Premium device?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The 1520 is still the premium WP device. If you mean 'premium' as the Android market define it... I.e. 2K displays, fingerprint scanners etc, slightly faster CPU. These are minor things that fade into the background after the initial 'my precious' reaction...
Just buy an Android device then. Most if nearly all those features probably won't find their way onto an MS device anytime soon.
Expect some different thinking from MS. It's called innovation. Something the WP platform is built on...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Actually MS should really surprise us with a decent High-end phone soon, because Christmas is almost here and sales usually go up around that time, but the idea to produce mid to low-end phones is a solid one :) Get the low priced phones into the hands of the customers so they can enjoy the feel and power of WP. The idea would be for them to upgrade, but first the world needs to know what WP can do

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
If this true, all my familys Lumias will be replaced with Notes, Nexus and iPhones. If MS is this stupid, the small base it has, will soon be smaller

I understand that not everyone can be patient but I have yet to see a Nokia device disappoint me and hopefully Microsoft won't screw up with that. Besides it takes time for a company to transition to a newer one, the 830 was the last Nokia designed phone so now it's up to Microsoft to design and produce the next generation of phones.

But one of the beauties of Windows Phone is that even a 2 year tech doesn't feel sluggish (920 for example) compare to say an Android or an iPhone. (iPhone 3GS comes to mind and Nexus 4)

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I kinda have to agree with this. If the 1520 isn't premium enough why not just get a different phone from a different manufacturer all together. It's really not that big of a deal. They're just phones lol.

The problem is the 1520 is too big for most people. The 930 should be available in the US but it isn't because of Verizon. The Lumia line up for this holiday season on AT&T should be 530/830/930/1520

agentmikeyd99

Banned
Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Not complicated: Here in the USA, apple and Samsung offer so many premium devices that sell well, with a yearly refresh. I love Windows phone, but want a 1030 or 1530...simple stuff here

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Not complicated: Here in the USA, apple and Samsung offer so many premium devices that sell well, with a yearly refresh. I love Windows phone, but want a 1030 or 1530...simple stuff here

They can offer a yearly refresh because it's just that... A refresh. Every year it's the same thing but with a slightly upgraded hardware. They're not innovators that's for sure. I mean how many years did it took for Apple to finally add NFC? 3 years? And Samsung... How many times are we gonna see that cheap plastic shell when a new Sx comes out? Lumia 920 to 930 saw many changes. The design is completely different. Increase the screen size, change the speakers for a more beautiful audio experience, get a 20 MP Pureview with dual LED flash instead of 9 MP Pureview, a beautiful metal frame with eye popping polycarbonate colors . The hardware is far beyond the 920s and it's only what? A year and a half difference?

At the same time though I understand that you want a new premium phone now. You're used to that yearly refresh. They're not taking a while on purpose though. Redesigned every Lumia x3x then Microsoft buys them and now they're no future plans. Unless for some reason they decided to fool us an actually unveil McLaren. You will just have to wait a little while longer.

Patients is a virtue for windows phone. It is highly rewarded though once they come out.

Igor_BL

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 930 is by almost all means premium device. There's only one thing missing, glance screen support, which is one of the weirdest decisions MS/Nokia made. I'm now in dilemma between 830, and 925 as an upgrade from my 820, but if 930 had glance screen, I'd go for it, even though it's more expensive because, at the end of the day, it'd be worth it.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 930 is by almost all means premium device. There's only one thing missing, glance screen support, which is one of the weirdest decisions MS/Nokia made. I'm now in dilemma between 830, and 925 as an upgrade from my 820, but if 930 had glance screen, I'd go for it, even though it's more expensive because, at the end of the day, it'd be worth it.
well if it helps to decide on the phone you want to buy, remember that 925 is an 8.7mp pureview with only 16gb on board storage. 830 has SD support up to 128gb and a 10mp pureview. Just saying; )

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
As a 1520 user I can tell you first hand that glance is such a useless feature. It kills battery and displays everything that's already on the lock screen. And you still have to go through the lock screen anyway to use the phone when you have it on.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
As a 1520 user I can tell you first hand that glance is such a useless feature. It kills battery and displays everything that's already on the lock screen. And you still have to go through the lock screen anyway to use the phone when you have it on.

Useless? For you sure, but not everyone thinks like you :p

Igor_BL

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

I, on the other hand, find glance screen on my current L820 very useful, for example when at the meeting, just place my phone on the table, put the sound off, and if there's message, or notification, I get to see it without waking up the phone. Of course, to see the message itself, glance isn't enough, but one has to unlock the phone.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Double tap actually wastes more battery than peek glance. :) Plus I mean you wouldn't even be making that argument if you took the time to read in the settings that double tap takes up more battery.

You must be referring to the non existing readings.
e66262da145191872138017f53b1016f.png
d2ff9528d1224977bf5ff4d7320b9e42.png

gurujaii

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm also waiting for a new device from MS. Have 1 and half year old 920 that needs to be upgraded. But unfortunately looks like I need to move away from wp. Why? Updates. Fed up with this waiting game of an update from the operators. So looks like it will be an iPhone for me.
I would love to stay with wp but the way it works with my windows 8 laptop is pathetic. Been waiting for an improvement there. Only easy way of getting files moved between phone and laptop is by using a cloud. If you are on the move or in a country where connections are bad this is really difficult. After the latest updates from apple the way my iPad and Macbook work together is really nice. Biggest surprise is that my macbook works better with my wp that with windows 8!!!
I know that there are some nice devices out there like 930 but it is not enough. The true flagship would have best specks combined to one device. So improve the camera from 1020, put 4k screen on it. Give us apps with all the functionality that other platform have (youtube, Skype, snapseed).
Last reason for me to stay would have been Here maps. But since it will soon be available for iOS there is little reason for me to stay. I was holding a little hope that there is something coming for the holidays but I believe this will not happen anymore.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Other than the camera's, can you name one thing the newer phones can do that the 920 can't ? They all look the same, some have rounded corners and some have a strip of metal around them but basically all alike, the 1520 is the only Nokia phone with any real improvement.

Christopher Lindsay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm also waiting for a new device from MS. Have 1 and half year old 920 that needs to be upgraded. But unfortunately looks like I need to move away from wp. Why? Updates. Fed up with this waiting game of an update from the operators. So looks like it will be an iPhone for me.
I would love to stay with wp but the way it works with my windows 8 laptop is pathetic. Been waiting for an improvement there. Only easy way of getting files moved between phone and laptop is by using a cloud. If you are on the move or in a country where connections are bad this is really difficult. After the latest updates from apple the way my iPad and Macbook work together is really nice. Biggest surprise is that my macbook works better with my wp that with windows 8!!!
I know that there are some nice devices out there like 930 but it is not enough. The true flagship would have best specks combined to one device. So improve the camera from 1020, put 4k screen on it. Give us apps with all the functionality that other platform have (youtube, Skype, snapseed).
Last reason for me to stay would have been Here maps. But since it will soon be available for iOS there is little reason for me to stay. I was holding a little hope that there is something coming for the holidays but I believe this will not happen anymore.
I agree with some of those points. Specifically the PC integration could be way better.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
If you want a refresh, just buy Microsoft's new releases. Even though they have less powerful hardware and camera than the 1520, 930 and 1320, at least they're new. Because I think you guys just want something new and not practical. Take for example the Android flagships of today. The hell with 4k screen on a 6-inch screen!! Add to those pixel madness the amount of power each flagship is getting (quad-core 2.5 GHz). With daily usage, these specs are overkill already, and it's sad to say that IMO, people who upgrade every year to buy phones with incremental upgrades are just buying them to join the latest fad in tech (like most of guys here who wanted a new WP despite the power of recent flagships).

I'm fine with my almost one-year-old 1520.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Why don't you "jokers" stop talking about premium devices and instead talk about MS hurrying along the update OS process!!! You're talking about New flagship devices and yet we still have to get 2 more updates for the OS. When we have those and everyone has them and can then talk about how great/disappointing WP8.1.1/DENIM is then we can then truly talk about putting that OS on "PREMIUM DEVICES".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos