11-04-2014 09:14 PM
38 12
tools
    Background:

Microsoft, like other high margin tech companies (Google, Apple, etc) has very large overseas cash hordes. These can't be repatriated to the US without incurring a large tax burden, so these companies deploy them in various ways. Recently, Microsoft bought Mojang, the makers of Minecraft, for 2 Billion dollars, as an example.

The Question: If you were in charge of Microsoft, what non-US companies would you acquire? Go nuts, I wanna see what people come up with!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-24-2014 10:48 PM
    Vimeo
    Laura Knotek and dkediger like this.
    10-25-2014 01:31 AM
    Buy VEVO and turn it into Youtube's competitor. Gameloft and release games for WP first, and then bring Xbox exclusive games to WP.
    10-25-2014 01:36 AM
    Vimeo's a good one. It seems to be the most well regarded video service aside from YouTube.

I should throw my hat in the ring, since I started things rolling. Here are my top (most likely stupid) suggestions.

1) Blackberry (for the monopoly play. Buy 'em up, strip out what they want, shut 'em down.) It seems unlikely that the Canadian government would allow that.
    2) Ubisoft (pretty cheap market cap these days, since they're struggling a bit. They might even be bought for the same price as Mojang. Would give them a good mix of gaming IP to boost Xbox and Windows 10, and give 'em more cross platform presence).
    10-25-2014 02:00 AM
    Haha! Started an exactly similar thread before: http://forums.windowscentral.com/gen...uisitions.html

The suggestions were:
    Roku
    Garmin
    (Google)
    Tesla
    Ford
    HTC
    Gameloft
    Dailymotion
    Vimeo
    aaaannnnddd... Hostess/Twinkies!
    snowmutt and jmshub like this.
    10-25-2014 02:14 AM
    "Windows based twinkies have not been selling well, possibly due to the shards of glass present in the OS."
    10-25-2014 02:17 AM
    "Windows based twinkies have not been selling well, possibly due to the shards of glass present in the OS."
    That's just the preservative that makes them last forever! LOL
    jmshub, snowmutt, aximtreo and 1 others like this.
    10-25-2014 02:21 AM
    Oh, got one. The smartphone and tablet arm of a Japanese Android OEM, like Sony, Kyocera or Sharp. Based on conversations with people who worked in Japan, Japanese consumers are VERY reluctant to buy anything not made by a Japanese company, unless your company name is Apple.
    10-25-2014 02:29 AM
    I'm sorry I brought the silliness from the last thread to here.... But hey, maybe one day MSFT buys an appliance company and manufacture smart appliances. A smart fridge for that Twinkie, perhaps? Anyone seen CBS's Extant with Halle Berry playing around with the 'internet of everything'? She did that swipe-throw gesture to show a picture on a fridge. That gesture is similar to the Surface Table (Not tablet, but the dev. device Microsoft has shown in tech shows before but hasn't released yet). The pervasiveness of MSFT's product placement in that show is through the roof! They had a house with a virtual assistant, Gina, an allusion to Cortana perhaps? And their bathroom smart mirrors have that Metro/Modern interface look. Not to mention the Surface Tablets...

Back on-topic:
    I could see MSFT becoming that kind of company with a product powering a real smart home/building/office. They'd have to start gobbling up some companies to develop that product and tell OEM's "See, you can do this and that with our product!" They could start off with Roku and Garmin. With Roku, they can acquire the content distribution platform already in place, and just port it to that home PC-media-center-on-a-stick. As for Garmin, two words: wearable tech.

TL;DR:
    I go back go reiterating my desire for Microsoft to gobble up Roku and Garmin...
    Last edited by JM_T; 10-25-2014 at 03:04 AM.
    10-25-2014 02:36 AM
    ha ha thats awesome bro.
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-25-2014 02:38 AM
    google, apple and even facebook, are buying a lot of "Tech" companies.
    this makes their products better more.
    Microsoft should do the same.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-25-2014 02:46 AM
    But hey, maybe one day MSFT buys an appliance company and manufacture smart appliances.
    It wouldn't be a first! Awhile ago I was shopping for a new clothes dryer. The two models that caught my eye at the store were a Samsung and an LG. I found it somewhat humorous because at the time my wife had a Samsung phone and I had an LG! I ended up getting the Samsung, and my wife loves it.
    10-25-2014 04:41 AM
    Verizon, fire everyone, change to GSM and sell only MSFT products. I hope I never hear CDMA, Verizon or ICON again,
    KhawarNadeem and a5cent like this.
    10-25-2014 09:08 AM
    There IS a small part of my that says "Microsoft, BE THE ONE TO FINALLY BUY T-MOBILE. End Deutch Telecom's years of trying to get rid of it!"
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-25-2014 10:39 AM
    Verizon, fire everyone, change to GSM and sell only MSFT products. I hope I never hear CDMA, Verizon or ICON again,
    This rage tho :')
    snowmutt and Ryan ODonnell like this.
    10-25-2014 10:45 AM
    Haha! Started an exactly similar thread before: http://forums.windowscentral.com/gen...uisitions.html

The suggestions were:
    Roku
    Garmin
    (Google)
    Tesla
    Ford
    HTC
    Gameloft
    Dailymotion
    Vimeo
    aaaannnnddd... Hostess/Twinkies!
    Tesla ????
    It would seem like a good idea, however the rumor was not to long ago Apple look to acquire the Upstart Car Company. Change out the Center Dash display with an iPad.
    I was a fan of Tesla until about a month ago, when the world was told of the underhanded way they are dealing with people who buy Tesla wrecks from a scrap yard.
    Covered from any legal action by a person who buys what is classed as a "Wreck", or a car that is deemed salvage by insurance, Tesla is calling up said cars once bought from a scrap yard and entering a kill command. They will only reactivate the car once it is fixed and inspected by Tesla's own safety crew.
    This is indeed a violation and an abuse of power on their part!!!!

It is equal to GM not letting some who owns a Chevy Chevette drop in a 305 or 350ci V8, even though the car was originally a 4 cylinder motor.

Think I am fibbing here...in the long run this may come down to a legal battle headed up by a guy I watch weekly. They convert old and older style cars into modern EV's, any way 1 of the few blog posts.....Jack's Blog and Video site

I have lost alot of respect for Tesla since this came up.

I don't think Microsoft should ever look to partner with a company who does not play fair.
    10-25-2014 10:49 AM
    Loved this topic! Go on!
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-25-2014 02:25 PM
    Thinking again about my thoughts on trying to get help in the Japanese market, maybe instead of buying out a maker of Android Tablets and Phones, maybe instead pick one out and give them a preferred relationship like Nokia had?

Probably wouldn't be able to replicate the whole "exclusively Windows" thing, but you COULD probably get them to commit to a certain number of Windows phones and tablets specifically for the Japanese market, in exchange for financial support.
    10-25-2014 06:50 PM
    I think this is something MS should buy Space Glasses
    it's like MS kinect.
    10-29-2014 04:33 AM
    I think this is something MS should buy Space Glasses
    it's like MS kinect.
    I thinking I agree with you. If the developers of this and MS could produce really great, functional apps to use this with, which include the likeness of Cortana when you summon her, that would be worth the investment. That would be great to put these on and call to Cortana to show you say, the month of November 2014 and have it display a wall calendar along with moving graphics for your events. A dog barking at you for vet day. A birthday cake with candles burning. Palm trees swaying for the week you are on vacation. Some dollar signs falling from the sky on payday. Stuff like that.

But the point is, there has to be a compelling reason to own a device like this and for developers to feel like they can sink their fangs into developing for it. But I like it wasim. Could be the next big thing. Call them Cortana Wear.

The advertizing and entertainment potential with this might be something too. I could see Rubino doing a video demo of a new Surface Flagship phone but with Cortana wear, you'd see countless related objects in the Vimeo video. (also owned by Microsoft)
    11-01-2014 11:39 AM
    i feel MS should buy NextBit and use the tech in NextBit Baton for WP.. would be awesome
    snowmutt likes this.
    11-01-2014 11:55 AM
    Fitbit
    Vimeo (that would put heat under Google, lol)
    Roku (these people are amazing)
    Ubisoft or Sega
    A Japanese smartphone manufacturer (Kyocera would also make them ceramics lol)
    Darthbobcat and JM_T like this.
    11-02-2014 12:37 PM
    Any company that will push Microsoft security to the next level, a must if they are getting WP (or Windows 10 devices, or whatever) into executive and business hands.

Also any company that will get gamers involved. I am dumb enough to still believe in XBOX Music, but gaming is a serious need.
    11-02-2014 08:45 PM
    Buy carriers, push Windows phones. That simple.
    11-02-2014 09:42 PM
    Buy carriers, push Windows phones. That simple.
    An aircraft manufacturer and an airline cannot merge in any way, due to unfair competitive advantages and whatnot.

The same thing happens between carriers and OEMs, to some extent.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-02-2014 09:45 PM
38 12