Windows Phone Haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
how do you explain that an enterprise still doing their applications to the competence as Apple but to Micrsoft and their mobile OS is not doing anything, is not that an attempt of damage the free competence ,more if Google dominate almost the 98% of the web ? and the past actions like stop in the past of show google maps and later they had to stop of do it because many WP users yelled

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I don't remember sites like the Windows Marketplace being out before the iTunes Store. I do remember going to Handango for just about anything under the sun. Those were REAL apps, the kind that got work done!

Correct.

All of those other stores came after the App store.

There was a big fuss because people were used to getting "programs" from any site of their choosing.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm curious. How much of a marketing effort does Google make on behalf of Android? Don't tell me about ads by Samsung or Motorola or the other Android OEMs - I mean actual advertising by Google. I don't remember ever seeing one, but maybe I'm in the wrong place or something. I'm rather sure that Microsoft has spent far more on directly advertising WP than Google has on Android.

Personally, I think the major issue has been that the main partner OEM for Windows phones, Nokia, was too close to bankruptcy to market their phones properly. The other OEMs have never been into WP to take over the world with it, just to keep their feet in the door in case it ever did take off, and it shows in their marketing efforts (or lack thereof) for their Windows phones.

Marketing is a major product expense. It has to be justified by expected results. The kind of saturation campaigns that so many of you seem to want just aren't justifiable, as the payback is too iffy and too far out. I'm sure we can expect some changes with the introduction of Windows 10 and real Microsoft Lumias (as opposed to the current Nokia Lumias), hopefully addressing issues like bias by sales reps and targeting advertising to more markets. Heck, they may even come up with some decent ads eventually, too. Increasing Windows market share in phones is going to continue to be a slow, hard slog, though, in my opinion, because it truly isn't radically better than iOS or Android to be able to grab big sales away from them quickly. I think it's unrealistic to expect anything, whether it's new hardware or a major marketing effort, to change that.

Saw an ad this very evening during The Flash for android, not any phone, just the OS. And there have also been ads for google now and chrome. So where the heck is Microsoft's marketing for WP, the OS promoting kids corner (too late for that, Samsung claimed it), battery saver (Samsung again), OIS (new iphone ads), or even the one thing no other OS can claim, live tiles? Answer, nowhere, which is exactly where their smartphone and tablet OS's are now. They've had WP on the market for 4 years now (launched October 21, 2010) and they have effectively been unable to tell anyone about their platform. Its a massive failure on their part and they are wholly and completely to blame for WP's failure.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Well every ****** (iOS, Android, WP, BB) are the same... You know... Close minded, dumb people...

But Android fanboys are LITERALLY the worst everrr. They're like, "Oh we are the BEST! You suck if you don't use Android!" They are like those bullies in middle school... And they are everywhere!!!!

It is not iphone users zombies but android users are .i see literally everyone with an android.android in India has become ubiquitous.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Saw an ad this very evening during The Flash for android, not any phone, just the OS. And there have also been ads for google now and chrome. So where the heck is Microsoft's marketing for WP, the OS promoting kids corner (too late for that, Samsung claimed it), battery saver (Samsung again), OIS (new iphone ads), or even the one thing no other OS can claim, live tiles? Answer, nowhere, which is exactly where their smartphone and tablet OS's are now. They've had WP on the market for 4 years now (launched October 21, 2010) and they have effectively been unable to tell anyone about their platform. Its a massive failure on their part and they are wholly and completely to blame for WP's failure.

Sure, Microsoft is to 'blame' - it's their product, their sole responsibility. I'm just trying to point out that it's not as easy as some think to market such a product, and that marketing is a major expense that must be justified. I also think 'failure' is a very strong word to use for an OS that is still being developed, supported, and sold.

I have seen ads for Chrome, but they have nothing to do with Android. I am also now seeing ads for the Google Now app, apparently as a reaction to Microsoft's Cortana ads and Apple's previous Siri ads, and they don't seem to be as widespread as the current Cortana/HTC One for Windows ad. Although Google Now is shown on Android, they make a point at the end that the app is available for iOS, as well. I'll look forward to seeing the Android ads, but haven't seen any on the shows I watch yet.

sicunder36

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
i like windows user interface 100 times better than messier android (i hate smart phones and used to hate anything with a touch screen- some how i end up buying two) but i am not ever going back to windows phone - it's not the product but the company policy - not a single windows phone with a digitizer stylus even though windows invented digital ink and has the best handwriting recognition.

i think there is a big divide in philosophies between the sinister big profit oriented microsoft and it's benign kind child called windows- which has been transforming lives since it's inception across the world. microsoft has reduced windws phone to small xbox screens.

many people might think handwriting recognition and speech to text arent important if they come from technology ridden childhood with keypads and keyboard all around the house but i come from a third world country where we had what you may call analog upbringing with handwriting being the only way out and in from our closet of ideas. and my job as a doctor still heavily relies on handwriting.

that and also u can only view powerpoints in office 365 and not make one.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
i like windows user interface 100 times better than messier android (i hate smart phones and used to hate anything with a touch screen- some how i end up buying two) but i am not ever going back to windows phone - it's not the product but the company policy - not a single windows phone with a digitizer stylus even though windows invented digital ink and has the best handwriting recognition.

i think there is a big divide in philosophies between the sinister big profit oriented microsoft and it's benign kind child called windows- which has been transforming lives since it's inception across the world. microsoft has reduced windws phone to small xbox screens.

many people might think handwriting recognition and speech to text arent important if they come from technology ridden childhood with keypads and keyboard all around the house but i come from a third world country where we had what you may call analog upbringing with handwriting being the only way out and in from our closet of ideas. and my job as a doctor still heavily relies on handwriting.

that and also u can only view powerpoints in office 365 and not make one.

In all fairness, only the Galaxy Note series have Wacom pens so to single out MS for not having it is unjustified. BTW, there are those of us in the "first world" that rely on handwriting recognition. That's the reason I still have a Palm T/X that I use daily. Let's agree to disagree in that I believe Graffiti is the king of handwriting recognition.

lar Bear

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
You are right. You are asuming MSFT wants to be in the mobile business. I am on tmobile with Nokia 925 (great phone but had to ask for it), had Radar before because store manager and rep had Radar; worked fine for them and then me. Carriers in the US put WP etc.at the back of the store and do not recommend WP. MSFT must do a lot more to market WP and come out with phones with great specs for ALL carrriers and then buy market share. Again this assuming they want to be in the mobile business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99