Does Microsoft need to release a Nexus like device (nexus 5 not the 6)?

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The nexus 5 of WP is called the Lumia 930. You can buy the international version unlocked on amazon (might not be LTE for you US users though) you guys need to remember that it's not all about specs. It's a fluid experience all. Round from The 520-1520 and form the 530-930. Just remember that.

tkadrum

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by Visa Declined View Post

It's hard to consider a phone with a 2 generation old cpu as being a flagship.

Why not?! iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ are practically the old iTouch, but now you can make calls on it.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Re: Does Microsoft need to release a Nexus like device (nexus 5 not the 6)

Too late to do this now, they'll just **** of the buyers of Lumia 830.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
i think every Lumia is a "Nexus" of sorts for windows phone,same with One M8 for windows
Nexus is an example of sorts for possibilities,updates etc
The Lumia series is exactly that and so is the HTC

as for hardware arguements,say MS makes an octa core phone with 4gb ram,now what,youll play Crisis 3 on it??

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Well why does someone need a Lumia to be like a nexus? Why? Just because it might gain a bit market share? I don't think so.

If some of you have seen the actual comparison of phones by experts, say comparing Lumia 930/1520 with note 3/4 & iPhone 6/6+, you'll actually find out that most of the reviewers say that even if iPhone has a dual core processor or 1 Gb ram, its still on equal terms with note 3/4. Same goes with WP too. Compared to Android, WP/iOS are not power hungry. They don't need a monstrous processor, even a mediocre dual/single core will do. Its just that Android comes up with octa core processors, doesn't mean WP should do that too.
Does someone remember the early wp7 phone? They had single core processor, still they ran without any lag. That's not the case with Android(it can never run smoothly on single /dual core processors)
So WP doesn't need those monstrous specs, the thing it actually needs is more stabilization/optimization of apps/games. Again that depends on the developers.
Sent from whichever device I happen to be using today.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

This is not accurate. Nokia signed deals with the carriers because they had to. Nokia is a much smaller company than MS and doesn't have a lot of weight for bargaining.

However, MS is now the OEM so most likely this is why we're seeing Qi charging in the ATT Lumia 830. Which would possibly open the door to other things such as faster updates.

Unfortunately, tgp was quite accurate. MS has no more bargaining power with carriers than Nokia did. In many cases MS has even less, as some carriers view MS as a potential threat (Skype) that must be kept in check, whereas Nokia was just another powerless OEM (carrier's favorite kind of OEM).

MS already did most of the negotiating with U.S. carriers to improve WP's update situation, but always came out empty handed.

Nothing much will change before WP gains a lot more market share.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

i think every Lumia is a "Nexus" of sorts for windows phone,same with One M8 for windows
Nexus is an example of sorts for possibilities,updates etc
The Lumia series is exactly that and so is the HTC

as for hardware arguements,say MS makes an octa core phone with 4gb ram,now what,youll play Crisis 3 on it??

There are aspects of the Nexus apart from timely updates, which Windows Phone oftens lacks as well.

The Nexus 5 was a reference device for developers to get the best specifications to try out their applications on, considering how poor Windows Phone apps are it could definitely benefit developers to get access to a Nexus like device.

Eventually the Nexus became more and more consumer oriented as well, proving people with the best of specifications in all aspects; including the screen, camera, etc.

Windows Phone could benefit from it, but it might be a bad move considering they've already launched the 830.

Lastly Microsoft is already not doing extremely we'll with Windows Phones, the cost of starting new factories just to produce their own SOCs is to say the least, absurd.

In your dreams. Wrong 👎statement
. Go to Android Central.

What is wrong about my statement?

I meant to say that people expected the 830 to have flagship specifications for a cheap price, a lot of people couldn't come to terms with the fact that it lacked so much(Snapdragon 400, 720p display, etc).

Now that finally people have begun buying the 830, if Microsoft comes up with a "true" affordable with the likes of a Snapdragon 600(or 800) and a 1080p screen it would massively **** off existing users of the 830.

Try to understand and read before criticising everything I say, Android has nothing to do with this I was only talking about owners of the 830.

Well why does someone need a Lumia to be like a nexus? Why? Just because it might gain a bit market share? I don't think so.

If some of you have seen the actual comparison of phones by experts, say comparing Lumia 930/1520 with note 3/4 & iPhone 6/6+, you'll actually find out that most of the reviewers say that even if iPhone has a dual core processor or 1 Gb ram, its still on equal terms with note 3/4. Same goes with WP too. Compared to Android, WP/iOS are not power hungry. They don't need a monstrous processor, even a mediocre dual/single core will do. Its just that Android comes up with octa core processors, doesn't mean WP should do that too.
Does someone remember the early wp7 phone? They had single core processor, still they ran without any lag. That's not the case with Android(it can never run smoothly on single /dual core processors)
So WP doesn't need those monstrous specs, the thing it actually needs is more stabilization/optimization of apps/games. Again that depends on the developers.
Sent from whichever device I happen to be using today.

Oh God the whole iOS and core count comparison again.

iOS, especially the more recent version, do *NOT* run we'll on low end hardware. The dual core processor in the iPhone, is not low end hardware, the whole architecture behind it makes it one of the most powerful chips out there.
As far as Windows Phone goes, I've used it on low end hardware (also on Android) and they both perform identically, i.e. they stutter from time to time and crash as well(it's what you can expect from low end devices).

As far as single core processor goes, the iPhone 4 runs rather terribly on iOS 7(thus negating your iOS not being power hungry argument) and there is no single core device running Windows Phone 8(negating the second part of your statement).

If core count is all what matters to you and you think Android can't run smoothly on a dual core processor, newsflash! The Nexus 9 just launched with a dual core processor. -.-

Now once we've gotten rid of the Android bashing, let's return to the topic at hand.

While Windows Phone's interface is extremely smooth on whatever kind of hardware the apps aren't. A Nexus like Windows Phone device may give developers an incentive to make better applications and test them out.

Bashing Android wasn't at all relevant here.

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site

It makes me laugh tho when people are saying when is the next flagship coming out... For me... The 1520 is the flagship... Its powerful for me and can play modern combat 5 with no lag or slowdown. Personally it may not be the worlds most powerful phone... But do I need a more powerful phone? Not really. It does all I need. What gets me tho are the lemons out there moaning at how they want a powerful phone then just play candy crush or some other low end spec games on it lol.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

There are aspects of the Nexus apart from timely updates, which Windows Phone oftens lacks as well.

The Nexus 5 was a reference device for developers to get the best specifications to try out their applications on, considering how poor Windows Phone apps are it could definitely benefit developers to get access to a Nexus like device.

Eventually the Nexus became more and more consumer oriented as well, proving people with the best of specifications in all aspects; including the screen, camera, etc.

Windows Phone could benefit from it, but it might be a bad move considering they've already launched the 830.

Lastly Microsoft is already not doing extremely we'll with Windows Phones, the cost of starting new factories just to produce their own SOCs is to say the least, absurd.

What is wrong about my statement?

I meant to say that people expected the 830 to have flagship specifications for a cheap price, a lot of people couldn't come to terms with the fact that it lacked so much(Snapdragon 400, 720p display, etc).

Now that finally people have begun buying the 830, if Microsoft comes up with a "true" affordable with the likes of a Snapdragon 600(or 800) and a 1080p screen it would massively **** off existing users of the 830.

Try to understand and read before criticising everything I say, Android has nothing to do with this I was only talking about owners of the 830.

Oh God the whole iOS and core count comparison again.

iOS, especially the more recent version, do *NOT* run we'll on low end hardware. The dual core processor in the iPhone, is not low end hardware, the whole architecture behind it makes it one of the most powerful chips out there.
As far as Windows Phone goes, I've used it on low end hardware (also on Android) and they both perform identically, i.e. they stutter from time to time and crash as well(it's what you can expect from low end devices).

As far as single core processor goes, the iPhone 4 runs rather terribly on iOS 7(thus negating your iOS not being power hungry argument) and there is no single core device running Windows Phone 8(negating the second part of your statement).

If core count is all what matters to you and you think Android can't run smoothly on a dual core processor, newsflash! The Nexus 9 just launched with a dual core processor. -.-

Now once we've gotten rid of the Android bashing, let's return to the topic at hand.

While Windows Phone's interface is extremely smooth on whatever kind of hardware the apps aren't. A Nexus like Windows Phone device may give developers an incentive to make better applications and test them out.

Bashing Android wasn't at all relevant here.

wow you just hate windows dont you,why can you NEVER agree with anyone
no one was bashing android,did you even understand my comment???
your 830 thingy doesnt make sense im sorry to say,that way ill drag the older nexus devices like the nexus 4,7(2012) and 10
why are they still being sold etc
my point being people still buy nexus 4 and older devices as well
i dont see how 830 sales will be affected by another Lumia in the same category

still since you want to bash windows phone for no reason,if the Nexus 5 is such a high and mighty device why cant they offer larger storage or an sd card slot?
atleast with windows phone we have an option to get other windows phones based on our needs

as for older devices etc,androids dont even get updates atleast ios 7 is an option for iphone 4 users
plus its not as slow as most androids are,its still more usable than most androids which ive seen
in terms of older hardware its - WP>ios>BB10>>>android
with android you have to play around with roms etc to get desired results and something will still be lacking
with BB10 you can make a "frankenbuild" with the radio files from older versions and other such files on your own without "android rom cooking" or relying on others/Oems to release
with WP you have DP for EVERY phone including the icon which will bring atleast some functionailty
with ios,on older hardware you can downgrade or use a ROM called whited00r which beats android roms anyday with its ease of usage

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

It makes me laugh tho when people are saying when is the next flagship coming out... For me... The 1520 is the flagship... Its powerful for me and can play modern combat 5 with no lag or slowdown. Personally it may not be the worlds most powerful phone... But do I need a more powerful phone? Not really. It does all I need. What gets me tho are the lemons out there moaning at how they want a powerful phone then just play candy crush or some other low end spec games on it lol.

yeah samsung users seem to think the exynos octa core can play crisis or something :D

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

wow you just hate windows dont you,why can you NEVER agree with anyone
no one was bashing android,did you even understand my comment???
your 830 thingy doesnt make sense im sorry to say,that way ill drag the older nexus devices like the nexus 4,7(2012) and 10
why are they still being sold etc
my point being people still buy nexus 4 and older devices as well
i dont see how 830 sales will be affected by another Lumia in the same category

still since you want to bash windows phone for no reason,if the Nexus 5 is such a high and mighty device why cant they offer larger storage or an sd card slot?
atleast with windows phone we have an option to get other windows phones based on our needs

as for older devices etc,androids dont even get updates atleast ios 7 is an option for iphone 4 users
plus its not as slow as most androids are,its still more usable than most androids which ive seen
in terms of older hardware its - WP>ios>BB10>>>android
with android you have to play around with roms etc to get desired results and something will still be lacking
with BB10 you can make a "frankenbuild" with the radio files from older versions and other such files on your own without "android rom cooking" or relying on others/Oems to release
with WP you have DP for EVERY phone including the icon which will bring atleast some functionailty
with ios,on older hardware you can downgrade or use a ROM called whited00r which beats android roms anyday with its ease of usage

When I talked about Android bashing, I wasn't pointing at you. You didn't bash Android from what I read, I just argued upon your other points.

Nexus 4 and the other Nexus devices still sell because they cost lower now, if they we're priced the same as the Nexus 5, they wouldn't sell much(or at all).

My point is that consumers are generally very sensitive, when Google decided to give a slight manufacturing change to the speaker grill of the Nexus 5 it pissed off existing users.

If another device launched with better specifications, it would make 830 users angry and may also lead to price reductions in the 830(affecting the resale value for those that own it).

Nexus 5 isn't a perfect device by any means, there are certain compromises which are made, thus the memory constraints, but no Windows Phone can offer the same specifications for the same price.

Lastly the ending statements are totally irrelevant, I don't want to get into a fight about which OS performs the best, but I'll just say that Android by no means can be placed at the end.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos