Windows Phone Haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You could have easily said the same for the 1st iPhone. No MMS, no cut-n-paste, no 3G, no desktop sync except iTunes music and no apps at all. The store came well after release. How'd that phone line turn out?
Excellent point! I had all those features on the Nokia E62 except for 3G, and the E62 was released a year earlier than the original iPhone.

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone is gaining a lot of traction in the enterprise market. I see a lot of people who have a windows phone as their work device. Its pretty common for me to see people with WP on my commute these days. In fact I would go as far as saying it's uncommon that I won't see at least 1 WP every day. A year ago it was a very rare sight.

the app gap is still present, but it's nowhere near as big as it used to be. Most companies now at least have wp in their thinking when making apps, even if they do come late and without the same quality as the iOS and android versions.

the biggest improvement has been the feature improvements over the last year. I mean when I bought a windows phone, there wasn't even rotation lock or separate volume controls, let alone a notification centre. 8.1 was a big step forward and made it a viable option for lots of people, and convergence with Windows in W10 will make it even better.

On marketing, I think they need to stop these "honestly" infomercials. Just have some cool music, with pretty people taking pretty photos and using some cool apps and stuff. There isn't enough time in a 30 second advert to give people information about the logical and productivity advantages of a product. You just need to put windows phone in peoples minds by having a huge volume of short and simple ads.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone is gaining a lot of traction in the enterprise market. I see a lot of people who have a windows phone as their work device. Its pretty common for me to see people with WP on my commute these days. In fact I would go as far as saying it's uncommon that I won't see at least 1 WP every day. A year ago it was a very rare sight.

the app gap is still present, but it's nowhere near as big as it used to be. Most companies now at least have wp in their thinking when making apps, even if they do come late and without the same quality as the iOS and android versions.

the biggest improvement has been the feature improvements over the last year. I mean when I bought a windows phone, there wasn't even rotation lock or separate volume controls, let alone a notification centre. 8.1 was a big step forward and made it a viable option for lots of people, and convergence with Windows in W10 will make it even better.

On marketing, I think they need to stop these "honestly" infomercials. Just have some cool music, with pretty people taking pretty photos and using some cool apps and stuff. There isn't enough time in a 30 second advert to give people information about the logical and productivity advantages of a product. You just need to put windows phone in peoples minds by having a huge volume of short and simple ads.
Basically, kill the the honestly ads and hire a better advertising agency. Yeah. I don't think any ads could be worse than the honestly ones.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Basically, kill the the honestly ads and hire a better advertising agency. Yeah. I don't think any ads could be worse than the honestly ones.
Ya, I agree - the whole "honestly, i want to see you be brave" to me, just sounds like MS is saying, be brave and try our products, no one else is. That song belongs in a military commercial or some sports related ads. I always hated those ads - shouldn't need to be brave to try tech.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Its not your job to sell Microsoft's devices. Its their job. Why do you feel the need to shove windows phone down peoples throat you are no worse than them JW's thats come knocking on my door.

No where in his post does he try to do as you've posted. All he's saying is his disbelief in the attitude towards WP!!

WP8_Lover

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
The thing you are saying about smartphone sales reps is absolutely true! They are obsessed with Android more than the consumers. I have bought two phones, and both of em Windows Phones. Both the time, when I walked around showrooms, at least two sales reps pitched the "greatness" of Android to me.
When talking about people, they are just immune to change. But, the impact is slow and steady.
- Ardent fan looking forward to buy the third Windows Phone in a year :wink:

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)
  • Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It is our perceptions which determine if we believe others are haters or not. These types of threads are rampant on Crackberry also. Why doesn't everyone believe what we believe? At the moment iPhone and Android lead in popularity and, therefore, in the limelight. Windows phone and BlackBerry are only known well by a small population. It will take time for things to change.

I am new to Windows phone and just bought a 920. I like it so far but it doesn't have the range of apps, etc. my Nexus 5 has. That being said, I like the OS and where it is headed. I'm going to give it an honest try.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
That's not a myth, American cars are crap compared to Japanese. When I'm out traveling, and see a car broken down along the roadside, it's an American car. Every. Single. Time.

I guess all those Powers survey recipients are deluded. My Jeep Cherokee that I drove for 90,000 miles......starting with 124,000 on the odometer, never left me on the side of the road. My parents bought a new Toyota in 1984 and it was a total lemon. But bottom line and what I was trying to prove, is that's all about perception.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I guess all those Powers survey recipients are deluded. My Jeep Cherokee that I drove for 90,000 miles......starting with 124,000 on the odometer, never left me on the side of the road. My parents bought a new Toyota in 1984 and it was a total lemon. But bottom line and what I was trying to prove, is that's all about perception.

Exactly. Even if the OP isn't exaggerating, and they probably are, it only means it may be true in their tiny, tiny part of the world. Not scientific at all.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Semantics
My Toyota was assembled in the United States, it doesn't make it an American Car.

So I'll never read any post from you trashing Chinese phones or any product made in China, namely the iPhone. I mean, which is it? The design or the build quality? Can't have it both ways by lauding Japanese cars for superiority in spite of US manufacture while saying the iPhone is superior because of the wonderful engineering in Cupertino. Take your time, I'll wait.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree with all the people who say that Android and Apple are the current mega-brands and therefore they should be the brands the salespeople hype up, but when a customer comes into a store looking for a specific brand, when it's not one of the mega-brands, the salesperson shouldn't be going out of their way to diss on a perfectly good product and convince the customer to buy a megabrand.

That's blatantly favoring marketing over customer service. I'd rather have a salesperson tell me information I want to know, not company-biased sales pitches.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I agree with all the people who say that Android and Apple are the current mega-brands and therefore they should be the brands the salespeople hype up, but when a customer comes into a store looking for a specific brand, when it's not one of the mega-brands, the salesperson shouldn't be going out of their way to diss on a perfectly good product and convince the customer to buy a megabrand.

That's blatantly favoring marketing over customer service. I'd rather have a salesperson tell me information I want to know, not company-biased sales pitches.

Honestly all salesperson should assist the customer with their needs if they don't have a brand in particular. If a customer says I want to try something new well you got a Windows Phone or if they ask that they don't have anything in particular just need a "basic" phone that can go on the internet well then you got the lumia 520,630 etc... The salesperson shouldn't be a ****** to any operating system or brand.

You don't want the customer to come back with the device you sold and say it sucks or it's not what he was looking for.

RexdaleNap

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
People just don't know enough about it,

If microsoft position WP as the new triumvirate with ubuntu and firefox it can take the developing market.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
There are only three ways Windows Phones will grab over 20% of the market:

-A very slow painful crawl .25% a year at a time
-Create a phone so irrefutably revolutionary that nothing comes close and cannot be duplicated within a single generation of development
-Android AND iOS have several major major major blunders one after the other in the next couple of years and Windows quietly pulls ahead.

Vendors will not let this happen because money talks. Whatever makes money they will push. The Android/Apple fanboyism is just a product of this not the cause of it. Give them something they can make money on and they will change their tune. As of right now the biggest ace up Microsofts sleeve is the off-contract 5 series and 6 series. True the device will not make much money for sales people but at least they can make money on the plans for the phone. Flood the market with these suckers and I mean FLOOD it! The .25% crawl I mentioned above will be a slow but feasible path towards more market share.

Sadly we would miss out on flagship goodness with this strategy but if its just marketshare we are talking about then By-Any-Means-Necessary right?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There are only three ways Windows Phones will grab over 20% of the market:

-A very slow painful crawl .25% a year at a time

Using the rate you give here, it would take 70 years to hit 20%!

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the above post...

Microsoft should do something revolutionary... Something that other OEMs hasn't done yet or something that other people don't know that such technology exist.

How about a BEZEL LESS Lumia with 3D TOUCH? I just saw this Sharp Aquos Crystal on MKBHD's YouTube channel and it screams innovation and class. It's really unique. No other OEM has such design. The only problem though is that since it is bezel less, it will break easily on accidental drops...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077