Premium device?

agentmikeyd99

Banned
Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
They can offer a yearly refresh because it's just that... A refresh. Every year it's the same thing but with a slightly upgraded hardware. They're not innovators that's for sure. I mean how many years did it took for Apple to finally add NFC? 3 years? And Samsung... How many times are we gonna see that cheap plastic shell when a new Sx comes out? Lumia 920 to 930 saw many changes. The design is completely different. Increase the screen size, change the speakers for a more beautiful audio experience, get a 20 MP Pureview with dual LED flash instead of 9 MP Pureview, a beautiful metal frame with eye popping polycarbonate colors . The hardware is far beyond the 920s and it's only what? A year and a half difference?

At the same time though I understand that you want a new premium phone now. You're used to that yearly refresh. They're not taking a while on purpose though. Redesigned every Lumia x3x then Microsoft buys them and now they're no future plans. Unless for some reason they decided to fool us an actually unveil McLaren. You will just have to wait a little while longer.

Patients is a virtue for windows phone. It is highly rewarded though once they come out.
Dude take a look at sales figures and enter reality. MS is a non factor in USA phone sales- I love Windows phone, but the business model u describe is an abysmal failure and MS must adjust, or become only a low end supplier for 2nd world countries

BJNavarre

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I will be surprised if a new 1020 is not imminent. The device is essentially on clearance right now, and I'm not sure why they'd do that if they were not planning on releasing a new version.

The 1020 is clearly the device where they can differentiate and bring in some "premium" iOS and Android customers. If they can make major improvements on some of its weak points, namely camera start-up and shot-to-shot times, and make incremental improvements everywhere else, then this will be a VERY compelling device to consumers that place a lot of value in their phone's camera. It's not going to sell like the iPhone or Samsung flagships, but it will generate excitement and sell decently and convert some iOS & Android users.

BTW, I snagged the 1020 for $339 from ATT. It's my first Windows Phone, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the OS. The "app-gap" is real, but I use a pretty limited number of, mostly, very popular apps and WP has them all except WatchESPN. They don't have a number of games I used to play on my iPhone 4, but that's not a big deal to me -- I've found different ones to waste my time with. There's also a couple of areas where WP is a little rough around the edges, but nothing too big. The biggest positives so far: the Nokia Camera app is vastly superior to the iOS and Android camera apps. Here+ navigation is superior to Google's Nav, especially when you factor in that it can function off-line (I don't have a data plan). The live tiles is, BY FAR, the most attractive phone interface. iOS and Android are just a sea of icons, and really not that interesting. Cortana is also very good - on par with Google Now, which I also like.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Too much complaints from people, when having software updates is more important than having new phones for existing users.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
well, the fact Android needs stronger specs is because it doesent run as smooth in lower specs...but say, the new Lumia 830 for example should cover all the needs of a regular user flawlesly, even tho it has S400! WP is NOT as spec hungry as Android!

unless you want to run heavy games or have the best camera a phone can offer, a mid-range Lumia covers the basic needs (social media, web browsing, music to list a few) perfectly!

and that's why i dont buy flagships...they're a waste of money if i compare them to my needs!

and what is there not premium about the 930/1520 anyways?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
well, the fact Android needs stronger specs is because it doesent run as smooth in lower specs...but say, the new Lumia 830 for example should cover all the needs of a regular user flawlesly, even tho it has S400! WP is NOT as spec hungry as Android!

unless you want to run heavy games or have the best camera a phone can offer, a mid-range Lumia covers the basic needs (social media, web browsing, music to list a few) perfectly!

and that's why i dont buy flagships...they're a waste of money if i compare them to my needs!

and what is there not premium about the 930/1520 anyways?
These people would cry if android took four times the processor power compared to windows bit came with a processor 0.01mhz faster. But the windows device isn't a true flagship because my android has a processor .01mhz faster (even though it runs slower). Its a stupid argument. In the photography industry we call these people measurebaters. Obsessed with numbers but no idea how to evaluate an offering otherwise or in real world use.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Seriously, another of these threads?

Seriously, people think the 1020 and 1520 are "too old"?

Am I the only one who is satisfied with what I've got, and the fact that I'm spending less money because it is paid for, and is still working better than the newest, biggest, baddest iPhone or Android I've seen?

Am I the only one who is happy that there's not some new thing I've just got to have because what I have is already the best?

I mean really, unless somebody comes along and makes a Windows x64 handheld device running real Windows 10 that I can plug my keyboard, mouse, monitor, gigabit network and miscellaneous USB peripherals and install real Office and other desktop apps on; AND puts in a GSM LTE radio so I can put my SIM card in the thing and carry it in my pocket and use it for phone calls [i.e. a Surface Pro mini with phone capability], I don't see what's the allure of a new phone every year or two.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Seriously, another of these threads?

Seriously, people think the 1020 and 1520 are "too old"?

Am I the only one who is satisfied with what I've got, and the fact that I'm spending less money because it is paid for, and is still working better than the newest, biggest, baddest iPhone or Android I've seen?

Am I the only one who is happy that there's not some new thing I've just got to have because what I have is already the best?

I mean really, unless somebody comes along and makes a Windows x64 handheld device running real Windows 10 that I can plug my keyboard, mouse, monitor, gigabit network and miscellaneous USB peripherals and install real Office and other desktop apps on; AND puts in a GSM LTE radio so I can put my SIM card in the thing and carry it in my pocket and use it for phone calls [i.e. a Surface Pro mini with phone capability], I don't see what's the allure of a new phone every year or two.
My wife's 1020 broke. She wouldn't touch the 1520, HTC one, Samsung g5 they offered with insurance (thebwere out of stock of 1020's). Had to hammer the insurance company to reimburse us for buying another 1020 in the store. Real people care what the phone can do for them not the specs on a piece of paper.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
my dream phone for Nokia Lumia 1830
- 6 inch screen, QHD 2K display (2560x1440)
- 6800mAh
- 41MP PureView 6/7 lenses Rear camera
- 8MP Pureview 4/5 lenses Front-Facing Camera
- 2 GB RAM
- 32 GB internal memory, external storage up to 128GB
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 (Quad-core 2.3 GHz) / Snapdragon 805 (Quad-core 2.7 GHz)
- Loudspeaker with Dolby Headphone sound enhancement
- with Nokia Lumia 930's microphone

EDIT: forgot the price, it is gonna be about $649 to $ 749 (same price as cheapest i**** 6/6+)

Last edited:

agentmikeyd99

Banned
Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
my dream phone for Nokia Lumia 1830
- 6 inch screen, QHD 2K display (2560x1440)
- 6800mAh
- 41MP PureView 6/7 lenses Rear camera
- 8MP Pureview 4/5 lenses Front-Facing Camera
- 2 GB RAM
- 32 GB internal memory, external storage up to 128GB
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 (Quad-core 2.3 GHz) / Snapdragon 805 (Quad-core 2.7 GHz)
- Loudspeaker with Dolby Headphone sound enhancement
- with Nokia Lumia 930's microphone

You are spot on on what MS needs to do, if they care to grow in the US. The current sales and business model of focusing on low-end devices will relegate them to the 2nd and 3rd world with the hope of growing a base. That won't help here, and my family plan and the relative few Windows phone owners will gravitate to premium devices on Android and (yuck) Apple...

Pretty good read here:
http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...fts-windows-phone-dead-in-the-united-sta.aspx

Last edited:

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'd rather wait they launch a phone with Snapdragon 810 and Windows 10 64 bit version ;)

windows phone currently MAYBE doesn't support Snapdragon 810 (all the windows phone supported chips Instruction set were ARMv7, but i think it will work[hopefully])

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
You are spot on on what MS needs to do, if they care to grow in the US. The current sales and business model of focusing on low-end devices will relegate them to the 2nd and 3rd world with the hope of growing a base. That won't help here, and my family plan and the relative few Windows phone owners will gravitate to premium devices on Android and (yuck) Apple...

Pretty good read here:
http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...fts-windows-phone-dead-in-the-united-sta.aspx
You are right that their premium phone focus needs to increase. Their focus on low end phones though must stay in place. Low end phones for emerging markets are the only markets left with huge growth potential where their are no makes cemented in their dominance.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
You are right that their premium phone focus needs to increase. Their focus on low end phones though must stay in place. Low end phones for emerging markets are the only markets left with huge growth potential where their are no makes cemented in their dominance.
basically, yes, they can't lose focus on emerging markets!

it is easier to bring new users than bringing users already established in another OS

thats why they focus on conquering these markets and, eventually, users will move to higher specs phones

MS knows USA is a difficult market and users are picky and always complaining about something...i bet even if there was a 2K screen, snap 810, 3GB phone, pplz would still complain, like they always do!
and yet i fail to see what is NOT premium about the 930 lol it runs WP flawlessly, has amazing camera, premium design and finish, great amoled screen!

i think pplz need to stop comparing Android and WP in hardware specs and see WP as a whole DIFFERENT OS that doesent take as much power to run perfectly

Android premium and WP premium are completely different perspectives

Android users are so into the spec war they fail to see WP for what it is, made for simplicity and efficiency straight out of the box

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
basically, yes, they can't lose focus on emerging markets!

it is easier to bring new users than bringing users already established in another OS

thats why they focus on conquering these markets and, eventually, users will move to higher specs phones

MS knows USA is a difficult market and users are picky and always complaining about something...i bet even if there was a 2K screen, snap 810, 3GB phone, pplz would still complain, like they always do!
and yet i fail to see what is NOT premium about the 930 lol it runs WP flawlessly, has amazing camera, premium design and finish, great amoled screen!

i think pplz need to stop comparing Android and WP in hardware specs and see WP as a whole DIFFERENT OS that doesent take as much power to run perfectly

Android premium and WP premium are completely different perspectives

Android users are so into the spec war they fail to see WP for what it is, made for simplicity and efficiency straight out of the box
I understand their spec mentality for their phones as android runs like crap without one, but WP is not android. Pick up a $50 520 and use it...holy **** it runs smooth as thank you. There's a reason bargain android phones run android versions two versions behind the rest, they have to to fun too. Lol

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's been a VERY long time since I've been on a contract so I may need a refresher course on how upgrades work. Do upgrades expire if you don't use them when the contract is up, use it or lose it, as it were? If not, why the overwhelming need to upgrade if your present device is working fine? As I mentioned, it's been a while since I was committed to a carrier (2007) but back then if your contract was up, you just went into a month-to-month at your current rate.

In other words, if you don't have to upgrade, why not wait until a better device comes along? It would sure cut down on some of the lame threads moaning about "premium" devices.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It's been a VERY long time since I've been on a contract so I may need a refresher course on how upgrades work. Do upgrades expire if you don't use them when the contract is up, use it or lose it, as it were? If not, why the overwhelming need to upgrade if your present device is working fine? As I mentioned, it's been a while since I was committed to a carrier (2007) but back then if your contract was up, you just went into a month-to-month at your current rate.

In other words, if you don't have to upgrade, why not wait until a better device comes along? It would sure cut down on some of the lame threads moaning about "premium" devices.

not really.

people are impatient.

later

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

The disadvantage of waiting is that with a traditional contract, you don't save any money while waiting. If you were paying $80/month in contract, you still pay $80/month out of contract, so in effect you're paying for a subsidy you're not taking.

The new Next plans which allow financing a device cost without interest get cheaper once the device is paid off, so waiting for a device you really like doesn't cost you more money.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss