The Next Flagship

ManOfActions

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Ok I'm a windows phone 7.8 user. Proud owner of a Samsung Focus that I am still using today. In fact I am using it to write this post. I love my phone but it is old, 2010 to be exact so I need a new one. I read all the postings about the new phones and I really want a super phone to replace my Focus. I taught goldfinger sound nice, sure 3d phone sound like a gimmick but I don't see anything new announced to replace it. This is where I need your help WPC community. What is the next windows phone flagship? If I had a wish list it would be as fallow: cam ois, 41mp, 2/3GB RAM, 5.5inch HD screen, 32GB internal memory with sd card expansion, Qi wireless recharge, under 9mm thick, under 5 ounces weight, 2.500mAh battery, NFC, Qualcomm snapdragon 808/810 I know we probably wont see the 810 before next year but this is a wish list so it's my wish. I can't buy an Icon because I am not on Verizon and 6 inch is a bit too big. What should I do? Thx for the help

l33tuc

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Add glance to that list and I think you just described close to what everyone is waiting for from a Lumia flagship... Alas it doesn't exist, and there aren't even any rumours of such either. If you want anything close to that right now you have to compromise on something... Although overall the closest match would be the 1520... Otherwise get in the waiting line with the rest of us. :S

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If you need something with high specs then WP is not the answer, the LG One M8 seems to be the flagship. IF (and each to their own on that) you can and are willing to wait then next year with the release of Windows 10 a whole range of top end devices will hit the market. Tomorrow sees the release of Android Lolipop, its a reason for MS to worry as its targeting enterprise, complete overhaul and will make WP 8.1 look like a kids toy in comparison. I say this as i love WP and used my friends Galaxy S5 and it destroys WP in nearly every department. WP10 will be the one that takes the fight to Android, its far away though, MS know this and they most likely expect to lose more market share up to the release point.

Look, MS is changing, a lot of changes happening and takes time, they screwed up under Balmer and Windows 10 HAS to work and we have to wait. Don't want to wait? get an Android device off contract or the smaller iPhone 6 until WP10 is out and then sell the device.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
You pretty much just described a 1520, and you want a 5.5 inch screen and you say a half inch makes it to big. A half inch? I can almost bet you the next flagship will be a 6 inch phone.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You pretty much just described a 1520, and you want a 5.5 inch screen and you say a half inch makes it to big. A half inch? I can almost bet you the next flagship will be a 6 inch phone.

Everyone has a point where big becomes too big. A lot has to do with bezels and phone design. The L1520 6" is just unwieldy for some of us. Meanwhile, my wife's 6" LG G Flex is nowhere near as bad to handle due to it's curves and design. I find it still way too huge, but I could manage it.

So, sure- I could see .5" being a deal breaker. For me somewhere between 4.8" - 5.2" is near perfect, with a little room on the higher side if the design is right.

The L1520 is just a hard edged slab. If you do not want a Big Boned Phone, it is just not workable.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Everyone has a point where big becomes too big. A lot has to do with bezels and phone design. The L1520 6" is just unwieldy for some of us. Meanwhile, my wife's 6" LG G Flex is nowhere near as bad to handle due to it's curves and design. I find it still way too huge, but I could manage it.

So, sure- I could see .5" being a deal breaker. For me somewhere between 4.8" - 5.2" is near perfect, with a little room on the higher side if the design is right.

The L1520 is just a hard edged slab. If you do not want a Big Boned Phone, it is just not workable.

I have to agree, I've had a 1320 and currently using a 1520. I'd say they're just a little too big. I had a Galaxy Note 3 before and even though it was only 0.3" smaller it made a huge difference. It was a great size for handling and probably as big as I'm comfortable with and I have big hands. iPhone 6 Plus is also a great size in the hand.

jordanzhninja

May 4, 2014
Visit site
The next flagship will probably be either

Lumia 1030 or Lumia 1530.

HOWEVER: I don't think we will see either before Windows 10. I may be wrong, but they will want to have a huge flagship for the launch of Windows 10, and neither are coming this year. It would be a waste of time releasing the phone in January or February, and by March it would be too near the launch of the Windows 10 flagship.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Of course, a high-spec device as described above, and released this year but announced also as the first phone to get Windows 10 when it is ready, would really be nice.

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I disagree, the HTC phone may have good specs for an Android, but its low end camera keeps it from being near flagship standards for WP (much of the other HTC specs focus on performance, which is not a problem for WP as it is with Android). I was hoping to upgrade my L920 (which was the upgrade from my former Focus) with the McLaren, which looked great on paper, and was a manageable size (5"?), but when MS felt the 3D Gestures weren't ready, they decided to drop the entire device, so now we're waiting on the next flagship. I wonder if MS will release the Glance functionality outside of the Lumia lineup, or if they will hang on to it, as another exclusive feature to keep the Lumias on top of the competition.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Here is my idea for a flagship device. A mini-Surface Pro. All the same features and connectors as a SP3 but of course with a smaller screen. Magnetically attached keyboard cover, USB3 and video output ports, SD card slot, kickstand. Add an LTE radio chipset with SIM card slot and Windows 10 Pro with a Phone app. And a battery big enough to power the thing. Why can't we have one device that does everything?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786