12-12-2014 09:19 PM
69 123
tools
    Not complicated: Here in the USA, apple and Samsung offer so many premium devices that sell well, with a yearly refresh. I love Windows phone, but want a 1030 or 1530...simple stuff here
    They can offer a yearly refresh because it's just that... A refresh. Every year it's the same thing but with a slightly upgraded hardware. They're not innovators that's for sure. I mean how many years did it took for Apple to finally add NFC? 3 years? And Samsung... How many times are we gonna see that cheap plastic shell when a new Sx comes out? Lumia 920 to 930 saw many changes. The design is completely different. Increase the screen size, change the speakers for a more beautiful audio experience, get a 20 MP Pureview with dual LED flash instead of 9 MP Pureview, a beautiful metal frame with eye popping polycarbonate colors . The hardware is far beyond the 920s and it's only what? A year and a half difference?

At the same time though I understand that you want a new premium phone now. You're used to that yearly refresh. They're not taking a while on purpose though. Redesigned every Lumia x3x then Microsoft buys them and now they're no future plans. Unless for some reason they decided to fool us an actually unveil McLaren. You will just have to wait a little while longer.

Patients is a virtue for windows phone. It is highly rewarded though once they come out.
    Pete The Penguin and undulose like this.
    10-19-2014 07:27 AM
    Lumia 930 is by almost all means premium device. There's only one thing missing, glance screen support, which is one of the weirdest decisions MS/Nokia made. I'm now in dilemma between 830, and 925 as an upgrade from my 820, but if 930 had glance screen, I'd go for it, even though it's more expensive because, at the end of the day, it'd be worth it.
    SurfaceCat likes this.
    10-19-2014 07:58 AM
    Lumia 930 is by almost all means premium device. There's only one thing missing, glance screen support, which is one of the weirdest decisions MS/Nokia made. I'm now in dilemma between 830, and 925 as an upgrade from my 820, but if 930 had glance screen, I'd go for it, even though it's more expensive because, at the end of the day, it'd be worth it.
    well if it helps to decide on the phone you want to buy, remember that 925 is an 8.7mp pureview with only 16gb on board storage. 830 has SD support up to 128gb and a 10mp pureview. Just saying; )
    10-19-2014 08:01 AM
    As a 1520 user I can tell you first hand that glance is such a useless feature. It kills battery and displays everything that's already on the lock screen. And you still have to go through the lock screen anyway to use the phone when you have it on.
    10-19-2014 09:02 AM
    As a 1520 user I can tell you first hand that glance is such a useless feature. It kills battery and displays everything that's already on the lock screen. And you still have to go through the lock screen anyway to use the phone when you have it on.
    Useless? For you sure, but not everyone thinks like you :P
    10-19-2014 09:04 AM
    I, on the other hand, find glance screen on my current L820 very useful, for example when at the meeting, just place my phone on the table, put the sound off, and if there's message, or notification, I get to see it without waking up the phone. Of course, to see the message itself, glance isn't enough, but one has to unlock the phone.
    10-19-2014 09:46 AM
    A simple double tap does the same thing and saves battery.
    10-19-2014 10:23 AM
    Double tap actually wastes more battery than peek glance. :) Plus I mean you wouldn't even be making that argument if you took the time to read in the settings that double tap takes up more battery.
    ven07 likes this.
    10-19-2014 10:28 AM
    Double tap actually wastes more battery than peek glance. :) Plus I mean you wouldn't even be making that argument if you took the time to read in the settings that double tap takes up more battery.

You must be referring to the non existing readings.
    10-19-2014 10:47 AM
    Double tap is ok, but it still requires phone to be physically touched. With glance, it takes only peek, and I get the info I'm after. However, I guess everything is matter of what one is used to on.
    10-19-2014 11:00 AM
    I'm also waiting for a new device from MS. Have 1 and half year old 920 that needs to be upgraded. But unfortunately looks like I need to move away from wp. Why? Updates. Fed up with this waiting game of an update from the operators. So looks like it will be an iPhone for me.
    I would love to stay with wp but the way it works with my windows 8 laptop is pathetic. Been waiting for an improvement there. Only easy way of getting files moved between phone and laptop is by using a cloud. If you are on the move or in a country where connections are bad this is really difficult. After the latest updates from apple the way my iPad and Macbook work together is really nice. Biggest surprise is that my macbook works better with my wp that with windows 8!!!
    I know that there are some nice devices out there like 930 but it is not enough. The true flagship would have best specks combined to one device. So improve the camera from 1020, put 4k screen on it. Give us apps with all the functionality that other platform have (youtube, Skype, snapseed).
    Last reason for me to stay would have been Here maps. But since it will soon be available for iOS there is little reason for me to stay. I was holding a little hope that there is something coming for the holidays but I believe this will not happen anymore.
    10-19-2014 09:23 PM
    Other than the camera's, can you name one thing the newer phones can do that the 920 can't ? They all look the same, some have rounded corners and some have a strip of metal around them but basically all alike, the 1520 is the only Nokia phone with any real improvement.
    10-21-2014 01:05 PM
    I'm also waiting for a new device from MS. Have 1 and half year old 920 that needs to be upgraded. But unfortunately looks like I need to move away from wp. Why? Updates. Fed up with this waiting game of an update from the operators. So looks like it will be an iPhone for me.
    I would love to stay with wp but the way it works with my windows 8 laptop is pathetic. Been waiting for an improvement there. Only easy way of getting files moved between phone and laptop is by using a cloud. If you are on the move or in a country where connections are bad this is really difficult. After the latest updates from apple the way my iPad and Macbook work together is really nice. Biggest surprise is that my macbook works better with my wp that with windows 8!!!
    I know that there are some nice devices out there like 930 but it is not enough. The true flagship would have best specks combined to one device. So improve the camera from 1020, put 4k screen on it. Give us apps with all the functionality that other platform have (youtube, Skype, snapseed).
    Last reason for me to stay would have been Here maps. But since it will soon be available for iOS there is little reason for me to stay. I was holding a little hope that there is something coming for the holidays but I believe this will not happen anymore.
    I agree with some of those points. Specifically the PC integration could be way better.
    10-24-2014 07:44 AM
    If you want a refresh, just buy Microsoft's new releases. Even though they have less powerful hardware and camera than the 1520, 930 and 1320, at least they're new. Because I think you guys just want something new and not practical. Take for example the Android flagships of today. The hell with 4k screen on a 6-inch screen!! Add to those pixel madness the amount of power each flagship is getting (quad-core 2.5 GHz). With daily usage, these specs are overkill already, and it's sad to say that IMO, people who upgrade every year to buy phones with incremental upgrades are just buying them to join the latest fad in tech (like most of guys here who wanted a new WP despite the power of recent flagships).

I'm fine with my almost one-year-old 1520.
    pedmar007 and WP8FoneTek like this.
    10-24-2014 08:12 AM
    Why don't you "jokers" stop talking about premium devices and instead talk about MS hurrying along the update OS process!!! You're talking about New flagship devices and yet we still have to get 2 more updates for the OS. When we have those and everyone has them and can then talk about how great/disappointing WP8.1.1/DENIM is then we can then truly talk about putting that OS on "PREMIUM DEVICES".
    undulose likes this.
    10-24-2014 08:37 AM
    They can offer a yearly refresh because it's just that... A refresh. Every year it's the same thing but with a slightly upgraded hardware. They're not innovators that's for sure. I mean how many years did it took for Apple to finally add NFC? 3 years? And Samsung... How many times are we gonna see that cheap plastic shell when a new Sx comes out? Lumia 920 to 930 saw many changes. The design is completely different. Increase the screen size, change the speakers for a more beautiful audio experience, get a 20 MP Pureview with dual LED flash instead of 9 MP Pureview, a beautiful metal frame with eye popping polycarbonate colors . The hardware is far beyond the 920s and it's only what? A year and a half difference?

At the same time though I understand that you want a new premium phone now. You're used to that yearly refresh. They're not taking a while on purpose though. Redesigned every Lumia x3x then Microsoft buys them and now they're no future plans. Unless for some reason they decided to fool us an actually unveil McLaren. You will just have to wait a little while longer.

Patients is a virtue for windows phone. It is highly rewarded though once they come out.
    Dude take a look at sales figures and enter reality. MS is a non factor in USA phone sales- I love Windows phone, but the business model u describe is an abysmal failure and MS must adjust, or become only a low end supplier for 2nd world countries
    10-24-2014 10:42 AM
    Downgrade to WP 8.0 and check you casual.
    10-24-2014 12:44 PM
    I will be surprised if a new 1020 is not imminent. The device is essentially on clearance right now, and I'm not sure why they'd do that if they were not planning on releasing a new version.

The 1020 is clearly the device where they can differentiate and bring in some "premium" iOS and Android customers. If they can make major improvements on some of its weak points, namely camera start-up and shot-to-shot times, and make incremental improvements everywhere else, then this will be a VERY compelling device to consumers that place a lot of value in their phone's camera. It's not going to sell like the iPhone or Samsung flagships, but it will generate excitement and sell decently and convert some iOS & Android users.

BTW, I snagged the 1020 for $339 from ATT. It's my first Windows Phone, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the OS. The "app-gap" is real, but I use a pretty limited number of, mostly, very popular apps and WP has them all except WatchESPN. They don't have a number of games I used to play on my iPhone 4, but that's not a big deal to me -- I've found different ones to waste my time with. There's also a couple of areas where WP is a little rough around the edges, but nothing too big. The biggest positives so far: the Nokia Camera app is vastly superior to the iOS and Android camera apps. Here+ navigation is superior to Google's Nav, especially when you factor in that it can function off-line (I don't have a data plan). The live tiles is, BY FAR, the most attractive phone interface. iOS and Android are just a sea of icons, and really not that interesting. Cortana is also very good - on par with Google Now, which I also like.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-24-2014 01:08 PM
    I agree. Too much complaints from people, when having software updates is more important than having new phones for existing users.
    10-24-2014 02:22 PM
    11-03-2014 03:37 PM
    well, the fact Android needs stronger specs is because it doesent run as smooth in lower specs...but say, the new Lumia 830 for example should cover all the needs of a regular user flawlesly, even tho it has S400! WP is NOT as spec hungry as Android!

unless you want to run heavy games or have the best camera a phone can offer, a mid-range Lumia covers the basic needs (social media, web browsing, music to list a few) perfectly!

and that's why i dont buy flagships...they're a waste of money if i compare them to my needs!

and what is there not premium about the 930/1520 anyways?
    JamesPTao likes this.
    11-04-2014 03:03 PM
    well, the fact Android needs stronger specs is because it doesent run as smooth in lower specs...but say, the new Lumia 830 for example should cover all the needs of a regular user flawlesly, even tho it has S400! WP is NOT as spec hungry as Android!

unless you want to run heavy games or have the best camera a phone can offer, a mid-range Lumia covers the basic needs (social media, web browsing, music to list a few) perfectly!

and that's why i dont buy flagships...they're a waste of money if i compare them to my needs!

and what is there not premium about the 930/1520 anyways?
    These people would cry if android took four times the processor power compared to windows bit came with a processor 0.01mhz faster. But the windows device isn't a true flagship because my android has a processor .01mhz faster (even though it runs slower). Its a stupid argument. In the photography industry we call these people measurebaters. Obsessed with numbers but no idea how to evaluate an offering otherwise or in real world use.
    11-04-2014 03:07 PM
    Seriously, another of these threads?

Seriously, people think the 1020 and 1520 are "too old"?

Am I the only one who is satisfied with what I've got, and the fact that I'm spending less money because it is paid for, and is still working better than the newest, biggest, baddest iPhone or Android I've seen?

Am I the only one who is happy that there's not some new thing I've just got to have because what I have is already the best?

I mean really, unless somebody comes along and makes a Windows x64 handheld device running real Windows 10 that I can plug my keyboard, mouse, monitor, gigabit network and miscellaneous USB peripherals and install real Office and other desktop apps on; AND puts in a GSM LTE radio so I can put my SIM card in the thing and carry it in my pocket and use it for phone calls [i.e. a Surface Pro mini with phone capability], I don't see what's the allure of a new phone every year or two.
    11-04-2014 03:14 PM
    Seriously, another of these threads?

Seriously, people think the 1020 and 1520 are "too old"?

Am I the only one who is satisfied with what I've got, and the fact that I'm spending less money because it is paid for, and is still working better than the newest, biggest, baddest iPhone or Android I've seen?

Am I the only one who is happy that there's not some new thing I've just got to have because what I have is already the best?

I mean really, unless somebody comes along and makes a Windows x64 handheld device running real Windows 10 that I can plug my keyboard, mouse, monitor, gigabit network and miscellaneous USB peripherals and install real Office and other desktop apps on; AND puts in a GSM LTE radio so I can put my SIM card in the thing and carry it in my pocket and use it for phone calls [i.e. a Surface Pro mini with phone capability], I don't see what's the allure of a new phone every year or two.
    My wife's 1020 broke. She wouldn't touch the 1520, HTC one, Samsung g5 they offered with insurance (thebwere out of stock of 1020's). Had to hammer the insurance company to reimburse us for buying another 1020 in the store. Real people care what the phone can do for them not the specs on a piece of paper.
    11-04-2014 07:47 PM
    my dream phone for Nokia Lumia 1830
    - 6 inch screen, QHD 2K display (2560x1440)
    - 6800mAh
    - 41MP PureView 6/7 lenses Rear camera
    - 8MP Pureview 4/5 lenses Front-Facing Camera
    - 2 GB RAM
    - 32 GB internal memory, external storage up to 128GB
    - Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 (Quad-core 2.3 GHz) / Snapdragon 805 (Quad-core 2.7 GHz)
    - Loudspeaker with Dolby Headphone sound enhancement
    - with Nokia Lumia 930's microphone

EDIT: forgot the price, it is gonna be about $649 to $ 749 (same price as cheapest i**** 6/6+)
    Last edited by wuiyang; 11-05-2014 at 09:23 AM.
    11-05-2014 04:05 AM
69 123