Where have the music players gone?

martin joseph

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
missing the nifty little music players.

In an era where smartphones,tablets & wearable devices rule I am wondering whether a music player could somehow still fit in.

of course there is a range of players being produced that play hi-res music (FLAC ) with a ridiculous price tag onto it but what about an ordinary individual who just loves good music on the go.

many would argue that a phone or tablet doubles up as a fairly good music player but I seriously believe battery life suffers.

Zune was an excellent device but unfortunately was abruptly discontinued.
shouldn't there be a follow up?

I believe there is still a market for music enthusiasts who loved those nifty little devices that fits snugly into their pockets & played music effortlessly for hours.

'who uses those things these days' you ask,well you'd be surprised.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: missing the nifty little music players.

I see many people using music players still and you can easily buy a MP3 player still.

I don't require one as my commute is so short. For some it would be a good idea but I think the idea of 'one device' for your needs is still prevalent.

Apple still sells the iPod.

martin joseph

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

that is so true but 'Jack of all trades king of none' somehow applies to this post.
Individually I believe the phone is a communication tool & that includes social networking ext.
a music player is more of a specific device that specializes in well music,
Ipods & hi res players are great but these days options are limited
& instead of improving this revolutionary engineering marvel manufacturers are shying away.
(I have been using portable players from the time of cassette players & its sad to see it die away.)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The issue you have also is that some people simply cannot afford more than one device. So you need to consider that as well.

I rather them concentrate on making audio better on phones and improving battery technology.

Nothing wrong with having two devices but why not make one as good as possible?

martin joseph

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

I sound just like a kid in a candy store don't I?

a 'Google glass' like device paired with a wearable gear & wireless hi-res ear phone integration,It doesn't scream 'I seek attention' but at the same time does everything while file storage entirely relying on cloud services that you can subscribe.

too futuristic eh?

we would have a field trip trying to keep all of them charged though!

3 devices to rule them all!

a reasonably priced device that's good at everything? we'll just have to wait

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

The iPod market gets smaller everyday as more people switch to smartphones. And there are those that would rather use a smartphone as a basic multimedia device. IMO, the best solution is a mid-range phone.

martin joseph

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

smartphones might be having the centre stage now but I don't think music players are down & out just yet,They had so many near death experiences but always find their way back up the hierarchy.

As long as there are music enthusiasts & keen ears for detail the music players are gonna comeback strong.

professional photographers still use cameras conclusion;music enthusiasts should use music players.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Standalone mp3 players are also declining in sales as purchasing music declines in sales. More people are subscribing to streaming music services than actually buying music. It seems that people aren't as concerned about actually owning the songs as there are having the ability to play the songs. iTunes sales are declining, as are iPod sales.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb