out of some weird Apple spite.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Once again the states isnt the biggest market out there you know,asia is the largest market followed by europe

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone is dead, in name only.

It should be named Windows Environment because the phones will be an extension of the desktop as well as the tablet and laptop.

People have mistakenly said that highend hardware doesn't matter, and they are wrong. It matters because to fully be an extension it has to be able to be a standalone device as well. Die sizes need to continue to shrink and memory needs to continue to be increased while the pipeline needs to be opened up even more so throughput increases. If these things don't happen then innovation stops and the future is denied. People understand and want better hardware.

We cannot accept complacency and must demand better.

Windows devices need to stop being boring. There will never be 10 million units sold like Apple... why??? Because there has been nothing made that has excited the people enough that they would be willing to stand in line for. YET......

Combine the power and usability of the desktop on a mobile phone device that truly excites people and the face of phones change forever. This isn't a low end device but one that far exceeds any built today.

A flagship device is one that is better than all others. It isn't using dated technology but the most advanced technology. It pushes the boundaries, not coast on last year's glory. It has the latest software and firmware and isn't waiting for a update.

Windows phones will eventually become like this or others will be first.

It's time for some real innovation and for new designs.

If they don't bother to show up to the fight the war is lost.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
you guys dont get it , do you
windows 10 is what everyone though 8.1 was going to be
now we have definitive proof that windows 10 is going to be an overhaul etc
so dont say 8.1 wasnt an upgrade from 8
you want proof of that,ask the Lumia Icon users who are without cyan/8.1

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Also WP is coming up with many updates, they are improving a lot. In 14 countries WP is #2 in market share. I don't see WP as a failure.
Many people changed their views about WP when WP 8.1 came out, many would change their views when WP 10 comes out.
I don't still understand why people see WP as a total failure

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Who cares if verison "considers" it obsolete? its a freakin awesome phone. My 1020 is over a year old and its the best phone I have ever used. I owned evrything from the "flagship android models" to the "flagship apple models" and the 1020 is much better than all of them. The 930 is awesome and mops up the ip6. You really are putting way to much weight in the "flagship" part,.....thats a marketing term made to sell the others crap phones to uneducated consumers.

the 930 will be a better phone than both samsungs and apple's SO CALLED FLAGSHIPS.

As for purchasing new phones. Just find a new unlocked version of any phone and buy it. pop your sim card in and enjoy. I never would buy JUST what my service provider sells now. All they had for windows phones at the time was the 520.

Hi and thanks for your response.

For your information, I do buy my devices unlocked and as things stand the 930 will probably end up being my next device, but it will not meet my needs. in one important respect.

In order to justify laying out so much, I want to see a significant improvement with each generation and I wanted to render my iPod obsolete. This requires either 128GB internal storage or an SD card slot and the 930 has neither.

I really think Microsoft need to give people like me a better option. We are, after all paying a premium price and flagship devices are important, because they help sell lower-priced handsets through a halo effect. Given the lack of availability of the M8 for Windows, the cancellation of the MacLaren design looks like a mistake, because HTC aren't meeting demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos